• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MrNewVegas

Oct 27, 2017
He's not wrong.

He made it to the NFL as a multi year starter. Therefore he is in the top 0.001 percent of QBs to ever play the game from pop warner and up.

BUT

That's irrelevant when he's competing for paycheques against those that are better than him lol.

prophetvx

Nov 28, 2017
He is one of the best quarterbacks in history for the memes.

LastUntidyHorseshoecrab-size_restricted.gif

ryseing

Bought courtside tickets just to read a book.
Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
My favorite theory about the crab legs, and the belief I personally hold, was that he was Jameis Winston and so had a hook-up at the FSU Publix. Managing staff probably condoned it, blah blah blah. The problem likely occurred when a higher-up who was not privy to this arrangement saw Jameis walking out with the food. It would have been an illegal benefit and a huge NCAA violation, so they decided to say he "shoplifted".

There it is.

Venatio

Oct 25, 2017
He's one of the most entertaining QBs, that's for damn sure. Bucs games were wild last year.

Oct 29, 2017
Jameis Winston as an freshman at FSU, looked like the second coming of Peyton Manning. He has that ablility. But he lacks composure and always makes boneheaded decisions on the field. A lot of his picks are just head scratchers.

Reym

Jul 15, 2019
WEll, his name isn't Nathan Peterman, so he has a ways to go to reach the bottom.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
The rare QB who simultaneously plays for both teams on the field. Now that's value for money.

ScampyDamp

Banned
May 8, 2020
Ugh, I hate the Jameis Winston is shit brigade. He's clearly very talented, when he's on he can make every single throw on the field look absolutely effortless. When he's on he's a top 10 QB, but when he's off he looks like a bottom 10. You don't throw for 5000 yards without being talented.

There's a reason why he gets so much more criticism than other QBs, we know what that reason is but we aren't ready to talk about that.....

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Ugh, I hate the Jameis Winston is shit brigade. He's clearly very talented, when he's on he can make every single throw on the field look absolutely effortless. When he's on he's a top 10 QB, but when he's off he looks like a bottom 10. You don't throw for 5000 yards without being talented.

There's a reason why he gets so much more criticism than other QBs, we know what that reason is but we aren't ready to talk about that.....

Is it the 30 interceptions and 7 pick sixes?

He is talented, but you just can't turn the ball over that many times. LIke I said before, the main reason he put up those stats is because they didn''t pull him, most of the time if you turn the ball over that much you get pulled and you don't see the field enough to keep doing it. It's not like a white QB wouldn't get clowned on here for doing the same thing (at least I don't think).

Deleted member 4367

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My favorite theory about the crab legs, and the belief I personally hold, was that he was Jameis Winston and so had a hook-up at the FSU Publix. Managing staff probably condoned it, blah blah blah. The problem likely occurred when a higher-up who was not privy to this arrangement saw Jameis walking out with the food. It would have been an illegal benefit and a huge NCAA violation, so they decided to say he "shoplifted".

There it is.
Is that not established fact? I thought that was established fact.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
"think he's good", "just needs more structure", etc.

The correct take is "fuck this motherfucker"
The thread is asking about his abilities as a player, not whether we think he's a decent human being. You're absolutely right that he's a trash-tier human being. I don't think he's a very good QB either although he certainly has moments that seem impressive.

I'm sure that's part of it, but I don't think it's the main part. 30 INTs, some of which were absolutely inexcusable, is a major issue.
Black QBs have certainly dealt with more shit and been more unfairly scrutinized than white QBs but I think that we're finally seeing that start to change. Is there any reasonable person that wouldn't say that five of the top 10 QBs are Mahomes, Jackson, Wilson, Watson, and Prescott with 3 of the top 5 being Mahomes, Jackson, and Wilson? I don't think there is equality in how QBs are talked about (we still see the BS "student of the game" vs. "freak athlete" nonsense, for example) or evaluated but I do think it's much less of an issue now than it was when Warren Moon or Randall Cunningham were dominant.

Last edited:

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
He was probably looking at his career stats but couldn't quite make out all the tiny numbers so he just guessed that he's the best in the game.

Tallshortman

Oct 29, 2017
Dude just heaves it to his stacked receiver corp and prays they catch it. I mean he's better than some other starters but he's definitely bottom tier for starting QB's. There's a reason he had to sign as a backup.

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA

The thing is he's on and off at the same time. Unless he had a few games where he was on and then had a few when he was just off and tossing picks. Throwing for 5k is impressive, no doubt Brady won't be able to make some of the throws he makes but if he has 20 less picks then they'll be better for sure.

He could get even more criticism for the stuff he's done outside of football but many don't bring it up.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
The thing is he's on and off at the same time. Unless he had a few games where he was on and then had a few when he was just off and tossing picks. Throwing for 5k is impressive, no doubt Brady won't be able to make some of the throws he makes but if he has 20 less picks then they'll be better for sure.

He could get even more criticism for the stuff he's done outside of football but many don't bring it up.

As others have said, he also had maybe the best WR tandems in the game. Godwin alone was top 10 in YAC, and a ton of his throws were for RB screens. Also, they slung the ball basically for four quarters every single game, often because he put them in a hole early. Like I said, the numbers are still impressive but mainly because the offense just kept throwing and throwing and throwing and they never pulled him (I think they did once).

ScampyDamp

Banned
May 8, 2020
Is it the 30 interceptions and 7 pick sixes?

He is talented, but you just can't turn the ball over that many times. LIke I said before, the main reason he put up those stats is because they didn''t pull him, most of the time if you turn the ball over that much you get pulled and you don't see the field enough to keep doing it. It's not like a white QB wouldn't get clowned on here for doing the same thing (at least I don't think).
As someone posted already:
16 games, 6-10-0 record, 343 completions on 547 passes (62.7%) for 4131 yards, 26 touchdowns, 23 interceptions and 6 pick 6s
16 games, 7-9-0 record, 380 completions on 626 passes (60.7%) for 5109 yards, 33 touchdowns, 30 interceptions and 7 pick 6s

Further there were several QBs around +3 TD/Int but don't get nearly the hate Winston gets.

I'm sure that's part of it, but I don't think it's the main part. 30 INTs, some of which were absolutely inexcusable, is a major issue.
Black QBs have certainly dealt with more shit and been more unfairly scrutinized than white QBs but I think that we're finally seeing that start to change. Is there any reasonable person that wouldn't say that five of the top 10 QBs are Mahomes, Jackson, Wilson, Watson, and Prescott with 3 of the top 5 being Mahomes, Jackson, and Wilson? I don't think there is equality in how QBs are talked about (we still see the BS "student of the game" vs. "freak athlete" nonsense, for example) or evaluated but I do think it's much less of an issue now than it was when Warren Moon or Randall Cunningham were dominant.
Point is Black QBs have to do so much more to NOT get the hate. Lamar Jackson was absolutely dominant but still gets down talked due to either his passing or his teams system or how he "won't last in the league with that playstyle.", crap like that. Those with comparable stats to Winston don't get the same hate, you get stupid, hyperbolic, loaded question topics like these. Where's this topic about Baker Mayfield or Philip Rivers or Jared Goff and their comparable seasons?

Is anyone saying Tampa Bay won't be better than Winston? That's a weird statement that doesn't really have anything to do with the topic at hand. And that is EXACTLY what Winston is he was either on or off. That's his career basically, when he's on he's undeniably a top 10 QB, the skill is there, but when he's off he makes some absolutely baffling decisions. And he definitely DOES get the hate for outside of football activities, look at this very topic and how people are bringing up non football stuff.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
16 games, 6-10-0 record, 343 completions on 547 passes (62.7%) for 4131 yards, 26 touchdowns, 23 interceptions and 6 pick 6s
16 games, 7-9-0 record, 380 completions on 626 passes (60.7%) for 5109 yards, 33 touchdowns, 30 interceptions and 7 pick 6s

Further there were several QBs around +3 TD/Int but don't get nearly the hate Winston gets.

Point is Black QBs have to do so much more to NOT get the hate. Lamar Jackson was absolutely dominant but still gets down talked due to either his passing or his teams system or how he "won't last in the league with that playstyle.", crap like that. Those with comparable stats to Winston don't get the same hate, you get stupid, hyperbolic, loaded question topics like these. Where's this topic about Baker Mayfield or Philip Rivers or Jared Goff and their comparable seasons?

Is anyone saying Tampa Bay won't be better than Winston? That's a weird statement that doesn't really have anything to do with the topic at hand. And that is EXACTLY what Winston is he was either on or off. That's his career basically, when he's on he's undeniably a top 10 QB, the skill is there, but when he's off he makes some absolutely baffling decisions. And he definitely DOES get the hate for outside of football activities, look at this very topic and how people are bringing up non football stuff.

I'm the one that posted the Peyton Manning stats. :)

I don't know anyone who is high on Mayfield or Goff after last season. I don't think people defend those two because they're white, but I can't speak for everyone. Goff was extended early because of that Super Bowl season (and I think most fans will tell you that was a mistake in hindsight). The bottom line is that Winston's honeymoon period (ie: his initial contract) was up, same with Mariota, and their teams made the decision that they had seen enough and it was time to move on. If Mayfield's last season on his current contract is similar to Winston's last one, especially with all those weapons, I wouldn't be shocked to see Cleveland move on yet again.

I agree that there is a black QB stigma (athlete, running QB, can't throw, won't last) but I do think that's changing.

just_myles

Oct 25, 2017
He's the qb that other qbs who are not on rosters talk about being better than and still not on a team. Cam should get a job before he does.

OP
OP
Tom Penny

Tom Penny

Oct 26, 2017

Nobody likes Baker or Goff. Rivers has a career 2/1 TD INT ratio and longevity and everyone thinks he's toast and choke artist the last few years. Rivers also has a far better argument as historically one of the best than crab legs obviously. No player who has played at Winston's level should be popping off on how he's one of the best..

Striker

Oct 25, 2017

When he's off; hes bottom three if not lower. Shit is indefensible when you have two outstanding wide receivers. Hes been this way since his rookie year. This isn't a new thing he just started doing under Arians. Payton has done great things for QBs but he won't stand for those brainless turnovers either.

And why is someone trying to seriously compare Peyton Manning playing in the league when you could play pass defense to Jameis where lots of guys can put up yards?