Status
Not open for further replies.

HypedBeast

Oct 29, 2017

...Well I guess since Netflix got Little Witch Academia, you got to make your own bootleg version of it.

Fergie

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
England m8.
F8iwVfA.jpg

Brewster123

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Charlottesville, VA
Little Witch Academia parallels aside, I'm interested to see what the end result looks like. I'll admit, I'm interested to see what they do with the 2D animation... Unoriginal premise, but the execution could be interesting.

OP
OP
HypedBeast

HypedBeast

Oct 29, 2017
WTF is with this thread and all the thinly veiled 4chan bullshit?
If you are talking about the Tumblr comments, Im sorry but Im not going back on that.
It feels like Steven Universe mixed in with a good heap of wannabe animu, a stylistic choice popular with some communities on Tumblr.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
Reminds me of when Tokyopop was making their own bootleg manga series.

It didn't end well.

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
Eh, I'll give it a shot. The art style looks like a mix of western and anime styles and isn't too bad.

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
If you are talking about the Tumblr comments, Im sorry but Im not going back on that.
It feels like Steven Universe mixed in with a good heap of wannabe animu, a stylistic choice popular with some communities on Tumblr.

It looks exactly like Steven Universe, and Steven Universe is something people would call "too Tumblr" in certain circles.

Cartoons and anime have been influenced by eachother for over 70 years, "bootleg anime" is a silly argument when this looks a lot more like a cartoon than an anime.

Were this on Netflix or Amazon, no one would even think of a silly complaint like that.

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This kind of effort is wasted on anime fans, should have been billed as a original show for VRV or something.

Hell the all woman writing staff alone guarantees that Crunchyroll's community is going to work overtime for free to tear it down.

Oct 26, 2017
Looks cute. Not for me, but I'm sure the intended audience will enjoy it.

As usual, the certain group of people who see the staff and the style of the project have come out of the woodworks.

Oct 27, 2017
Looks like someone said, "What if we made Steven Universe even MORE anime?"

I'll wait for impressions, because I know I would be making comparisons from the get-go, and that's a HIGH bar to clear for High Guardian Spice.

Edit: Yea also wondering if Crunchroll was the best Avenue for this show? Seems like it could have killed as a Netflix original (yes, I'm highly aware they don't decide which service they get to be a part of). Seems like hardcore anime fans will immediately dismiss this as "not my true animez"

OP
OP
HypedBeast

HypedBeast

Oct 29, 2017
It looks exactly like Steven Universe, and Steven Universe is something people would call "too Tumblr" in certain circles.

Cartoons and anime have been influenced by eachother for over 70 years, "bootleg anime" is a silly argument when this looks a lot more like a cartoon than an anime.

Were this on Netflix or Amazon, no one would even think of a silly complaint like that.
Oh sure,the west and east eat off each others plates all the time, but its not so much the art style just dosent look good ( it looks somewhat flat and formless), but there was a show that mixed the more slapstick style of western cartoons with the detailed backgrounds and animation of anime. I wonder what that was...
3e103be74d83cc8691599bb085fd6eb3_original.jpg

Oh well what you look at that, the show Netflix has on their platform. Like even if High Spice Guardian looks unflattering compared to Little Witch, on its own merits the trailer didnt sell me on fucking anything. What they did was anti-marketing. They barely showed off any aspect of their show and decided to talk about their staff, but that only works when you have a well-known and respected team working on a show. Why would I care that its all women if they dont have a portfolio of work to judge them by?

Thus just screams of Crunchyroll wanting to compete with Netflix originals.

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Oh sure,the west and east eat off each others plates all the time, but its not so much the art style just dosent look good ( it looks somewhat flat and formless), but there was a show that mixed the more slapstick style of western cartoons with the detailed backgrounds and animation of anime. I wonder what that was...

Oh well what you look at that, the show Netflix has on their platform. Like even if High Spice Guardian looks unflattering compared to Little Witch, on its own merits the trailer didnt sell me on fucking anything. What they did was anti-marketing. They barely showed off any aspect of their show and decided to talk about their staff, but that only works when you have a well-known and respected team working on a show. Why would I care that its all women if they dont have a portfolio of work to judge them by?

Oh, Little Witch Academia? You mean the Harry Potter Ripoff?

Come the fuck on, claiming something is inoriginal, and then comparing it to LWA of all things. Jesus.

Also, there was nothing in LWA that "combined east with west".

Not to mention that, LWA is not a Netflix creation. All they did was fund some of the TV show after the OVAs were a smash hit. Those were funded through Kickstarter and were entirely Studio Trigger's own thing.

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
3e103be74d83cc8691599bb085fd6eb3_original.jpg

I mean you can keep peddling the LWA stuff but it's fairly obvious that this show is more in line with Cartoon Network's output, unless you want to hit me with the "Steven Universe rips off X Magical Girl anime" meme. You're also ignoring the the obvious RWBY connection as well.

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
PS: I adore the shit out of LWA. Don't you dare to piss on this new show because LWA exists and both deal with Witches. I'll be grumpy as fuck if you force me to expose the unoriginality of LWA.

BY2K

Membero Americo
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Québec, Canada
Where the hell are those "tumblr: the cartoon/anime" comments coming from?

Because most of the cast has hair with weird colors?

That's some really stupid comments to make.

OP
OP
HypedBeast

HypedBeast

Oct 29, 2017
I mean you can keep peddling the LWA stuff but it's fairly obvious that this show is more in line with Cartoon Network's output, unless you want to hit me with the "Steven Universe rips off X Magical Girl anime" meme. You're also ignoring the the obvious RWBY connection as well.
Its not just me who recognizes it.
https://comicbook.com/anime/2018/08/22/crunchyroll-high-guardian-spice-original-anime-animation/
So, what's coming up to plate first? That would be High Guardian Spice, an adorable 2D animated title that will make fans of Little Witch Academia swoon.
Yeah... I dont think so.

Deleted member 5491

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not really a fan of the artstyle, which goes to a common direction these days from western cartoons, but without some actual footage
and some gist of the story I don't know if I wanna see it, but time will tell.

OP
OP
HypedBeast

HypedBeast

Oct 29, 2017
PS: I adore the shit out of LWA. Don't you dare to piss on this new show because LWA exists and both deal with Witches. I'll be grumpy as fuck if you force me to expose the unoriginality of LWA.
Oh, straight up Little Witch isnt original. It take liberally from Harry Potter, western cartoons, and prior Trigger/Gainax shows, but you want to to know what the difference is? Little Witch looks amazing, this does not.

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017

"I'm not alone in hating this show without reason and sense! There are dozens of us!"

Have you shared your opinions on the new She-Ra show on this forum?

Oh, straight up Little Witch isnt original. It take liberally from Harry Potter, western cartoons, and prior Trigger/Gainax shows, but you want to to know what the difference is? Little Witch looks amazing, this does not.

Please point me to all those animated scenes we've seen of this new show.

LWA doesn't take anything from "Western Cartoons", it's completely in Trigger's style and hasn't changed at all from what they've done in Kill La Kill. Hell, it's very much still even in the playbook of their old Gainax stuff. Stop making things up.

Deleted member 12009

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"Tumblr the cartoon." Give me a break. What kind of ignorant bullshit is that?

I dig the art. Nothing wrong with anime influenced cartoons. Hell, its great to see the best qualities of the style making their way into Western art. This stuff has never been better.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Remember how the new she ra was"Tumblr the cartoon" a week ago?

That might be a sign that the show is quality at this point, everyone kneejerking to Tumblr without seeing any real scenes.

OP
OP
HypedBeast

HypedBeast

Oct 29, 2017
"Someone else made this comparison"

Alright, that doesn't really much to me. OK KO isn't Dragon Ball or GI Joe either.
Sure, but OK KO does take a lot from Dragon Ball. Lets get away from the LWA comparisons, since thats not really my big issue with the trailer. They could have squashed my doubts about the shows bland premise by talking about the show, but they just spent the entire trailer patting themselves on the back for being ultra diverse and all women.

Yall were just talking about Cannon Busters a couple of post ago. LeSean did a great job of highlighting the staff, because they are really fucking noteworthy.
The project boasts an impressive staff, including character designer Hiroshi Shimizu (Michiko & Hatchin), storyboard director Shingo Natsume (One Punch Man), animation director Yûichi Takahashi (Gatchaman Crowds Insight) and animator Mitsuo Iso (Neon Genesis Evangelion). Thomas himself is directing the project.

Feral

Oct 25, 2017
Your Mom
quick question, how fan-service-y is RWBY? The popularity of that show always strikes me as odd

this show is going to have to fight a huge uphill battle. "Not anime", "creators are SJW", on CR of all places

Status
Not open for further replies.