Last Of Us isn't a retro game

• Nah it ain't

Votes: 1,067 85.8%
  • Yeah not

Votes: 177 14.2%

• Total voters

Shemhazai

Aug 13, 2020
PS1 games were retro when the PS3 was released.

Therefore, PS3 games are now retro.

Those are the rules.

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I refuse to call PS3 games retro. Not when most of them can be released today and not be considered out of time. Game design and graphics have barely changed since back then and that's what really matters, not age.

Axon

Banned
Mar 9, 2020
unknown.png

Art.

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
Lmao šŸ¤£ cracking up at those poll choices. Subject reversed and double reversed negative I don't even know...Well done. šŸ‘

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
If you're playing the PS3 version, you're playing a retro release. No doubt about it.

Specifically ignoring the remastered version would be the definition of retro in my mind.

It's a retro game.

j7vikes

Definitely not shooting blanks
Jan 5, 2020
Think about it, it released on a retro console, it's had one remaster with a remake on the way, looks like and plays like sludge on it's original console, and like ancient franchises twisted metal, Tomb Raider, Assassin's Creed, and Spiderman it's getting a screen adaptation.

It's not often that I find almost every word of an OP wrong in every single wayā€¦but by lord this incredibly low thought one takes the cake.

j7vikes

Definitely not shooting blanks
Jan 5, 2020
If you're playing the PS3 version, you're playing a retro release. No doubt about it.

Specifically ignoring the remastered version would be the definition of retro in my mind.

It's a retro game.

A game that just turned 8 years old I have a hard time calling retro. Just a curious glance at google have a few articles that said the typical time frame for retro is 20-40. Obviously the whole thing is very subjective and maybe I'm just a 37 year old "old" man but I can't see calling a game that's 8 years old retro.

Unless I'm getting the release date wrong or something I just don't get calling it that at all.

Niosai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I think rather than arbitrarily deciding to tie the word "retro" with time passed, we should look more at how taste, standards, production techniques, etc. have changed. Taking this into account, The Last of Us, to me, would not be considered retro.

OP
OP
RetroRunner

RetroRunner

Dec 6, 2020
That's the worst poll yet.

I didn't even have a Thor 2: Dark World option, I can't be the worst

I personally would hardly even consider the PS2 retro.

But a console with a HDMI cable? lol no, you cannot consider that retro yet, and likely not for quite a long time.

Lmao šŸ¤£ cracking up at those poll choices. Subject reversed and double reversed negative I don't even know...Well done. šŸ‘
Thank you

Would Persona 5 be retro?
PS3 version > PS4 version > Persona 5 Royal

I mean mechanically yes.

FinalArcadia

Nov 4, 2020
USA
I can't personally consider anything retro unless it was on the N64/PS1/Saturn or older, and even then, I almost have a hard time considering those retro. So no way am I calling The Last of Us retro lol, even in a partway joking thread.

Gwarm

Nov 13, 2017
It's a story driven, HD, third person action/adventure/shooter style game the likes of which Sony's first party lineup is still full of today. It's hard to call that retro for me because it's still the common style of game today. Games on PS1 and older tend to be very different and so feel "retro" instead of just "old" to me.

When I was playing Super Mario World, I didn't think of Mario 3 as retro. It was just an older Mario game. After Mario 64? Different story.

AppleBlade

Nov 15, 2017
Connecticut
I think some games from the PS3/360/Wii generation can count as retro but Last of Us does not imo. It just plays, looks and feels too much like it's contemporary brethren to be considered retro. On the other hand I do think that Wii Sports, Kameo, Viva Pinata, Call of Duty 2, Folklore and Heavenly Sword can arguably be called Retro.

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's a story driven, HD, third person action/adventure/shooter style game the likes of which Sony's first party lineup is still full of today. It's hard to call that retro for me because it's still the common style of game today.
I too appreciate Sony's old school throwbacks to a more simpler time with their current output.

Fadewise

Nov 5, 2017
I think using the term retro to convey a difference between now and past simply based on time that has passed is doing a disservice to the term retro. I think it needs to convey a distinct difference in style and design choices. Many of the games made 15 years ago and now are near identical when it comes to the style and design, and I do not feel comfortable calling them retro - regardless of how much time has passed.
This, 100%. "Retro" as a concept is more about game design and stylistic elements than just some arbitrary age cutoff. Games from the ps360 era are still firmly in the modern age of game design. There are games that come out today that could just as believably come out in 2010. I would even push that back to mid-to-late PS2 era games.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
No. The design sensibilities between that and what we get now are almost exactly the same. It isn't just some random age thing to me.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
If an indie developer made a game like TLoU, would it be called "a retro 3rd-person action game" or would it just be a TLoU-like

Feels like "retro" is relative to the medium's entire history, rather than than directly proportional to the passage of time. PS1 being retro in the late 2000s doesn't necessarily mean PS3 stuff is now retroā€”it's just old.

klauskpm

ā–² Legend ā–²
Oct 26, 2017
Brazil
Depends on how you use the word "retro", but I believe it is used to describe a style of a game based on an era and not how many years it has or to how many console generations ago a game is from. Like, a new game can be released today and be said to be retro because of the style it is trying to achieve.

monkeycan8

Mar 7, 2020
United States
At this stage in gaming life "retro" seems to mean more than just age its a "style" of game now.

That being said. PS1/N64 is Retro now and PS2/GC/XB are on the edge about to tip over it IMO.
Give it a few more Gens before TLOU is Retro.

AllMight1

Oct 27, 2017
It's a decade defining game, a lot of Sony games (and even Xbox) follow the blueprint laid out by the excellent narrative and gameplay from Last of Us. You may like it or not, but they'll continue with this trend until another game arrives that resets the whole scenario

Jun 24, 2021
Another one of those threads where the title asks something and then the poll actually asks the exact opposite. Why? Why does this keep happening?

jmsebastian

Nov 14, 2019
As others have said, technically, retro means something invoking the style of a previous era. Last of Us would not be retro, it would be vintage to the era it was produced in. But taking the meaning as intended by the OP, I'd argue it's on the cusp if you are using the age of 10 years as your rubric. I'm okay with 10 years being that standard considering how young video games are as a medium. Maybe in another 20 or 30 years, 10 years old won't feel like such a big leap.

I'd also argue that it does certainly feel retro to play now due to some of the technical limitations and lack of depth in the mechanics.

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
The confusion about using 'retro' in terms of videogames is that videogaming is such a young medium.
So when people were playing Mario 64 they would say SMB was a retro game, even though it was only about 10 years gap, and Mario 64 was Retro when playing Mario Galaxy.
This isn't a set formula though, as gaming gets older the stretches of time needed to be retro become longer because the pace of evolution is slowing down. GTAV spanning 3 generations is the perfect poster boy for this.