Eros

Oct 27, 2017
I think for me, the isolation in most (horror) games makes it easier for me to get scared. If I have an npc like Ellie with me that has dialogue, it makes it a lot more cozy to play. I feel like this even in Fallout games. So for me, Last of Us wasn't bad to get through at all. A couple of tense spots, but that's it.

ry-dog

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The first clicker encounter, with the right headphones and in a dark room will make almost anyone nervous

Big G

Oct 27, 2017
It's more of an intense/suspenseful game than one that's outright scary, but it has its moments, for sure.

Nightwing123

Oct 27, 2017
Like a lot of people have pointed out the scariest part of the game is the Hotel Basement with the generator but there is not a lot of segments like this is in the game for the most part the game is just really intense.

Daxa

Jan 10, 2018
It mostly comes down to the difficulty setting: if Clickers and bad stealth aren't a major threat to you, then no, not really. Otherwise, tiptoeing around without alerting them is pretty tense in a great way.

YukiroCTX

Prophet of Regret
Oct 30, 2017
I scare easy but TLOU is one of the few games I managed to finish easily in terms of horror. Only one section that really gave me a shock that everyone's already mentioning. I know I couldn't even play L4D very much before getting jumps within the first 10 minutes every few moments or so. Dead space left me quit early as well. That PT demo left my chest hurting.

It's kind of like Ocarina of time where if you could get through a game like that, you could get through this game. Most of the game isn't scary but like OOT, there's some genuinely creepy moments that can make you pause depending on how susceptible you are to horror.

NazzyQ

Apr 6, 2018
I finished my yearly play through of the game yesterday. I am still impressed with how tense the combat encounters are, especially near the end of the game. I think it's due to a combination of sound design and animations. A bullet from an enemy hunting rifle sounds positively *explosive * and direct hits can knock Joel back out of cover.

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
I'm in the same boat as the OP where I own the PS4 remaster but have never played it because I'm so terrible at scary games. I can do tense though! All this talk about the hotel basement is gonna wind me up once I get there I'll bet lol

psilocybe

Oct 27, 2017
It was tense, even though it had Ellie with you.

Specially if you play on Survival without the hearing/seeing through walls.

OP
OP
SixtyFourBlades

SixtyFourBlades

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
I'm in the same boat as the OP where I own the PS4 remaster but have never played it because I'm so terrible at scary games. I can do tense though! All this talk about the hotel basement is gonna wind me up once I get there I'll bet lol
We in this boat together. All this basement talk got me gearing up for crazy stuff lol.
It was tense, even though it had Ellie with you.

Specially if you play on Survival without the hearing/seeing through walls.
Eff that. I'm playing this shit on easy, lol.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldnt say its scary, really. There is alot of tension though.

Since it's a stealth game, you are generally in direct proximity to the "scary" enemies constantly, which really dulls the "fear" you feel from them. But there is definitely tension in those moments. I would say it's less scary than Dead Space, more scary than RE4

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
I'm the same as you when it comes to horror games OP and I got through the one part people are mentioning as scary here.
That segment did feel pretty horror and I didn't enjoy it, but I made it.
That said, I dropped the game another hour or two later as I found it incredibly boring.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
It depends what you get scared by.

There are some bits that are a little scary. I was okay with them, but it was tense. My sister couldn't get through the game because it was too scary for her to keep playing.

Lorcain

Oct 27, 2017
If you're someone that gets really immersed and are prone to being scared, yes, there are definitely scary parts of the game. Don't let anyone try and convince you otherwise. If you're not bothered by any of that, like many in the thread, than you're good to go. I found there to be a good balance, with some scary-intense moments.

ericsp17

Oct 27, 2017
It's more unsettling than scary. They do a good job of putting you in stressful situations but if you're playing on easy it wouldn't be that bad at all. Hope you enjoy it!

Stoze

Oct 26, 2017
No, but it is full of cheap jumpscares, which is part of why I hate the hype on it.
...What?
I can't even think of anything that's a jump scare in this game outside maybe of the zombie that breaks through the glass in the first 5 minutes of the game, and that's pretty tame.

lt519

Oct 25, 2017
It was too tense for me to enjoy. Same reason I don't like watching shows like The Walking Dead. Not like I have nightmares or anything afterwards or am even thinking about it minutes later, but the act of watching/playing is stressful to me.

The scary part is how tense it is because you don't want to die. Play on easy.

I did lol, I just didn't like all the sneaking around the clicker infested areas. After beating the whole basement portion I just said nah not for me and never picked it back up.

andresmoros

Oct 29, 2017
Houston
It wasn't scary to me, but it was very stressful. It took me a while to finish it, because it really took a toll on me. It was fantastic, but Jesus was I always tense. Jump scares were when I got hit from behind, sorta like the chainsaw guy from RE4.

Jul 24, 2018
You know what? It kinda is, just a bit, specifically during that one part where you walk into a nest of clickers underground without Ellie, or the tunnel in Salt Lake City.

Jun 24, 2019
Not horror level scary, but tense kind of scary.

Weirdly, I wasn't afraid of the hotel basement, but boy....the university freaked me out.

I did found one particular boss to be scary in the game, not your typical enemy, but definately wacko and inhumanely disgusting.

BoxManLocke

Oct 25, 2017
France
No, but it is full of cheap jumpscares, which is part of why I hate the hype on it.

Ignore this OP, as it is factually incorrect.

Really curious to know why that poster would lie, though.

There's a single sequence in the entire game that plays out like a horror game, and even then TLOU just doesn't do jumpscares at all.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
Not a horror game as such but it does have scary moments. Not for children. Also graphic violence.

I don't "do" horror either but I really enjoyed this game.

Keuja

Oct 27, 2017
Compared to real horror games its not scary. But if you're sensitive about those things (I'm like you OP) , it can get pretty scary in my opinion but not for very long don't worry. .

Stryder

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
US
It's only scary in that it can be difficult if you don't have situational awareness and the controls are clumsy.

stat84

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I never play full horror games so i found it to be pretty scary in some parts that are already mentioned.

But it's nothing you can't handle probably

Ruck

Oct 25, 2017
I also don't like scary stuff (wish I did tho!) and I finished it. I don't like TLoU very much but not for the atmosphere or the scares, it's just not my kind of game. For reference I've never even made it inside the house in RE7 because I get too scared lol

DjDeathCool

Oct 28, 2017
Bismarck, ND
I remember being stressed out the entire time I played the game. I'm kind of over games that make me feel that way. So, I'll be watching a let's play when Part 2 comes out. I think it sounds like you might benefit from doing the same.

Yabberwocky

Oct 27, 2017
I don't do well with scares/horror at all, and whilst there are definitely some extremely tense moments, TLoU is pretty manageable on the scare front. The infamous basement scene is the worst part.

For anyone who's played SOMA without the use of Safe Mode, I found that to be more scary than TLoU, and SOMA doesn't have any combat!

If it helps, the basement doesn't last that long! If I can do it, you and OP can definitely do it!

Oct 26, 2017
Mushroom Kingdom
We in this boat together. All this basement talk got me gearing up for crazy stuff lol.

Eff that. I'm playing this shit on easy, lol.

I mean everyone here already spoilered the scariest part. lol. That said, now you can anticipate it and know what to expect. The beauty is it will still make you shit your pants, and there are other parts that will be just as intense.

The Listen Mode mechanic helps a lot. You won't get caught by surprise much if you are playing carefully and using it often. Its also balanced enough that it doesn't feel like a cheap mechanic you shouldn't be taking advantage of.

Also don't be afraid to use bricks/bottles to your advantage

Despite what GitGudERA will say playing on Easy/Normal is just as fun. It gives you a good amount of resources to get you out of tight spots and you can basically play it like an action game.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
It can get scary but it's definitely manageable.

Except for the generator part that almost made me shit my pants, other than that you should be fine!