• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Magni

"retarded" to describe things, ideas or people they think are dumb?

I remember when I started my current job in late 2014 and someone said it in one of our meetings, I was expecting an awkward correction, but nope, moved right along. Almost 4 years later, when we actually have HR, it's still a thing. It's not constant, but every once in a while at my job, I'll just hear the loudest "that's retarded". Sometimes it's manager, sometimes it's someone on the lower levels.

I work with "we think we're progressive" types, I mean, I already knew they weren't, but I figured by now outside of the racism, they could at least get this one thing right by now. Or did everyone not get the memo to ease off that?

It's not even that I'm offended, I'm just confused as to how this is still a thing in a professional environment.

Mod Edit: This thread title has been updated for clarity.

You're surprised that people are still using that word after four years of not being called out on it? If you don't want to hear it, tell them, not us.

I agree with this.

Using gay as an insult is bad because it implies that being gay is bad.

Calling someone mentally slow because they did something that is well, mentally slow, is accurate. No different than moron or idiot

I don't use it because people are sensitive about it, but the campaign against the word has always baffled me.

Same here. That said, there's a big difference between calling something bad retarded, and between calling someone dumb a retard.

The euphemism treadmill is real. Until people address intelligence shaming in general there will never be a word that doesn't devolve into this. I have no ideas for solution but we should probably place less value on intelligence as a species.

Really?

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
Ableist bullshit is alive and well unfortunately. A lot of people don't even understand that the words they use are hurtful to people with disabilities. And that goes for mental and physical disabilities. I still sometimes hear people call disabled folks "cripples" and it makes my blood boil.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
Worked with and known numerous people with Autism. You use the R word you can straight up get fucked you insensitive pricks.

Not gonna lie though, I also kinda judge you a lot for using an outdated slur as well.

Paz

Nov 1, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
Everyone I knew used retard and retarded as insults while I was growing up, I don't anymore but I do think it's kind of a pointless battle.

As others have pointed out it seems to be an endless cycle of new words being used to describe the same or similar things (idiot, moron, imbecile, etc) and then those words get co-opted in to insults. Retarded has already had some successors (special is used the same way) and I think it's possible in time retarded will be just as ignored as calling someone an idiot is today, if something new takes over from it completely.

Not sure how you solve that without making people not care about intellect in any capacity, which is a horrible nest of new problems imo.

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Correct me if I'm wrong, but from the outside-perspective as being someone who hasn't lived all their life in an English speaking country, it feels like the "R" word only gained infamity as a horrible slur relatively late in the game?

I mean, I remember even games still using the word, or variations of it for "to slow something down" or "something being slow" as late as... actually last year? Unless FFXII changed something about its translation.

As others also said, it just doesn't get as much backlash as racism, homophobia and sexism, because I feel that it isn't actually shunned enough to be completely registered as a slur in many peoples' minds. That's why, when someone in my FC or in Forums/Groups I manage ends up using the word, I tend to take them aside, and explain why that word not good, and should not be used in such a fashion. I deal with the first offense for that word differently than I deal with racism, homophobia and sexism. Maybe that makes me part of the problem, but I feel like lack of context has made it more "acceptable" to be used.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly this is what I trip up on more these days. "Thanks guys" is a default.

Yeah me too. I spent the first 30 years of my life not even thinking twice about it, everyone says it where I'm from. I've moved to the south so I have picked up y'all but it still doesn't feel natural but I'm trying to do better.

Freakzilla

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I'm confident in my inability to adapt to newer cultural evolutions because enough ppl will that I will not make a difference.

BBboy20

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Everyone I knew used retard and retarded as insults while I was growing up, I don't anymore but I do think it's kind of a pointless battle.

As others have pointed out it seems to be an endless cycle of new words being used to describe the same or similar things (idiot, moron, imbecile, etc) and then those words get co-opted in to insults. Retarded has already had some successors (special is used the same way) and I think it's possible in time retarded will be just as ignored as calling someone an idiot is today, if something new takes over from it completely.

Not sure how you solve that without making people not care about intellect in any capacity, which is a horrible nest of new problems imo.
i'd imagine that "autistic" is pretty much the line. The R word has always been the one word that can be easily attached to the mentally challenged (let alone how damaging the word sounds which is probably why it became popular...because humans need to become crueler while still maintaining their self-righteousness). Man, I thought the R word was part of the bully's handbook going by how those assholes used it to insult others during my time at middle-school.

It really doesn't help when a friend of mine was called "autistic" by a Twitch streamer not to long ago.

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, ableist pricks still use it. Heard it fired against me for years in high school (I'm visually impaired, so needed some extra help).

How cute to see people showing their ass in this thread.
Retard and all those insults were commonly used medical words. Retard gets singled out while all those words still flourish. I can't wait for retard to not be offensive so that it can join stupid, idiot, dumb and moron.
Untitled_1.png

Each of you can get fucked. And using the r-word is so important to you that you "can't wait"?

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Correct me if I'm wrong, but from the outside-perspective as being someone who hasn't lived all their life in an English speaking country, it feels like the "R" word only gained infamity as a horrible slur relatively late in the game?

I mean, I remember even games still using the word, or variations of it for "to slow something down" or "something being slow" as late as... actually last year? Unless FFXII changed something about its translation.

As others also said, it just doesn't get as much backlash as racism, homophobia and sexism, because I feel that it isn't actually shunned enough to be completely registered as a slur in many peoples' minds. That's why, when someone in my FC or in Forums/Groups I manage ends up using the word, I tend to take them aside, and explain why that word not good, and should not be used in such a fashion. I deal with the first offense for that word differently than I deal with racism, homophobia and sexism. Maybe that makes me part of the problem, but I feel like lack of context has made it more "acceptable" to be used.
I remember as a kid making a conscious attempt to stop saying it since I had heard how it was offensive but all these years later it pretty much has not change in the normal lexicon like other offensive terms. It's a word that a lot of people just don't think is all that offensive, so for me personally I don't like to use it, but if I see someone say it, it's not like I'm thinking, "wow, how could he say something so we all agree is a horrible thing to say?". Maybe in 2 years that 'r-world' will get there but right now, for a shit ton of people, it's no different than saying something is dumb or stupid.

Spuck-

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
You will absolutely get torched for using it in the UK, it's odd that America hasn't caught up.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
For the record, using this word in a derogatory manner is not okay here. We allowed some leniency to foster discussion until now, but further defense of derogatory language will not be tolerated.

Raza

Nov 7, 2017
Ohio
The mentally handicapped cannot defend themselves properly in terms of context of words used to describe them. Using their condition as a slur or insult is pretty shitty, and while I grew up around the word and used it in my teenage days, I've moved past it. There are better words to get your point across.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Heard it in Napoleon Dynamite when i re-watched it this weekend, probably the only thing I thought hasn't aged well about it. Shame really, it's almost timeless

JetmanJay

Nov 1, 2017

It is something that engrained into my vocabulary since a younger age. Same as curse words. It's hard to realize you're doing it until someone calls you out.

Penny Royal

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
QLD, Australia
The euphemism treadmill is real. Until people address intelligence shaming in general there will never be a word that doesn't devolve into this. I have no ideas for solution but we should probably place less value on intelligence as a species.

Well if you should be happy because that's exactly what's happening across the world right now, and has anti-intellectualism has been an ongoing feature of US society for over a century.