MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I was just yesterday wondering if the cat in your avatar was the 'uh oh' cat.

I got my falcon a while back on sale just before the price him so was still about £500 I think. Still haven't unboxed it. And now I have the at-at and titanic I genuinely don't have space for all three - I'd reserved space for the falcon on a stand though

Edit: damn not even close to the same colour my memory is fucked

View: https://media4.giphy.com/media/vSSdLSLbGIXio/giphy.gif?cid=2154d3d7qjhks81ixkj8x17mwk4z64fil13a5uhvk985kqcf&ep=v1_gifs_search&rid=giphy.gif&ct=g

Ruck

Oct 25, 2017
So I got this today. BNIB still sealed £425 from ebay. Currently £735 on the Lego store. I got mine originally on launch day (£650 IIRC) with the UCS Falcon artwork and I believe 2 members of the Lego OT kindly sent me the other two variations of that artwork which are all in a frame. Work was short in 2019 to the point where I had to sell it and a bunch of other stuff. So pleased to have it back. My nearly 6 year old has just finished watching the OG trilogy with us and seemed to genuinely love it so this will be wild to do bits of together eventually.
53033821842_8f597b3f21_c.jpg

And yes the big ginger lump in the bottom corner is indeed the same cute little sod in my avatar. Spock is now 14 years old.
Have fun! I have never bought one of these absolutely gigantic kits, but the new Disney castle is something I'm seriously considering. I have enough VIP points to get it for free (no I don't have a Lego problem...) but I'm not sure where I would put it. I have a big shelf in my home office for my kits but I don't think it's anywhere deep enough for the castle lol

YayYay

Feb 21, 2023
I think the Lego Mario Cube deserves a special mention for being amazingly fun to build, hyper detailed, interesting to demo to people, and surprisingly affordable compared to other high end sets.

71395.png

Ruck

Oct 25, 2017
I think the Lego Mario Cube deserves a special mention for being amazingly fun to build, hyper detailed, interesting to demo to people, and surprisingly affordable compared to other high end sets.

71395.png
I'm not big on the Mario series itself but this cube & the huge Bowser are so, so good. Bowser looks so good!

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
I was just yesterday wondering if the cat in your avatar was the 'uh oh' cat.

I got my falcon a while back on sale just before the price him so was still about £500 I think. Still haven't unboxed it. And now I have the at-at and titanic I genuinely don't have space for all three - I'd reserved space for the falcon on a stand though

Edit: damn not even close to the same colour my memory is fucked

View: https://media4.giphy.com/media/vSSdLSLbGIXio/giphy.gif?cid=2154d3d7qjhks81ixkj8x17mwk4z64fil13a5uhvk985kqcf&ep=v1_gifs_search&rid=giphy.gif&ct=g
ha no, just my little kitten, tho he's 6kg now so little doesn't really cover it.
Have fun! I have never bought one of these absolutely gigantic kits, but the new Disney castle is something I'm seriously considering. I have enough VIP points to get it for free (no I don't have a Lego problem...) but I'm not sure where I would put it. I have a big shelf in my home office for my kits but I don't think it's anywhere deep enough for the castle lol
I think I got the Death Star free because I'd waited to buy a load of sets in double or triple points.

At one point I had the Tie Fighter, original R2, original Red 5, new snowspeeder, and new Death Star built, and Falcon/Slave I in the cupboard to build. All had to go 😔.

This will do me now. I'd like to get the Mk2 Viper from BSG MOC at some point but that one can't go out of production at least!

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
This will do me now. I'd like to get the Mk2 Viper from BSG MOC at some point but that one can't go out of production at least!

big one or little one? The big one I've seen is gorgeous but the little one is much more affordable to bricklink and is still a great build/display set about the scale of the Toy Story XL-15

Oct 26, 2017
ha no, just my little kitten, tho he's 6kg now so little doesn't really cover it.

I think I got the Death Star free because I'd waited to buy a load of sets in double or triple points.

At one point I had the Tie Fighter, original R2, original Red 5, new snowspeeder, and new Death Star built, and Falcon/Slave I in the cupboard to build. All had to go 😔.

MOC:s absolutely go out of production. They tend to use specific parts that can get super expensive if the MOC is popular. Like, try building the Akira bike today, you'll have to take out a mortgage for the wheels (that only came in super old Lego sets).

TimotheusNL

Jun 9, 2023
You can get a 1000 piece knockoff bucket for the same price as 100 Legos. No reason to buy the overpriced bricks for children.

Personally, no thank you. As actual children's toys, LEGO lasts for an eternity and in my opinion is a huge boon for development of fine motor skills, creativity, problem solving and basic engineering principles.

I happily spend money on quality toys like that.

JonCha

Oct 29, 2017
UK
Was set at getting a Series S but saw this thread and then Saturn V's available for roughly the same price and I figure what would be more fun and long-lasting.

Oct 29, 2017
I hope they do more NASA stuff. I need more sets to go with my Saturn V, Space Shuttle, and ISS.

I need to build my Atari set too. I want that Pacman set so bad, but I need to finish what I've got first.

I immediately get those. Barely anything else because it's a slippery slope for me.

But yeah, Saturn V, Discovery, ISS, LEM, and now the Perseverance rover.

I follow the news very often though and I adore the direction LEGO is going.

Oct 29, 2017
You can get a 1000 piece knockoff bucket for the same price as 100 Legos. No reason to buy the overpriced bricks for children.

This forum can surprise me in the worst ways possible.

We constantly complain about exploitation and overall terrible companies yet when we have one that's:

- an amazing place to work
- does lot of their manufacturing in the EU and US in places that would be the polar opposite of a sweatshop
- employ incredible and hard to replace creative talent while paying them well
- create universally positive and timeless toys
- super progressive
- have a second hand market full of speculation and scalpers and actively fights it

But hey let's just get the knockoffs that are obviously not doing any of that because a toy that is made by this company is too expensive.

Fuck. That.

Oct 29, 2017
FYI there is a UCS Venator class star destroyer coming at the end of the year.

Think like UCS Star Destroyer in size.

I never bought a SW set but that's the one.

AzorAhai

Oct 29, 2017
No no no.

For me, lego is bricks.

If it starts using some unique shapes as buidling blocks, it's cheating, it's not Lego.

AzorAhai

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah, those horrible unique specialized parts, they ruined Lego. Everything was better before in, let's see...

712oldpb01.png

bb0071pb01.png

27b.png

1956?

I guess I only had the poor kid's sets with standard blocks haha.

It was not serious criticism anyway, the quality has obviously gone way up and recent sets are impressive. I'm just not into the more complex ones.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
FYI there is a UCS Venator class star destroyer coming at the end of the year.

Think like UCS Star Destroyer in size.

I never bought a SW set but that's the one.

I have the previous venator (son's christmas present) and liked that a lot. It may be the only non OT ship I'd be interested in, but I can't manage anything UCS SD size - something more mid sized like the republic gunship would be nice. They can still add lots of detail

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
big one or little one? The big one I've seen is gorgeous but the little one is much more affordable to bricklink and is still a great build/display set about the scale of the Toy Story XL-15
this one
rebrickable.com

LEGO MOC Colonial Viper MkII by DavDupMOCs | Rebrickable - Build with LEGO

This is my UCS scale version of the iconic Colonial Viper MkII from the Battlestar Galactica reboot series.The model includes a display stand, and has a slidable canopy and retractable landing gears,...

MOC:s absolutely go out of production. They tend to use specific parts that can get super expensive if the MOC is popular. Like, try building the Akira bike today, you'll have to take out a mortgage for the wheels (that only came in super old Lego sets).
I guess. Not looked in depth enough at the Viper to know if it uses some random part or not. Honestly enver even bought the bits for a MOC so I would be starting blind.

Oct 26, 2017
this one
rebrickable.com

LEGO MOC Colonial Viper MkII by DavDupMOCs | Rebrickable - Build with LEGO

This is my UCS scale version of the iconic Colonial Viper MkII from the Battlestar Galactica reboot series.The model includes a display stand, and has a slidable canopy and retractable landing gears,...

I guess. Not looked in depth enough at the Viper to know if it uses some random part or not. Honestly enver even bought the bits for a MOC so I would be starting blind.

The go to answer is always Bricklink. I bricklinked a lot of big builds so I wrote a guide on how to do it:

It's a bit outdated but the principle logic still applies. Unfortunately with a MOC you'll have to do the first step of adding all the parts to a wanted list manually.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Rebrickable instructions will sometimes come with an xml to make that part a bit easier

I do find over a certain number of bricks it gets really frustrating. I did a grand emporium that took forever, so I try and stick to <1000 pieces

Jun 11, 2023

https%3A%2F%2Fhypebeast.com%2Fimage%2F2024%2F05%2F14%2Flego-lord-of-the-rings-barad-dur-10333-release-date-5.jpg

https%3A%2F%2Fhypebeast.com%2Fimage%2F2024%2F05%2F14%2Flego-lord-of-the-rings-barad-dur-10333-release-date-4.jpg

https%3A%2F%2Fhypebeast.com%2Fimage%2F2024%2F05%2F14%2Flego-lord-of-the-rings-barad-dur-10333-release-date-14.jpg

Well, I thought I'd share this recently revealed set. Holy cow. I think I may expand from collecting Lego Star Wars and get this set along with Rivendell. It's absolutely gorgeous.

I LOVE the use of color on the tower to simulate the glow of lava lighting up the black metals.
For god sake Lego I don't have the room for this shit right now or the funds. Why are you doing this to me?! *takes out wallet*

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
I really want that set and it's probably the first time I've ever seriously considered building a lego set and using glue the whole way to make sure it stays together. I need this in my living room on a pedestal or something.

Oct 26, 2017
I really want that set and it's probably the first time I've ever seriously considered building a lego set and using glue the whole way to make sure it stays together. I need this in my living room on a pedestal or something.

Never ever ever ever glue Lego. 1) it doesn't need it, and 2) it absolutely destroys any resale value, which is normally 90% around release and then going up after it's discontinued after 3+ years. You'd be lucky to get 20% of the value for a glued set, and this is $500 to begin with.

Unless you throw it to the floor, it won't break. And if it does, you just rebuild it. The only way to destroy Lego is either snapping individual parts (and those can be replaced)... or gluing it.

Daniagatha

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 31, 2018
Brazil
Who is dropping $500 on a Lego kit then just building whatever with the pieces? Lego seems like it's all about following directions now to me. And yeah, old kits had directions, but who built that then just kept it together?

There are a lot of fans that still build originals.

There are lug's (lego user group) where people usually reunite and do expos to show their creations. They usually don't show sets and encourage people to build their own thing.

Oct 28, 2017
I have the Seinfeld set and I put it all together, and for like a week I kept my son from messing around with it, but that just made me feel like will Ferrell in the Lego movie, so I just let him go for it.

They really are more marketed and designed as models now than a creativity vehicle. But to me that's boring and I'll be damned if I'm gonna be the supervillain who won't let my kid mess around with them. All the power to the people who want to do that though

Oct 29, 2017
Minnesota

Well, I thought I'd share this recently revealed set. Holy cow. I think I may expand from collecting Lego Star Wars and get this set along with Rivendell. It's absolutely gorgeous.

I LOVE the use of color on the tower to simulate the glow of lava lighting up the black metals.
Amazing. I got my mom the Rivendell set for Christmas last year. She's interested in this new one, so if she doesn't spring for it herself, it'll wind up being a gift, I think. She had a blast putting the other LOTR set together.

Crazyorloco

Dec 12, 2017
I get the 3 in 1 sets. They're pretty affordable too. I have a table in my living room with Legos on it. People who come over change the scenario and get creative.

I will eventually get a big set if I have space.

OP
OP
MasterYoshi

MasterYoshi

Oct 27, 2017
Barad Dur seems like a great preview of how cool an adult aimed Jabba's Palace set could be.

UCS Jabba's Sail Barge is all but confirmed for the next UCS Star Wars release in the Fall. I won't miss another Sail Barge.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I hope kids still have giant boxes of mis-matched lego pieces that they create their own stuff out of.

That's what "playing with lego" was to me as a kid, like an actual creative outlet, not "copy this design and display it."

There's nothing wrong with the latter, but I think the former is much better for it being in any way a toy that aids in childhood development.

Or maybe it has always been that way and I was just poor so my parents only had a giant box of hand-me-downs.

there are sitll the classic 'bricks in a bucket' packs for christmas presents, or city/police/fire etc which come out every year at a range of price points. Likely millions of kids still get those for birthdays and christmas and break them up into a big tub and then make a rainbow tower/house because they don't have enough pieces of a particular colour, just like we did when we were little.

Just now there are more sets for adults.

I've probably gone full circle - I've organised broken down sets into their loose parts so I can adapt my own stuff but I'm realising I probalby just build the sets so I may try and sell on some sets (if I can take the time to get all the parts together for older sets) and then use the storage space I had for loose bricks and use it instead for storing complete sets in ziploc bags or similar

Oct 27, 2017
Adult pro tip: You don't actually want Lego, you want a jigsaw puzzle for the fraction of the cost that you can forget about afterwards. As a bonus, it will provide an actual challenge.

nullref

Oct 27, 2017
Adult pro tip: You don't actually want Lego, you want a jigsaw puzzle for the fraction of the cost that you can forget about afterwards. As a bonus, it will provide an actual challenge.

I find the piece-hunting, pattern-matching challenge of jigsaw puzzles pretty tedious for the most part. I don't see building Lego sets by instructions as being about challenge at all—it's ideally a fun, tactile tutorial of novel building techniques, resulting in a model that you can enjoy looking at and interacting with. Then it breaks down into parts to create other things, if you want.

I'll grant that I'm not personally into displaying a bunch of Lego models or storing some giant collection of pieces, but that's just me.

Last edited:

Polioliolio

Nov 6, 2017
I don't really think the rounded special pieces look good. Seems contrary to the point of Lego.
So with modern sets you have this abstract thing that doesn't stick to the original blocky style, and instead just comes off as weird and unattractive.

I grew up PLAYING with legos, so the idea of building one very specific thing and then what... then what do you do with it? Hoard it?
At least Gundam models look cool. These are like models for bad looking versions of cool things.

Oct 27, 2017
no actually I don't.

What a weird comparison. Oh you don't wanna build this block model, you want a flat image???

Maybe if you said "what you want is a Gundam model kit" it would make more sense.

Fitts

You know what that means
Oct 25, 2017
I don't really think the rounded special pieces look good. Seems contrary to the point of Lego.
So with modern sets you have this abstract thing that doesn't stick to the original blocky style, and instead just comes off as weird and unattractive.

I grew up PLAYING with legos, so the idea of building one very specific thing and then what... then what do you do with it? Hoard it?
At least Gundam models look cool. These are like models for bad looking versions of cool things.

I like Gunpla and Lego. Personally, I enjoy the engineering that goes into Lego builds. There's some surprisingly imaginative techniques that blow my mind. Heck, even the manuals celebrate the subject matter. They've done a great job of making these premium sets feel like an event to build and it's not really comparable to building random stuff from the bucket-o-bricks I had as a kid.

I also think a lot of the sets look damn cool on display, but it's fine to have a different opinion.

DeathPeak

Oct 27, 2017
I miss when Lego was a creative toy and not just a 3D puzzle for adults with disposable income.

I mean, it's not much different from model kits. And it's not like you can't buy random bricks to build whatever you want. Not sure why it matters that these sets exist.

I've built the Fender Strat. Fortunately it's a smaller set. I love all the Space sets and wish I had the space to display them. I still have the Poe Dameron X-Wing boxed up cause I wouldn't have somewhere to put it. 😔