• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Smugness

Banned
Mar 2, 2018
User Banned (3 Days): Advocating piracy. Accumulated infractions.
Oh? Is it against the rules to admit to/advocate for piracy, even if we're not like, sharing links and stuff?

I don't think so. Tbh movies that I pirate I wouldn't be willing to pay for anyway. If it wasn't able to be pirated I'd watch something else. If it's something or someone I really want to watch or support, I'll pay.

skeptem

Oct 25, 2017
Do you guys feel the same about people who pirate current video games? I didn't include that part in the OP but yeah, they almost celebrate and high five each other whenever a Denuvo game is cracked. They're all big time PC Gamers yet pirate every non-mp release. They also slam consoles because you can't easily pirate them.
I feel like this is an odd one because I personally dislike DRM and feeling like my games could disappear at any time. So whenever the game is cracked I at least feel like in the future I could track down a game I purchased. An example is the fact that I noticed Darkspore is greyed out on my EA Origin account. I cannot play it or download it....even though I own it.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Those people.

Their aggressiveness about it is entirely about how much "smarter" they are than you, and if they gotta yell to prove it and convert you they gonna yell.

Fuu

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
When I see people not even downloading but BUYING cam quality DVDs on the streets I feel something crawling under my skin.

RealCanadianBro

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I really dont care. There a hundred more important things for me to worry about than what someone does in the privacy of their own home to gain some level of entertainment in our short and miserable lives.

Also, fuck movie tickets and consumables. Overpriced af. My Scene card does jack shit to ease that pain. And fuck banks.

Masoyama

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I love when my dad calls me to tell me his legally bought movie wont play audio through his speakers because one of his cable does not have the latest copyright enabled switch. Or when we get together to stream a fight on FIghtpass or Fox Sports Go and its a laggy mess. Or when the authentication server is being spotty and wont let us stream Hbo Go.

Meanwhile, downloading bluray rips, webrips of tv shows and streaming fights off reddit is usually flawless, 1080p quality and you have people that actually help you set up everything you need.

How can it be 2018 and still be harder to watch a legal movie than an illegal rip?

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
Piracy is - a lot of the time for niche movies, older movies, etc - the only way to go. That and pirates weren't going to buy it anyway.

Streaming services are so fractured with compressed high-def, it's no wonder people still pirate. Things are better, I'll say that much but we've a loooong way to go. Some streaming sites look about the same as you'd get from Netflix nowadays for the low, low price of 0$ monthly (not including a FireStick for 30$ or whatever device people use.)

ChanceOwen

Oct 25, 2017
I try to ignore the casual pirate streamers, because there is no point in trying to discuss how someone else should spend their money. It's tough to ignore when someone comes back with a scathing review of the potato cam version of a movie they streamed. At that point, you should be forfeiting your ability to have an opinion on the movie because you did not watch it in a suitable manner.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
I didn't know pirating movies was still a thing.
Piracy is more a thing than ever. First off, it's very easy nowadays. Secondly, with the dawn of high profile, tv shows like Game of Thrones and the internet, people almost have to pirate because of FOMO. Everybody watches Game of Thrones, every single media outlet in the world talks about it, yet it's only available for people who have access to HBO, which can range from very easy and affordable (USA) to almost impossibly expensive (everywhere else). To get HBO in The Netherlands for instance, you have to have a very specific tv provider and you have to subscribe to one of their most expensive packages to watch it (and an even more expensive one to watch it through streaming/HBO Go).

Of course 95% of the people watching Game of Thrones here are going to pirate it, it's the difference between a single mouse click or paying 30-40 Euro a month for something you only use for one show.

EDIT: Also, if you're into very small indie films or old movies, in most of the world piracy is the only way to go. Americans are spoiled with their Criterion Collections and all that other stuff. If I want to watch, let's say, Columbus or even something more famous like Rashomon in blu-ray quality I'm shit out of luck unless I buy a region free blu-ray player (expensive and difficult to find) and then import the movie from the US.

Last edited:

TyrantII

Oct 25, 2017
Boston
I don't she'd tears for billion dollar global conglomerates that keep eating their competition and price fixing.

That said, I very much follow the support (with money) what you like, cause you won't get it if you don't pay.

MMaRsu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I watch every movie in cam quality, it's so much better and you can really appreciate the acting instead of all the over the top effects. Hollywood can get my coins when the get back to basics, the acting. Sometimes I watch them at 2x speed too, because that way you can really consume the content so much faster. My life has really improved and I can basically watch 3 or 4 films a day this way. If one movie is kinda boring I just mute it and play a different movie on another screen.

Bluelote

Oct 27, 2017
it's wrong
but, very old movies piracy doesn't really affect much, the people involved were paid long ago

still I think most piracy is for the newer more popular stuff, and it affects things, but when they can't stop announcing proudly how many multiple hundreds of millions they made, it's difficult to care.

so, the crime is the same, but the real effect depends on which movies are you watching, how willing that person was to pay for it anyway...

but with how most big torrent websites died, and with easy streaming from netflix and so on, I think it's hard to justify...

the boxes with kodi running shady addons are easy, but I'm going to think it becomes a pain at some point, requiring updates to get the new servers for streaming? since it's all illegal it must be common for servers to be taken down!?

in any case, CAM is just horrible... I can understand a decently encoded blu ray copy, but not that.

Deleted member 11093

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
OP's coworkers sound super annoying, but I have no problem pirating stuff. Last night I grabbed Suicide Squad just to see if it was as bad as people say and I really don't feel bad that they won't get my money.

I definitely still like to pay for the good shit, though. After I downloaded Annihilation and watched a review about it, I felt so bad that I bought a movie ticket online...
Might wanna curb your honesty about pirating stuff (here and IRL).

Oh? Is it against the rules to admit to/advocate for piracy, even if we're not like, sharing links and stuff?
Yeah.

Squiggely

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I watch every movie in cam quality, it's so much better and you can really appreciate the acting instead of all the over the top effects. Hollywood can get my coins when the get back to basics, the acting. Sometimes I watch them at 2x speed too, because that way you can really consume the content so much faster. My life has really improved and I can basically watch 3 or 4 films a day this way. If one movie is kinda boring I just mute it and play a different movie on another screen.

And I thought I was the only one.

skeptem

Oct 25, 2017
If you had thrown in something about cropped pictures and motion smoothing you might kill someone reading this.

UF_C

Oct 25, 2017
They should be burried under the jail. I've ended friendships over folks pirating movies.

Nov 8, 2017
User Warned: Advocating Piracy.
I have no problem with people who pirate movies, and I have no shame in admitting that I've done it myself, although my preferred method was Bittorrent rather than streaming.

Here's my position: I've been using Linux exclusively at home for nearly two decades and I've been on the lookout for the opportunity to purchase movies digitally for years to store on my media server and play on Kodi. I don't want to go to a cinema. I don't want the hassle of ripping physical discs. I'm not interested in rental or subscription services. I just want to purchase the odd movie every now and then to keep and play on my preferred platform (Kodi). Is that really too much to ask?

Apparently it is, because I've done everything in my power to find such a service, including contacting multiple companies, anti-piracy organisations, etc., and it seems that no company is providing it.

So if the industry isn't interested in supporting video content on my chosen platform, what do they have to lose when I just get what I want via other means? As far as I'm concerned, my use of Bittorrent is inconsequential to the industry because the industry is not providing any competing service.

With regards to other media, I do not pirate anything. DRM is pretty much dead on music, so I never have any issues playing legally purchased music on any device I own (Kodi, MP3 Player, Phone, Tablet, Linux PC, etc.), and games are limited to their platform by their nature of software/hardware compatibility anyway.

Now, I don't like it when I hear of friends/family pirating music and games - especially of small artists and developers - and I'm often tempted to encourage them to buy their music and/or games, but I usually won't say anything because I feel that it might come off as snobbish. But movies? I have zero sympathy for that industry. Same goes for TV.

And your co-workers OP? They sound like assholes, but that has little to do with piracy.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
A month ago, a bunch of people at work got together and made a group buy of those kodi streaming boxes that connects to streaming sites, and they just won't shut up about them.

We used to have convos about movies and they were always entertaining, but now all they talk about is how they all streamed Infinity Wars or that blu ray copy of Black Panther or whatever. one of them trashed his entire physical bluray / dvd collection since he 'wont need them anymore' and they've been bullying me and another co-workers because we worked on ours NAS setup last summer and we each spent tons of time converting our legit medias collection to stream with plex. They taunted us for not 'wanting to go all in' or whatever that means.

This is starting to cause tensions and almost degenerated into a shouting match between my co-workers and one of the streamers when my friend argued that pirating culturally important movies like Black Panther (or most new Marvel movies) was just wrong. Every monday lunch break has turned into a race between who will announce first which movies they pirated over the weekend. They always mention that for them, pirating movies is a way of life and they always make us feel inferior because we wait for home/netflix releases. The shouting match I mentioned earlier almost ended with homophobic slurs being used until I mentioned I would report this to HR if it escalated.

It's 10AM right now and I'm actively dreading Lunch break because I know they are going to discuss Infinity Wars and basically spoil the entire thing. I can't believe how insensitive they are to people who decided to respect people who worked on the movies we enjoy.

They are so incredibly annoying about it. yes, we can get it, you are so badass for clicking on a play button on a rogue box running god knows what on your network..

edit: THREAD++ side discussion subject:

Do you guys feel the same about people who pirate current video games? I didn't include that part in the OP but yeah, they almost celebrate and high five each other whenever a Denuvo game is cracked. They're all big time PC Gamers yet pirate every non-mp release. They also slam consoles because you can't easily pirate them.
Man how old are these chucklefucks? Homophobic slurs and elitist pirating snobbery? If they're over 23 and still acting this way, fuckin dont waste another breath on these morons.

Daysean

Nov 15, 2017
Don't really have the time and energy to overly care about what people do with media
Call me when im losing money and then I'll care

PerilousInJ

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who has the means to financially support art that I enjoy I try to do so. If you can't afford to do that, I understand the desire to still participate in media through whatever means necessary. However if it is financially viable for you to support the things you enjoy and you choose not to, then I find that reprehensible. If you don't support the art and artists creating your content then that content will cease to be a viable career choice and will eventually dry up.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
I don't really think there is as much of an excuse for doing it than there used to be, but I struggle to remotely care.

nachum00

Oct 26, 2017
I just think it's funny that your friend thinks it's particularly wrong to pirate Black Panther.

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
It would bother me more if there was a place to easily pay for and watch any movie I want to see. It's absurd that in the digital age there are films that require me to either have a subscription or buy the full thing to watch. Just give me the ability to pay $3-4 bucks for whatever

NerdSoldier

Apr 22, 2018
Well here is another point, pirating movies is only the tip of the iceberg. What about people who watch/create streams? people who keep getting free trials over and over?? people who find a loophole to get movies, shows, games or something not tangible for free?? is any of it acceptable?

Paz

Nov 1, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
Piracy is more a thing than ever. First off, it's very easy nowadays. Secondly, with the dawn of high profile, tv shows like Game of Thrones and the internet, people almost have to pirate because of FOMO. Everybody watches Game of Thrones, every single media outlet in the world talks about it, yet it's only available for people who have access to HBO, which can range from very easy and affordable (USA) to almost impossibly expensive (everywhere else). To get HBO in The Netherlands for instance, you have to have a very specific tv provider and you have to subscribe to one of their most expensive packages to watch it (and an even more expensive one to watch it through streaming/HBO Go).

Of course 95% of the people watching Game of Thrones here are going to pirate it, it's the difference between a single mouse click or paying 30-40 Euro a month for something you only use for one show.

EDIT: Also, if you're into very small indie films or old movies, in most of the world piracy is the only way to go. Americans are spoiled with their Criterion Collections and all that other stuff. If I want to watch, let's say, Columbus or even something more famous like Rashomon in blu-ray quality I'm shit out of luck unless I buy a region free blu-ray player (expensive and difficult to find) and then import the movie from the US.

Oh yeah I forgot to mention I make an exception for my feelings on HBO Piracy outside of America.

Basically fuck HBO and power to the people, the system for watching HBO shows in Australia was so shit when Game of Thrones was first on the scene I think I would have high fived co-workers who told me they pirated it, just like the assholes mentioned in the OP I derided earlier. It's modestly improved since then but it's still ridiculous that you can't just pay HBO to stream the shows you want.

But HBO outside of America is a very special case. I used to marathon HBO shows when visiting friends in the states who had the right IP/Credit Card because it was just so much more affordable and convenient than anything I'd ever seen before lol, watched like 6 seasons of Curb your Enthusiasm in a few days that way.

FriedConsole

Oct 27, 2017
I wasn't worried too much until all the old people who's laptop I used to fix all figured out Kodi and never pay for a movie ever now.

36 Chambers

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is starting to cause tensions and almost degenerated into a shouting match between my co-workers and one of the streamers when my friend argued that pirating culturally important movies like Black Panther (or most new Marvel movies) was just wrong.
They are so incredibly annoying about it. yes, we can get it, you are so badass for clicking on a play button on a rogue box running god knows what on your network..
Both you and your co workers seem really obnoxious from the above. Also you seem really insecure if what they do is making you feel all sorts of ways.

At the end of the day you cant control what other people do. You dont have to pirate, but you shouldnt care if they do either.

Just ignore them and dont get into an embarrassing shouting match at work.

Live your life man.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Shitty people do shitty things.

Don't get upset over it OP. Though I am the same way where I am like in that it is extremely obnoxious when people advertise and brag about their piracy.

There are always going to be shitty people in the world. You are not going to make them good people no matter what you do.

Pelicano

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't really care, I don't really watch movies.

However, I'd pirate the shit out of a car. Those are some savings.

itwasTuesday

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I don't really care, I don't really watch movies.

However, I'd pirate the shit out of a car. Those are some savings.
Not coming from a cost savings perspective. But you can 3d print a car.
5WfL1mD.png

Deleted member 5086

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thread locked as it has lead to users advocating piracy, which is against our ToS. Additionally, it is inviting platform wars with what was edited into the OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.