Fitts

You know what that means
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, my wallet has noticed.

I bought the two Simpsons sets. I wish they'd done more. I wanted Moe's and the school. Though I still haven't put the Kwik-E Mart together. I don't have space for it right now.

The Simpsons sets and Voltron were the ones that make me take notice. Almost bought them but was able to resist. The NES set almost got me again. Then the BttF DeLorean got me and opened the floodgates. The Mighty Bowser is my favorite. It's an incredible display piece and something I can actually "play with." Awesome build experience too.

Fortunately nothing has given me the urge to compulsively buy this year. A bunch of sets I'm interested in but nothing I "need."

Lord Error

Oct 27, 2017
Most fun built thus far was Van Gogh's Starry Night, which is absolutely gorgeous because of all the details.

21333_alt2.png
Can't recommend this enough. Even though you're following instructions, it just keeps surprising you the way things are built. And when it's done, it's not just a surprisingly faithful reproduction of a painting, but a whimsical diorama, and an homage to Van Gogh's special mind. The 3D view built of legos is what Gogh 'sees' as he's making his painting in front of it. Ingenious.

Last edited:

jkanownik

Oct 27, 2017
If you work hard enough, you may one day be able to afford a place to hold an Eiffel Tower model.

LEGO-Eiffel-Tower-building-block-set-01-1200x900.jpeg

My 8 year old son built this model and has it displayed on his little square Lego table in his normal sized bedroom. He has severe ADHD and the big hard sets are great for his self esteem and helping him learn to manage frustration.

PopsMaellard

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
My 8 year old son built this model and has it displayed on his little square Lego table in his normal sized bedroom. He has severe ADHD and the big hard sets are great for his self esteem and helping him learn to manage frustration.

That's super cool. I don't know if I would have gotten through a set that complex at his age.

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
Also can we talk about Friends? I have seen *women* trash Friends brand on twitter saying lego was for everyone blah blah. My daughter likes Lego, but she LOVES Friends sets.
Also some of these sets are freaking awesome, shes practically got her own little city going on cause some of the sets can connect to each other like the Lego modulars do.
I didn't like some of the first few Friends sets when they first came out but there are some really stand out ones. The botanical garden out right now looks pretty cool.

Aug 17, 2022
Who is dropping $500 on a Lego kit then just building whatever with the pieces? Lego seems like it's all about following directions now to me. And yeah, old kits had directions, but who built that then just kept it together?

Lots of people do both approaches you listed, it's Lego. People can do whatever they want. Nothing wrong with them being a creative toy, nothing wrong with them being big puzzles for adults.

This may shock you, but every single set from decades ago still had directions you needed to follow to make it how it's pictured. Dunno where you get this "it's all about following directions now".

And there's many unlicensed and original sets you can get for any type of building.

iu

iu

iu

lambdaupsilon

Apr 17, 2018
This may shock you, but every single set from decades ago still had directions you needed to follow to make it how it's pictured. Dunno where you get this "it's all about following directions now"
this is a common refrain for some reason; it often leads into, like, people being weirdly mad about the innards of newer large sets looking like clown vomit (to make a more pleasant building experience) and how they can't use the bricks from a UCS star destroyer to make something else because it's not all gray. or... something.

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
As an owner of the bonsai tree, NES/TV, Bowser, and Rivendell, yes, and it's awesome! I've never been much into Lego until these.

Culex

Oct 29, 2017
We got my 9-year old son the Great Pyramid and it was a lot of fun to put together. The lighting kit it comes with makes it look remarkable in the dark.

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
Constantly impressed with new sets, and I don't mean just the super high end ones

I always loved Lego, but back when I was a kid (a long time ago) I had issues with most sets. I was never 100% satisfied, I thought they could be improved in so many ways, either aesthetically or in terms of stability or what have you.
Always felt I could do much better (and I did :P won a few official competitions back in the day and I'm pretty sure I inspired at least one or two sets).

These days though? They are so clever I'm always amazed at the solutions these new designers come up with. In part because I'm not familiar with the new pieces, but mostly because Lego designers of today really are masters of their craft and raised the bar so high.
And don't get me started on large Technics sets; absolute engineering marvels.

Only issue is, I can't bring myself to disassemble these modern sets to build different things. And I don't really have any spare shelf/room to display them either.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They have been for a while with the Creator Expert modular buildings:

maxresdefault.jpg

With that said, it's great to see that expanded.

rObit

Oct 27, 2017
Don't sleep on the Speed Champions sets. I have six on display in my office and one at my desk at home. They're relatively cheap and very fun builds.

Yes!

I've recently gotten into these. Not too expensive, extremely fun to build, and don't take up a lot of space either. I have two (Pagani Utopia and Lotus Evija) and they sit nicely on my little shelf in my cube at work. Love them and can't wait to add more to the collection.

nny

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, my wallet was noticed, yes.

This is the last official set I built:

ofxhrz1.jpg

The last thing I built was a MOC for a competition (I began with real parts, but since I didn't have all the colors, I finished on Bricklink Studio):

9U0viE1.png

One of my favorite themes has been the Winter Village, and that has become the highlight of my Holiday decorations (here pictured with some modulars as well) :)

iClDwD8.jpg

So yeah, I really like LEGO, but it can take a toll on finances (and on space!).

Rirse

Jun 29, 2019
Ironically enough never got into legos back in the day because I was looking at some in Kohls and saw the 'age 3 to 11' tag on a lot of them and figure 'guess I am too old for this". Now it 'guess too expensive for this", because jeez they are pricey.

Oct 27, 2017
It's a bit worrying too, but I'm assuming they know their market. And they do market to kids, there is just as many kids oriented sets for all ages. City, Friends, Creator, Ninjago, and so on. The only difference is that they added more sets on the older range for teens and adults.

Particularly this year Friends and City are on fire, with some amazing builds even for that age group.

Happy to see someone mention the Friends sets! Those have had some fantastic sets this year. My favorite has been the tiny house set.

BreakyBoy

Oct 27, 2017
All you've done is remind me that I broke the nose of my Lego Space Shuttle earlier this year, and it doesn't look like I can fix it without dismantling and rebuilding half the thing.

Other than that, I have a few of the flowers built in my bedroom. Oh, and I'm probably getting the giant Bowser for my nephew for Christmas. Knowing him, it'll get built within a day or two.

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed making gunplas in the past but legos feels like such a better value as you can tear it down and have pieces for the kids to play w/ when you're done with it.

I feel the opposite - I mean, sure, Gunpla is limited to pre-designed mecha models (or you can find model kits of other stuff, I guess), But I get way more "hobby time" for the $25, because I'm carefully cutting out, filing, putting together and finishing with different paints and stuff, and the finished product can be posed like a figure. Lego is really charming and better-designed than ever, but you can blast through the build in a night.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I have 4 billy bookcases with glass doors full of lego, and a few sets sitting out on shelves etc. Way too much and I need to start a rotation plan.

Have the bonsai, flower bouquet and orchids out in the living/bedroom as my wife appreciates(accepts) them, along with the great wave art set on the wall.

Dilly

Oct 26, 2017
I limited myself to the space sets, currently have Apollo, the ISS and the Space Shuttle with Hubble. Especially the last one is delightful

Alcoremortis

Oct 25, 2017
While these sets are cool, there's a part of me that really misses the LEGO pre-licensing, where you could just buy like one of their non-specific robot space guys in a cool octopus style spaceship.

Wish I hadn't donated those pieces, but I lost the manuals decades ago, so it wasn't like I could build the original spaceships anymore.

Oct 26, 2017
While these sets are cool, there's a part of me that really misses the LEGO pre-licensing, where you could just buy like one of their non-specific robot space guys in a cool octopus style spaceship.

Wish I hadn't donated those pieces, but I lost the manuals decades ago, so it wasn't like I could build the original spaceships anymore.

Ninjago isn't licensed. Monkie Kid isn't licensed. Dreamzzz, a theme releasing in a month, isn't licensed. These quite literally have what you're asking for: crazy and weird robots, spaceships and monsters.

Alcoremortis

Oct 25, 2017
Ninjago isn't licensed. Monkie Kid isn't licensed. Dreamzzz, a theme releasing in a month, isn't licensed. These quite literally have what you're asking for: crazy and weird robots, spaceships and monsters.

While I'm happy they still have some non-licensed stuff, according to their website there's not a ton of sets at least for Dreamzzz. There's one space set according to their license, and it's more of a stylized space shuttle. They're also like super elaborate, which is cool, but it's less ideal for taking apart and making new shit.

vs what I grew up with, which was stuff like this (actually, I know I had these specific sets):
v253a4v2z3v244n5j4o5l2x264p2p21334w2.jpg
6887-Allied-Avenger-91.jpg
6903-1.jpg

Crispy75

Oct 25, 2017
Does some sort of LEGO rental service exist? I love building sets but have no desire to keep them after and mostly consider them cost prohibitive.
Lego rental clubs do exist, but they tend to be small scale home-run businesses. I had a 6 month run with https://brickclub.uk/ which was good fun. I couldn't justify the three figure price of those huge Technic sets, but for the price of less than one of them I got to build six of them. Had to cancel cos my spare time went to zero while studying, but it's a great service.

Google for Lego Subscription and you'll probably find one that ships to you.
I didn't like some of the first few Friends sets when they first came out but there are some really stand out ones. The botanical garden out right now looks pretty cool.
Yeah my daughters have a bunch of them and they're really good sets. Tons of details and neat building techniques. They have a big tub of random bricks, which get used to augment the role play they do with the Friends sets. A while back I ran a dumbed-down session of Dungeons and Dragons for them, with all the characters and locations built on the fly with Lego, and the Friends sets were a great source. Take a horse, remove the saddle, stick a bunch of tree fronds on and you've a got a Leafy Pegasus! The Friends characters all geared up with shields and swords look hilarious :D

Last edited:

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Because kids toys change quickly. I suspect more and more kids just don't give a shit about Lego. It's the same with comics. It seems to be the parents bringing the kids to these events and films.

Dilly

Oct 26, 2017
Oh, my wallet was noticed, yes.

This is the last official set I built:

ofxhrz1.jpg

The last thing I built was a MOC for a competition (I began with real parts, but since I didn't have all the colors, I finished on Bricklink Studio):

9U0viE1.png

One of my favorite themes has been the Winter Village, and that has become the highlight of my Holiday decorations (here pictured with some modulars as well) :)

iClDwD8.jpg

So yeah, I really like LEGO, but it can take a toll on finances (and on space!).

There is a Marslander set?

Goddamnit I thought I could stop after the Lunar Lander.

The Deleter

Sep 22, 2019
Can't believe no one posted this yet.. unless I'm blind

View: https://youtu.be/V8e2f9j-iJo

Annie raising her hand with Jeff immediately pulling it back down fucking ended me, I dunno how I missed this episode

Those traditional Lego themes are starting to be absorbed into the other themes, unfortunately. There's just so many licensed themes that it doesn't really make sense for them to be running a space-theme when Star Wars dominates, or a sci-fi theme when Marvel and DC keep outselling them. Meanwhile lines like City, which used to be incredibly traditional with the municipal services, are starting to get experimental additions like space exploration, sport culture, power mining, or underwater sub lines, which are distinctly where other traditional Lego themes used to draw from. Others get released in Creator now, like the most recent castle sets, or the "nostalgia grab" releases.

It's incredibly homogenized, so my inner 12 year old will always feel badly about that loss in creativity, but it's just what sells nowadays. There are lines like Monkey Kid, Ninjago, and experiments like Hidden Side, but it's just not the same as the variety they once offered back in the day.

Onebadlion

Oct 27, 2017
I'm constantly being tempted by the kind of sets in the op but the price and size of them puts me off. As much as I'd love a Lego Eiffel Tower or Titanic, they take up so much space.

I did buy myself the Stratocaster kit though. It's sits proudly on top of my amp.

Chindogg

Oct 25, 2017
East Lansing, MI
Annie raising her hand with Jeff immediately pulling it back down fucking ended me, I dunno how I missed this episode

Those traditional Lego themes are starting to be absorbed into the other themes, unfortunately. There's just so many licensed themes that it doesn't really make sense for them to be running a space-theme when Star Wars dominates, or a sci-fi theme when Marvel and DC keep outselling them. Meanwhile lines like City, which used to be incredibly traditional with the municipal services, are starting to get experimental additions like space exploration, sport culture, power mining, or underwater sub lines, which are distinctly where other traditional Lego themes used to draw from. Others get released in Creator now, like the most recent castle sets, or the "nostalgia grab" releases.

It's incredibly homogenized, so my inner 12 year old will always feel badly about that loss in creativity, but it's just what sells nowadays. There are lines like Monkey Kid, Ninjago, and experiments like Hidden Side, but it's just not the same as the variety they once offered back in the day.

City is basically an excuse to remake old lines that would be too expensive to make now.

I'm glad they brought back underwater, space, and soon artic expedition sets through City.

Also there's a new line coming out called Dreamz which has some really great sets.

I saw the big Bowser one in a store and thought it looked amazing, wanted it before I spotted the pricetag and walked out

I really like Lego but I very rarely get any. Several years ago I was gifted a Ninjago boat. I don't know anything about Ninjago but it's a nice boat and it must be cheaper than the other IPs. I don't love the sails tho.

My biggest complaint historically with Lego was the lack of Asian inspired architecture. Luckily Ninjago, Monkie Kid, and the lunar new year sets have really brought that into the fold with new sets like the Himeji castle and Zen garden sets coming.

xendless

Teyvat Traveler
Jan 23, 2019
I saw the big Bowser one in a store and thought it looked amazing, wanted it before I spotted the pricetag and walked out

I really like Lego but I very rarely get any. Several years ago I was gifted a Ninjago boat. I don't know anything about Ninjago but it's a nice boat and it must be cheaper than the other IPs. I don't love the sails tho, they're just flat plastic.

70618_alt9_1024x.jpg

nny

Oct 25, 2017
There is a Marslander set?

Goddamnit I thought I could stop after the Lunar Lander.

It just came out this month! (Unless you're in the US, it will only release in August)

I really recommend it; it's a Technic set, so it has functioning mechanisms (for the wheels and arm).

Last edited:

Alcoremortis

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, I get it, but the heart wants what it wants. And what it wants are dank space ships with the neon windows.

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
Most of the stuff in this thread seems to be stuff that is only available online and in Lego stores. If I walk down the Lego aisle in Walmart I see sets max out at about $150 CAD. When I was a kid they maxed out at about $120 CAD in the same aisle. The castle I got for Xmas 1995 was 95 USD, likely about $130 CAD for 743 pieces. About $230 CAD equivalent in. 2023. The new collector castle is $499 CAD for 4514 pieces.

People complain about Lego prices but guess what; money isn't worth shit these days so Lego was also super expensive when your parents were buying it for you back in the day. You can still get buckets of random coloured bricks for cheaper if you're "too creative for instructions". Personally, I loved building themed sets as a kid; then taking them apart with friends and building our own versions, then rebuilding the official version and adding to it to make it even better.

Dang it, I want this, too. However, on the one hand, it's clearly inflating the cost with all the pieces to make up what used to be a single baseplate part, but on the other, I reallllly want to see them update the Imperial Trading Post some day.
They've gone back to building everything of pieces because the huge baseplates were a complaint for a lot of people. Those baseplates were complained about 25 years ago as Lego cheaping out and lacking creativity. Plus sets with baseplates meant fewer pieces in a set for friends and me to build our own creations as kids. Lego used the same mould back in the day with different patterns for multiple castles and pirate sets.

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
My wallet has noticed.

Even themes I have safely ignored for years have incredible sets these days. City has been over kidified small-scale builds forever and now it's springing stuff like this on me.

shopping

UshiromiyaEva

Aug 22, 2018
I think Lego has capitalized on their nostalgia status very well while being able to market and package very expensive/complex sets for adult collectors and parents alike.

These things haven't been cheap for a long time now, so I think pivoting towards more ornate and well designed mega sets has been really smart despite how many people might double take at the price of the luxury sets. I wish I had space and the justification for the Titanic one.

The Deleter

Sep 22, 2019
Shout out to the absolute best Lego system theme to have ever released that also was made out of literal twigs and duct tape for 15 bones a pop

7700-1.jpg
7701-1.jpg

Never getting a series as brittle and cool as this again