Votes: 295 11.6%
  • Other (comment)

Votes: 25 1.0%

• Total voters

Shotterke

Prophet of Regret
Oct 31, 2017
Belgium
That is one ugly controller but I don't really care as long as it is more comfortable then the DS4. It looks better in black though so I hope you can also buy a black version on launch.

CheeseWraith

Oct 28, 2017
Looks ergonomically nicer than the DS4, hope they pack a bigger battery this time around.

I really hope they release another USB Adapter for PC, like they did for DS4
Screen_Shot_2016-08-23_at_3.26.55_PM.0.0.png

I hope that USB adapter works with the Dualsense too!

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
Honestly, I think it looks really nice. Shame that it appears that there aren't going to be any paddles but I'm glad that they've concentrated on improving areas on the controller that actually can be improved.

Really glad that they've extended the light bar further round the front of the controller. I think that opens up some interesting options for game developers like changing colour when you're hidden in a stealth game, in something like Alien you could use it in conjunction with the speaker to see if the creature is nearby, lighting up red if you've been shot or injured in a game, flashing lights if you're being chased by police etc. Actually being able to see the light this time should be a big plus.

The thing I don't get it where's the light on the back of the computer so that you can use it with Playstation VR? The only thing I can think is that the next-gen camera doesn't need as much light or it uses some other kind of sensor to detect the controllers position in space.

Fascinated by what the 'Create' button does. I'm assuming it's going to be more than just automatically opening Share Factory but at the minute I can't think what they can offer in terms of simple content creation that would work as simply as the 'Share' facility.

From the look of it I'm guessing that the PS4 is going to have a b&w colour scheme. Pretty bold choice that's either going to look high-end or age about as well as my knees.

Yes it's undeniable that it bears more of a resemblance to the Xbox series of controllers now but as long as they're constantly refining the product with each generation then I don't see an issue.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Really glad that they've extended the light bar further round the front of the controller. I think that opens up some interesting options for game developers like changing colour when you're hidden in a stealth game, in something like Alien you could use it in conjunction with the speaker to see if the creature is nearby, lighting up red if you've been shot or injured in a game, flashing lights if you're being chased by police etc. Actually being able to see the light this time should be a big plus.

Unless they offer you the option to fully shut the lights off, it's going to be a nightmare. There's nothing better than being immersed in a game only to have lights flashing in your face randomly. It's even more pronounced in a darker environment. The DS4 was bad enough shining its bar onto the TV, but this is going to be worse. Not everyone plays in rooms where they have a bunch of lamps or overhead lights on 24/7.

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't expect so. I think Ryan's comment in the blog post sums up the approach in terms of this new generation being a 'real' generational shift - that is, PS4 being PS4 and PS5 being PS5.

I don't think they want developers having to worry about two targets for different rumble capability, or two sets of trigger capability. It might not matter much for cross gen or multi-plat games, but I think to whatever extent that they can, they'll want devs to take advantage of the new controller, and for exclusives, having to map back to DS4 would put a cap on the extent to which they could use things like adaptive triggers.
They have to at least for PSVR. And it could always default to no rumble on DS4 at all. I mean, the ability to disable rumble completely will most likely again be an option after all, also on PS5. Besides rumble, there is nothing really new on the PS5 controller. Same buttons, same "features" (I mean, the share button is a button like the create button, the function behind that is software).

G_Zero

alt account
Banned
Mar 19, 2019
Unless they offer you the option to fully shut the lights off, it's going to be a nightmare. There's nothing better than being immersed in a game only to have lights flashing in your face randomly. It's even more pronounced in a darker environment. The DS4 was bad enough shining its bar onto the TV, but this is going to be worse. Not everyone plays in rooms where they have a bunch of lamps or overhead lights on 24/7.
It looks like the light is going to be pretty dispersed around the touchpad. I doubt that it will be bothersome like the current DS4 flashlight, more like accent lighting in a car.

Roland

Oct 28, 2017
I'm going to be disappointed if they are not going to change PlayStation logo to a full-color one :(

To me it looks such a design flaw.

DodgeAnon

Oct 25, 2017
The more I look at it, the more I really like the look of the white portion.

The idea to move on from the childlike PlayStation button colours is really genius, it really gives it a sleek and modern look.

The renders that have appeared since with the colours re-added make it look so cheap and toy-like by comparison.

Hell, even Nintendo have moved on from those coloured buttons, I'm glad Sony have done the same.

Ludon Bear

Alt Account
Banned
Mar 4, 2020
It's their controller identity. They'll absolutely won't
Identity over functionality really sums this design.
Sony is really bad with designing controller, that why they didn't changed there design, since the the first PlayStation ... they just added stuff to a SNES controller.

Hell, even Nintendo have moved on from those coloured buttons, I'm glad Sony have done the same.
Nintendo moved away from it, because the buttons on the Switch can also used as controller inputs. Colored button could confuse users, so that had to change it for the sake of the design. I would say, it is a different situation.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
The idea to move on from the childlike PlayStation button colours is really genius, it really gives it a sleek and modern look.

The colours coincide with on screen prompts. There is nothing childlike about having colour coordinated buttons outside of whatever you have convinced yourself of and I wish control pads brought that back.

Kaswa101

Oct 28, 2017
Identity over functionality really sums this design.
Sony is really bad with designing controller, that why they didn't changed there design, since the the first PlayStation ... they just added stuff to a SNES controller.

Nintendo moved away from it, because the buttons on the Switch can also used as controller inputs. Colored button could confuse users, so that had to change it for the sake of the design. I would say, it is a different situation.

Nah

spookyghost

Oct 28, 2017
I think it looks great, love my two tone xbx though.

Looks far more comfortable than the DS4 and USBC means we might be getting some super fast charging.

No paddles seems like a big oversight though, thought they'd be standard this gen.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
That's subjective though. I've always had it set to the lowest setting to eek out battery life but the light bar on the DS4 has never bothered me either in bright daylight or completely dark environments.

However, given that I've seen it mentioned a number of times I imagine that they'll likely incorporate a method to turn it off fully this time around.

Foxnull

Alt-Account
Banned
May 30, 2019
The more I look at it, the more I really like the look of the white portion.

The renders that have appeared since with the colours re-added make it look so cheap and toy-like by comparison.

Yeah the >>>PlayStation<<< really is a gaming device for grown ups now ;)

Kuni

Oct 27, 2017
Fair impressed with that like. Looks like a good evolution of the DualShock 4 and looks comfy as well. Hope there's a black version (I'd be shocked if their wasn't) and that the price isn't crazy.

PS9

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I remember it well; people were so angry but wanted to try it. I really wished that they released it as an option at the time. It was so cool looking. Did anyone here actually get to use it at the E3 event?
It was TINY. There's an image floating around of a booth babe holding it and it is shocking how small it was.

DodgeAnon

Oct 25, 2017
The colours coincide with on screen prompts. There is nothing childlike about having colour coordinated buttons outside of whatever you have convinced yourself of and I wish control pads brought that back.

It looks as though Sony are on the same page as me, given that's how the controller looks.

I'm going with Sony's design team > random internet person on this one. Sorry.

zeuanimals

Nov 23, 2017
What does the lack of the big light mean for PSVR use?

It's probably got a better way of tracking now. The light tracking was never the best solution but it was probably economical since they already had that tech and people owned PS Moves. I know people who were raw about how much of a let down the moves were on the PS3 cause there wasn't enough support, so it makes sense to give it it's time to shine (pun unintended) on the PS4 with VR. And now we're gonna see PSVR shine on the PS5 cause some don't think we saw it happen on the PS4, until PSVR 2 releases and blows it out of the water.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
That's subjective though. I've always had it set to the lowest setting to eek out battery life but the light bar on the DS4 has never bothered me either in bright daylight or completely dark environments.

However, given that I've seen it mentioned a number of times I imagine that they'll likely incorporate a method to turn it off fully this time around.

I know you said that it's subjective, but it's pretty glaring on an OLED any time you're playing in an area that's dark, or it transitions into a dark scene, even briefly. Even on the "lowest" setting, there's always this bright blue bar in the middle of the screen unless you actively aim the bar towards the ground. Initially on my old DS4 controller I just used electrical tape, and the problem was solved. With my newer controller though I didn't want to have to contend with the really sticky residue from the glue after it's been on a while. Even with two strips of tint, it still shows up on the screen.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
It looks as though Sony are on the same page as me, given that's how the controller looks.

Sony's design team isn't infallible and they went with the coloured symbols every other time. They're only "right" this time because you personally like it.
Either way it doesn't say anything about that style being for children while this is somehow more "adult". That's all you.

thenexus6

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Awesome tech inside, but visually it looks like a futuristic toy. Maybe different colour ways might help with that.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
I know you said that it's subjective, but it's pretty glaring on an OLED any time you're playing in an area that's dark, or it transitions into a dark scene, even briefly. Even on the "lowest" setting, there's always this bright blue bar in the middle of the screen unless you actively aim the bar towards the ground. Initially on my old DS4 controller I just used electrical tape, and the problem was solved. With my newer controller though I didn't want to have to contend with the really sticky residue from the glue after it's been on a while. Even with two strips of tint, it still shows up on the screen.
Absolutely, for a small percentage of people the light is an issue and that's why I think Sony will probably recognise that and offer the function to turn off the light.

jem

Oct 25, 2017

It might look better but removing colours from the face buttons is objectively worse from an accessibility perspective and will make it much harder for new players to learn.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
Wait... there's a PC adapter for the DS4?
They released it in 2016, and with fairly limited supply. I got it back then since I wanted something that supported the audio jack of the DS4 on PC, without requiring me to muck about with software.
I hope that USB adapter works with the Dualsense too!

I wonder about that too, I guess it depends on whether the Dualsense is backwards compatible with the DS4, which doesn't seem like a given. It's possible, though.

dunkzilla

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018
The only controllers I've felt proper 'believable' haptic feedback in are the Vive controllers (yet to try the Steam controller or Valve Index).
The Switch controllers, Oculus Touch etc. has not been near that level. Will be fun to see how the DualSense compares.

The programmable resistance in the Adaptive triggers will be a cool first.
I really really hate the Switch implementation of haptic feedback, I don't know if it's just bad implementation of it in games but it doesn't feel like proper feedback. I hope this is better, I love it's use in other things like my phone and laptop. Yet to be convinced it's good enough for a controller.

zeuanimals

Nov 23, 2017
Sony's design team isn't infallible and they went with the coloured symbols every other time. They're only "right" this time because you personally like it.
Either way it doesn't say anything about that style being for children while this is somehow more "adult". That's all you.

Yeah, the console could come with one of those wire-block sets you'd see in a hospital waiting room sitting on top for all we know.

BlueTsunami

Oct 29, 2017
That wasn't the original PSX controller was it? I vaguely remember seeing it at some point, but I thought it was closer to the PS2 release. Looks like an off-brand Logitec PC controller from the late 90s or early 00s.

I believe it was truly just a conceptual design. And that perfectly describes how it looks haha. A product of its time.