• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Jun 10, 2018
As good as an update is, I wish they would have shown some Multiplayer gameplay. That would tide me over until the next drop of footage. At least we know the MP most likely features BR starts.

Oozer

Oct 25, 2017
My first week on the job, I played the entire Infinite campaign. Twice. I was, in a word, stunned—in the best possible way—by what the team had done. Infinite is, by far, the most expansive and vertical Halo world, ever. Why did the team do this? Because they understand that wonder and freedom are key to the Halo experience.

I could feel the classic Halo "30 seconds of fun" beating at the heart of Infinite's world. But I had never felt more powerful, more mobile, more in command of a rich set of tactical choices. This was the Halo we imagined back in 2000, finally come to life, after 20 years of technical and creative innovation.

You can't tell me this Joe. I was already excited enough. I had already maxed out the "hype meter." Stop trying to break it.

P.S. He's not kidding when he says "the Halo we imagined back in 2000." It was an open-world game before Microsoft bought them.

Oct 25, 2017
I honestly can't believe they actually got a full year to go back and fix some and polish stuff. Good on Microsoft can't really say much else

Sibylus

Oct 25, 2017
Good to hear it, I hope this generous stretch of time obviates the perceived need for crunch. Those screens are looking really solid.

I'm not sure why there's such odd obsession with the worn industrial aesthetic.

Halo 5:
Halo-5-Guardians-Beta-Empire-Screenshot-6.jpg

Infinite:
hi-multiplayer-map-1-1920x1080-700e17f6883447738bf25bc750b69d32.jpg

All of the screenshots outside of the two for the multiplayer maps look good. I'm just worried that the multiplayer maps are going to lack inspiration, as I felt Halo 5's maps (in terms of aesthetics and design) were downright terrible.
This map made me think of Reach's Countdown.

Halo-Reach-Countdown.jpg

halo_reach_map_countdown2.jpg

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
All this extra time is probably getting people from the coalition to consult with them lol

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I feared it, but not surprised the delay was a year long. If they bit the bullet on the delay, they were gonna make it worth it.

Governergrimm

Jun 25, 2019
I love most of the MS studios but have no faith in 343. That said. I hope they knock it out of the park. I want to eat a huge slice of crow.

Good luck 343, I want to be excited about Halo again

Stalker

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
You can't tell me this Joe. I was already excited enough. I had already maxed out the "hype meter." Stop trying to break it.

P.S. He's not kidding when he says "the Halo we imagined back in 2000." It was an open-world game before Microsoft bought them.
It was also an RTS

Melville85

Banned
Nov 15, 2020
The delay is a good idea. It'll be here in no time anyway. Plus it now releasing around the anniversary is appropriate.

I'll just have to play the other games again for the millionth time in preparation.

Sep 7, 2020
This looks amazing. I am all for getting better games and finished products. Here is to hoping they continue the momentum.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
jeeeeeeeeeesus that's tough

I want them to take take all the time in the world to get it right... but I still have my doubts the game will be anything special, even with this extra time.

prove me wrong pls

SpeedyBlueDude

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Nov 17, 2017
Provo, Utah
I don't care how rude this is.

343's handling of the Halo Franchise since taking over in 2010 has been a complete embarrassment, and the fact that Microsoft let their Flagship Franchise get to this state is very depressing. If Halo : Infinite is not a good game, the Halo franchise needs to be given a nice long break, and transition 343 Studio's onto other projects. Take the Halo franchise away from them because they clearly aren't capable of working on it. 500+ developers working on this title, a nearly infinite budget, like 3 companies outsourced and brought in to help create the game, and this is the state the Game is in despite having since 2016 to start working on this title.

Build a new studio from the ground up that are actually capable of producing a good Halo title.

Hoping for the best, as a massive Halo fan, but 343's track record this entire last decade doesn't leave me optimistic.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
Wow, a whole year. I did not expect that.

As disappointed as I am that the game is going to need a whole extra year of delay, and as... confused... as I was by the demo in July, I think Microsoft deserve a ton of credit for delaying their marquee title not just out of the launch window (which would've been a really painful decision), but giving the team an entire additional year to make sure it's the best it can be. That's bananas, and not something Microsoft would've done 7-8 years ago. Especially when you consider all of the contractual tie-in marketing that continued on without it.

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017
I would say just cut off Xbox One but it's probably too far along to even make a difference at this point.

While it's possible that they can't introduce any major design changes, they've still got a year left. If the team has to spend any time optimizing for One X|S, that's time saved.

It's easy for me to say this as I picked up XSX, but I'm all for dropping the current gen on this title. The main reason being that they've described it as a "platform", and even if MS wanted to commit to supporting One S with first party content 1-2 years in, Infinite could be getting updates well beyond that. Perhaps they could just make an announcement that future support for One X|S will be dropped?

Scruffy8642

Jan 24, 2020
Wow delayed a whole year when it was so close to just coming out as it was. Just shows how needlessly rushed they were.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This AMAZING news. In Joe Staten we trust.

Love everything I'm hearing about this and the screens how so much promise. Lighting is significantly better.

With the pandemic still around, delaying it was absolutely the right thing to do, all games being shipped are suffering from bugs, hopefully, by summer next year Devs will be working together indoors which should really streamline alot of the disruption WFH has brought.

SRTtoZ

Dec 8, 2017
While it's possible that they can't introduce any major design changes, they've still got a year left. If the team has to spend any time optimizing for One X|S, that's time saved.

It's easy for me to say this as I picked up XSX, but I'm all for dropping the current gen on this title. The main reason being that they've described it as a "platform", and even if MS wanted to commit to supporting One S with first party content 1-2 years in, Infinite could be getting updates well beyond that. Perhaps they could just make an announcement that future support for One X|S will be dropped?

I think the game would be a better product overall. Maybe support the One X and the Series S/X?

Typhoon20

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I just wanted to say those multiplayer screenshots look great until I saw the in-engine render BS again. It's not going to even remotely look like that huh.

Either way, I see a lot of improvements on the visual side. Any info on the story aspect ? I thought H5 had such bad writing but the villain dialogue at the end of Infinites demo was honestly worse than anything in Halo 5. That has me immensely worried. More so than the visuals. Honestly they need to improve every aspect from visuals to story to gameplay (gameplay felt 1 step in the right direction but not a big step imo, the grappler needs an upgrade, has to feel more fluent feels like the grappler is an arrow that never bends at all times when it should be fluid, gunplay could use some more oomph gameplay should take some ideas from Doom). I'm not expecting a legendary Halo game, since it's 343, but I just want a good Halo game with a kickass single player campaign. Hoping for a better multiplayer as well. 5 lacked everything as well aside from maybe gameplay mechanics. I hated the map (design), the whole industrial monotone aspect, felt so lifeless to me. As fun as the gameplay was. Hopefully they have a battle royale type of game mode because if there's 1 game that would be PERFECT for it it would be Halo, imagine hijacking all sorts of vehicles, flawless executions, the chaos it could cause, I'm just picturing a large battlefield with banshees, warthogs, pelicans, tanks with a large group of soldiers pffffff...a well executed Halo BR game like this could be BEAUTIFUL.

Lightning

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
Sounds like Destiny's shader system for the "coatings".

And that is 10000% perfect and amazing to hear. Can't wait to see how decked out and obnoxious I can make my MP player look ahaha.

Great job everyone, just don't overdetail the Forerunner environments now and we'll be set <3

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017
Missed this news. I hate gamers and warriors man. I don't care how it looked I could be playing that multiplayer now. Fuck

If we take what this interview is saying at face value, it sounds like the team was satisfied with the way the game felt, but they knew they weren't where they wanted to be in terms of visuals. We don't know if the delay discussion was happening prior to July, but a recent interview with Phil (I forgot which one), kind of alludes to that having been possible.

I think the game would be a better product overall. Maybe support the One X and the Series S/X?

It just seems too messy to make that split, but who knows?

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
I don't care how rude this is.

343's handling of the Halo Franchise since taking over in 2010 has been a complete embarrassment, and the fact that Microsoft let their Flagship Franchise get to this state is very depressing. If Halo : Infinite is not a good game, the Halo franchise needs to be given a nice long break, and transition 343 Studio's onto other projects. Take the Halo franchise away from them because they clearly aren't capable of working on it. 500+ developers working on this title, a nearly infinite budget, like 3 companies outsourced and brought in to help create the game, and this is the state the Game is in despite having since 2016 to start working on this title.

Build a new studio from the ground up that are actually capable of producing a good Halo title.

Hoping for the best, as a massive Halo fan, but 343's track record this entire last decade doesn't leave me optimistic.

In fairness, 343 were handed a pretty difficult situation. They were a new studio handed a massive franchise with a pre-existing audience that had just had it's epic conclusion - the main macguffin neutralized, the main antagonists broken and scattered - and told to make more. And they were doing so at a time of huge underinvestment in Microsoft's first-party studios, when Halo largely had to make it's ~3 year cadence as a holiday tentpole. No slowing the train down for this nascent studio to take some extra time to figure out what to do with this franchise.

Mistakes were most certainly made - most notably with the woeful launch state of the original MCC - but I don't envy that studio the hand they were dealt.

And we don't know the budget for Infinite. The 500 million dollar figure was, AFAIK, from a single source that was never confirmed to be reliable.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is so encouraging to hear:

This discussion boiled down to one fundamental truth: we needed more time to do things right. That included pushing hard in the Fall, giving the team time to recharge over the Holidays, and then coming back in January to finish the game at a healthy pace.

Fawz

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
That was a very good end of year blog, lots of real details and pertinent screenshots. Overall they seem to have a pretty good plan and I'm personally onboard with coatings, though I know they won't be able to help themselves and will have cosmetics that ruin the visual atmosphere of the game in Multiplayer. I hope they can be disabled...

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Yeah I understand it's pocket change for Microsoft but I was just curious what the cost of delays are for companies
Well, other than the standard costs of development, which really is just employee, office and licencing costs. A delay on a product has costs in the form of renegotiating and restarting entire PR and Marketing Campaigns.

For a big cultureal icon title like Halo, Microsoft goes absolutely nuts with that stuff. They plaster the brand everywhere and in everything. So all that stuff that you see now with the logo on pizza pops, Slurpee cups, mega blocks, billboards, commercials, ads, ect. All that stuff will have to be restarted. Which will cost Microsoft a small fortune.

Of course, thankfully for Microsoft. Halo makes a Metric fuck tonne of money between game sales, the sales of its expanded media, and licencing. Which is the reason why Microsoft goes insane for Halo marketing.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
With the 20th anniversary right there this shouldn't really be a surprise. I just hope it's good.

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
Judging by the screens, is lighting the only difference? Alex from DF redeemed? Looks so much better.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
I was hoping for early 2021, but if the visuals get significantly revamped then I'm ok with it! I'm sure there will be plenty of games to hold me over until then.