Mar 29, 2018
I never ended up getting it due to the complaints it was far too long and over stayed it's welcome. Game still has a lot of fans but the general consensus is what could have been an incredible 7-8 hour experience was dragged to 15-16 hours.
It's essentially a slow start, and a slow end, but in between are 7-10 hours of fucking 9/10 adventure, stealth, immersive sim and horror.

The pacing is broken but it's not game breaking unless you try to play the whole thing in very long sittings

Oct 27, 2017
One of my favourite games of all time, but one I'm genuinely not clamouring for a sequel for. I'd be excited if one got announced for sure, but I've already set myself for Isolation being a one and done thing.

Stef

Oct 28, 2017
Rome, Italy, Planet Earth
As much as I liked the game, the sequel should have been very different in order to hold attention.

Otherwise it would needed to turn towards action and basically become a different game.

Quite a difficult situation.

Comandr

Feb 14, 2018
Look, Sega, if you're not going to do us the courtesy of following this up with a sequel then the least you can do is give us Jurassic Park Isolation instead.
Oh yes. So much this. As much as I would absolutely love another Alien game like this one, I would absolutely take a next gen, intense, immersive JP game.

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
If they ever do a sequel, it should be for next gen consoles so they can have a more advanced AI for the Xenomorph(s). I really like Isolation but the AI plainly cheating on higher difficulties sours the experience.

Jangowuzhere

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I think a better game could have been realized in a sequel.

It was a 5 hour game stretched into a tedious 15-20 hour experience. The visuals and art were A+ from start to finish, but sadly the game design was simply not there. The pacing was simply dreadful. There's something incredibly wrong about you still slowly sneaking around against the alien at the final hour. I'm not sure what the solution should have been, but instead of having a game that continually gets more and more exciting, it peaks 1/3rd of the way through and then flatlines the rest of the way.

This is not a fair comparison, but look at Resident Evil 4. That's a 15-20 hour game, but the developers were always mixing the game up and throwing new and engaging challenges to the player. For Isolation, instead of finding new and exciting ideas, they slightly remix a few scenarios throughout the campaign.

Deleted member 62078

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 12, 2019
I would love to play this again in VR, but I don't think we need a sequel - the game is so long that I feel like I got my fill of being stalked by a xenomorph and hiding in lockers. I would, however, like to follow Amanda's story beyond that cliffhanger.

Mar 19, 2020
Really good game that suffers from some of the worst pacing issues I've ever come across. Have never wanted to go back to it as a result but cannot deny how excellent the gameplay and tension are. I would welcome a sequel that was a lot shorter with less contrivances.

AGoodODST

Oct 28, 2017
The game lasted too long as it is. I think a sequel wouldn't have been as impactful. Definitely one of those games that works best by itself.

Instead the same devs should make Jurassic Park: Isolation pls

Pulp

Nov 4, 2017
Ideally the game would have been shorter and paced a little better. But it still is one of the best horror games I have ever played and it is well worth playing through it at least once. I would love a sequel.

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
Isolation is great but on the other hand I'm glad we didn't have to see another high profile PC series developer like Creative Assembly lose it's identity chasing the multiplatform console game money, and now they are raking in the cash with huge PC releases like Total Warhammer 2 and Three Kingdoms.

Tankshell

Nov 1, 2017
If you have a PC capable of it, MotherVR is there for you. There's probably even a way to use a PSVR headset on PC to play it this way, though it might not be an ideal experience. I played the whole game in VR in 2018 and it was awesome.

Does the MotherVR mod resolve the issue of the terminals and other UI elements being fixed too close to your face? I have never tried playing with this mod, but I did play quite far using the native VR support back when it first came out, which was pretty damn good in itself but had issues like this that meant I never finished it...

Amspicora

Oct 29, 2017
The SEGA curse strikes again

Make a good game -> sell like shit -> "Why they don't make a sequel?"

And when they finally make a sequel obviously the game sell like shit (Valkyria Chronicles 4)

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Not everything needs a sequel. I loved the game and it's my second favorite Alien thing (after the original movie), but I definitely do not think it needs a sequel.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
I wish we got a more action oriented Dead Space 2 style game in that engine/art style as well.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
I'm fine with it tbh, it would probably just have been more of the same and honestly, Isolation already didn't know when to stop, so I'm good.

Jan 21, 2019
If it gets a sequel, I hope it taps into the philosophical stuff from Prometheus and is not just the same game on another space ship.

Oct 28, 2017
Lol, to be honest, very few good games got a sequel this gen. :-(

My main gripe is that Alien Isolation never came to PSVR.
Alien Isolation as it is scared the shit out of me. I screamed more times in Alien Isolation than any other game. How do you think I'd be able to handle the game in VR? After one session I'd be sitting in the corner curled up in a ball.

Miasma

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
If they ever do a sequel, it should be for next gen consoles so they can have a more advanced AI for the Xenomorph(s). I really like Isolation but the AI plainly cheating on higher difficulties sours the experience.

It Cheats on all settings It has two AI's one searching and the other that feeds little snippets of information to your past locations

Dec 31, 2017
It would have been better if the same devs were given a crack at some other film-based IP, like Terminator, Die Hard, Predator or Mission: Impossible

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
It Cheats on all settings It has two AI's one searching and the other that feeds little snippets of information to your past locations

This "cheating" is what makes the alien AI so frightening and compelling so being upset about it makes no sense
The alien is never specifically told exactly where you are so if thats the cheating anyone had in mind, then that person just isn't that good at playing i'm afraid

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
The AI cheating became most noticeable in the medical area. That thing was glued to you there.

Still I love this game and no other licensed game left as much of an impression on me than this. Probably Goldeneye 64 but this wins as I love Alien.

It definitely is a shame we didn't get a sequel and that score from IGN after Colonial Marines

Princess Bubblegum

On Break
Oct 25, 2017
I don't actually mind the length of the game, since I love the aesthetic and atmosphere. My biggest gripe with the game is the parts where you have to walk painfully slow in a space suit. Those bring the pacing to a screeching halt.
This "cheating" is what makes the alien AI so frightening and compelling so being upset about it makes no sense
The alien is never specifically told exactly where you are so if thats the cheating anyone had in mind, then that person just isn't that good at playing i'm afraid
I know the xenomorph doesn't know exactly where you are at any time, but it always knows your general area and you can't, in my experience, ever get it completely off your tail except when scripted. I've beaten the game on hard and nightmare. :P
The AI cheating became most noticeable in the medical area. That thing was glued to you there.

Still I love this game and no other licensed game left as much of an impression on me than this. Probably Goldeneye 64 but this wins as I love Alien.

It definitely is a shame we didn't get a sequel and that score from IGN after Colonial Marines
Yeah, the medical area is by far the most difficult segment of the game, it's a huge spike and then the rest of the game normalizes until you get the flamethrower and then it's just a nuisance.

Last edited:

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
I know the xenomorph doesn't know exactly where you are at any time, but it always knows your general area and you can't, in my experience, ever get it completely off your tail except when scripted. I've beaten the game on hard and nightmare. :P

Considering the xenomorph is the only enemy that can be actually active in several areas of the game that makes sense. working joes and human enemies not only are sparse but have very clear "zones" they won't cross even if you try to bait them in a chase. without the xenomorph being a real threat and able to stalk you around said areas the game would feel mostly empty and lifeless.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
it nailed Alien so well i'm afraid any sequel would be like BioShock 2 or something. not that that would be "bad" but you can't really re-create that bespoke experience twice

Jun 17, 2018
Good game and I enjoyed my time with it but I'd had enough by the end. Not sure I want a sequel in the same vein. I would love to see a more action oriented Alien game that doesn't suck though.

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
Yeah, the medical area is by far the most difficult segment of the game, it's a huge spike and then the rest of the game normalizes until you get the flamethrower and then it's just a nuisance.

Thank god for the flamethrower, it eases a lot of tension after everything they put us throw. The game did a good job inverting everything with the you being more empowered. The Xenomorph ignoring the Joes was a good touch too.

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
I still can't figure out why it was critically panned. It had some problems but the atmosphere and immersion was second to none. I remember all of my friends played through it because everyone just kept recommending it.

Princess Bubblegum

On Break
Oct 25, 2017
Considering the xenomorph is the only enemy that can be actually active in several areas of the game that makes sense. working joes and human enemies not only are sparse but have very clear "zones" they won't cross even if you try to bait them in a chase. without the xenomorph being a real threat and able to stalk you around said areas the game would feel mostly empty and lifeless.
What I was trying to get at is I didn't like how the xenomorph would magically jump from one zone to another because you crossed a threshold. It would be nice to have a well earned temporary respite if you could actually outsmart it. Though I imagine there is probably a technical aspect\limitation that may have made that necessary.

Oct 28, 2017

That's the only part of the game where I lowered the difficulty from hard to normal. Switched it back as soon as that part was over. God that was frustrating.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh yes. So much this. As much as I would absolutely love another Alien game like this one, I would absolutely take a next gen, intense, immersive JP game.

I'm thinking a proper 90s aesthetic JP game. Main menu UI a replication of the "interactive CD-ROM", terminal interaction the same as the UNIX system etc.

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
A an Xbox Enhanced patch (with Native 4K, improved graphics and/or 60fps) would be more than enough for me!

Oct 27, 2017
I still can't figure out why it was critically panned. It had some problems but the atmosphere and immersion was second to none. I remember all of my friends played through it because everyone just kept recommending it.

Because it was hard. That's my take anyway.

To be fair the AI was up to some bullshit at times. It was like rubberbanding in Mario kart except getting a spiky tail through the chest with no warning.