Hell Shinobi

Oct 27, 2017
Quarantine is being very effective to burn through the backlog.
Alien Isolation has come up and I'm still at the beginning but the aesthetics and sound design of this game are stellar.
The VA for Amanda Ripley stands out too.

Deleted member 52065

Jan 16, 2019
It has some of the best design ever seen in a video game. It's a masterpiece.

Dascu

Oct 28, 2017
If they ever do a sequel, it should be for next gen consoles so they can have a more advanced AI for the Xenomorph(s). I really like Isolation but the AI plainly cheating on higher difficulties sours the experience.
I don't think that processing power is the main bottleneck on the AI. More important factors are just game design, balancing making such an enemy challenging but also vaguely predictable, and possibly some animation/size constraints. Just throwing more CPU cycles to its pathfinding algorithms would not automatically lead to better and more engaging gameplay.

Deleted member 46493

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
I'm surprised people/reviewers said this game was hard. The hard parts for me were the Working Joes - the Alien was pretty fun to avoid even in high difficulties. You'll probably have to replay from a save a few times to fix your strategy but that's part of the fun isn't it?

CaptNink

Oct 27, 2017
B.C, Canada
One of my highlights of this generation. Outstanding game and great use of the license. I disagree though, I don't think a sequel is needed.

Dakath

"This guy are sick"
Oct 26, 2017
There was a sequel! Alien: Blackout was a mobile game that came out last year and it was a direct plot followup to Isolation. It's essentially Five Nights at Freddy's: Alien Edition, though that might be overselling it. It clearly had a tiny budget. It was an interesting experiment, but very short and simple. I can't really recommend it. There was also a line of comics that continued Amanda Ripley's story. Plus a "movie" adaptation of Isolation that mostly consisted of awkwardly lit and animated character models from the game superimposed over gameplay footage. It was baffling.

Speaking of:

Alien: Blackout free for Alien Day. For iOS, Android, and Amazon Apps.

Alien: Blackout

Website-Banner-Alien-Blackout-1920x640.jpg

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
You know what doesn't get nearly enough love?

Working Joes. Their guy-in-rubber-mask-meets-crash-test-dummy design was a masterstroke in retrofuturism.

If they ever do a sequel, it should be for next gen consoles so they can have a more advanced AI for the Xenomorph(s). I really like Isolation but the AI plainly cheating on higher difficulties sours the experience.

The AI is pretty complex, from my (limited) understanding. There were two, for starters; one would occasionally give rough hints to the Alien as to where you were to ramp up the tension, otherwise the Xeno would wander off for ages.

By 'understanding', I mean this short video:

Last edited:

Gen X

Oct 31, 2017
New Zealand
I bought the game in 2014, one of the first games I bought when I picked up my PS4. I've still not finished it. I go through phases, play a bit, enjoy it, play the next day, get scared and think I'll have some heart palpation, put it on the back burner for a year, rinse & repeat.

Not every great game needs a sequel.

Amen.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad it never got a sequel.

One And Done is just fine for some experiences.

Isolation will always be remembered as a masterpiece and it doesn't need 12 sequels to dilute the brilliance of the original.

Smokey_Run

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It should happen with AI enhancements next gen. Or at the very least, I'd love to see a spiritual successor using another property (Halloween, Jason, Predator, etc).

IronFalcon1997

One Winged Slayer
Jun 11, 2018
This game is freaking incredible. It's super fun, perfectly atmospheric, has near flawless art and visuals, and is both an incredible homage to the movies yet feels unique in its own right. It's such an accomplishment.

Dec 6, 2017
US
I can't wrap my head around playing a 15+ hour Hide & Seek style Horror game, that's why I never pick it up.

I absolutely LOVE the first Alien film and the game looks amazing but the gameplay turns me off 100% from what I've seen described. If I can't fight back, I always expect robust mechanics to engage me otherwise, not crouch near furniture and hope the stalker's AI doesn't see my clearly protruding head. I hope I'm totally wrong and this game somehow shirks these stalker gameplay standards and someone can correct me because again, I think it LOOKS amazing.

Apr 4, 2019
I didn't get very far, but I enjoyed it for what it was. Maybe it could have been a shorter game... idk.

Almost want a Gears of War rendition against the berserker (emphasis on audio positioning), maybe mix it up a bit with the wretches & shooting (first person).

Deleted member 66837

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 24, 2020
Currently playing this on my Switch and can't rave enough about it. I'm glad it's a one-off, but really would've liked the makers to have done another horror game their AI work was stellar.

Zampano

The Fallen
Dec 3, 2017
It needs an Aliens game as the sequel that pays as much respect to the source material as Isolation did.

Callum

Oct 27, 2017
I can't wrap my head around playing a 15+ hour Hide & Seek style Horror game, that's why I never pick it up.

I absolutely LOVE the first Alien film and the game looks amazing but the gameplay turns me off 100% from what I've seen described. If I can't fight back, I always expect robust mechanics to engage me otherwise, not crouch near furniture and hope the stalker's AI doesn't see my clearly protruding head. I hope I'm totally wrong and this game somehow shirks these stalker gameplay standards and someone can correct me because again, I think it LOOKS amazing.
There are non-Alien enemies in the game you have to fight and you get tools to deal with the Xenomorph other than just hiding from it. I wouldn't say the gameplay is just hiding from the Alien at all.

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
It's a shame but I'd rather we get no sequel than a bad one. If SEGA don't want to spend the money it would take to do it justice, then leave it lie.

Woodbeam

May 6, 2019
I'll amend this! For free, it's worth a shot. The concept, even if the execution is just so-so, is worth a look, and I like the voice performances of the new characters, small as they may be. Amanda's VA is also just as good as ever.
You know what doesn't get nearly enough love?

Working Joes. Their guy-in-rubber-mask-meets-crash-test-dummy design was a masterstroke in retrofuturism.
Truth! They and the Seegson company as a whole slot into the overall Alien mythos so perfectly, and they play such a critical role in giving the game needed mechanical and emotional diversity. They're just as frightening as the Alien to me, but in a completely different way. Makes taking them out all the more satisfying when it's possible. Perfectly pitched voice direction for them too. Just genius.

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'll amend this! For free, it's worth a shot. The concept, even if the execution is just so-so, is worth a look, and I like the voice performances of the new characters, small as they may be. Amanda's VA is also just as good as ever.

Truth! They and the Seegson company as a whole slot into the overall Alien mythos so perfectly, and they play such a critical role in giving the game needed mechanical and emotional diversity. They're just as frightening as the Alien to me, but in a completely different way. Makes taking them out all the more satisfying when it's possible. Perfectly pitched voice direction for them too. Just genius.

Exactly!

On top of that, their design could've been made by a costuming department in 1978-9, so they fit in a meta way too. From every angle I view them, they're just perfect.

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
BTW if anyone hasn't played it yet it's $2 on Humble right now.

www.humblebundle.com

The Humble Store: Great games. Fantastic prices. Support charity.

HOW WILL YOU SURVIVE? Discover the true meaning of fear in Alien: Isolation, a survival horror set in an atmosphere of constant dread and mortal danger. Fifteen years after the events of Alien™, Ellen Ripley’s daughter, Amanda enters a desperate battle for survival, on a mission to unravel the...

Woodbeam

May 6, 2019
Exactly!

On top of that, their design could've been made by a costuming department in 1978-9, so they fit in a meta way too. From every angle I view them, they're just perfect.
Not sure where I read this, but I'm pretty sure their heads are based on William Shatner's likeness, in a salute to Michael Myers' mask in Halloween. Just to make it all the sweeter.

And I guess I'm finally buying the season pass. It's all just challenge room stuff right? Minimal to no story? I'm aware of the other two DLCs that are based on the events of the original film, and they're cool, but very brief.

Dec 6, 2017
US
Jesus, heads up, this is on sale on Steam for $2 right now. Yes, TWO dollars.

Edit: Oops, was so quick to post it I didn't see the post above!

Masterblaster

Nov 13, 2017
Creative Assembly could probably do an amazing take on The Thing...

Get out of my head! I recently reinstalled this game as i never played more then a couple of hours (partly because the atmosphere still is so amazing that i still get chills) and while i started playing it i had 2 toughts: 1) This game still feels increadible (world design, graphics and sound design) and 2) these guys could've made one hell of a The Thing game if that could've been a next project option :P