SixtyFourBlades

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
Era, I have not played The Last of Us. I know, I know this is a travesty in the eyes of many, but I haven't had the opportunity to get it (my PS3 died early on in its career with the YLOD).

Now I do have that chance thanks to PS+ on my PS4 with The Last of Us HD Remastered. I have avoided hitting that download button because of one thing: I cannot handle horror games, or anything designed to get me scared...because I get scared quite easily. I don't know much about anything regarding this game, but my impression is that this is a horror/thriller type game. Is my impression correct?

Should I go for it?

KOfLegend

Jun 17, 2019
Clickers made me shit my pants most of the time, but I wouldn't call it a horror game.

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
It can be tense at times but it's not a very scary game. I say this as someone who gets scared in horror games pretty easily

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
It is Walking Dead level. If you can handle that you can handle this. It is not pervasively creepy like PT or RE7.

Oct 26, 2017
Mushroom Kingdom
Not really.

There are definitely creepy and scary parts but for the most part i don't think its a pure horror game. Its more of a action/stealth/survivor game.

Its one of my GOAT and this is coming from someone who also can't really handle pure horror games.

Deleted member 2109

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It can be pretty tense when you're sneaking around the zombies but besides that it's not scary at all.

Common Knowledge

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
There's about one actual "horror" environment in the game that lasts for about 10 min. The rest of the time it's more suspenseful than scary or creepy.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
It's not Resident Evil scary but there are zombies and there are lots of intense segments that will increase your heartrate. Think of it as a zombie thriller with a great story. Definitely not a game for the faint hearted though.

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
A bit, at times, but mainly because everything is heightened by how much you care for the characters. It's not a horror game though.

Deleted member 18807

No, but it is full of cheap jumpscares, which is part of why I hate the hype on it.

Dache

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I wouldn't class it as a horror game in the same vein as PT or anything. It's tense, as others say, playing to its strengths as a stealth-focused game.

Deleted member 6263

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Definitely tense, but Naughty Dog isn't trying to spook you w/ jump scares and being chased constantly. As someone who hates horror games, there were a few moments that had my heart rate up but they weren't because of any horror aspect.

I'd give it a go at least through chapter 1. If you don't like it at that point, then at least you tried!

OP
OP
SixtyFourBlades

SixtyFourBlades

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
It has scary moments, but it's not really a horror game.

It's more tense, stressful, and depressing than scary.

Bioshock is a scarier game.
This is good to know, because I couldn't handle Bioshock...like at all.

So what I'm getting is that the game is not a straight horror game, but it will still have me on the edge of my seat? Sounds quite exciting actually.

sleepr

Banned for misusing pronouns feature
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
It's not scary, it just has some really tense moments. If this game was scary I wouldn't have finished it (which I did 4 times or so).

Hate

Oct 26, 2017
It's scary because it's the most realistic way we'll get a zombie apocalypse.

Tayaya

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
The tension in the game is through the roof. You constantly feel like you are being hunted down or looked for (because you are). The game gives you a ton of tools for pinpointing where the threats are, though, so you always have a pretty good situational awareness. It's light on the jump scares as far as my memory takes me. It's more of a human story than outright horror/slasher stuff. Very emotional game but not one that sets out to be a "horror" game or even a "zombie" type game. Think of it more like Uncharted but with some creatures mixed in and more stealth.

Geg

Oct 25, 2017
There's one specific scene that I think is genuinely scary, which people have already mentioned, but other than that not really

Akabeko

Oct 27, 2017
I am a wuss when it comes to scary things in games, but I didn't think it was too scary.

It is definitely tense though. I usually play at nightime, and it took me some time after each play session to calm down enough to sleep.

Flevance

Oct 28, 2017
Nah, not in the slightest. Whoever find it scary would most likely get an heart attack if they ever played RE7VR, cuz that's the real idea of something scary

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, agree about a couple of moments. But not a scary game. Agree with those saying tense too.

Altered

Oct 25, 2017
not a fan of horror games myself(being a puss) but the game is extremely tense. The only scary part is one segment that lasts 3-10 minutes depending on how fast you are on getting the hell out lol.

Oct 25, 2017
I found parts of it chilling, and there's definitely a jump scare or two, but it's not a horror game per se, and it's so good that even if it was I'd be pushing OP to play it. Someone made a Walking Dead comparison earlier, I think that's more or less accurate.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
It's about as scary as Resident Evil 4 or The Evil Within. It has its moments, but not much more than that.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
The game isn't "horror." I honestly think even if you can't handle scary material this is a game you should give a try, the story will actually drive you and your quest for more will override any fear you have. The game doesn't go out of it's way to be "scary," but there are moments here and there but I think you can handle them. It's not REVII VR type shit.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I didn't find it scary until I fell down that elevator shaft. I was running around and screaming down there.