Window

Oct 27, 2017
How do you stop them?
Gigantic nets, like spider webs just hanging over the refineries.

I fear this move will only make the Yemen war even worse. The world needs to hang its head in shame for letting it continue.

While it's fine to consider the economic impact of this event, I find it disappointing that many people's main concern is the price of gas when they go to fill up their car.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Somehow I'm feeling doubtful it's that easy to sabotage such a huge chunk of oil production using only drones unless there was some serious negligence in defense and security.

"The rebels have flown drones into the radar arrays of Saudi Arabia's Patriot missile batteries, according to Conflict Armament Research, disabling them and allowing them to fire ballistic missiles into the kingdom unchallenged. "

So yeah, not the first time the rebels have successfully launched a drone attack into saudi arabia.

vastag

Oct 26, 2017
Somehow I'm feeling doubtful it's that easy to sabotage such a huge chunk of oil production using only drones unless there was some serious negligence in defense and security.

Consumer drones were such a dumb idea.

3am59h.jpg

People are getting the wrong idea with the article calling them drones. In the past the Houthi rebels have used loitering munitions to strike targets deep inside Saudi Arabia. These are military UAVs with a 30 kg warhead. They probably used something like this, not a DJI bought online:

1920px-Qasef-1.jpg

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
People are getting the wrong idea with the article calling them drones. In the past the Houthi rebels have used loitering munitions to strike targets deep inside Saudi Arabia. These are military UAVs with a 30 kg warhead. They probably used something like this, not a DJI bought online:

1920px-Qasef-1.jpg

Booo!!!

Still small though.

On a more serious note though I'm seeing on news sites and from various journalists that there's some contestinf that it was even drones and not instead cruise missiles, though the liklehood of the honesty behind this contestion is questionable.

Deleted member 32561

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Was anyone killed? Article doesn't say, so I'm guessing not.

If no one was killed... lol don't care, I'm almost happy.

McNum

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Denmark
Booo!!!

Still small though.

On a more serious note though I'm seeing on news sites and from various journalists that there's some contestinf that it was even drones and not instead cruise missiles, though the liklehood of the honesty behind this contestion is questionable.
Where do you draw the distinction between cruise missile and drone, anyway? They're both autonomous aircraft flying to a pre-set destination. Isn't a cruise missile just a specialized form of drone now? If you make a drone like that one in the picture that has an internal bomb and can fly to a target on its own, isn't it a cruise missile already? Or does it need an actual missile engine to be that?

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
Where do you draw the distinction between cruise missile and drone, anyway? They're both autonomous aircraft flying to a pre-set destination. Isn't a cruise missile just a specialized form of drone now? If you make a drone like that one in the picture that has an internal bomb and can fly to a target on its own, isn't it a cruise missile already? Or does it need an actual missile engine to be that?

The distinction is that if it's a cruise missile then it couldn't have been the Houthi who fired it. Because they don't have cruise missiles.

And cruise missiles are very different to drones, on account of... Well being a giant missile.

Drones hover above their target for hours or days before firing and carry much smaller weight and payloads. A cruise missile is just gonna fly straight at its target at 500+ mph.

vastag

Oct 26, 2017
The distinction is that if it's a cruise missile then it couldn't have been the Houthi who fired it. Because they don't have cruise missiles.

And cruise missiles are very different to drones, on account of... Well being a giant missile.

Drones hover above their target for hours or days before firing and carry much smaller weight and payloads. A cruise missile is just gonna fly straight at its target at 500+ mph.

Well, to be fair they have used ballistic missiles and two diffent types of cruise missiles in other attacks.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Apparently the Trump administration declassified 2 photos of the aftermath of the strike. In the second photo you quite clearly see holes which suggest the strike came from the northwest

Penny Royal

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
QLD, Australia
21st century warfare is going to move into some frightening areas that science fiction can only dream of.

I guess you don't read much science or military fiction then.

This was a video that went viral in 2017, mainly because it's high production values & chillingly realistic use of corporate-speak when discussing death dealing weapons & patriotism lend it an air of credibility...

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
What is Iran's game plan here?
They're embarrassing the saudis and the americans with rather cheap cost while the high tech armys of KSA and it's vassals can't keep some drones from flying 900+ km through saudi airspace.

Trump isn't going to attack and the strategy of maximum pressure actually backfired to bad iran is now building up pressure on the US and it's allies.

Master class of foreign policy by KSA, Israel and the US.

Tater

Oct 30, 2017
Wtf is he trying to say?

I shotgunned a few beers and hit my head on the wall a few times, here's what I think it says:

"Someone attacked Saudi Arabia's oil supply. We're pretty sure we know who did it, and I've got troops ready to go once we verify that our intel is correct. That being said, we also want to hear more from the Saudis and their intelligence. The attack was on their soil and we need to discuss when and where we would deploy our forces.".

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
My guess is oil prices rebound to an extent tomorrow. WTI is currently down 11% - I'm predicting it will be down "only" 8-9% by close. I could be horribly wrong, though.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Meaning that the Houthis (the Yemenis allied to Iran) only could have carried out the attack if they have rockets which can turn mid-flight, with the other option being that the attack originated from within Iraq, Syria or possibly even Saudi Arabia itself. Third option would be that it was indeed some drones with the perpetrators specifically targeting these points on the tankers in an attempt to try to make it look like the attack was carried out from within that direction.

Oct 27, 2017
Was thinking the same thing.
Please. The US will open up the spigots and flood the market, it's what we've been doing now for a few years. The Saudi's are influential in the oil market but it's not like the 70's and 80's anymore, they're no longer king of the hill

Oil prices will rise for a couple of months and then come back down

Deleted member 20284

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Imagine if they pumped the same money into local renewables instead of fighting oil wars again. I wonder how quick things could change.