Forerunner

Resetufologist
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
If your parents don't mind, keep doing what you are doing.
If you don't mind, keep doing what you are doing.

Something will eventually happen and you'll move on. Until then you can save up and be ready when it does happen.

Rei no Otaku

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Cranston RI
I lived with my parents until I got married. It was great. I was able to move in with my wife with no debt, and that is a huge burden we don't have to deal with. I don't see the problem at all.

Shake Appeal

Oct 27, 2017
If your parents don't mind, keep doing what you are doing.
If you don't mind, keep doing what you are doing.

Something will eventually happen and you'll move on. Until then you can save up and be ready when it does happen.
This is sense.

There is a lot of cultural baggage—especially in the U.S.—above kids moving out of their parents' house, but multigenerational homes have plenty of pros, not least of which is saving money. The chances are you'll find a reason sooner rather than later to move out, but if everyone's happy with the arrangement and you're putting money aside for the future, why change it?

Tonypark

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
Save as much as you can as long as you are happy living there. If, of course, it doesn't affect social life or dating scene.

Poj

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
You should stay until you've saved enough for a hefty down payment on a house. Do your research and buy in a nice area. That way when you sell, your house value will have gone up. It's an investment.

Evan

Oct 27, 2017
because you're 28.

If you don't have that urge to move out, you may never will. I freaked myself out thinking I was in my 20's and still living at home. Within a year I got married and moved out. I'm 29 now and have my own home, couldn't imagine it any other way.

Oct 25, 2017
because you're 28.

If you don't have that urge to move out, you may never will. I freaked myself out thinking I was in my 20's and still living at home. Within a year I got married and moved out. I'm 29 now and have my own home, couldn't imagine it any other way.

Everyone's situation is different.

and OP clearly states he's lived on his own on and off. I see no issue. He's helping out, paying rent etc. If he's cool with his social life and the situation why not? Seems he might be a bit concerned about his work opportunities, but it doesn't seem like he's hurting for money.

SoundLad

Oct 30, 2017
Even though living at my folks' house is an option for me, and it would make financial sense, I wouldn't do it. Me and my partner love loud sex too much. And partying.

Oct 31, 2017
I'm in almost the same situation, except I want to get out sooner than later. Moved back after college, lived there for about a year then moved in with a woman. Lived in that house for two years which was a mistake, and have since moved back in with my parents. Been with them for 7 months now and I'm going stir crazy and want to get out as soon as I can, but don't want to compromise on living somewhere I don't particularly like.

Trying to find a decently priced, decently located, decent quality house to rent has proven to be pretty challenging and I've looked at many. I don't really want to buy a house and I don't want to live in a shared building with others, and I don't want to compromise on what I'm looking for in a house so...

It kind of sucks, but at least I'm making that money.

FeliciaFelix

Oct 27, 2017
Problem is alot of racism happens due to this. Where people say these Asian purple coming to our country and taking our jobs and money. But in reality they just made smarter choices and end up more financially stable due to it.

I have a few negihbours who are asian, and they have upwards to 10 houses they are making money in rent. And they won't enjoy the money alone the children will enjoy the money, the grand children will enjoy the money. While the folks who move out early end up with much less. This creates a disparity between rich and the poor and it will only get worse with how the housing market is going. If anyone is curious I'm from the UK. And when I say I'm Asian I'm not Chinese etc, I'm India/Pakistan region. Many people think these folks are probably broke driving their taxis or working at a corner shop. But actually the reality is they are filthy rich. Obviously I'm not saying majority are but when it comes to my work colleagues and friends I've noticed a lot of Asians as more financially stable.

Lots of truth here. Hispanic here so I get the dynamics.

Wikipedia says this about negative freedom vs positive freedom which I find applicable: "Negative liberty is freedom from interference by other people. Negative liberty is primarily concerned with freedom from external restraint and contrasts with positive liberty(the possession of the power and resources to fulfil one's own potential)."

I think freedom of rules/parents is nothing without the money to back it up. Assuming OP doesn't blow it, he can have a house paid off at 40 if not earlier. He'll 60 extra years to bring over chicks to the comfort of his own home in exchange of 2-3 years of saving money with the parents.

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017
If your living arrangement works for you and your parents, and isn't harming any plans you might have for the future, sure, stick with it.

Living with my parents was absolutely not working out and moving out was a huge blow to my finances, but I had to get out of there for the sake of my sanity.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
It feels like I would not be taking advantage of the privilege my parent's life of hard work has afforded me. If you can be 28 with a high paying job, no debt, and also have an investment portfolio that includes property I don't see how that would ever be a negative vs. not having the property.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The main reason why I moved out is because I didn't get along with a parent. If your relationship with them is fine and they don't impose on your social life then keep stacking paper.
Stay until you find a partner or until you want more privacy for whatever reason. Or if your potential new job is too far away.
Yup.

Evan

Oct 27, 2017
Everyone's situation is different.

and OP clearly states he's lived on his own on and off. I see no issue. He's helping out, paying rent etc. If he's cool with his social life and the situation why not? Seems he might be a bit concerned about his work opportunities, but it doesn't seem like he's hurting for money.

Couldn't agree more, but he can still contribute to his family and still be moved out. I do it every day, so that shouldn't be an excuse.

smoothj

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Move out if you aren't happy there.

If you are happy, just see where life takes you.

I love my parents to death but living with them is too much. I'm never doing anything right.

Now I'm happily living with my wife and unintentionally live close to my parents. Works out great for dinner lol!

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
Pro: The longer you stay with your parents (even with rent, which I imagine is probably cheaper and more flexible than standard rent), the more you can save up for your own place when you do move out. In some areas, this is by far the fastest way to save up enough for a decent down payment. In Canada, a larger down payment lets you avoid buying mortgage loan insurance when getting a house.

Con: You lose the independence and freedom that comes from living alone.

Arjen

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I love my parents to death, but I can't imagine living with them again.
Shit man, don't you want to feel like an independent person?
How are you bringing dates over ?
How can you throw a party whenever you want?

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The main reason why I moved out is because I didn't get along with a parent. If your relationship with them is fine and they don't impose on your social life then keep stacking paper.
Stay until you find a partner or until you want more privacy for whatever reason. Or if your potential new job is too far away.
Yup.

Hubologist

Nov 1, 2017
It doesn't sound like an issue for you or your parents.

I imagine it'd be an issue for potential partners, however.

- Freedom : I'm not sure what it has to do with anything, how do you define freedom in the first place? Why is that that living alone means freedom more than with others people? I don't feel like constrained in freedom in any way in my current situation, I'm doing what I want, coming back and leaving when I want, going where I want and so on
- Life experience : I do agree on that one, however that doesn't mean living by yourself should be the aim for everyone in the end, what's "expected" of us is to have our own family later on anyway. If anything living by yourself is a waste of money (both for you and for others because that contributes to higher house/rent prices) if there are no advantages in terms of commute or things to do next to your home
- Dating : that's the biggest valid point
- Privacy : Like freedom I see no problem on that front either
- Social life : Talking about a personal case here but most of my friends are in the big city while l'm living/working in the suburbs 1h commute from their home, so yeah they won't come to my house often (they already did though), even if I rent my own place that still wouldn't be convenient and the size of the flat wouldn't be worth it on top of it (don't think I could afford much more than 30-40m²). Outside of that I'm hanging out just fine and living with my parents has no impacts whatsoever on that
- Relief for your parents : It's actually quite the opposite and I've talked to them about that multiple times to be sure
- Post shower naked strolls : I'm actually... doing that almost, just a towel to hide the weenie and that's it, my father does it too and we are pretty cool with that. Overall I'm alright with my naked body in many circumstances lol (I'm an onsen lover)

Maybe I'm missing things here and there so anyone can feel free to explain them to me, but imo it has more to do with your relationship with your family and how you live as an individual overall,.
I'm not some lazy ass that comes back at home put his ass on a chair waiting for dinner, go sit my ass in front of a computer, ignore my parents, ask them for money, get yelled at for being noisy at night when I come back drunk (which can happen) and so on, we are in a mutual relationship of trust and help and I'm very happy for that, it is much better than the classic relationship that I heard from friends often which is just a "oh yeah they exist" about their parents.

If anything I'm here to contribute to improvement in the house, lately I've also reminded my parents how before they used to say that they would go back to the area where they grew up (hundreds of km from where we are) and I like them entertaining the idea of doing that after my father finish his 42y of hard work, and I'm pretty adamant that I shouldn't be in any way a factor that prevents them from doing what they want (which, ironically, I am because of our good relationship to begin with)

But yeah I feel like in our, western, societies there are some huge pillars that are hard to move and it's just unthinkable to do without them and of course it happens I that I'm checking the boxes for most (casual alcohool drinking, be in a relationship/date, live by yourself, eat meat) :p

If you're happy and your parents are happy, then that's the crux of it, but the 20-30 block is a huge formative period, and I personally feel like you're missing out on developing in some really key areas if you stay at home.

- Freedom : I'm not sure what it has to do with anything, how do you define freedom in the first place? Why is that that living alone means freedom more than with others people? I don't feel like constrained in freedom in any way in my current situation, I'm doing what I want, coming back and leaving when I want, going where I want and so on

Living alone means you're free to do whatever in your own private space, even change that space. Moving into a place and setting it up with your things, eking out your own space/style/preferences in every corner is very different from your bedroom (is this your childhood bedroom as well?). It's your space to decorate and also your responsibility, and that responsibility is part of your development. Handling issues (damage, plumbing, wiring), taking care of upkeep, upgrading areas, being responsible for maintaining it (cleaning and such), are all valuable learning experiences. I'm sure you help at home, but that's not the same as being responsible fr your own place.

Freedom to have people over, stay over, come in and out at all hours, blast music, etc. is stuff you can have when living with your parents...after you ask. Doing things without needing to ask permission, no matter how amiable your folks or generous their rules is not insignificant. It means you're not a kid any more (in that way), basically.

- Life experience : I do agree on that one, however that doesn't mean living by yourself should be the aim for everyone in the end, what's "expected" of us is to have our own family later on anyway. If anything living by yourself is a waste of money (both for you and for others because that contributes to higher house/rent prices) if there are no advantages in terms of commute or things to do next to your home

It's a personal choice, and again, if you're content enough, do what you like, but I find it really strange how everyone seems so determined to avoid any hardship? risk? these days. The life experience you get from living alone isn't just about pluses (freedom, privacy, etc.), it's about being exposed to, well, life: paying bills, doing all your own cooking, shopping, managing your place, dealing with responsibilities and learning how to navigate shit. The biggest value in leaving your parents' place is the struggle, imo. I suppose it doesn't as appealing as buying a house at 30, but holy hell you learn a lot.

Dating : that's the biggest valid point

On the flipside, you might end up starting late in dating, but you'll be well situated. That's very attractive to partners too.

Privacy : Like freedom I see no problem on that front either

Not even in regards to sex? I mean, my husband's cousin lived with his mom till he was 28 and didn't feel a lick of embarrassment bringing home different women every week and having her see them off with a coffee in the morning, so maybe you're cool with that, but I'd be weirded out if a date/BF told me we'd have to potentially pass his Grandma on the way to knock booties (no boots, too much noise).

Social life : Talking about a personal case here but most of my friends are in the big city while l'm living/working in the suburbs 1h commute from their home, so yeah they won't come to my house often (they already did though), even if I rent my own place that still wouldn't be convenient and the size of the flat wouldn't be worth it on top of it (don't think I could afford much more than 30-40m²). Outside of that I'm hanging out just fine and living with my parents has no impacts whatsoever on that

I was a fair distance from a lot of my friends too, but having our own places meant we'd just take turns hosting dinner parties or movie nights or game stuff, and they'd all just crash overnight (and vice-versa). I think having your own place is great for social stuff, but you're right that it's not the end all be all if you guys are meeting up just fine as is.

Post shower naked strolls : I'm actually... doing that almost, just a towel to hide the weenie and that's it, my father does it too and we are pretty cool with that. Overall I'm alright with my naked body in many circumstances lol (I'm an onsen lover)

Towel definitely doesn't count. I'm an onsen lover too, but I'd never feel comfortable parading naked around the house with my parents or grandmother there, as you don't seem to either.

Anyway, I doubt anyone thinks you're some lazy moocher. It sounds like you have a nice relationship and value that closeness plus it helps them out, so it's not like you've overstayed your welcome or anything. You can certainly carry on and it does seem very practical to continue to save while you can. I guess you just have to decide when you think the value of the experiences you might potentially be missing outweighs the benefits of the current situation. I'm sure you'll do fine either way you go, though. Good luck~

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
I take it you're not dating? Move out dude. You've got the resources and being able to get a place and furnish it and have nice stuff and privacy and ability to have people (especially girls) over is awesome.

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
if you get a long with your family, stay until you find a partner. Save as much as you can honestly.

Rampage

Oct 27, 2017
Metro Detriot
If you have a good relationship and ground rules set with your parents, there is no reason to move out other than a) you want to or b) caving to peer pressure. Build a nest egg for when circumstance align to move out.

Deleted member 10747

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
OP just do what makes you happy. If it works for you and your family than its all fine. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise, you are the only one who can say if you live the life you live is good or wrong (of course in reason).

As for when you should move, just ask yourself the question: is my life going to be better with or without it. Just move out when your ready.

base_two

Oct 27, 2017
My answer to these types of questions is to always move out. You don't want to be in your 30s still trying to figure out how to maintain yourself independently. Learning how to cook, clean after yourself, maintain your lifestyle, and budget are things that shouldn't delay once you're able to do those things on your own. Get a roommate if you don't like the idea of living on your own.

Wood Man

Oct 30, 2017
I guess everyone has different situations but If you're around 30 and still living with your parents that has to gnaw at you a little.

I moved out at 18. No way would I go back to living under someone else's roof but my own.

Deleted member 10747

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My answer to these types of questions is to always move out. You don't want to be in your 30s still trying to figure out how to maintain yourself independently. Learning how to cook, clean after yourself, maintain your lifestyle, and budget are things that shouldn't delay once you're able to do those things on your own. Get a roommate if you don't like the idea of living on your own.
Don't most people learn that when they are 12? At least my parents made sure i learned that, not that they didn't have a choice since they were working all the time.

badcrumble

Oct 25, 2017
If they're really offering you this opportunity, saving up until you can put a down payment on a house (instead of just renting somewhere) might be wise.

That said, independence *does* pay dividends - not just in terms of ephemeral having-more-fun stuff, but also in the sense that you really do learn more about living as an adult if you've got to handle it all on your own.

Kappa

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Don't move out till you can afford two houses if you don't have any troubles at home . Looking at how much money I wasted in rent makes me sad

Fisico

Oct 27, 2017
Paris
If you're happy and your parents are happy, then that's the crux of it, but the 20-30 block is a huge formative period, and I personally feel like you're missing out on developing in some really key areas if you stay at home.

Living alone means you're free to do whatever in your own private space, even change that space. Moving into a place and setting it up with your things, eking out your own space/style/preferences in every corner is very different from your bedroom (is this your childhood bedroom as well?). It's your space to decorate and also your responsibility, and that responsibility is part of your development. Handling issues (damage, plumbing, wiring), taking care of upkeep, upgrading areas, being responsible for maintaining it (cleaning and such), are all valuable learning experiences. I'm sure you help at home, but that's not the same as being responsible fr your own place.

Freedom to have people over, stay over, come in and out at all hours, blast music, etc. is stuff you can have when living with your parents...after you ask. Doing things without needing to ask permission, no matter how amiable your folks or generous their rules is not insignificant. It means you're not a kid any more (in that way), basically.

It's a personal choice, and again, if you're content enough, do what you like, but I find it really strange how everyone seems so determined to avoid any hardship? risk? these days. The life experience you get from living alone isn't just about pluses (freedom, privacy, etc.), it's about being exposed to, well, life: paying bills, doing all your own cooking, shopping, managing your place, dealing with responsibilities and learning how to navigate shit. The biggest value in leaving your parents' place is the struggle, imo. I suppose it doesn't as appealing as buying a house at 30, but holy hell you learn a lot.

On the flipside, you might end up starting late in dating, but you'll be well situated. That's very attractive to partners too.

Not even in regards to sex? I mean, my husband's cousin lived with his mom till he was 28 and didn't feel a lick of embarrassment bringing home different women every week and having her see them off with a coffee in the morning, so maybe you're cool with that, but I'd be weirded out if a date/BF told me we'd have to potentially pass his Grandma on the way to knock booties (no boots, too much noise).

I was a fair distance from a lot of my friends too, but having our own places meant we'd just take turns hosting dinner parties or movie nights or game stuff, and they'd all just crash overnight (and vice-versa). I think having your own place is great for social stuff, but you're right that it's not the end all be all if you guys are meeting up just fine as is.

Towel definitely doesn't count. I'm an onsen lover too, but I'd never feel comfortable parading naked around the house with my parents or grandmother there, as you don't seem to either.

Anyway, I doubt anyone thinks you're some lazy moocher. It sounds like you have a nice relationship and value that closeness plus it helps them out, so it's not like you've overstayed your welcome or anything. You can certainly carry on and it does seem very practical to continue to save while you can. I guess you just have to decide when you think the value of the experiences you might potentially be missing outweighs the benefits of the current situation. I'm sure you'll do fine either way you go, though. Good luck~

I mean I explained before that I lived in my own flat from 2011 to 2017 (with a roommate arguably) had to deal with... everything I guess, including when I had to move from one flat to another, setting up water/electronic/gas/internet/etc.and pestering companies when they were problems (because of boy it happens) and every administrative paper work you can imagine (bank, tax, phone operator, health insurance, home insurance, electoral list, passport etc.), cooking myself, cleaning bringing new furnitures and all that.
Listing all that do make me realize how important all of this is though so you did well to mention them for others who are on the verge of moving or not since one day or another those are things that almost everyone will have to take care of sooner or later.

Regarding the room I turned minimalist a few years ago, my room was only containing clothes, a few books, my bed and... that's it. I tend to sometimes accumulate usueless things (like everyone does) but every few weeks I look at it quickly and usually throw everything away.
My current room is indeed my childhood bedroom minus many things that I threw away as well,

As for other points it depends on people's character, not everyone has to be the outgoing drinking every night super sociable noisy type, I barely listen to music nor drink alcohool that much, I love to read books however and go out occasionnaly with friends at night but also like to just chill at home sometimes, board games/videogames parties are a lot of fun and I honestly can't remember a single time I had to ask for permission about anything since coming back a couple months ago, sure I didn't invite people lately but that's both for my friends convenience (it's far from where they live, transports ends up at midnight and Uber is not a thing there) and our enjoyment (the house is small and cramped, though in summer we used the very small garden to do BBQ once).
It's getting a bit too much about my personal case (well my fault :p) but I risked I think enough going to live in a country whose language I barely spoke for 1y with limited savings, having to deal with everything in a completely foreign environment and needing to going back to square one on pretty much every level (social interaction, work, nutrition...) considering the completely different environment.
If anything I'm thinking of rather doing 1 more year abroad in the midterm, I'm undecided yet

Last points : Not dating much though still doing it occasionally, you could say that I am used to being solo most of the time and I have no "hole" to fill like some of my friends do, still chasing someone and seemingly being unable to live by themselves (when you get used to something it's hard to deal with it afterwards though, that much I understand). Sex is the same way, the grandmother is kinda over the top though lol no grandmother in the house there.
The social pressure is strong on all front though, I don't think I have a clear cut answer to any question nor any idea of where I'll be next year which is also something I'm taking into account when thinking about finding a new flat : why bother with that if I'm going to Canada next summer? Living with my parents right now allow me to have the biggest freedom I can imagine, I could leave tomorrow just fine, I have no debts/credits, no 3-6 months notice before leaving a flat and I do avoid a bit of painful papers to deal with trying to terminate various subscriptions here and there.

As for OP I think we brought some interesting topics there and that it's worth considering when making a decision

Oct 27, 2017
Tn, USA
There are some pretty sweet spots in Atlanta for a young professional. How much differential is there between a 1 bedroom rental and what you are paying your folks? Seems like there wouldn't be much impact to your financials to move out at this point. But if they need the money (or are just saving it to give back to you) and it isn't impacting the social life you desire, then why move out? If your folks are subsidizing your water, power, internet, groceries, parking etc then it is a much greater $$$ differential than just rent.

Now if you think you can score a nice place that can turn into an investment property/rental down the road it may be worth it. Seems like we are on top of another real estate bubble but the South is still booming, so hard to say. I see so many apartment complexes going up in Atl, it is insane. Same way in Nashville. They just can't build 'em fast enough. Getting in on a place in a good location seems like a pretty safe choice all around.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
Ask yourself why you're there.

Then ask yourself why shouldn't you be there.

Compare the two and go with the more authentic reason.

Nov 23, 2017
Couldn't agree more, but he can still contribute to his family and still be moved out. I do it every day, so that shouldn't be an excuse.
But just having a physical presence there can be a major emotional and mental stability his parents need while caring for his grandmother. My aunt thought she could do it on her own, but it became nearly impossible. I lived with her everytime I was out of school. That meant leaving my place, friends, and life in CA to help her in Texas.

As long as his family bond is strong, he'll appreciate being at home with his family as his grandmother gets older. She was probably around his whole life, it's the least he can do for her now.

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
chinese parents here.

Then why are you moving out lol.

As far as everyone's (culturally) concerned, you don't need to move out until you're engaged and want your own house with your wife.

. Learning how to cook, clean after yourself, maintain your lifestyle, and budget are things that shouldn't delay once you're able to do those things on your own.

All of this (sans cooking) takes like literally less than a day to learn. Cooking takes two or three weeks, max, and you can still cook when you live with your parents. Also I'd be a little concerned if someone didn't know how to clean, budget, and maintain their lifestyle regardless of where they live. Just because you live with your parents doesn't mean that they're going to be taking care of you.

MopDog

Nov 15, 2017
Living at home when you're gainfully employed is going to hurt your social life a lot.

Maybe. But maybe not. I've got a friend who makes 100k/year and lives at home with his parents. Debt-free, and all money saved on rent goes to hanging out at fancy restaurants and traveling damn near every single month to expensive and exotic locations (think North Korea and the secluded mountains of Afghanistan).

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
This is the most unbelievably unintentional backhanded remark I've seen in a while.
I'm 30 with a shit paying job, and i can't even afford a fucking apartment.

I would KILL and guarantee the body could never be found or traced back to me to get a house. The only thing I have to my name is a bank account and a car.
I mean, if they don't want their own place they don't want their own place. Why force someone to move out if they're actively working and making something of themselves?

CopperPuppy

Oct 25, 2017
Living on your own teaches you how to handle shit on your own. I've lived on my own for a longass time but know people who stayed at home late into their twenties. When they finally struck out on their own it was like talking to nineteen and twenty-year-olds getting their first apartment back in college. You don't wanna be the person who doesn't know how to pay your fucking utility bills, do basic maintenance, or just generally handle your own shit when the occasion calls for it.

Striking out is important. It helps you become your own self-sufficient individual.

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
i moved because i dont like being in my parents' house and prefer to have like a several hundred mile buffer zone between me and the rest of my family

Aselith

Oct 27, 2017
I'd talk about dating and stuff but that doesn't seem like its going to apply in this instance.

716u%2B4zo5RL._SY450_.jpg