• Total voters

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Yep. A 2.5mm jack!

b28ebae45d37c28bb51795f4ed6ce441.jpg
Why would they use 2.5 instead of their cooler 4.4 pentaconn 🤔

Fizie

Jan 21, 2018
Sony sure are having to clarify a lot lately.

Not sure if that's due to their messaging or just fans questioning absolutely everything (and rumours starting)

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
Inb4 a lot of people saying everyone who was worried was being stupid.

Like come on guys it wasn't visible in the pictures. This wouldn't be the first product to remove a 3.5mm jack because the company making it had a vested interest selling more things that don't need one.

I'm guessing it's just a bit further below the curve, and just wasn't visible. What we see there is the mic. So they probably just moved it further away so as to not be right on the mic.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Great news. Can't believe a certain poster was calling the idea of a headphone jack "stupid bullshit" in the other thread.
Good. I expected no less. Now we just need more audio settings like bass/treble and left/right audio balance controls.
Indeed, XBO already provides full EQ settings for the controller headphone jack via the Dolby Atmos for Headphones app.

Hopefully PS5 will offer the same with their renewed focus on audio. Certainly Sony's app for the wireless Gold headset already provides this functionality, but nothing similar for the controller headphone jack.
One less argument for them to use 🤡
Yeah because the only reason people wanted a headphone jack was because of console wars 🙄

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
They have to at least for PSVR. And it could always default to no rumble on DS4 at all. I mean, the ability to disable rumble completely will most likely again be an option after all, also on PS5. Besides rumble, there is nothing really new on the PS5 controller. Same buttons, same "features" (I mean, the share button is a button like the create button, the function behind that is software).

You could make materially new input states with the triggers which could be hard to map elegantly to the DS4. Imagine a travel arc on the trigger with multiple stop states that let the player modify their input on a certain weapon or on a golf club or the like. Would be hard to map that over to a single state trigger, without at least invoking visual cues (as in, for example, power meters in golf games etc). I think they want devs to be free to use those without worrying about fallbacks to normal triggers.

For PSVR and PS4 BC, of course it will support the DS4.

Antipode

Jul 25, 2019
What do you personally find uncomfortable about it?
When I hold the grips on the PS4 controller, my thumbs naturally rest on the dpad and the buttons. I have to intentionally reach inward to hit the sticks. The things I need most often are the left stick and the buttons, so for the majority of the time I'm reaching in with one thumb but not the other. It causes asymmetrical thumb placement to be the position I need the most often while playing.

jem

Oct 25, 2017
Not a dig but I'm genuinely curious as to how it's worse in terms of accessibility?

To me getting rid of the colour and leaving just the symbols just seems to make things simpler for everyone doesn't it? Most people would be able to associate a symbol onscreen with a symbol on the controller and the loss of the colour makes things simpler for people with various types of colour blindness.
It's removing information which might be useful with no discernible benefit.

Making them coloured certainly isn't going to make it harder to use for colour blind people than white buttons.

For non-colour blind people it is far easier and quicker to distinguish between coloured buttons than it is to discern which button has which symbol.

____

Oct 27, 2017
Miami, FL
Sony sure are having to clarify a lot lately.

Not sure if that's due to their messaging or just fans questioning absolutely everything (and rumours starting)
It's the second one.

I can't wait for the inevitable "but does PS5 have a power supply?!" threads when it's not an explicit focus of the reveal.

zeuanimals

Nov 23, 2017
When I hold the grips on the PS4 controller, my thumbs naturally rest on the dpad and the buttons. I have to intentionally reach inward to hit the sticks. The things I need most often are the left stick and the buttons, so for the majority of the time I'm reaching in with one thumb but not the other. It causes asymmetrical thumb placement to be the position I need the most often while playing.

Yeah, that's how it works. Why is that uncomfortable though? I don't think I have super thumbs or anything, I'm sure your thumbs are just as opposable as mine. And don't play shooters on Xbox cause you'll end up doing the same thing since your right thumb's gonna mainly rest on the stick to control the camera.

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
You could make materially new input states with the triggers which could be hard to map elegantly to the DS4. Imagine a travel arc on the trigger with multiple stop states that let the player modify their input on a certain weapon or on a golf club or the like. Would be hard to map that over to a single state trigger, without at least invoking visual cues (as in, for example, power meters in golf games etc). I think they want devs to be free to use those without worrying about fallbacks to normal triggers.

For PSVR and PS4 BC, of course it will support the DS4.
I don't say you cannot create a case where DS4 would not work properly. But I guess it is likely that this will not be implemented by the majority of the games as a necessity as they are multiplat and again, I am quite sure you can disable that just as you can disable rumble in general which would then break these games.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
It's removing information which might be useful with no discernible benefit.

Making them coloured certainly isn't going to make it harder to use for colour blind people than white buttons.

For non-colour blind people it is far easier and quicker to distinguish between coloured buttons than it is to discern which button has which symbol.
Good points. For me as someone who's had every PS since the launch of the PS1 I can honestly say I've never given any notice to the colours on the face buttons. I've always gone by the symbols. Hell, I couldn't even tell you what any of the colours are!

DodgeAnon

Oct 25, 2017
I still don't see any colored buttons. The Switch actually knows, if a Pro Controller is in use and some games change the display of the buttons. But it is still all in grey.

Exactly, that's my point. Even Nintendo have moved on from the coloured buttons on their controllers. For design purposes or not, they've still done it

dunkzilla

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018
Good. Having to clarify this in this way shows how Sony messed up this reveal yet again. Have they made any announcement regarding PS5 that did not leave us with questions?

They should really shape up
very very few people care to be upset that they didn't say it has one. They didn't mess up the reveal at all.

TheZjman

Banned
Nov 22, 2018
I think i really hate it. It's hard to say without using it obviously, but i wasn't a fan of the DS4 and this is just such a weird design. Will it have more than two hours battery life this time?

G_Zero

alt account
Banned
Mar 19, 2019
As long as the majority of games use left joystick for movement, having them assymetrical is more comfortable since your thumbs rest in their natural position.
Both the D-pad, buttons and analog sticks are in what are natural resting positions for my thumbs on a DS4. Maybe they've been molded by 20 years of using DS controllers, but it's certainly not something I notice while playing.

Last edited: