Cokie Bear

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I moved out when I was 18 because I wanted to. Absolutely no regrets and couldn't imagine living back at home.

Zulith

Oct 25, 2017
West Coast, USA
A lot of people move out on their own not by choice. Their home situation has overbearing parents, rules they don't want to live by, or their parents flat out tell them they need to move. If you have good parents and they don't mind or even want you to live there, then why not?

You should consider yourself very fortunate... not as having some kind of shortcoming for not moving out. Most people don't have the option to live at home at that age. Talking about most Western countries of course.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Only move out when you feel like it'll benefit you. If you can keep saving, that'll probably help you in the long run.

Barnak

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I lived with my parents until I was 28. Why? Mostly because I wanted to be able to afford an apartment without the need for random strangers as roommates(didn't really have friends I could live with). So I waited until I had a good enough wage. Didn't bother my parents too much anyway since I was paying my part and was working at least.

All these years allowed me to save a lot of money for my first apartment sure. But it killed my dating experience. I didn't dare to use dating websites for example. I mean, who would want to date a guy in his mid-twenties still living with mom & dad huh? I was already someone who wasn't very social to begin with, so combine these two and it was like a big "nope" for girls. At least, in my mind. I could have been wrong...I dunno.

Once I moved out though, I found my current girlfriend(5 years together now!) about a year later after multiple (failed) attempts. Kinda made me regret to have waited so long to get out to be honest. Being in a relationship and living together sure as hell beat living with my parents(as much as I love them).

Skux

Oct 26, 2017
I'm in the same boat and want to find my own place asap.

I take a train into work and it's a pain in the ass having a social life when I can't stay in town late without needing an Uber, or the rare occasion I'd start dating a girl and want to take her home.

"A ship in harbor is safe — but that is not what ships are built for." — John A. Shedd

bad_carbs

Oct 25, 2017
Personally, I would only move back to my parents' place only if the rent is free or if I'm broke and need a breather. But there is nothing wrong living with your parents at all if you prefer it that way though

Deleted member 44129

User requested account closure
Banned
May 29, 2018
Enjoy the luxury of living at your parents house. But don't take the piss. Pay rent and pay for food. Save money for later. Everyone's a winner.

Riley

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Yep. chinese parents here.

When I talk about moving out of the state, get a lot of pushiness from mom to stay at least relatively nearby to help with like moving heavy stuff, or doing yard work etc.

If you've got a good relationship with your family, are independent and saving enough, then it's fine. Move out when you find someone and feel that itch for privacy/more freedom, or if you get a job further away.

You're also Asian, so whatever. It's not even that weird in our culture. My cousin moved out and bought a home when he got married to his long term partner. lol

Oct 30, 2017
Living on your own teaches you how to handle shit on your own. I've lived on my own for a longass time but know people who stayed at home late into their twenties. When they finally struck out on their own it was like talking to nineteen and twenty-year-olds getting their first apartment back in college. You don't wanna be the person who doesn't know how to pay your fucking utility bills, do basic maintenance, or just generally handle your own shit when the occasion calls for it.

Striking out is important. It helps you become your own self-sufficient individual.

It all depends if you been taught.

I live with my parents. I sort shit out. I pay the utility bills. Insure shit is maintained round the house. Hell I even bought a house and I rent that out and have a responsibility to of collecting rent, sorting out council tax and etc. I'm also self employed which adds another layer of things to sort out. This mentality of yeah you gotta fuck yourself up or you never will learn is a joke. As for people in their late 20s not knowing how to do shit when they move out, I'm sure within 6 months they will learn and get their shit together. Eman they don't know how to pay a utility bill well they will when the bill is due. It's not rocket science and fuck them up. I've seen way too many people move out early and guess what they are probably broke for life. I'm talking having to work until 67. Whole someone who has been able to save because they lived with their parents can retire by 45, and have much more expendable cash to do more things like travel to different countries, have something nice to do in the weekend and etc. You would be surprised how many folks nowadays in their mid 30s still paying rent and don't own a house, and these people don't have the time or money to do stuff they like to do, they are overworked and stressed.

Oct 27, 2017
21, in college, living with parents until 2020 when I get my foreign English teaching gig. Instead of losing money living in cramped dorms where I can't scream at video games and walk around in my undies I pocket excess scholarship cash and go on trips with friends. Shit is sweet. If your parents are willing stay as long as possible and build that power level. No reason to kill a good thing.

Deleted member 19533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Personally I'd move out if I could. I'd look into what % down payment gets you the best rates in housing, and leave once you're over that, can afford furnishings, and still have a little for a rainy day. Don't strain yourself.

I wish I could move out, it's killing me. I have a job, but it's below poverty level here. As a single person, it's not going to happen.

The worst part is I graduated college last year, 4.0 GPA, valedictorian, and I can't find a job that actually pays a living wage; I'm still working my college job. Last interview was $13 an hour. Why are employers demanding college grads if they want to pay the soon-to-be minimum wage?

Maybe I just suck at job searching, IDK. Anyway, I'm ranting.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
Can't imagine a woman over 25 being ok with any of that. "Do it when they're not home" sounds like high school stuff". That said OP said he doesn't care about dating.

All women over 25 aren't the same. It varies between individual to individual.

I mean if she has a problem with you living at home then she's probably not the right one for you.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
I lived with my parents until I was 28. Why? Mostly because I wanted to be able to afford an apartment without the need for random strangers as roommates(didn't really have friends I could live with). So I waited until I had a good enough wage. Didn't bother my parents too much anyway since I was paying my part and was working at least.

All these years allowed me to save a lot of money for my first apartment sure. But it killed my dating experience. I didn't dare to use dating websites for example. I mean, who would want to date a guy in his mid-twenties still living with mom & dad huh? I was already someone who wasn't very social to begin with, so combine these two and it was like a big "nope" for girls. At least, in my mind. I could have been wrong...I dunno.

Once I moved out though, I found my current girlfriend(5 years together now!) about a year later after multiple (failed) attempts. Kinda made me regret to have waited so long to get out to be honest. Being in a relationship and living together sure as hell beat living with my parents(as much as I love them).

Unless you're a Gen-Xer or above, I legit cannot fathom this type of thinking.

Millennials - "Generation Zero" is perhaps the better term because they've inherited a broken everything - absolutely live with other people, including family. This spooky kooky bullshit about rugged individualism and "Being On My Own™" is a great social disease in America. Can't blame those caught in it, because America itself is a dualistic shithole of a country that normalizes real ills with this "Being On My Own™" thinking. As far as I'm concerned, this thinking is the root cause for the moral imperative to continue all of the problems we face, and is the same time propagandized as one's egocentric solution to escaping issues. It's rubbish. One might say I'm being hyperbolic, but really, what's the difference between "LOLIMONMYOWNIMSUDDENLYFREE" and all of the gimmicks people use to be greedy or to ignore actual plights around them? Both center around the individual in a way that assert a sort of "vacuuming" where one is in a bubble. No bubbles exist.

Most Americans are poor as shit. If living with someone else, even a family member, is seen as a dealbreaker, tell the person finding issue with it to rightly fuck off and eat dirt.

Barnak

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Unless you're a Gen-Xer or above, I legit cannot fathom this type of thinking.

Millennials - "Generation Zero" is perhaps the better term because they've inherited a broken everything - absolutely live with other people, including family. This spooky kooky bullshit about rugged individualism and "Being On My Own™" is a great social disease in America. Can't blame those caught in it, because America itself is a dualistic shithole of a country that normalizes real ills with this "Being On My Own™" thinking. As far as I'm concerned, this thinking is the root cause for the moral imperative to continue all of the problems we face, and is the same time propagandized as one's egocentric solution to escaping issues. It's rubbish. One might say I'm being hyperbolic, but really, what's the difference between "LOLIMONMYOWNIMSUDDENLYFREE" and all of the gimmicks people use to be greedy or to ignore actual plights around them? Both center around the individual in a way that assert a sort of "vacuuming" where one is in a bubble. No bubbles exist.

Most Americans are poor as shit. If living with someone else, even a family member, is seen as a dealbreaker, tell the person finding issue with it to rightly fuck off and eat dirt.

I'm not saying I'm thinking that way, just that I thought a lot of people were and I didn't want to deal with that shit while dating. I probably overthinked that perspective though.

Heck, when I first dated my current girlfriend five years ago, she was living with her parents(although it wasn't always that way) and she is one year older than me.

Not american by the way. ;) But shit is expensive even up here in Canada, can't even afford a home or condo unless both people in the couple have a good wage. All my brothers left home around their mid twenties too.

Last edited:

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not saying I'm thinking that way, just that I thought a lot of people were and I didn't want to deal with that shit while dating. I probably overthinked that perspective though.

Heck, when I first dated my current girlfriend five years ago, she was living with her parents(although it wasn't always that way) and she is one year older than me.

Not american by the way. ;) But shit is expensive even up here in Canada. All my brothers left home around their mid twenties too.

I'm not saying you were, but lots of people think that way, and I was trying to highlight that level of gutter trash thinking.

So long as we live on this earth, in this universe, we are dependant on factors beyond oneself. Thinking "moving out" eliminates this is batshit talk.

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Man i'm the complete opposite: 25yo, at my 2nd office job, have a slightly under the average paycheck that would cover just about a tiny apartment or a room in a shared apt., still looking to leave asap.

I've been living at my mother's for the past 2 years and i don't even have a room, i sleep on her couch. I hardly have any space for my stuff, almost zero privacy, ect.
I feel suffocated, and being so close in the everyday life leads us to arguments literally everyday.
And you know how arguments with parents are: you won't budge on your opinion, they won't budge on their opinion, they use the same complaints they used against you since teen years, it's a wins who screams the most competition, ect.
Eugh.

I'm trying to see if i can get a loan to buy a house, since a 30yo monthly payment is cheaper than rent, but if things go south by the end of the year, i'm even open to surrended to go into an apartment with flatmates, something i really don't like and consider a defeat but hey, anything to move out of here and breathe a little.

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
You should only move out when you have enough money to buy the house you want to own in the place you want to live in, or if you're planning to start your own family.

Otherwise there is no logical reason for you to unnecessarily pay for rent.

That's just bad finances.

Catdaddy

Oct 27, 2017
TN
Well - I'm glad you pay rent and help out and hope you help with other expenses. My 24 year old daughter just moved out after a brief stay at our house. We gave her 6 months rent free but had to pay for her food and other items, before the 6 months was up she moved out. Our goal was to teach independence and it seemed to work.

Auros01

Avenger
Nov 17, 2017
It might put a bit of a damper on your social life by continuing to live at home but that's about the only downside I see. If you get along with your family, I think living with them can be enjoyable.

I lived on my own (with a roommate) briefly before I got married and I didn't really feel that it was all that much better than living with my folks, which is a positive thing. Both were good.

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
Who cares about social life, family and money are more important.

Social life can lead to more family and more money. Social life = find partner, marry, have kids, new family. Social life = meet new people, network, get new jobs, etc.

But I don't necessarily advocate for OP to move out. Whatever works best for your situation.

Zojirushi

Oct 26, 2017
I mean I live alone and my dating&social life is still nonexistent so no guarantees there either lol. Having the freedom to come home to an empty house is overrated so if your current situation works out I'd say don't sweat it.

Aselith

Oct 27, 2017
I mean I live alone and my dating&social life is still nonexistent so no guarantees there either lol. Having the freedom to come home to an empty house is overrated so if your current situation works out I'd say don't sweat it.

Thats why I fill my house with stray cats

tenor.gif

Squid Lord

Nov 28, 2017
It's fine, OP. I have no social life, have a serious long term girlfriend, and family is all I have/need. I pay my half in living expenses and the only thing that sucks is I'm not being paid enough to be able to afford a house on my own living in goddamn Southern California.