Last Of Us isn't a retro game

• Nah it ain't

Votes: 1,067 85.8%
  • Yeah not

Votes: 177 14.2%

• Total voters

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
I think it definitely plateaued last generation, where we really did just get prettier versions of the same games. But now with SSDs and the possibilities they can bring to game design, I think it's speeding back up again and that by the time this generation is over we'll see a lot of games that simply couldn't exist on older platforms.
I imagine that will bring differences later on. Part of it is the development time of games as well though. When you work on a game for 3-5 years it just slows things down as well.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
sure if we want to finally admit that the current defining of a retro game is horrible.

borderline asinine meta-commentary

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017
Last of Us is a classic, not retro. It's not old enough to be retro. Like with music and the difference between classics and oldies.

Deleted member 14735

Oct 27, 2017
Retro is the first generation I played and anything before, it never moves from that, I don't make the rules that's just how it is.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
If you're gonna quote from Wikipedia, at least link to the relevant article.
en.m.wikipedia.org

Retrogaming - Wikipedia

Words have different meanings when applied to different context.
Let's not pretend otherwise, please.

If this was 2001 (when we were playing Halo 1) and we were talking about a 1993 game (original Doom), this wouldn't even be a discussion. But games evolved fast during that time.
What this shows, if anything, is how little games have progressed in just under a decade.

From that point of view, TLOU is hardly retro.
I did.

Doom wasn't retro in 2001 either, TloU is not retro now.

Lozjam

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
Not yet. I really think the PS360 should be divided into kind of 2 generations, because it was so long.

2013 isn't old enough to be retro just yet, it's design is similar enough to modern games. So I would more consider it old.

t26

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Games that came out in 2011 and will be 10 years old - Skyrim, Dark Souls, Xenoblade, Uncharted 3
and if you go back 15 years ago to 2006, you are looking at Oblivion

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
I would almost call it low quality bait, but damn calling Assassins Creed ancient kind of hurts lmao

My personal definition of retro doesn't include games released this century :p

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Other places include PS3 in their Retro Games forum.

Although most likely these places are also not normal.
lets be real here, PS3 games are not retro, PS2 sure, but PS3 needs at least to the end of this generation before it can call itself retro.

Deleted member 17184

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
OP read my sarcastic post in the other thread and thought they could make a thread about it.

It's my fault, folks. I'm sorry.

Bjomesphat

Nov 5, 2017
Retro gaming terminology is going to turn into the same debate as JRPGs. You'll have people that take things literally to classify something, and you'll have others that understand how language evolves and the spirit of the meaning.

PS3/360 gen won't be retro anytime soon. Certainly not as fast as the bit eras. Hell, the NES was retro during the PS1/N64 era. And some of those games were like 5 years old at the time.

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
d27.jpg

raeaburame

May 9, 2019
TLOU? Strong no. But I will provide my hot take that the 2000s part of that generation is almost there, those games are ugly and clunky!

LoadRunner

Sep 19, 2020
Retro gaming terminology is going to turn into the same debate as JRPGs. You'll have people that take things literally to classify something, and you'll have others that understand how language evolves and the spirit of the meaning.

PS3/360 gen won't be retro anytime soon. Certainly not as fast as the bit eras. Hell, the NES was retro during the PS1/N64 era. And some of those games were like 5 years old at the time.

I dig this post. Meanings change and some people, like myself, like to clearly define and classify things. It's all perspective.
IMO…
Best played on a CRT screen is retro
A system that plays cartridge games is retro
If it's HD it's not retro.
If you can buy it in a store still (used or new) it's not retro
If under 25's think it's too old and ugly to play it is retro. Lol.

Commodore64

Oct 25, 2017
nobody would have called the nes a retro console when the snes was released and there were 7 years between those consoles. It's been 8 years since The Last Of Us was released therefore a more accurate statement would be that it's a last gen game.
Edit: and to address the remaster argument nobody would have considered mario 3 a retro game at the time because mario all stars was released.

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
I personally would hardly even consider the PS2 retro.

But a console with a HDMI cable? lol no, you cannot consider that retro yet, and likely not for quite a long time.

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
I think using the term retro to convey a difference between now and past simply based on time that has passed is doing a disservice to the term retro. I think it needs to convey a distinct difference in style and design choices. Many of the games made 15 years ago and now are near identical when it comes to the style and design, and I do not feel comfortable calling them retro - regardless of how much time has passed.

Oct 26, 2017
If it'll make people here acknowledge that they're old, yeah, it's a retro game. It'll be a part of retro reviews soon enough >:)

SirDante

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 20, 2020
Oh hell naw. And it's way too soon for a remake, also. I hope those rumors are not true.. but if Jason said it, it's happening.

caff!!!

Oct 29, 2017
Maybe at the start of the next generation can the discussion about the PS3 being retro start considering even now the cross-gen period isn't over and it doesn't look like it will for a year or two considering the world right now.

Also, I may not know what tech will look like in 2028, but calling GTA4 "retro" then is the day I turn into a walking pile of bones

Last edited: