• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Is it kosher to share financial milestones with friends?

• Sure, why not?

Votes: 219 32.1%
  • No, keep your damn mouth shut.

Votes: 464 67.9%

• Total voters

JohnsonUT

Oct 27, 2017
Genuine question for the "my friend group shares everything financially" people: do you and your friends share financial downturns? In other words have you had to deal with a friend sharing a bad financial situation?

If yes, that seems like it could be awkward and difficult when others are doing well. If no, it could be nobody is struggling or they don't feel comfortable sharing that type of financial aspect.

Either way, I am curious how this plays out.

Dog of Bork

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
This. Center it around an actual event. Like paying off your student loans. People can relate to that mOre than having 500k in savings or whatever.
Yeah lol I hope OP meant milestone as in "bought a house" or "got a promotion" and not "I now have a net worth of X".

My friend group is pretty open about our finances (including salaries), but that's definitely not the norm.

To answer the post above me, yes we share bad news. Most of us have been impacted by the oil downturn and almost half of us needed new jobs during that time.