• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Green

Oct 27, 2017
Huh. I actually like each one of those armours. Neat.

Looks good. Staying patient. I trust Joe a lot.

Ukumio

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Australia
I got the dates wrong by a year. I know 343 officially took over Halo midway into Halo:Reach, with the TU and the Defiant Map Pack.
Just want to jump in and say that 343i was formed in 2007 as a result of Bungie making the deal to leave Microsoft after Halo 3. 2007-2009 was spent focusing on building up a dedicated team to work on Halo titles. 2009 they released Halo Legends and Halo Waypoint (360 app). Since 2007 though, 343i was in charge of all transmedia propeties, most famously the Halo: Reach Legendary edition stuff like Halsey's Journal which help to fix all the retcons and inconsistancies Bungie introduced in that game.

So, yeah they didn't take over the Halo games until 2011 when Bungie officially left the franchise but they were in charge of everything else Halo from 2007.

90% of the Halo Audience will never read the books, putting such a focus on them for their games was a huge mistake.
If you want to use statistics than how about we consider the fact that on average on 25% of the playerbase actually completes the campaign. A majority of Halo players don't care about the campaign. Does that mean that 343i continuing to put so much effort into the Halo campaigns is a mistake?

EDIT: Decided to expand on the statistics I used in the second paragraph. These figures might be slightly out of date (from ~3 years ago) but still show the general trend I'm talking about.

Someone decided to track how many people had earned the Complete Halo campaign on Easy/Normal achievements and found the following results:
  • Halo 3: 22.49%​
  • Halo Wars: 27.36%​
  • Halo 3: ODST: 27.71%​
  • Halo Reach: 22.76%​
  • Halo CEA: 23.33%​
  • Halo 4: 36.22%​
  • Halo 5: 35.01%​
Anyway, just thought I'd back up the figure I used rather than use a made up number like you did. Here's a Reddit thread from around the same time that came up with similar numbers.

Last edited:

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
Glad they're taking their time and getting right; it was obvious to everyone that this wasn't just a simple lighting engine fix and much more work was necessary.

It bodes well that 343 recognized that and acted accordingly, even if the wait is long.

Neuromancer

Oct 27, 2017
Baltimore
Should just drop Xbox One at that point. Especially since it's going to be a GAAS with a long plan. Why be shackled to that hardware anymore?
Because Phil Spencer said:

You won't be forced into the next generation. We want every Xbox player to play all the new games from Xbox Game Studios. That's why Xbox Game Studios titles we release in the next couple of years—like Halo Infinite—will be available and play great on Xbox Series X and Xbox One. We won't force you to upgrade to Xbox Series X at launch to play Xbox exclusives.
news.xbox.com

You Are the Future of Gaming - Xbox Wire

Games are a source of joy, inspiration, and social connection. They have the power to bring us together, create empathy, and strengthen our social fabric. As we prepare for the next generation, our efforts to make gaming more inclusive, more immersive, more connected, and more social are as...

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
More than enough time to release H5 on PC and complete the collection.

Bigmac

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto
Damn, that'll be a long wait but at the same time, hopefully it'll give the dev team some breathing room to avoid any major crunch. Expecting a really polished and visually stunning final product now, can't wait!

Apr 30, 2019
Somehow my hype is back to critical levels. Clever bastards purposefully releasing a bad looking trailer just so they can drum up a comeback story.

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
hi-scorpion-punch-armor-coating-4k-39934e8051124b5ca6de7881098fe028.png

Damn son
I see 343 is also excited for Mass Effect.
GfRHNN7MirG9N7MPpDHc4H.jpg

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hope it's great, I'm still very very skeptical of them being able to hit the mark with this game.

OtterX

Mar 12, 2020
Totally cool with the delay. Take all the time you need 343! I've got too much to play as is. Maybe I'll actually have a Series X by then! 😃

Velikost

Oct 28, 2017
This game is going to slap

I don't care how rude this is.

343's handling of the Halo Franchise since taking over in 2010 has been a complete embarrassment, and the fact that Microsoft let their Flagship Franchise get to this state is very depressing. If Halo : Infinite is not a good game, the Halo franchise needs to be given a nice long break, and transition 343 Studio's onto other projects. Take the Halo franchise away from them because they clearly aren't capable of working on it. 500+ developers working on this title, a nearly infinite budget, like 3 companies outsourced and brought in to help create the game, and this is the state the Game is in despite having since 2016 to start working on this title.

Build a new studio from the ground up that are actually capable of producing a good Halo title.

Hoping for the best, as a massive Halo fan, but 343's track record this entire last decade doesn't leave me optimistic.

lmao imagine being this guy

Gassy_N0va

Oct 27, 2017
Don't really care that it got pushed back a year, I'd rather they get as much polish in there as they can. That article has me so hyped for this, but I'm still cautiously optimistic being its 343. This will be huge if they can knock it out of the park!

OsramTaleka

Nov 25, 2020
It almost sounds like what they're saying is they're taking the year to create the xsx/xss version on top of polishing the One version. I can't imagine all of those graphical enhancements will happen on the One.

Foffy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Will be interesting to learn what exactly has gone wrong with this project. Unless I'm mistaken, this was first marketed as a launch window game, and it's all but assured to be released a year after the system is out. If they can fix the situation, good on them, but from the outside this looks like a troubled game.

I wonder if they're just going to try and pack the end of next year with the usual slew of titles one originally expected for this year. People assumed Forza 8 would be releasing with the launch of the new system, and that doesn't even have an announced window of release.

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Oct 27, 2017
Those pics look WAY better than I expected. Another year of polish bodes well for this one.

Golding

Oct 25, 2017
I don't care how rude this is.

343's handling of the Halo Franchise since taking over in 2010 has been a complete embarrassment, and the fact that Microsoft let their Flagship Franchise get to this state is very depressing. If Halo : Infinite is not a good game, the Halo franchise needs to be given a nice long break, and transition 343 Studio's onto other projects. Take the Halo franchise away from them because they clearly aren't capable of working on it. 500+ developers working on this title, a nearly infinite budget, like 3 companies outsourced and brought in to help create the game, and this is the state the Game is in despite having since 2016 to start working on this title.

Build a new studio from the ground up that are actually capable of producing a good Halo title.

Hoping for the best, as a massive Halo fan, but 343's track record this entire last decade doesn't leave me optimistic.
ef851516d068ab140a519fc273cda053.jpg

MiDoZ

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This looks amazing!
And it's kind of weird how we hate crunch yet complain about delays.

Dr. Collins

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I understand that the narrative around this is "good" and "give developers more time" but fuck me man. I really wanted a new Halo game last month and this delay is devastating to the fan base that is already bruised from the way the franchise has been handed the past few years.

But.... wouldn't you rather have a great game than a mediocre one? If you really want Halo to return to form? Delaying is the only way to accomplish that. This decision to put quality first should be praised, for the very reasons you listed.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Sources were saying they were internally targeting early June, but they probably decided to give the team more time to avoid crunch.
Tbh I doubt it had to do with crunch (at least, not the deciding factor). My guess is the 20th anniversary + fall holiday spending window was determined to be a better marketing date than June.

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If you want to use statistics than how about we consider the fact that on average on 25% of the playerbase actually completes the campaign. A majority of Halo players only engage with the multiplayer. Does that mean that 343i continuing to put so much effort into the Halo campaigns is a mistake?
What is the bolded based on? Because if the majority of Halo players engage with multiplayer vs campaign, why aren't there millions of people playing multiplayer?

Are you extrapolating the low campaign completion rate to be indicative of total people playing the campaign? Because that's not a direct correlation.

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
On paper this is the Halo game I want. Open world physics sandbox with RPG elements.

Don't let me down, 343!

Dan L

Tried to PM someone for a tag
Oct 28, 2017
Regina, Saskatchewan
Good on them for taking a step back and giving it the time needed to get it right. This was a big decision and I am sure the pressure to get this out ASAP with the new console was heavy.
I am excited for this, and I think the new screenshots are looking awesome!

GalvoAg

Oct 30, 2017
Dallas
Damn hope Microsoft has something in between now and then, otherwise the first year on the Series X makes you think what was the point.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
In a way I like this 'cus it'll give me a big buffer between getting a PS5 and a Series X and maybe by then Series X will have a handful of exclusive games.

Ukumio

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Australia
What is the bolded based on? Because if the majority of Halo players engage with multiplayer vs campaign, why aren't there millions of people playing multiplayer?

Are you extrapolating the low campaign completion rate to be indicative of total people playing the campaign? Because that's not a direct correlation.
That's fair, you're right. Still, the people who actually care about the campaign (as in buy the game for the campaign) would complete it, showing a majority of people who have ever played the game don't care about Halo's story at all and are just there to shoot stuff. I've edited my original post to better reflect my point.

napk1ns

Nov 29, 2017
I'm excited. I thought I was off the Halo boat but I'm playing through H4 right now and... I'm really enjoying it? I think the Promethians don't provide enough hit detection but in general it's a solid Halo game. Not sure what people have kvetched about these past eight years.

shanew21

Nov 7, 2017
I'm excited. I thought I was off the Halo boat but I'm playing through H4 right now and... I'm really enjoying it? I think the Promethians don't provide enough hit detection but in general it's a solid Halo game. Not sure what people have kvetched about these past eight years.
H4 had a great campaign and awful multiplayer
H5 had an awful campaign and great multiplayer

Hopefully Infinite is where they finally nail it