lemmykoopah

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The way the Alien stalked you through the game felt really super dynamic in a next gen kind of way at the time? Like, it was probably scripted as hell but it didn't feel like that. Really cool.

Masseyfects

Nov 7, 2017
5.9/10
Never forget.
www.ign.com

Alien: Isolation Review - IGN

The good news: Alien: Isolation is better than Aliens: Colonial Marines. The bad news...

It was grossly incompetent mainstream reviews like this that contributed to Isolation's initial lack of success...

professor_t

Oct 27, 2017
I never ended up getting it due to the complaints it was far too long and over stayed it's welcome. Game still has a lot of fans but the general consensus is what could have been an incredible 7-8 hour experience was dragged to 15-16 hours.

I think it's still worth trying, and stands as one of the most intense and atmospheric games I've played (and I've been playing games for over 35 years).

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
The developers went on to make Halo Wars 2 :/

What a waste of incredible talent.

HommePomme

Oct 30, 2017
Is the best place to play this now on PC? Would probably prefer PS4 if there's a Pro patch, but I kind of doubt it, and Switch for portability doesn't really feel right

Jun 24, 2019
A fantastic game. Captured the vibe of the first two movies and what makes the xenomorph so horrifying, the best enemy AI I've seen.

Apr 21, 2018
The AI cheating became most noticeable in the medical area. That thing was glued to you there.

Still I love this game and no other licensed game left as much of an impression on me than this. Probably Goldeneye 64 but this wins as I love Alien.

It definitely is a shame we didn't get a sequel and that score from IGN after Colonial Marines
IGN is not the only ones to blame. Gamespot almost gave the same score.
The CNN and Fox News of video games... :/

Hopefully, they didn't release any review for the switch port. That's great, pawls.
Hide and don't come back ever. Sad parasites...

Once again, thank you Digital Foundry, you sold me on the Switch port and helped the game quite enough (over 250k views)

Hope their new game will be announced this year.

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
IMO a sequel in VR is the future. CA jsut needs to wait for VR adoption to be big enough to do it.
I don't think it sold very well being such a early PS4 game

Also creative assembly is just too busy making Total war
Note that the team that worked in Alien isolation doesn't work in the total war franchise.
My understanding was that after alien isolation they did halo wars 2 and are currently working in some sort of multiplayer shooter.

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018

Hopefully, they didn't release any review for the switch port. That's great, pawls.

Once again, thank you Digital Foundry, you sold me on the Switch port and helped the game quite enough (over 250k views)

Gamespot gave it a near similar score yeah, I probably only mentioned IGN because of their popularity in the gaming mainstream.
GS didn't review the Switch version they just said they previously gave it a 6/10. That site is an eyesore on mobile. The Switch port is really good, very surprised it's sharper than the PS4 version. Makes me wonder why Pro/X versions weren't simultaneously worked on while they were at it.

s_mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Yes it is.

Isolation was an awesome game possibly done in sales wise by terrible reviews that left me shaking my head. The game isn't perfect, but I'm really not sure what some reviewers wanted out of a game based on Alien that Isolation didn't deliver. Apparently a tense and atmospheric horror game based on a tense and atmospheric movie wasn't what they wanted.

Unsurprisingly, IGN rated the rather bland and disappointing Aliens vs Predator higher.

I think the treatment of Isolation is a great example of why I have problems with review scores most of the time. Some games are penalised far more harshly than others for their flaws, and I suspect that it's games that try to be a bit different rather than nakedly mass market that are more likely to suffer. It's not a new thing either; I recently ran into an '90s review of Vampire Savior, a fighting game classic, that rated it 38% probably because the reviewer didn't know how to play it.

Deleted member 17402

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My GOTY every single year since its release.

With that said, I've accepted we aren't getting a sequel.

But can we please get a proper single player game for Halloween or Friday the 13th? God damn it. Michael Myers and Jason Vorheez would be some scary mother fuckers to avoid in a game of similar concept to Alien: Isolation.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
This "cheating" is what makes the alien AI so frightening and compelling so being upset about it makes no sense

It also takes away some of the fear when it's always in close proximity to you. The alien is terrifying when you don't know what I expect, but it loses that luster after the hundredth time you bump into it and you realise it has a limited vision and can't find you under desks. You start noticing patterns in its behaviour and such.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
It also takes away some of the fear when it's always in close proximity to you. The alien is terrifying when you don't know what I expect, but it loses that luster after the hundredth time you bump into it and you realise it has a limited vision and can't find you under desks. You start noticing patterns in its behaviour and such.

Dont think so since hiding under desks forever leads you nowhere. Alien only loses it scare factor when you get the flamethrower, when it turns into a minor nuisance you can just spray with a lil fire and it runs away

dep9000

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
Just started playing this on game pass. Really liking it thus far. Is it supposed to be canon though?

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
Dont think so since hiding under desks forever leads you nowhere. Alien only loses it scare factor when you get the flamethrower, when it turns into a minor nuisance you can just spray with a lil fire and it runs away
My point is that when the alien is constantly within metres of you the video-gamey aspects of it are more apparent than they would be otherwise. You start to notice regular patterns in its behaviour and things that a real living creature wouldn't do.

Apr 21, 2018
Yes it is.

Unsurprisingly, IGN rated the rather bland and disappointing Aliens vs Predator higher.

I think the treatment of Isolation is a great example of why I have problems with review scores most of the time. Some games are penalised far more harshly than others for their flaws, and I suspect that it's games that try to be a bit different rather than nakedly mass market that are more likely to suffer. It's not a new thing either; I recently ran into an '90s review of Vampire Savior, a fighting game classic, that rated it 38% probably because the reviewer didn't know how to play it.
Wow.

We shouldn't feed pigs with caviar ha ha :)

Last edited:

Woodbeam

May 6, 2019
Does the MotherVR mod resolve the issue of the terminals and other UI elements being fixed too close to your face? I have never tried playing with this mod, but I did play quite far using the native VR support back when it first came out, which was pretty damn good in itself but had issues like this that meant I never finished it...

I just played a bit of the game with MotherVR and terminals and computers seem fine. The HUD and tooltips are drawn at a set distance from the camera, which will cause them to have conflicting depth with other elements at times, it's unavoidable sadly. It only seems to present a real issue when playing minigames though, since the tooltips can block your view depending on the camera's orientation.

It can totally find you under desks! It just doesn't check under them often. It does learn from your behavior though...
Same for the flamethrower. The more you use it the less the Alien fears it and if you do drive it away it'll come back quicker.

I still don't get the consternation over the first real Alien encounter in the hospital area. Just played it and it's easily possible to blaze through in less than two minutes while never even seeing the alien without using any gadgets. It's literally point A to B to C and done. And if you do have trouble near the end while searching the private rooms you can spam the door overrides and be completely safe.

ket

Jul 27, 2018

ive played thru this game like 6 times and completed 3 nightmare mode playthroughs. it can definitely find u under desks if it has line of sight or hears a noise.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
I just played a bit of the game with MotherVR and terminals and computers seem fine. The HUD and tooltips are drawn at a set distance from the camera, which will cause them to have conflicting depth with other elements at times, it's unavoidable sadly. It only seems to present a real issue when playing minigames though, since the tooltips can block your view depending on the camera's orientation.

It can totally find you under desks! It just doesn't check under them often. It does learn from your behavior though...

Same for the flamethrower. The more you use it the less the Alien fears it and if you do drive it away it'll come back quicker.

I still don't get the consternation over the first real Alien encounter in the hospital area. Just played it and it's easily possible to blaze through in less than two minutes while never even seeing the alien without using any gadgets. It's literally point A to B to C and done. And if you do have trouble near the end while searching the private rooms you can spam the door overrides and be completely safe.
ive played thru this game like 6 times and completed 3 nightmare mode playthroughs. it can definitely find u under desks if it has line of sight or hears a noise.

Not gonna lie, it never found me under a desk. Though admittingly I was leaning back to the sides and making sure I was mostly out of its pov.

ket

Jul 27, 2018

the problem with that part is that the game doesn't tutorialize the alien at all so the player basically has to trial & error their way through what's a pretty simple section. it also doesn't help that the game directs the player towards a room with a glitchy whiteboard in the middle of a well-lit area where the alien patrols around.

that part was extremely frustrating for me on my 1st playthrough on normal mode. i think it took me an hour or more to beat it.

LSauchelli

Oct 25, 2017
Fantastic game. But I think it could use a spiritual sequel more than an actual sequel. Any further game set in the Aliens universe would be essentially more of the same.

Translate the concept to, say, Terminator, or Nightmare on Elm Street and you got a very similar game that's also different enough to feel fresh.

Woodbeam

May 6, 2019
the problem with that part is that the game doesn't tutorialize the alien at all so the player basically has to trial & error their way through what's a pretty simple section. it also doesn't help that the game directs the player towards a room with a glitchy whiteboard in the middle of a well-lit area where the alien patrols around.

that part was extremely frustrating for me on my 1st playthrough on normal mode. i think it took me an hour or more to beat it.
By "glitchy whiteboard" I guess you mean the whiteboard where you find the possible whereabouts of the doctor you're looking for, in the staff quarters room. The pertinent lines glow the way interactive items do to highlight them, which does look weird I guess. That room is off of the general path you follow, with both a door directly connecting it to the hallway you need to pass through and another connecting hall that joins that same hallway, so you can't get boxed in. That room and hall are pretty cramped though. You actually don't even need to enter the staff quarters, you can go straight to the objective if you know where it is already or you can just stumble upon it without reading the whiteboard. The Alien's AI isn't even active until it finishes its scripted entrance, and you can be in the next hall from the room it appears in by then if you run, though a first time player likely won't play that way.

I do think the door override buttons could've been tutorialized better; you're forced to use one to start the scenario, but it's to open a door instead of closing one, so players might not understand that they can use them against the Alien. The last stretch with the small examination rooms you look for the doctor in has a dead end and little defense for the player except for the door overrides. Ultimately I get why that scenario can be frustrating, it's an intentional trial by fire, but it's simple enough that players can look back on it later and wonder how they ever had trouble with it.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
But OP, we did get a sequel!
alien-blackout-logo-trailer-768x432.jpg

All I know is pain and suffering.

Oct 28, 2017

Fuck sake!

You couldn't have made this post a few days ago? You convince me to get the game on Switch after watching that video and I just miss out on the sale.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
Same for the flamethrower. The more you use it the less the Alien fears it

Irrelevant to be honest. It still runs away when sprayed with it, which is the point. Unless youre playing on harder difficulties where ammunition is more scarce you will always have enough to quickly burst and send it away no matter how quickly it comes back. And since you no longer need to thread carefully and hide, you just progress far faster than before

Marin-Lune

Oct 27, 2017
I never ended up getting it due to the complaints it was far too long and over stayed it's welcome. Game still has a lot of fans but the general consensus is what could have been an incredible 7-8 hour experience was dragged to 15-16 hours.
Maybe some day I'll understand that complain of a good thing being "too long". That's just bizarre for a game. For a movie yeah ok as you watch those in one sitting usually but a videogame? Pace it accordingly.

AI is a long game yes, but it's also a slow one, at first anyway. On my second and subsequent runs I was breezing thru and didn't feel it was dragging that much. Maybe a couple of chapters at most.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
Irrelevant to be honest. It still runs away when sprayed with it, which is the point. Unless youre playing on harder difficulties where ammunition is more scarce you will always have enough to quickly burst and send it away no matter how quickly it comes back. And since you no longer need to thread carefully and hide, you just progress far faster than before
Flamethrower was introduced too early imo. It should have been a late game weapon only introduced in the final areas.

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
It's a mostly perfect game in an abused franchise. Take the W and move on like I have. Stars rarely align twice and what we got far exceeded expectations.

ket

Jul 27, 2018

The more you use the flamethrower, the less effective it becomes. That leads to running out of fuel faster.

MoonDesigner

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
I was shocked at how good this game is. A horror masterpiece and one of the best games i have ever played. The sound design is shockingly perfect.

But i don't think it needs a "sequel". All of the amazing stuff from the game would feel repetitive and not as impactful. What i wanted was the team to go and try their hand at another licensed horror IP, like the thing.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
I think it's always better when games don't have sequels. The better option is always a new game inspired by the older games that iterates and gives something different.

kurt

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just start playing this on my switch and already had a bug : seems that this is a global bug....
"alien isolation talk to samuels" wasn't talking :)

Woodbeam

May 6, 2019
Well, Hard is called out as the recommended difficulty when you start the game. And...
...you're not dealing with just one Alien for the entire game.

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017
Save points were bs though.
No way, they were awesome and upped the tension greatly. Many of my favorite memories of the game wouldn't happen without the genius save system.

Gotta love a desperate mad dash to the save station "I think I lost it!" only to get an alien tail impale as you stick the card in.

Here's a neat deep dive with one of the design director on the mechanic, I truly think the game wouldn't be nearly as special as it is with standard checkpoints: https://www.gamasutra.com/view/news...p_Dive_The_save_system_of_Alien_Isolation.php

Ruddles

Oct 17, 2018

That's maybe a bit harsh, for me at least it was only the last 2-3 hours where it got tired. But I agree with the sentiment. And so why would I want a sequel with another 10-15 hours of the same gameplay....

Great game, leave it to stand on its own as it deserves to.

SirMossyBloke

Oct 26, 2017
Funny this thread came up. They just updated it on Steam and added animated cover art (I had no idea Steam supported animated cover art!) and Eurogamer is reporting they took all the cutscenes and are showing them on IGN as a movie.

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
Just started the game from the beginning. I don't think many games this gen has sound as good as this game. This is on another level in surround sound. The dynamic range and low frequencies are just right.

It really is a shame they never got another chance to improve on all of this.