Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 5491

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man... this atmo here reminds me of MAL Reviews or MAL Fansubgroup recommendations.
My freaking god. But thank you for reminding me why I usually stay out of any Anime dicussion.
Jeez

Deleted member 1258

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Im dealing with the stupid points you made earlier in the thread. If LWA isnt inspired by western cartoons, then I guess Steven Universe isnt inspired by anime then?
Fuck the Tumblr comment, bottomline the show looks like ass.
But it doesn't? We haven't even seen it in motion and the promo and concept art all look fun enough.

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Im dealing with the stupid points you made earlier in the thread. If LWA isnt inspired by western cartoons, then I guess Steven Universe isnt inspired by anime then?

"Stupid points", like you acting like a black and white segment is a "western reference"? Do I have to school you about the boatloads of black and white anime in existence?

You take a black and white frame and a Hannah Barbera reference, (both from the TV, not the original two OVAs that predate the TV by several years) and try to pass LWA off as something that only exists because of western cartoons. That's bullshit. There's been plenty of Witch Anime, Japan loves the shit out of Witches.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Ah yes the animation of the show looks quite poor... Wait they haven't show any yet?

The funny thing is that the only argument you have for the show looking bad is that ''it looks like Tumblr characters'' so you saying fuck the Tumblr comment throws your only argument out the window.

enkaisu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Pittsburgh
"tumblr the show" is definitely accurate in terms of art style and how twee it seems to be. I dunno, I'm glad I'm not subbed to Crunchyroll because if I knew this was where my money was going I'd be livid.

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Man... this atmo here reminds me of MAL Reviews or MAL Fansubgroup recommendations.
My freaking god. But thank you for reminding me why I usually stay out of any Anime dicussion.
Jeez

Blame the initial "Lol this looks like Tumblr shit lol look it's women and minorities so incluuusive" shit some of us walked into when opening this topic.

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
4chan people have used Tumblr to describe Life is Strange, the new She Ra cartoon, and even Vice Admiral Holdo in The Last Jedi.

It's just another word for SJW.

Exactly. And it's a well known smokescreen. I really don't buy the "I didn't know!" angle some of the people here are tryn'a push.

And given the first page? They knew EXACTLY what they were saying.

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still a bit confused. Is it uninspired when people master anime stylings? Or classical cartooning? Or is it simply uninspired in that it's western and adopting anime style markers?
I look at and critique a lot of art, so when I see something that looks like it's a copy of a copy of a copy, but not bringing anything new to the table, then it looks uninspired to me. That doesn't mean it's bad, or technically incompetent, it just means it's not doing much for me personally, and I will probably forget it soon because it doesn't stand out from the crowd. Mileage may vary, because art is one of the most subjective things there is.

I would never call work of someone who had mastered a style uninspired, but I clearly wasn't talking about masters in my post. I was talking about beginner or intermediate artists who are still finding themselves. Artists learn through replication and looking to others' work, but until one synthesizes their influences and their own personal quirks (one's own personal visual library of references, taste for specific rendering techniques, line weight/control, etc) into something of their own, it doesn't look like a "master", it looks like someone doing a serviceable job of replicating something else.

Classical cartooning, classical art training, and anime/manga can and should mix and learn from each other all the time. Just using a specific set of references doesn't make something inherently bad any more than it makes it inherently good. As with everything, it's all about execution.

Deleted member 42105

Banned
Apr 13, 2018
"tumblr the show" is definitely accurate in terms of art style and how twee it seems to be. I dunno, I'm glad I'm not subbed to Crunchyroll because if I knew this was where my money was going I'd be livid.

Oh, you have no idea. Especially after finding out about the HTML5 extension earlier today.

Fuck investing in quality of life changes that makes the userbase happy am I right?

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
I'll wait for a real trailer before passing judgement. The background art and world design looks cool...

Contramann

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sure it'll be fine but I wish they had shown more of the actual show so I know what the tone and characters are like. Interested to see how it turns out.

Red Frost

Alt Account
Banned
Jul 18, 2018
Looks like the crappy fauxnime from years ago like Winx Club and My Life Me. It certainly fits what some would see as "Tumblr" regardless of the staff. I also think advertising the diversity of the staff (aka a writer's room without a single PoC) before showing much tangible content is a big mistake, especially for the CR crowd.

That being said, my only issue with this is it's CR's first original series. CR making dreams come true for people that love the medium is a wonderful thing, and not everything needs to be for everyone. It's just a shame that this didn't come later in the timeline of original content, as I fear this could destroy the imitative entirely when it's the first one and the CR audience hate it. Something closer to Boondocks or Aeon Flux, or hell maybe even Neo Yokio (for the meme power) would probably go over better and assure more original series in the future.

OP
OP
HypedBeast

HypedBeast

Oct 29, 2017
Ah yes the animation of the show looks quite poor... Wait they haven't show any yet?

The funny thing is that the only argument you have for the show looking bad is that ''it looks like Tumblr characters'' so you saying fuck the Tumblr comment throws your only argument out the window.
You didnt read my post then. I said the show looks flat and formless,but then again we've only seen the model sheets and some screenshots. Hell maybe they add dome decent shading later, but right now it looks to be in that Bee and Puppycat kind style.
"Stupid points", like you acting like a black and white segment is a "western reference"? Do I have to school you about the boatloads of black and white anime in existence?

You take a black and white frame and a Hannah Barbera reference, (both from the TV, not the original two OVAs that predate the TV by several years) and try to pass LWA off as something that only exists because of western cartoons. That's bullshit. There's been plenty of Witch Anime, Japan loves the shit out of Witches.
Who the fuck said that? Quit adding to what I said and address my points. Apparently you seem to think that influence can only mean stealing. The actual artstyle is very influenced by western cartoons. Many Trigger animator love western cartoons and media, from Yoh Yoshinari to Takefumi Hori. Imaishi made an entire show that parodys adult western animation (Panty and Stocking), since he said the idea for the show came from watching Drawn Together.

Your insistence and downright hardheadedness that Trigger isnt influenced (not stolen, influenced) by some western cartoons is astounding.

Like I said if LWA isnt influenced by western cartoons, is Steven Universe not influenced by anime?

OP
OP
HypedBeast

HypedBeast

Oct 29, 2017
Exactly. And it's a well known smokescreen. I really don't buy the "I didn't know!" angle some of the people here are tryn'a push.

And given the first page? They knew EXACTLY what they were saying.
Also miss me with that shit. Im darker than your fucking avatar, yet Im somehow against minorities in the animation industry? You aint slick.

Contramann

Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't mind so much if there wasn't a show with similar artsyle and premise coming soon: The Owl House

Yo, this looks really good. What's the story with this?

Deleted member 6730

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you're subscribed to Crunchyroll you could be upset that the money was being funneled into this instead of making the service better. Their web player is abysmal, they still use flash!
I've been a crunchy roll subscriber for years and I'm fine with it.

Mostly though it's because anime fans are intimidated at the all female staff.

Feb 13, 2018
Japan
I mean, whether or not you intend it that way, you can't really deny that Tumblr as an adjective is most frequently a pejorative term used to describe superficial characteristics (the "Tumblr" crowd being whiny young SJWs with colorful hair and silly obsessions who get so easily triggered)

You should probably not feed that particular dragon, even if unintentionally
You have a point. Still, I'm not really sure how else to describe the style.

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Thread went to shit immediately with all the stupid "Tumblr" comparisons

quick question, how fan-service-y is RWBY? The popularity of that show always strikes me as odd

I don't think anyone answered this so I will, I wouldn't say it's all that fan service-y. There are a few questionable camera angles of Yang very early on in the series and a few of the female outfits are pretty skimpy, but other than that I can't recall any fan service stuff.

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México
big yikes at everyone making all kinds of assumptions over the use of 'tumblr'.

Saying that art looks like a social network site makes no sense at all. "Hey, this art looks like reddit" or "This anime looks like Facebook" is not descriptive at all, unless it's meant to be some sort of criticism of the users or moderators of those social networks. In which case, it still not being specific of the qualities of the art in question.

drog

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
I like how they emphasize diversity and then make it a point to mention their writing room is entirely women, most of which look like white women. I don't think they know what diversity is...

enkaisu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Pittsburgh
Saying that art looks like a social network site makes no sense at all. "Hey, this art looks like reddit" or "This anime looks like Facebook" is not descriptive at all, unless it's meant to be some sort of criticism of the users or moderators of those social networks. In which case, it still not being specific of the qualities of the art in question.
There's a certain art style that's real popular on tumblr, this show seems to definitely take inspiration from it. That's all I mean.

OP
OP
HypedBeast

HypedBeast

Oct 29, 2017
I like how they emphasize diversity and then make it a point to mention their writing room is entirely women, most of which look like white women. I don't think they know what diversity is...
Now this is the point no one wants to mention. How the fuck is that staff diverse if its all just pasty looking white women? I didn't see a single drop of melanin in that room, not a sister to be found there.

hibikase

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Wasn't Kiznaiver also a "Crunchyroll Original"? Though I guess it was in the Netflix sense of "original".

Feb 13, 2018
Japan
Tumblr-y might be a better way to say it. If, say, Facebook had prominent communities posting artwork in a similar distinct style, people would probably call that style Facebook-y, right?

Feral

Oct 25, 2017
Your Mom
Thread went to shit immediately with all the stupid "Tumblr" comparisons

I don't think anyone answered this so I will, I wouldn't say it's all that fan service-y. There are a few questionable camera angles of Yang very early on in the series and a few of the female outfits are pretty skimpy, but other than that I can't recall any fan service stuff.
ah thanks, I was only curious, I know nothing about the show
somehow it managed to find a pretty large audience on the internet so they must be doing something right

Ragnorok64

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
I can pretty much just copy and paste this into most new cartoon announcement threads but, I hope the writing is good, because the art style is doing it no favors.

Red Frost

Alt Account
Banned
Jul 18, 2018
ah thanks, I was only curious, I know nothing about the show
somehow it managed to find a pretty large audience on the internet so they must be doing something right

RWBY's popularity started because of the extremely talented late Monty Oum. At least that's the way I always saw it.

Status
Not open for further replies.