Oct 26, 2017
My wallet has noticed.

Even themes I have safely ignored for years have incredible sets these days. City has been over kidified small-scale builds forever and now it's springing stuff like this on me.

shopping

Yeah, this is another example from this year. This objectively is greater than anything we ever got back in the day.

By the way, I have an old catalog for 1992 here, so it's interesting to compare. Back then in production there were:
12 different Basic "buckets" with "random" parts, divided across 3+and 5+ ages and various sizes.
3 more targeted Basic sets with lights.

14 Pirates sets. Worth mentioning is that 6 of these were around already in 1989; sets just had a longer shelf life back then so fewer sets were released per year.

13 Castle sets. Same here, lots of old stuff.

19 sets in Space subthemes: Space Police II, M-Tron and Blacktron II

5 Paradisa sets.

54 sets in City subthemes: harbor/boats, gas station, leisure, racing, trucks, police, airport, fire brigade, train

21 Technic sets (6 "advanced" including a programming system)

4 Model Team, mostly the early version of Creator Expert

So 145 sets, out of which 20 "big" sets that would cost $150+ today at the same size (they were cheaper back then but the same size sets today would have many more pieces).

Today, just checking for sets on lego.com, there are these unlicensed themes:

84 sets in City

59 sets in Friends

18 sets in Classic ("random" buckets, same as Basic)

28 sets in Creator 3-in-1, roughly the same as the targeted Basic sets

24 sets in Creator Expert, this is basically Model Team but on steroids and where most of the huge sets in this thread go

(20 sets in Dots, basically arts and crafts/decoration sets, but I'm not counting those as they had no equivalent back then)

11 sets in Dreamzzz
19 sets in Monkie Kid
46 sets in Ninjago

44 sets in Technic, including one programming system (Mindstorms)

So 334 sets in the same general genres.

Comparing 1992 to 2023:

54 City sets to 84 City sets
46 Space/Pirate/Castle sets to 76 Dreamzzz/Monkie Kid/Ninjago sets ("unlicensed action themes")
5 Paradisa sets to 59 Friends sets (girl focused lines)
15 Basic sets to 46 Classic+Creator sets
4 Model Team to 24 Creator Expert sets
21 Technic to 44 Technic

Don't have time for an in-depth analysis, but just looking at the numbers, there is basically just more of everything. City, action themes, Creator and Technic are roughly doubled. The huge differences come from the girl focused lines and the collector focused lines. So Lego is still serving the same audiences as ever, with more sets for everyone. But the increase has come from targeting new audiences on top of that.

Rei Toei

Nov 8, 2017
Tell me 'bout it. I've been eyeballing a set (Medieval Blacksmith) for ages. I think I'd enjoy building a set again, I don't see myself having it around for long tho. But could always sell, I guess. Or give it to my niece.

Oct 27, 2017
I find lego too easy. I have to mix all the bags together to get any sort challenge. I can get the "hunting for pieces" feeling from a jigsaw puzzle more easily at a fraction of the cost.

Osahi

Oct 27, 2017
Does some sort of LEGO rental service exist? I love building sets but have no desire to keep them after and mostly consider them cost prohibitive.
It's worth googling to see if there is one in your area. LEGO itself doesn't do it, but here in Belgium there are multiple companies that offer this service.

Crispy75

Oct 25, 2017
If anyone wants to scratch the "build whatever" itch, I can highly recommend the semi-official 3d design software stud.io:

Lets you build with unlimited bricks, and they're almost all available. Then you can render out images that look incredibly photorealistic, with all the imperfections, slight scratches, fingerprints etc. of the real thing. I made this replica of a local building that I'd never have enough bricks to make for real, but making it on the computer was almost as much fun :)

X4hhzry.jpg

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
Adults have, and are willing to spend, a lot more money than kids. So that makes sense.

It also makes sense that they cost so much, because the only people who can afford such expensive LEGO sets are probably people with a big enough house to put the fucking things. There have been a few that I have really wanted, but I always stop short when I ask myself "where would I even put that thing?"

I just sorta figured a lot of people treated these like puzzles where you'd eventually break them down and put them back in the box.

Although I've seen some try to keep them all whole on shelves or something.

EYEL1NER

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not a Lego person but I have bought several of the botanical collection and am interested in more stuff like that. I personally don't want a bunch of real plants around the house but my SO likes that kind of stuff. The botanical stuff looks nice-enough that it's a good compromise (well not really a compromise in my instance because my house is filled with live plants anyway, but I don't want to buy any of them so the Lego stuff works well for birthday and Christmas gifts).

n0stalghia

Jan 26, 2023
Austria
My most fun as kid was building whatever I felt like out of whatever I felt like. It looked a TV screen tuned to a dead channel, but I had so much fun. I don't feel much when looking at all those models that you build once and never touch again; I'd get bored.

SolidSnakeBoy

May 21, 2018
I think the change makes sense. LEGO now can target adults who grew up on LEGO and who can splurge on mid to high price kits. I guess the long term strategy is to create a pipeline of lifelong costumers.They are expensive, but the uptick in perceived costs looks to me to be proportional to the increase in detail and size of the sets. Lots of stuff still holds up well at the 10c per piece standard, even if that means a set with smaller pieces these days.

I have reached the point where I simply rotate my collection in and out and have stopped picking up small sets (or if I do, it's with the plan to donate them or give to my nephew as he hits the age requirements). I also make my own models which are always....too large. I expect I will need to do a culling sometime.

Also they can still be used to design random stuff. Walmart has their 1000 piece creator build boxes on sale all the time. So I think the target demographics have just grown for them, it's clear that just having more children's lines was not providing growth, so the pivot makes sense.

How do they make them chesper? I don't really know, they hold their tolerances pretty tight compared to the rest of the industry, and clearly have a fair bit of R&D that goes into product design end to end. We take for granted the cost of cresting instructions for these modern high detail sets.

Dec 11, 2017
I went on a bit of a splurge during lockdowns and have a backlog of sets to build.

- Horizon Tallneck
- Mjolnir
- Porsche 911 Turbo
- Infinity Gauntlet
- Adidas Sneakers

So many bricks.

Gibbo

The Fallen
Nov 20, 2017
Anyone else buys boxes but doesn't have time to build them? I have the DeLorean and Ecto 1 under my bed which has been untouched for the last year. And I'm considering buying the Jurassic Park set that OP posted

Rune Walsh

Too many boners
Oct 25, 2017
I would love some of these sets but I'm lower middle class. Lego has priced me out of their market :(

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone else buys boxes but doesn't have time to build them? I have the DeLorean and Ecto 1 under my bed which has been untouched for the last year. And I'm considering buying the Jurassic Park set that OP posted

I have a mountain unbuilt right now. I'm trying to move to a paper backlog more for space than money saving honestly.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone have the Titanic set? NGL, I'm so tempted to buy it.

yep I won one in a raffle. I think someone here posted pics recently too - possibly in the lego OT. Looks gorgeous and less expensive than the millenium falcon or AT-AT if you need help pretending its not crazy expensive :D

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
yep I won one in a raffle. I think someone here posted pics recently too - possibly in the lego OT. Looks gorgeous and less expensive than the millenium falcon or AT-AT if you need help pretending its not crazy expensive :D

We have the original Falcon and AT-AT models so I can't justify spending the money to get the new ones.

Cipher Peon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't grow up with Lego so I never really "got it" until my friends asked me to take them to the Lego store

And it was pretty cool and all until I saw the chess set. A chess set …. made of Legos? That's amazing! I wanted one so bad. Maybe sooner than later. Would be my first set in my entire life.

Oct 29, 2017
Who is dropping $500 on a Lego kit then just building whatever with the pieces? Lego seems like it's all about following directions now to me. And yeah, old kits had directions, but who built that then just kept it together?
if it makes you feel any better, i have some loose parts from sets i didn't like as much, and i mess around and build stuff from time to time. it's not the primary use for me, i mostly have sets sitting around, but i still tinker a bit!

Oct 25, 2017
Definitely. The upside of being in a pretty small studio apartment is that at this point, I'm pretty much tapped for space so I can talk myself out of most new purchases.

Any new one would require putting an old one away.

Dustin that's proven to be a bit of an issue on some of the fiddlier sets.

Ruck

Oct 25, 2017
Shout out to the absolute best Lego system theme to have ever released that also was made out of literal twigs and duct tape for 15 bones a pop

7700-1.jpg
7701-1.jpg

Never getting a series as brittle and cool as this again
71792.png

www.lego.com

Sora's Transforming Mech Bike Racer 71792 | NINJAGO® | Buy online at the Official LEGO® Shop US

Stunning playset that lets kids transform a posable ninja mech into a bike and recreate race action from the NINJAGO® Dragons Rising TV series

Not $15 but still kinda sick

thezboson

Oct 27, 2017
Every time I am buying a set for my nephew or nieces I come THIS CLOSE to buying one of those unreasonably expensive Technic sets for myself.

I had a smaller one as a child and I still remember much how fun it was building.

J_ToSaveTheDay

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I bought the Daily Bugle set two years ago and still haven't built it, but I loved the detail so much that it compelled me to buy.

I'd also be tempted hard by a X-Mansion or TMNT Sewer Hangout if either were to come around. I've heard rumors about an X-Mansion.

KNZFive

Oct 28, 2017
I've only bought a Lego Bonsai Tree as my first foray into adult Lego building. It was $40 on sale, quite relaxing to build, and sits nicely on top of my dresser.

I do want the Back to the Future Delorean, but I can't justify $200 for it.

However, if those rumored Legend of Zelda sets are real, then all hope is lost for me.

mere_immortal

Oct 25, 2017
A lot of the cheaper sets are really good too. I got this noodle shop on a whim because it was super discounted when I was buying food shopping and it was really fun to put together. Loads of neat details and gimmicks, really well designed. Think I paid £20 for it.

www.lego.com

Downtown Noodle Shop 31131 | Creator 3-in-1 | Buy online at the Official LEGO® Shop GB

Fun-filled, rebuildable 3in 1 LEGO® toy house playset

I reaaally want the Rivendell though.

Rackham

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I bought my girl a plant succulent set. It's nice. Why would kids care about plants. It's expensive though

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I have bought a lot more sets in recent years after not really buying any from 2000~2018 or so. Things that feel more "out of left field" can really appeal to me, like the NES, Optimus Prime, etc. kind of licensed sets.

My golden age for Lego though was late 80's~mid 90's, I really enjoyed the original themes especially space and castle themes. They kinda lost me when they ran out of good ideas and switched the space stuff to mostly Star Wars. I really like that they are doing throwback sets like the castle, pirate, sets occasionally. I got the Blacktron freebie set a while back and haven't opened it. I'd really like them to do an elaborate one that mixes Blacktron/-II/M-tron/Space Police somehow.

secretanchitman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
My brother gifted me the architecture Taj Mahal a while back and I have yet to open it because I'm unsure where I'd place it.

Whenever that Deku Tree Zelda set comes out though, I will be buying that one for sure. I normally don't buy Lego because I'd fall into the same trap as everyone else!

DeBurgo

Oct 28, 2017
I got into gunpla/plamo because it's like the same thing in terms of difficulty (you just have to be a little more cautious with a few things) but the complexity/depth of the build experience and things you can potentially do is a lot greater. Also the low end stuff is way way cheaper.

I do kinda feel like if you're an adult you should really think about graduating to model kits in general, at least for builds that aren't strictly architectural.

Zip

Oct 28, 2017
Ok now I just want that wave artwork one.

...does this stuff ever go on sale? Woof that price tag. Even for a less ridiculous item...

Oct 26, 2017
71792.png

www.lego.com

Sora's Transforming Mech Bike Racer 71792 | NINJAGO® | Buy online at the Official LEGO® Shop US

Stunning playset that lets kids transform a posable ninja mech into a bike and recreate race action from the NINJAGO® Dragons Rising TV series

Not $15 but still kinda sick

Yeah, that's another of this summer's randomly awesome sets. I love the colour scheme of that new character, but I think I'll wait until she gets the inevitable larger mech. Because the larger Ninjago mechs have been awesome too.

I have bought a lot more sets in recent years after not really buying any from 2000~2018 or so. Things that feel more "out of left field" can really appeal to me, like the NES, Optimus Prime, etc. kind of licensed sets.

My golden age for Lego though was late 80's~mid 90's, I really enjoyed the original themes especially space and castle themes. They kinda lost me when they ran out of good ideas and switched the space stuff to mostly Star Wars. I really like that they are doing throwback sets like the castle, pirate, sets occasionally. I got the Blacktron freebie set a while back and haven't opened it. I'd really like them to do an elaborate one that mixes Blacktron/-II/M-tron/Space Police somehow.

I hope the freebie wasn't them getting it all out of their system, because I'd love a three-way between those series. Could easily do something with a M-Tron base (they never had one) and two smaller Blacktron and SP ships.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I hope the freebie wasn't them getting it all out of their system, because I'd love a three-way between those series. Could easily do something with a M-Tron base (they never had one) and two smaller Blacktron and SP ships.
I certainly hope so too, but that poll they did a while back where I think Classic Space or Castle won also had Blacktron on it and it ended up pretty low, so I dunno.

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
I has the new Falcon but had to sell it before I had a chance to build it. Hopefully I can get it back one day.

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I have the Optimus Prime and it's beautiful

Omegasquash

Oct 31, 2017
There are a few sets I want to get, but I just don't have the space for much more. Currently sitting on the newest X-Wing, but I want to get the shuttle and landers too.

And I am praying to any deity that will listen for them to PLEASE RELEASE MORE TRANSFORMERS. Prime is awesome. Give me Megatron, Galvatron, Shockwave, Starscream, THE DINOBOTS, DEVASTATOR (I know they can do it because of Voltron)....

Just take my money ffs.

sAbobo

Dec 1, 2018
Is it a good one? I'm really interested in getting it but Lego sets are so expensive here. Also, I have no room to store it once it's assembled. But it looks sooooo cool.
Great set. Available in altbricks as well(with various worldwide warehouses so you should be able to get it anywhere) Ends up being about a foot in diameter. If you haven't done a Lego set in a while it blows mind on some things that weren't even a consideration before.

Stencil

Mailing Out Their Business
Oct 30, 2017
USA
Dunno what that dude is holding in his hand, but i know it became a control stick for my space station project.

Can't believe the retro lego site gave this gem a 52 rating. IIRC the set was like $8.
Idk what the retro lego site is, or what their ratings mean, but if they gave that set a 52, I don't think I want to know more about them.

I remember finally getting this set from around that era, too
6975-1.jpg

Oh man, and this minifig was one of my favs
6829-1.jpg

Aside from the awesome face decal, just the fact that they made a lego head that wasn't yellow blew my mind at the time.