• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What should the abbreviation be?

• DS

Votes: 341 13.4%
  • DS5

Votes: 1,674 65.6%
  • DSe

Votes: 181 7.1%
  • DSns

Votes: 37 1.4%
  • DSense

Votes: 295 11.6%
  • Other (comment)

Votes: 25 1.0%

• Total voters

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Wish the triggers were more curved. Even with the PS4 controler i slip of the triggers sometimes.

Antipode

Jul 25, 2019
It's their controller identity. They'll absolutely won't
I really don't consider the symmetrical sticks to be part of their "identity" necessarily. The button symbols, absolutely. But I doubt anyone would bat an eye if they released two editions of DualSense with both orientations. I'm one who finds the symmetrical stick placement to be really uncomfortable.

Ludon Bear

Alt Account
Banned
Mar 4, 2020
The majority of games use the controller stick, so why doesn't it have the main position instead of the
11396097-7804615740625038.jpg
I still don't see any colored buttons. The Switch actually knows, if a Pro Controller is in use and some games change the display of the buttons. But it is still all in grey.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
reminds me of an Armadillo, or one of those crab things with the long pointy tail - the armoured 'plates' on the controller give me that vibe

Acewon

Oct 2, 2018
I think the controller looks kinda good but it would have looked sexy as hell if the whole thing was white.

dstarMDA

Dec 22, 2017
Identity over functionality really sums this design.
Sony is really bad with designing controller, that why they didn't changed there design, since the the first PlayStation ... they just added stuff to a SNES controller.

This could have been true from DS1 to DS3, but both DS4 and DualSense have been drastic evolutions in form and function, certainly as much as the successive Xbox gamepads generations.

Outside of build quality (particularly around launch), I've been very happy with the DS4, so I'm even surprised to see such a strong change.

Oct 27, 2017
GOD what a relief for the jack. Now we only need to know if the battery is not worse compared to the DualShock 4 and I think i'm going to be very happy about this new baby.

SgtCobra

Oct 25, 2017
The PS logo hasn't been colored for a long time now in their marketing. It's not gonna happen. Glad they went away with the colored buttons too, the controller looks more sleeker that way and I dont't really care about the nostalgia factor it brings.

The real crimes are that sticks and triggers are unchanged, I dare to bet that the build quality of the sticks and the battery is just as shitty as the DS4.

Last edited:

zeuanimals

Nov 23, 2017
It might look better but removing colours from the face buttons is objectively worse from an accessibility perspective and will make it much harder for new players to learn.

That's true, but people seem to get along fine on Nintendo systems which don't have colored buttons. The PSP and Vita also didn't.

zeuanimals

Nov 23, 2017
I really don't consider the symmetrical sticks to be part of their "identity" necessarily. The button symbols, absolutely. But I doubt anyone would bat an eye if they released two editions of DualSense with both orientations. I'm one who finds the symmetrical stick placement to be really uncomfortable.

What do you personally find uncomfortable about it?

Sylmaron

Oct 28, 2017
Good. I expected no less. Now we just need more audio settings like bass/treble and left/right audio balance controls.

Neuroxia

Mar 31, 2019
That wasn't the original PSX controller was it? I vaguely remember seeing it at some point, but I thought it was closer to the PS2 release. Looks like an off-brand Logitec PC controller from the late 90s or early 00s.

It's the PS3 controller that they've shown during the console reveal. I'm really glad they went with SixAxis/DualShock 3 instead.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
Awesome, was a bit worried they were gonna try and force people to use their proprietary wireless headsets. The headphone jack is also just one of my favorite controller changes from this gen.

Ertai

Oct 28, 2017
Good. Having to clarify this in this way shows how Sony messed up this reveal yet again. Have they made any announcement regarding PS5 that did not leave us with questions?

They should really shape up

nny

Oct 25, 2017
There will be an audio jack...

...on the Bluetooth dongle...

...that gets its power from the USB-C port!

nujabeans

Dec 2, 2017
Are we sure? It could be a variable audio jack.

Fake edit: Seriously though, good to have this confirmed. Also shows Sony are holding some details close to their chest with this controller (such as gyro, possible back buttons).

Deleted member 4970

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We need to come up with a better abbreviation for the DualSense since it's not actually DS5 according to them

We must revert back to DS

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
It might look better but removing colours from the face buttons is objectively worse from an accessibility perspective and will make it much harder for new players to learn.
Not a dig but I'm genuinely curious as to how it's worse in terms of accessibility?

To me getting rid of the colour and leaving just the symbols just seems to make things simpler for everyone doesn't it? Most people would be able to associate a symbol onscreen with a symbol on the controller and the loss of the colour makes things simpler for people with various types of colour blindness.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
Good. Having to clarify this in this way shows how Sony messed up this reveal yet again. Have they made any announcement regarding PS5 that did not leave us with questions?

They should really shape up

The sense of panic lowers our expectations when we expect Sony to mess up - and when it turns out it was just stuff not being mentioned, suddenly we're ok with lowered expectations.

All part of the plan. /s

zeuanimals

Nov 23, 2017
The majority of games use the controller stick, so why doesn't it have the main position instead of the

I still don't see any colored buttons. The Switch actually knows, if a Pro Controller is in use and some games change the display of the buttons. But it is still all in grey.

Camera control is critical in a lot of games leading to the right thumb using the right stick for something like 90% of the time and yet most controllers don't put it in the main position.

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That wasn't the original PSX controller was it? I vaguely remember seeing it at some point, but I thought it was closer to the PS2 release. Looks like an off-brand Logitec PC controller from the late 90s or early 00s.
It was the controller for the original PS3 reveal in 2005. Never saw release, as by E3 2006 they had switched back to the traditional DualShock design.