• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Just so everyone interested in Dan's book is aware, he goes on a long side road talking about child abuse throughout history. I couldn't really handle it when I was last listening so just wanted to give a heads up to people sensitive to such things.

Given the kinds of things he usually talks about it's not that surprising but just wanted people to be aware.

(Also sorry to anyone who gets disappointed by the bump.)
Yeah, I just got to that part in the book, actually.

butalala

Nov 24, 2017
I certainly didn't expect so much about MacArthur in a series that was so focused on Japan. I was pretty distracted by other stuff on my mind, so I might feel better about it next listen.

Cass_Se

Oct 25, 2017
Generally my biggest issue with this series is how American-centric it really is. I know Dan can go on extreme tangents but it feels like the entire Supernova series is just springboard to topics like American democracy, history of genocides, or development of WW2 navy. Though I felt part 3 was a bit better in that regard, after part 2 was basically just 3-4 giant hour-long tangents.

Oct 25, 2017
I use Pocket Casts on Android and I see it. Make sure you are looking at Hardcore History Adendum, and not the regular Hardcore History.
........ I had no idea this was a distinct thing. Thank you.

I'm sure Dan would say that he just needed to commit more time to HH (which I assume is much more popular), but I wouldn't doubt part of it was the emergence of Trump and how difficult it became for him to continue given his varied audience and his own politics (IDW-ish). I remember he initially had a sort of positive impression of Trump (ie, someone needs to fuck up the status quo), then spent an episode eating crow and explaining himself, and finally began to focus on how extreme and inflexible political discussion had become.

Last edited:

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
Just saw his photo on twitter and I can't see that voice coming out of that face. I always pictured Last Jedi era Mark Hamill.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
........ I had no idea this was a distinct thing. Thank you.

I'm sure Dan would say that he just needed to commit more time to HH (which I assume is much more popular), but I wouldn't doubt part of it was the emergence of Trump and how difficult it became for him to continue given his varied audience and his own politics (IDW-ish). I remember he initially had a sort of positive impression of Trump (ie, someone needs to fuck up the status quo), then spent an episode eating crow and explaining himself, and finally began to focus on how extreme and inflexible political discussion had become.

I only remember that he did say he wanted an outsider to break the status quo and Trump was basically a monkey's paw as he's afraid that he would discredit the notion of outsiders getting elected.

I do know that he's always tried to be as nonpartisan as possible but it's effectively impossible atm.

viciouskillersquirrel

Cheering your loss
Oct 25, 2017
Yes and he's right, Olympias should have a movie all to herself.

Honestly, there should be a TV series on Olympias following her from birth all the way to her execution via that asshole Cassander
Starz has done some adaptations of Philippa Gregory's novels. Each one uses different actors to play the same characters at different times in their lives (Margaret Beaufort in particular has some stellar actresses play her). I wouldn't mind seeing an adaptation in that style.

It'd take a multi series show to do it justice though.

bomma man

Oct 25, 2017
I only remember that he did say he wanted an outsider to break the status quo and Trump was basically a monkey's paw as he's afraid that he would discredit the notion of outsiders getting elected.

I do know that he's always tried to be as nonpartisan as possible but it's effectively impossible atm.

While I agree with him that the American political establishment is rotten to its core, on both sides, outsiderism for the sake of outsiderism, divorced of ideology, is naive at best and sociopathic at worst. Like, what does a right wing outsider look like if not Trump? Who suffers under right wing government? Easy for Dan to say, as a no doubt financially stable white guy, that he doesn't care what direction the flames come from as long as someone burns it down. Harder if you think, for a second, about the inevitable consequences for the working class, immigrants, minorities etc.

Edit: not to mention the environment, like fuck me

Oct 25, 2017

Don't recall him fearing outsiders being discredited. I just remember him, while qualifying his comments by saying he wasn't a fan of Trump's, essentially praising him as a breath of fresh air in 2015. Carlin was so anti-establishment that I think he lost sight of how horrible Trump was. He ended up basically admitting as much.

^^ will echo bomma man as well

viciouskillersquirrel

Cheering your loss
Oct 25, 2017
I always felt Dan was a small "c" conservative who just got disillusioned with what Republican chicanery. All he really wants at the end of the day are low taxes and FREEDOM while he fears hyperinflation and financial collapse like a Puritan fears the devil. Like many white independents, he agrees that racism is bad in principle, but the issue doesn't excite him enough to get on his high horse about it, or indeed, change his voting behaviour. He seems to be like "If only the Republicans weren't so blatantly corrupt and so nakedly, hideously evil!"

bomma man

Oct 25, 2017
I always felt Dan was a small "c" conservative who just got disillusioned with what Republican chicanery. All he really wants at the end of the day are low taxes and FREEDOM while he fears hyperinflation and financial collapse like a Puritan fears the devil. Like many white independents, he agrees that racism is bad in principle, but the issue doesn't excite him enough to get on his high horse about it, or indeed, change his voting behaviour. He seems to be like "If only the Republicans weren't so blatantly corrupt and so nakedly, hideously evil!"

You know you're on some strong libertarian shit when when you think rent seeking is destroying the country but have no problem with economic inequality and are incapable of seeing the connection.

smisk

Oct 27, 2017
Never been able to quite put my finger on Dan's politics but there was a whole episode of Common Sense where he compared the US's health care system to that of other countries and made the case for single payer.
But anyway, is the Addendum episodes worth listening to? Never dipped into them, and I'm usually more interested in 20th century history.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles

Like a a worse Hank Hill.

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
Never been able to quite put my finger on Dan's politics but there was a whole episode of Common Sense where he compared the US's health care system to that of other countries and made the case for single payer.
But anyway, is the Addendum episodes worth listening to? Never dipped into them, and I'm usually more interested in 20th century history.
The only Addendum episodes he has done on pre-20th century stuff are this one and the one about Caesar vs William the Conqueror. Also an interview with Mike Duncan.

Avengers23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Have to love Dan starting the episode declaring his intention that this will be a short episode before launching into a 3+ hours episode about Olympias.

Also, the thread title should be updated to reflect the Addendum's release.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
He's never going to do shorter episodes, poor guy. There's just too many interesting things to talk about, even with relatively narrow subjects. I think he should just merge the feeds and if it's a one-off episode, label it as such. I think a lot of his fans don't know about the addendum feed.

uncleniccius

Nov 3, 2017
So I've listened to the series on Japan because of this thread, what else is must listen? Have really enjoyed it.

butalala

Nov 24, 2017
If you are interested in ancient history, King of Kings is great. Short answer is: listen to everything.

Luap

Oct 26, 2017
Woooooo! Looking forward to listening to this new addendum.

So I've listened to the series on Japan because of this thread, what else is must listen? Have really enjoyed it.

My 2 absolute favorite series of his:

Ghosts of the Ostfront
Series about the Eastern Front of WW2, where Nazi Germany invaded the Soviet Union. Absolutely mind boggling how horrific that front was, and how huge the scale of the fighting was.

Wrath of the Khans
Series about Genghis Khan and the Mongol Empire he created.

My 2 favorite single ("blitz") episodes of his, that happen to compliment each other very well:

Logical Insanity
Episode about the "logic" of dropping bombs on civilians during wartime.

The Destroyer of Worlds
Episode about the Nuclear Age, culminating in the Cuban Missile Crisis.
(This episode is still available for free)

Oct 26, 2017
Wow. A new Hardcore History Addendum. I wasn't expecting one so quickly.

Strangelove Whisperings
Description: In a world that can sometimes be obsessed with the current threat du jour, author Fred Kaplan reminds us that one of the all-time great threats to us all hasn't gone anywhere.

patientzero

Oct 25, 2017
It's not entirely in his wheelhouse, but Carlin looking into the 1918 flu, the first cholera outbreaks in India and Europe, or something similar would be great

pirata

Oct 25, 2017
I've been wondering too if he would do a special episode on previous pandemics. Good to know I'm not alone.

There's an early Hardcore History about the bubonic plague (and ending on a note of "we've only just gotten lucky that it hasn't happened lately") that I haven't been able to stop thinking about this whole time. Working up the courage to give it a re-listen for the first time in several years.

GS_Dan

Oct 30, 2017
There's an early Hardcore History about the bubonic plague (and ending on a note of "we've only just gotten lucky that it hasn't happened lately") that I haven't been able to stop thinking about this whole time. Working up the courage to give it a re-listen for the first time in several years.
Thanks for the heads up, bought that episode (and Wrath of the Khans while I was at it, time for a re-listen).
Adding these into Pocketcasts is way more tedious than it used to be.