• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Is it kosher to share financial milestones with friends?

• Sure, why not?

Votes: 219 32.1%
  • No, keep your damn mouth shut.

Votes: 464 67.9%

• Total voters

smurfx

Oct 25, 2017
i wouldn't bring up my finances to friends unless they ask me something about them. even then i wouldn't want to get to specific like giving them a number.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
That would be dumb

Just take your friends out and have a good time.

Money is a very weird thing to bring up in general.

This kind of thing makes other people feel bad about themselves. You see this in social media all the time.

Sybil

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
If it was like, "Hey, I bought a house!" Then yeah, that's cool. You can have a little housewarming party too (in a non-pandemic situation), and then it becomes something they can actively celebrate, participate.

But if it's like, "Hey, I have (x) in my savings acct!" and that's it... maybe pass on that.

padlock

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If one of my close friends were ever to ask me about my finances, I wouldn't have any issues being completely honest with them, but it's not something I'm going to bring up unprompted. Seems very tacky.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
Celebrate and your success with money by yourself. Don't flaunt it in front of others, you don't know their financial situation

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017
Don't brag about money

This. I make good money but rarely say those words. I also grew up poor. (Christmases without presents, donated clothing, and food stamps.)

Edit: this also reminds me of a friend of mine who makes very good money, but I would never know. One day I did the "how much did you pay for this jacket" Seinfeld bit with him. "Tell me you don't make $200k." (No response) "lol are you kidding me?!" His response "I grew up poor and never thought I'd ever make this much so I don't talk about it." Now that's class.

Oct 25, 2017
As others have said if your buying a house / paid off student loans, etc. that should be no problem.

If it's a personal savings goal I wouldn't celebrate it with anyone that either didn't know you were working toward that goal or you aren't sure they wouldn't potentially feel bad.

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
Wait, you want to celebrate your wealth by telling your friends how much money you have? Did you think this through? I dont even know why you would celebrate about money.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
OP, you want it to be like this:

party-on-yacht-430x280.jpg

But it's gonna be like this:

arrested_development_4000_suit_gob.gif

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017
This is the sort of thing that shouldn't be socially unacceptable, but it is. It'll just create foster resentment/insecurity among your friends. I wouldn't do it.

Voyager

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, no way I celebrate what I'm making. Even if others are bragging, I'd feel weird about it.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Depends. If your friends alread knew of your goals and they know it's been important to you and they're all stable then sure. Why not?

But if you all don't typically discuss your personal fiscal situations then I'd keep my circle a bit tighter when discussing milestones.

This is the sort of thing that shouldn't be socially unacceptable, but it is. It'll just create foster resentment/insecurity among your friends. I wouldn't do it.

Meh. When I was broke as shit couldn't afford a car or anything my boy was doing fucking outstanding for a dude in his early 20's. Bought a car straight cash and had dough stacked. But jealousy/resentment/insecurity never really factored into it.

We were just happy for each other regardless of where we were. Just happy to see the other progress. But he never bragged like that. Never got into specifics regarding his funds but we knew he was doing well and when we discussed our situations he'd share his perspective. Just depends on the friends. Rock solid friends shouldn't foster resentment for the other success.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lumination

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
I honestly thought people wouldn't take the word "celebrate" to mean throwing a party, especially during covid lol. I'll add it the to OP.

But honestly thought it would be a bit more one-sided than this. I guess a lot of it has to do with everyone's personal relationships with their friends too.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
If you got good friends - yes. I know exactly how much each of my friends make and not once has money ever become a thing with us. One of my close friends makes over twice as much as me, and he and I still split bar tabs (pre-COVID obviously) as an example.

bombermouse

Oct 25, 2017
What news, "hey, I got money" is not news, even if you worked really hard for it. Like first post said, don't brag about money. Celebrate after buying that house.

Good4Squat

Nov 2, 2017
I probably wouldn't do that myself, just because I'd worry I would make others feel bad about their own situations.

Desi

Oct 30, 2017
Dont' see why not. My whole friend group knows how much each other makes and we're very transparent with money situations. Like when they pull in a bigger rack, gives me hope that I can maybe move up as well.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
Dont' see why not. My whole friend group knows how much each other makes and we're very transparent with money situations. Like when they pull in a bigger rack, gives me hope that I can maybe move up as well.
Yup. Also gives you a chance to compare career paths, what steps they took to get there, etc.

These businesses don't want us discussing money because that information leads to people pursuing better-paying jobs.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
This here. With real close friends you can celebrate anything you want. But you should know where to draw that line and with who.
A lot of people feel worse when someone else is doing well and they are not. It's why social media causes so much depression.

It doesn't work that way on everyone but I tell my wife not to post some shit on Instagram because I know it makes some people feel bad.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
Well, do you generally talk with your friends about financial milestones? Did they ever come to you to tell you how much they are making? It fully depends on how close and familiar you are with them. If you don't chat much and now out of nowhere you get in touch with them to brag about money that would be rather weird.

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Oct 27, 2017
It's not worth it. Compared to the average wage in the US, I'm rich as shit and I grew up lower middle class. Plenty of reason to celebrate, but I never would. Celebrating financial milestones is the worst kind of bragging (it's not even stealth). If you want to celebrate milestones, do it for your student loan debt or buying a house or something. Celebrating something like $100k in saving is just...please no.

Frag Waffles

Apr 7, 2018
I would say no. Generally people aren't going to want to hear about your latest portfolio milestone. Much less celebrate it.

ChrisD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Depends on you and your friends. Like, if this was a well-known goal you've been aiming for and they knew it, go off. But it would seem odd to me if nobody knew you were aiming for X number, and you announce it. Personally, glad to see friends doing well. Big stuff like raises, or even smaller mentions like "savings doing real good."

But none of 'em have ever mentioned a specific goal, so if suddenly one said "I hit 50k in savings!" I'd be like, "wow that's awesome! (..but what's that number for?)" lol

THIJJ

Oct 26, 2017
imho this is the kind of milestone you personally party over regardless. And if you need to ask the question, I'm assuming you already may have an inkling that some may not take it well. Don't do it.

Some are saying it's real friends vs not, but I don't think it's entirely that simple. Even very good friends can have feelings of inadequacy come up when it comes to comparisons of money. Unless everyone is blatantly balling.

Fei

Oct 25, 2017
I'd tell me parents every detail because they'd genuinely be happy without any sense of jadedness. My friends would be happy for me, but it would be awkward. I don't know any of their financials, so it'd be weird to make a thing about some of mine. I guess if you all openly, regularly share those details, there'd be no problem.

Thebox

Dec 26, 2019
House warming party, promotion, starting a buisness, ect., yes. I personally think it is rude and unnecessary to talk about cash in my bank account or savings. I think my friends and I know where we all stand economically without having to give specifics. I have friends who make much more than me and others who make much less. Doesn't change how I feel about them. I personally have never talked about savings or anything with any of my friends nor have they. I have friends who are doctors and lawyers and some who work retail and food service. I think we all can get an idea of where we are financially by seeing the type of house, car or other things we have. No need to extrapolate on any of that.

Last edited:

yyr

Nov 14, 2017
White Plains, NY
Your friends can see how well you're doing when you make purchases or upgrade your living space. They don't need to know about your savings. If you were to tell them, you also run the risk of having them feel like you're rubbing it in their faces, even if that wasn't your intent. So I wouldn't, if I were you.

Congratulations, though.

Nothing1016

Oct 25, 2017
California
My friends and I talk about money all the time. We are all very open about our financial situations. I recently got a new job at Intel and they know everything from my salary to RSUs.

We have been friends for over 14 years at this point (I'm 27) and we give each other advise and recommendations on basically everything. We also like to celebrate.

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
That's a good way to put it. I think I feel the same way. But why do we feel this way?

A house is a cool thing to do fun things with to celebrate. You get to have the party in your new house. It's like a bigger version of having a barbecue to break in the new grill you bought.

A party to celebrate savings doesn't have any of that. It's just an announcement of wealth.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Yea, me and almost all of my friends grew up poor as hell. We were all happy when one of us "made it". Or at least got past the struggle of living check-to-check. It's not bragging, they're your friends. If they're unhappy about it there's nothing you can do. I was happy for all of my friends that got established years before I was able to do the same.

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
My friends group is close as hell. Share basically everything about our lives in a group text. Financial milestones included. If they're your REAL friends they'll be happy for you.
While this might be true in a surface level, overall I feel it's kind of a shallow, over simplified view.

People are complex beings and even deep friendship isn't black and white. Someone can be happy for another in a conscious level but deep down, feel unhappy because of various things, such as huge inequality in their lives. Doesn't mean they're consciously blaming you for it, but such things can easily cause feelings along the lines of "what the hell am I doing with my life" or "why the hell are they bragging about such things?", for example.

Like, I've been doing really well during this pandemic, but I wouldn't brag about it to a friend who works as a nurse and gets shitty salary and is in danger of getting exposed to the Coronavirus every day. It's completely unfair that there is such inequality. I might say I'm doing good but there's no point in sharing everything about my financial progress and how well exactly I'm doing, unless asked.