• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Jan 4, 2018
If the art direction is a mix of Halo 2 Anniversary with Halo: CE and Halo 2 + Spartan armors with the Reach aethestic like these screenshots suggest, it will be damn great.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
"it's just video games bro"

Uhhh more like it's a lot of people's main hobby so of course they're gonna be passionate and emotional about them. Sorry!

There are tons of new games and thousands of already released games you can play though. I've never understood why people get upset about delays when there is such a massive amount of content available.

Convasse

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA, USA
I and others called Fall 2021 as soon as the delay was announced. It just made sense. With Staten on board, it sounds like they've got a plan to land the ship and all the focus on the graphics rendering indicates that homies knew the game wasn't going to turn heads visually, but had to make some sort of presentation.

That said, YOOOO @ those armor renders. HOT HOT HOT. The styling and aesthetics are a gorgeous interpretation of the Reach customization. My hype is ticking upwards again.

DrowsyJungle

Oct 25, 2017
Man JS just from a verbage/statement point of view already seems like he's going to be a big improvement from previous management.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Wow, a full year delay was the worst case scenario in mind and yet, here we are. This is absolutely massive. I really don't even know what else to say.

PsyDec

Jun 3, 2019
Call me impatient and entitled but I'm certainly agitated at having to wait six years for the next mainline Halo game. In that timeframe they shipped both Halo 4 and 5. And I'm not faithful that this super long development means it's gonna be a great and big and mindblowing game. It just screams of a messy development hell to me.

Or it screams: developing a new engine, developing the most ambitious Halo game in that engine, developing the most ambitious Halo game in that engine for 4 consoles and doing all of this in a pandemic.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
didnt expect screens, even if they amounted to mostly engine renders and a mostly empty MP map. still, i love the halo 3-esque design.

the update sounded great, but we'll see. definitely not hyping myself up for a visual make over.

a little disappointed for fall 2021, but if it makes the game that much better its a good thing.

"We can't wait for you to join us on the Halo Infinite adventure, first with Insider flighting later next year" This sounds like flighting may not begin till late spring/summer, at the earliest.

super excited for this and hopefully this is the start of actually beginning to truly reveal the game.

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020
I need to see the new and improved Craig whenever a new trailer launches especially considering how much they've acknowledged the meme

javiergame4

Oct 27, 2017
I'm happy the memes and Craig helped delay this game. This game needed a delay and not be rushed. Excited for the visual fidelity of it.

Aswitch

"This guy are sick"
Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Man a lot of the media for sure called it. The screenshots do look wayy better than the summer trailer for sure. I'm starting to believe this infinite curse is real man. Looks like we're going to be holding on to those promotional DLC codes for a good while. Hurts, but take your time 343.

Floex

Oct 27, 2017
This better look shit hot then by the time it rolls round.

But glad they're taking their time.

nampad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
One year delay after it was a planned launch game is tough but it is the right decision I guess.

We all saw that it needed quite a bit of work to turn out well and personally I did not expect them to be able to pull that off in just half a year. I just can't believe that they had to decide this so shortly before launch.

Wonder what will happen if the game is still not a success.

Greent4

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Charlotte, NC
hi-scorpion-punch-armor-coating-4k-39934e8051124b5ca6de7881098fe028.png

Damn son
Sucks to have to wait till fall 2021
But damn this looks good!!!!!

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
I'm still baffled the first multiplayer map they show is another UNSC enclosed space.

In a game where you are on a God damn Halo ring.

The models look great and I'm glad the SPNKR is back, or at least more prominent than the green tube.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The industrial look isn't my favourite, I don't know why that is but looks better than Halo 5 there which is more soft and Doom art like.

JFoul

Oct 25, 2017
I'm fine with all of this, just give us a long MP Beta/Flight.

It would have been nice to have a fully polished game at launch in 2020, but this will now come out around the 20th anniversary and consoles should be widely available next Holiday season.

Oct 27, 2017
Wow a whole year? Take your time but that's intense.

i would guess this and Forza Motorsport are their marquee holiday 21 titles

really hope they have some first party games before then, maybe TGA will have a reveal

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
So what's the next big Xbox game between now and fall 2021?
Here are my guesses for Microsoft's 2021 lineup:
  • Psychonauts 2. Microsoft is publishing it, but it will also be releasing on PS4. Series X seems to be the only next-gen console though.
  • Flight Sim will be coming to console. Not a new game, but I expect it will be a graphical showcase.
  • As Dusk Falls is likely a 2021 game.
  • Forza Horizon 5 is rumored to be out in 2021. Given the longer than usual development time, I wouldn't be surprised if this appears earlier in the year.
  • The Bethesda deal will be closed by the end of the first half of the year. Given how many times Starfield has been mentioned by Microsoft, I expect it to be a big game for them in 2021.
Edit: Halo Infinite will be getting a beta next year, too.

Milk

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
There are tons of new games and thousands of already released games you can play though. I've never understood why people get upset about delays when there is such a massive amount of content available.
You've really 'never understood' getting upset at delays? It's that hard to understand?

It doesn't matter how many games come out in a year. If someone's hungry for the next Halo/Zelda/Last of Us/etc specifically then obviously a delay stings. Just because I can go buy some other game doesn't mean my Halo hunger is sated.

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
I'm fine with all of this, just give us a long MP Beta/Flight.

It would have been nice to have a fully polished game at launch in 2020, but this will now come out around the 20th anniversary and consoles should be widely available next Holiday season.
Flighting is coming later this year they said :)

Sax

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
That's longer than I expected but based on the showings it had it does sound about right for the amount of work it really needs.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
I wonder how much the lockdowns factored into not only the initial showing, but the timeline for the delay.

No need to rush the overhaul if no console can stay on shelves for more than 5 seconds for the next few months

ChaosXVI

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, a full year delay is pretty bonkers, but MS knows they absolutely have to crush it with this one if Halo is going to continue to be the face of the brand. I believe that they'll pull it off.

Oct 27, 2017
There absolutely will be games between now and halo infinite.
Book it.
As for the delay, absolutely the right choice. Fall was almost a certainty.
Give it time.
BOTW was delayed almost 2 years and look at that, GOTG.

ZeroCDR

"This guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Planning to get an X next Black Friday was the right call, gonna save and throw all my MS rewards points at a cool bundle hopefully.

Tanner

Oct 25, 2017
I am down for the delay, I love the screens they showed. Next Fall is already stacking up to be stacked FPS wise so I hope they come out ready to impress (and I am sure that they!).

Quample

Dec 23, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
The map looks good...the armor in those 2 screenshots not so much. The armor angles/textures there look no better than H5 to me. The armors looks great in those showcase shots though.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
A total overhaul in one year's time sends up instant red flags. I would like to hope that there's no crunch, but we all know there will be.
It's not a total overhaul, or at least that's not the vibe I got from the post. They are just taking the time to better optimize and better utilize the next generation systems for a much higher image quality and presentation. And 343 has actually been pretty transparent about not crunching their employees, so I would expect that to continue being the reality. Besides, the one year delay isn't really that absurd when considering that Covid definitely has slowed down production and lead to the delay in part. The Witcher 3 was delayed from Q3 2014 to May 2015 in a non-Covid world and still turned out nearly universally beloved. Infinite will likely be fine

If... it's for the better. But it has to be spectacular upon release.

And I wonder what kind of Craig achievement there will be.
I expect the Craig achievement to be called "There is no need to be upset" that will be won for killing a certain number of Brutes or something. Probably wrong, but that's my guess

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
MP screenshot and the armor renders looks pretty great imo.

Cynical side of me says they showed a MP map because as they touched on in the post, MP maps are allowed to have higher fidelity due to baked lighting and interior corridors, etc. It's much more difficult to get a universally "wow"ing look with global illumination and open world design, so it was safer to show a map with higher fidelity. Still, I think the campaign portion will be significantly improved especially with the polish like asset streaming and pop-ins being fixed up.