• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
When I was young and we were poor we had to buy pirate movies or we didn't watch them.

Not everyone has the cash for Blu-Ray. I do now, and have never pirated anything since childhood, but I don't judge people who do.

Last edited:

hipsterbodega

Oct 30, 2017
I used to have a kind of moral superiority complex about pirating, but now I just don't care. I think if you have the means and opportunity to pay for your entertainment, you should, but otherwise, whatever. I think people stuffing hard drives full of pirated content probably weren't going to pay for it anyway. They're just hording and bragging. It's not right necessarily, but these folks really aren't customers.

Entertainment companies sometimes don't make it easy to readily enjoy their stuff either. Just before Blade Runner 2049 came out, my fiancee and I were going to rent the original on iTunes --only to find out the rental option had been removed. Warner knew folks like me would want to revisit the original, and instead of letting us rent it, they tried to goad us into buying instead by completely removing the choice. The rental option was restored about 2 weeks after 2049 was in theaters.

Heck, a lot of movies don't go up for rental on iTunes until well after the ownership option has been up for a while. I would have willingly forked over the 4 or 5 bucks to legally watch a whole bunch of stuff, but I wasn't given that opportunity. I don't pirate in response, but it's not hard to see why others might. This shit isn't quick, easy or affordable and it absolutely should be.

Deleted member 9486

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't care. I know so many people who do it, they just aren't being assholes bragging about it.

Same. I don't do it, but don't care what others do.

I, and many others, are mostly just watching things on Netflix (have disc service) or Netflix streaming (mooch off my parents account) or Redbox and only seeing in the theater and/or buying a few things like Star Wars. I have a pretty big DVD/BR collection, but regret it as I rarely rewatch anything.

Point being, it's not like most people who aren't pirating are spending much on movies anyway. If someone is just streaming movies anyway, especially with someone else's log in, they aren't really helping the studios much more than the people streaming on Kodi. I have a bit more issue with movies currently in theater, but someone fine watching on their TV probably isn't paying to go to the theater anyway and is the type to just wait until it hits Netflix or HBO etc.

So I won't do it myself, and don't condone it, but it's not something I see as worth getting upset over. The people I know are only watching mainstream stuff from big studies that's making a ton of money anyway. It's not like they're movie buffs watching a bunch of indie films and documentaries or anything that's struggling to make money.

BLLYjoe25

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i really don't care what people do but it does annoy me a little that people do it just because they feel entitled to it and want something for free. There are a lot of other reasons why people pirate and I can understand that. Maybe you don't have any way to legally buy it or maybe you aren't sure if you'll like it and just want to sample it. Not saying that's fine or an excuse to pirate but I can understand them at least.

PorkandBeans

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I don't really care. Do what you want as long as it doesn't affect me.

I just wait for everything to come to my streaming subscriptions.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I don't really care about pirating, but it sounds like your co-workers are just straight up assholes.

Squiggely

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sounds more like the silliest of work squabbles OP.

Ain't like pirating media is a new thing. Why get stressed over what people do in their private time?

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
If people are going to pirate stuff, then whatever. I'm not going to sit on a high horse about it. Them pressuring you into pirating though and berating you for it is real shitty. Not sure what else to tell you to avoid them if it continues or talk to HR about an increasingly hostile work environment. Or find a new job.

As for movies, my roommate still subscribes to the DVD version of Netflix so I'll watch some of the more popular movies when he gets them in or I'll just Redbox a blu-ray. Even then, I rarely watch or buy movies.

robosllim

Banned
Dec 4, 2017
User Warned: Advocating piracy.
OP's coworkers sound super annoying, but I have no problem pirating stuff. Last night I grabbed Suicide Squad just to see if it was as bad as people say and I really don't feel bad that they won't get my money.

I definitely still like to pay for the good shit, though. After I downloaded Annihilation and watched a review about it, I felt so bad that I bought a movie ticket online...

Crocodilelogic

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I could care less tbh. let them watch the shitty cam rips of new movies because they don't know any better.

They probably make fun of you for getting your panties in a bunch. so I would just ignore them I'd love to know where you work? Is it a rural area cuz these people all sound like children.

Squiggely

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
OP's coworkers sound super annoying, but I have no problem pirating stuff. Last night I grabbed Suicide Squad just to see if it was as bad as people say and I really don't feel bad that they won't get my money.

I definitely still like to pay for the good shit, though. After I downloaded Annihilation and watched a review about it, I felt so bad that I bought a movie ticket online...

That probably ain't a great thing to say, I'd edit it slightly. Maybe.

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
No excuse for working professionals with disposable income. It's not terrible, it's just lame.

Jackpot

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Completely indifferent.

But your colleagues are assholes, and not because of piracy.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
People brag about which films they pirated? What? That's hilarious. Just tell them 'Well, enjoy your shit quality cam version of Infinity War, while I'm gonna go watch it in actual great quality'.

Anyway, I don't personally think there's much wrong with pirating media. Sometimes it's literally the only way to watch a certain film or show. It's not like anyone from FX is going to notice that I download new Legion episodes, because it's not possible to legally watch Legion where I live anyway.

OP
OP
Shuri

Shuri

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Warned: Platform war baiting.
Do you guys feel the same about people who pirate current video games? I didn't include that part in the OP but yeah, they almost celebrate and high five each other whenever a Denuvo game is cracked. They're all big time PC Gamers yet pirate every non-mp release. They also slam consoles because you can't easily pirate them.

Dark Ninja

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't know pirating movies was still a thing.
I think its easier than ever. You don't have to torrent anymore streaming sites are more available than ever and rarely go down. The quality varies from shit to amazing. Then there are those underground type sites you have to use other web browsers to access. Personally I like legit streaming sites like netflix, hulu, HBO and buying movies especially if there is an Ultra HD version available just because I have a great TV. I wish movie studios would just release movies day 1 which I think it will eventually happen. Movie theaters will eventually become niche.

Casual

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't really care.

I only watch stuff if it's on Netflix anyways. Occasionally in a theatre but that's very rare unless it's something the girlfriend wants to see. Not a movie guy though. I couldn't imagine having a blu-ray collection at this point in my life if I was.

Your coworker judging the importance of the piracy based on whether the movie was "culturally important" is kinda strange.

DopeToast

Oct 27, 2017
I used to do it way too much, but I never really tried to justify it to anyone. I knew it was wrong/illegal, but once I got the taste of having whatever movie I wanted whenever it was hard to not just download everything. I've stopped doing it and deleted everything I pirated. I guess I just have more money and it doesn't break the bank to stream something or rent it, and I also take advantage of my local library and state system because I can pretty much rent every DVD I want to watch.

The one thing I never did was pirate movies in the theatre. That always bothered me for some reason and I like seeing stuff in the theater.

Osahi

Oct 27, 2017
What I think? Total disrespect for the work of everybody working their ass of making that movie.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
i feel like it's way easier to just rent a movie on a streaming service for a few bucks

LucidMomentum

Nov 18, 2017
Kodi is a media player app you can load onto something like an Amazon Fire Stick or an Android device.

It allows for the use of add-ons for things like media visualizers, pre-show movie quiz reels, etc.

Unfortunately, that also means some people are developing streaming add-ons to source pirated content.

XBMC / Kodi setups were popular among A/V geeks who liked having the freedom to organize their media but they often required rather expensive PCs that had hard drive space for lossless rips and had the hardware to drive them.

Nowadays, Kodi is efficient enough to run 720p/1080p streams off of an android stick so that's why its so ubiquitously used for pirated content, much to the chagrin of Kodi developers.

Chojin

Oct 26, 2017
Unless its actually affecting me personally I don't give a shit what other people do. Do I work in the movie industry? Nope. If I did I'd probably do something.

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
I dont care. I think though the general census is different in OT and gaming discussion when it comes to the same thing.

What I would love to have is the chinese model. As soon as the movie ends its theatre run, it is released on Bluray/legal Streaming sites. Wolf Warrior 2 theatre run ended, legally available on Youku or Tencent Video.

Aftermath

Oct 27, 2017
In the 80's people used to Pirate all the time especially things like Evil Dead and all those Zombie movies it's why they have become cult classics, now I'm not condoning piracy but it does help some niche things to become popular sometimes also the same with Tape Trading in the 80's particularly Rock and Metal, it helped some of the bands out, because in a lot of times a lot of people do go on to buy themselves a proper version of the media themselves if they Like it, if they are that type of collector, whereas if they never pirated it, perhaps they wouldn't have seen or heard it anyways.

What I am saying is i'd rather see Pirated things of something that didn't do well at the Cinema (like Dredd 2012) or TV shows get pirated and made a cult classic, than say your typical disney multi billion blockbustr

Also going back to Evil Dead, Ash vs Evil Dead should have been shared around like crazy and boosted it's popularity also, cos now we have lost that show.

Smugness

Banned
Mar 2, 2018
I do it myself. If I'm that excited for a movie I'll pay to go to theater. As far as in concerned, the people who pay subsidize those of us that don't.

Because you can't stop piracy. Movie companies only do so because they have to. I doubt they really make that much money off of would be pirates going to see in theaters.

Deleted member 2102

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Your coworkers just sound like jackasses in general, yelling homophobic slurs over people not pirating movies. I don't really care about whether or not people pirate movies, but people who brag about piracy are obnoxious.

The "going all in" comment is goofy as fuck, though. The compression most pirated files have looks like ass compared to lossless Blu-ray or even DVD rips. Nothing about watching some shitty re-encode streamed over Kodi is going all-in.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
I don't care at all. I know people that watched a bootleg of IW but they are still going to see it later this week. The two dudes that watched the bootleg said there was no way they could avoid spoilers for the whole week so they wanted to see it before that happened.

Geist

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't really matter to me. Anyone being paid by the sales of a movie are probably too rich for their own good, anyone else was probably paid a salary during production.

Paz

Nov 1, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
Yeah the OP's coworkers are just absolute fuckwits and I would be angry if I had to deal with them, but based on my experience the average film pirate is pretty chill about it and irrelevant to my life so I don't care.

My feelings on piracy in general tend to change like the tide though, as a silly youth I dabbled with games (Cmon man a dual tape deck was enough for a C64 game and I was 5) but now I wouldn't dream of it because my perspective in life has changed, I still don't care that much about those who do though, even those who pirate my own creations that keep me fed.

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
Piracy aside, it seems you're more mad about them spoiling a movie, which they can see in the theater anyway and still spoil it. In which case they are jerks. I hate being spoiled on things so early on if it's something I'm interested in. But at the same time, they CAN see it legally if they wanted to and in that case they CAN discuss it because that's what movies are for. Maybe you should take your lunch elsewhere for a while, or just go out Ted Mosby style. Save the trouble.

latest

Status
Not open for further replies.