• Nah it ain't

Votes: 1,067 85.8%
  • Yeah not

Votes: 177 14.2%

• Total voters

Son of Sparda

"This guy are sick" says The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Is OP attempting to get that "You know Ellie, we really are the Last of Us" fame (?!) or something?

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Eeeehhhh see I think here it gets a bit grey because the seventh gen did last an unnaturally long time in comparison to previous gens, and then it was re-released on PS4 the following year. If you're playing it nowadays you're playing a version that is almost contemporary to the original release in a way games released before 2010/11 really don't have.

I do think there's a valid point where the gap between the SNES' end and the launch of the PS2 is four years, and that was a long time back then but it really isn't now. As we get further into successive console generations what makes one old becomes more up to interpretation, especially with console generations getting blurrier and blurrier with so many cross-gen releases and the PC market where just about everything released on Steam is still there.

Just, you know, as long as that interpretation isn't "it's not retro if it was made after 2000" because oh my god that's so boomer.

Last edited:

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
I follow the Retronauts rule of 10 years. I don't care if retro is typically 20-30 years, video games as a medium move at such a blistering pace because the tech is always changing.

And yes I consider the PS3 a retro console. Why? Cuz fuck you this is Weekend Era.

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
It may be a troll thread but it's very important we're on the same page here. Retro is a style and not something that is inherently tied to age.

You can't release a game today and claim it has a "PS3/360-style" or is inspired by that particular era. That makes no sense and is simply not a thing.

However, you can release a game today and claim it has a style inspired by NES or Playstation 1.

IzzyRX

Powered by Friendship™
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
15 is a good measure I think, Wii Sports and Twilight Princess are pretty retro now
Dunno, it's 3D tho, my brain can't look at 'modern' 3D graphics and say 'oh, that's retro!' for some reason.
This is where my mind jump at the word'retro':
93a89f3971e5615580e389940938e5a7686c5a488c13367b5946a9d67035c72d_product_card_v2_mobile_slider_639.jpg

croc-legend-of-the-gobbos_2.jpg

e8c503e1917458ef69874d6aa24d8c17bb30331935ccc2007bdc040d0dad602e_product_card_v2_mobile_slider_639.jpg

nachum00

Oct 26, 2017
Things have to go out of style and come back in style to be retro. Otherwise you're just using retro to mean old, and at that point just say old, its a shorter word.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
I follow the Retronauts rule of 10 years. I don't care if retro is typically 20-30 years, video games as a medium move at such a blistering pace because the tech is always changing.

And yes I consider the PS3 a retro console. Why? Cuz fuck you this is Weekend Era.
The pace at which video game move has slowed down a lot in the last 10 years though.

Brood

Nov 8, 2018
I can see it, the endless bickering on ERA between Millennials and gen Z as videogames start catering to gen Z more and more.
It's not retro. Yes, I'm on the losing side.

Alex840

Oct 31, 2017
I don't think anything on PS3/360 is retro. Needs to be at least PS2 generation.

Is GTA V retro? (Came out 3 months after TLOU) Of course not. Shit down this dumb ass thread. Weekend era, smh.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
oh weekend era...

is kinda funny/interesting to mull over for shits, though. was playing LotU1 in front of a friend the other day and he was like "woah crazy what games are capable of these days" and i was like, dude game is nearly a decade old (granted i was playing the ps4 remaster, but still)

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
These threads that call games that are not even ten years old yet "retro" or "classic" are bait threads, if y'all haven't figured it out yet.

OP
OP
RetroRunner

RetroRunner

Dec 6, 2020
Classic weekend-Era troll thread
I think you mean retro

Dat poll and the choices, lmao!!
Thank you

These threads that call games that are not even ten years old yet "retro" or "classic" are bait threads, if y'all haven't figured it out yet.

Just wait for the thread talking about how Mario gets undeserved praise because of the movie, Sunshine, and Super Mario Party 3

Feb 24, 2018
TLOU is not retro, by definition, something is Retro if it's over 20 years old and under 40 years, so anything between 2001 and 1981 is retro. Any game after that like Space Invaders is Vintage and becomes an antique after 100 years of existing.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
The pace at which video game move has slowed down a lot in the last 10 years though.

I think it definitely plateaued last generation, where we really did just get prettier versions of the same games. But now with SSDs and the possibilities they can bring to game design, I think it's speeding back up again and that by the time this generation is over we'll see a lot of games that simply couldn't exist on older platforms.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
Retro is typically used for 20-30 years in the past.

en.m.wikipedia.org

Retro style - Wikipedia

It makes no sense to deviate from this for gaming. Not even 10 years = no, no it is not retro.

If you're gonna quote from Wikipedia, at least link to the relevant article.
en.m.wikipedia.org

Retrogaming - Wikipedia

Words have different meanings when applied to different context.
Let's not pretend otherwise, please.

If this was 2001 (when we were playing Halo 1) and we were talking about a 1993 game (original Doom), this wouldn't even be a discussion. But games evolved fast during that time.
What this shows, if anything, is how little games have progressed in just under a decade.

From that point of view, TLOU is hardly retro.

Slacker247

Oct 27, 2017
No. I'd consider PS2 retro. But I can see why some may call PS3 retro, to be fair. It stuck around for ages, and if they tapped out after year 3/4 of it's life, then it's probably retro.