Oct 25, 2017
Lived away and back at my parent's place on and off over the years... but my current job is a 20min drive away, so I moved back again. Due to staying at the parents place often, I've gotten all my school/car loans finished, and my parents enjoy having me around to help out and I have a 88 year old grandma to help with here too. I still pay monthly 'rent' so i'm not really freeloading either.

But current job is falling apart in the upper management levels, so i've been looking for new opportunities again and that choice comes up again. There are plenty of well paying IT jobs here in atlanta, but the industries typically are 'boring'. I could go to the west coast where stuff is more exciting, but I still hear horror stories about living costs.

Or should I keep working in atlanta area... but get my own place? That I'm having a hard time to justify right now haha. Maybe I should get a house for the tax deductions? I should start researching into this. Just moved up a tax bracket, and being a single dude with no property, the taxes are sizeable. I have friends that argue for and against house ownership though.

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
save up as much as you can until they kick you out.

I'd talk about dating and stuff but that doesn't seem like its going to apply in this instance.

SaviourMK2

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
CT
This is the most unbelievably unintentional backhanded remark I've seen in a while.
I'm 30 with a shit paying job, and i can't even afford a fucking apartment.

I would KILL and guarantee the body could never be found or traced back to me to get a house. The only thing I have to my name is a bank account and a car.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Your title and OP content don't really match much. It seems the question is more about work opportunities.

Bernd Lauert

Banned
May 27, 2018
I get that living with your parents as an adult is a disgrace in the US, but I see nothing wrong with it. Being with and taking care of your family is actually a good thing.

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe it's just me, but I GREATLY value my independence. I know even if I lived at home my parents wouldn't care where I went or when and wouldn't bother me about things too much, but I just like having my own place (well, with roommates) away from home and a certain level of separation

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
No need to rush out of a situation with a great positive cash flow.

If you really want to move on up, buy a condo and rent/air bnb out one of the rooms. If you decide to move, rent the entire place. You can landlord from across the country if need be.

Oct 27, 2017
keep working and living with your parents. enjoy your time with them. if you're supporting your parents, then really YOU are the man of the house... but you probably want your own personal space to invite friends over.

meanwhile, start applying for better jobs, once you get your foot in the door, put your 2 weeks notice in and move on.once you get the new job - get an apartment really close to your work, like walking or biking distance so you don't have to drive ungodly distances or anything.

Soundscream

Nov 2, 2017
As long as they aren't all up in your business, dont overcharge rent and you can arrange your sexlife so it dont get ackward,you can stay at home and save a ton of money.

TheFireman

Banned
Dec 22, 2017
Freedom + social life. I love my parents, but I have like no social life whenever I move back in for a few weeks between moving.

Mozendo

Oct 25, 2017
Pacific North West
I never understood the stigma of living with your family, in the states it's seen as something terrible, while in LatinX cultures it's not a big deal.
Keep living at home, if your relationship with your family is great there's no need.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
You can't spend all your money and time buying furniture for the house you don't own while living with your parents.

maks

Oct 27, 2017
Stay home, max your retirement options, invest a bit more, save for your house with the leftovers.

West coast home prices still a bit too high. Its due to cool off but it could take a few years to see how much. When interest rates begin to lower again is when you may want to consider a west coast move.

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
There's no reason to move out if your parents are cool with it and it doesn't affect your social life. I never understood why westerners are so adamant about moving out of home when they're young if they dont need to, when most likely they'd be living in shittier conditions with poorer quality of life.

blue_phazon

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
How do you bring people home for sex? I can't imagine doing that while living at home

.Detective.

Oct 27, 2017
Stay until you find a partner or until you want more privacy for whatever reason. Or if your potential new job is too far away.

Yeah, if it's helping the OP's parents and grandparent, while it allows to save up a ton of revenue, there is no issue. If he find's someone they are serious about, they can look at their options for a place at that time.

baggage

Oct 25, 2017
note to those not in the know: Atlanta is a giant, sprawling, metro ..thing. Atlanta's plenty exciting, but you have to find which city or town has the exciting thing, and you have to drive there, and it's disconnected from other places, and there's like a million different roads named peachtree.

see5harp

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
If your Mom is still cooking dinner nightly stay as long as you can. You are living the dream. Go to Coachella, EDC and every other event you can while you have the disposable income. This is assuming you have a good relationship with your parents.

Oct 25, 2017
湘南
If your relationship is good with your family and your social life isn't taking a hit, don't listen to anyone that says to move out. Save up as much as possible and invest it.

It's a very Western way of thinking that you're not an adult until you move out. It's actually really smart to just stay with your parents and save up a ton of money.

Oct 27, 2017
PIT
OP, not sure what to tell you, it sounds like you have a plan and executed it. If you want to live with your family then do it, no shame. If you want to move out and be close, do it. If you want to move far away, do it. Just make sure whatever you want to do is based on YOUR wants not the expectations of others.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do whatever you feel like doing. It's nice to have options. I don't think anyone here cares

Bob Beat

Oct 25, 2017
What's an estimate of your salary? Above 50k? Are you paying a fair share of the rent and costs? Are you saving a lot?

Those would help to be able to answer. Atlanta is high priced compared to other places in the south but compared to Jersey, this place is amazing for cost of living.

I was still home until 30 to save money. But my mom moved back home when she was young to get on her feet.

We shame people who stay home but with the wealth inequality, we have to reconsider. It might be a great way to help kids get off their feet. As long as you aren't mooching. If you are responsible and it sounds like you are, helping Grand ma.

Kayotix

Oct 25, 2017
I guess if it works for you, I'd kinda feel wierd living at home still being almost 30.

I moved out at 18 and went from Wisconsin to Texas lol.

It's your life In the end, u do u

Soundscream

Nov 2, 2017
How do you bring people home for sex? I can't imagine doing that while living at home
I did it for a few years when I was in my early 20s and still living at home. Gotta be real stealthy, bring them home when your parents are asleep and get them out before they wake up. Once had a girl hide in my closet cause my father decided to come to my room to ask me a random question at 1am. Luckily I had a lock on my door, LOL.

Ganransu

Nov 21, 2017
I never understood the stigma of living with your family, in the states it's seen as something terrible, while in LatinX cultures it's not a big deal.
Keep living at home, if your relationship with your family is great there's no need.
As someone living with his mum, in a society where that's actually the norm and accepted so, I will say that living with family can get in the way of acting as you, or your SO, would like. Not necessarily sex 24/7, but even something like cuddling could be seen as too intimate for public in some cultures.

I would love to have my own home, but I just can't afford it.

Deleted member 4372

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dude you sound like you're on the best life path possible honestly. If you're welcome at home, paying rent, helping out and not a burden, fucking stack them bills dude. Fatten your bank account and pay for your first house in CASH!

Oct 25, 2017
Oh hey Atlanta IT represent. I'm also 28 in a high-paying job and lived with my parents until earlier this year. I bought a house much closer to work. I did so because I don't have much other responsibilities besides car/student loans, and I wanted to be independent and have space to work on my hobbies and... just be me.

But if you're not feeling the same pressure or feeling crowded, I don't see why you'd move out. Everyone needs as much of a financial advantage as possible before setting out on their own, and there's no better financial advantage than living at home and paying a lot less towards housing. If I were in your shoes, I'd probably do what not-in-your-shoes me did and start saving up to purchase a home.

Another reason you should probably stay home is that you don't seem to have much in the way of personal job security. You're on the fence about staying where you are, looking for new work in the city, or moving across the country. While you're figuring out what you want in that regard, why settle down anywhere? Stay home, save money, and figure things out.

nanskee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 31, 2017
If I had money and no debt, I'd be out just for the freedom.

If your parents are cool and the space is big, living with the parents is fine

FeliciaFelix

Oct 27, 2017
Stay and save money until you figure out your job or until you can buy a house cash. You can eventually flip or rent out the mortgage-free place if you have to move later.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
You only live one life... why not spend as much as you can of it, with family members that truly love you?

Just stay close to home if you have a choice.

For everyone else, I'm not saying this the only way someone should live their life. But he seems to enjoy being around Fam.

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, stack bills and help your folks out at the same time. It's a win win in my books and even dating wise, doesn't hurt you as much.

Yourfawthaaa

Nov 2, 2017
Bronx, NY
I'm in the same position, except im currently pursuing my BA.

save as much money as you can. I started early at 22. done well so far and maintained a good credit score throughout. Stack that cheese bruh.

and live a little too.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
Stack the money and bank account. Don't let anyone tell you that your social life will suffer. There are instances that it may, but saving money is huge.