• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

calibos

Dec 13, 2017
Hell yeah!

Personally, this game needs a year of polish. It's bold of MS to allow this, but it's necessary. The SeriesX needs a year of maturity as well so for me this is all good news.

Hopefully this helps us get the full fledged Halo we have all been craving. I was very satisfied with 5 and playing 4 recently has been a blast with it's more modern flare so color me excited for this one with extra polish.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
Reading the article, it sure seems like it was never a real possibility that this was ever going to launch with the Series S|X.

yeah, i got that sense too. like, i'm sure the gameplay reveal feedback was eye opening to some extent, but i don't think this was making launch until craig memes as the narrative seems to be.

Jan 4, 2018
September would be a good month to release it. Same month as Halo 3, ODST and Reach. Ahead of the COD-Battlefield 6 competition in October / November.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
All the other free 2 play games. It's going to be hard for Halo to gain that market share again.

Halo MP being free to play and launching on PC concurrently with console and the campaign being part of Xbox Gamepass will definitely lead to it being a pretty successful game in terms of player base I feel. As the long as the game is high quality enough and the influencers are paid enough, the game will do great.

Plus nostalgia for the Halo brand will do a lot as well if the word of mouth is good

SunBroDave

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
Hell yeah, delay that shit until next Fall and really swing for the fences. Then - no joke, I swear - delay it once more from Fall 2021 to like February 2022 and polish the shit out of it.

Xbox Live Mike

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
USA
Disappointing but if the game ends up being great it will be worth it. Getting people to Play free Halo Multiplayer is going to be an uphill battle VS Fortnite, Apex Legends, and COD Warzone. So the multiplayer needs to be amazing if they plan to win as an GAAS

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
I was not expecting such a long delay but if this is their swan song, give them the time.
Also, there were some great stuff in the update and I love the direction they are taking in almost everything.

My real question is... IS IT STILL RELEASING ON XBOX ONE? In Fall 2021...???? I hope they just get a different team to basically do the Xbox One port and go full on with the Series X-PC.

What other big games have released on previous generation consoles a year after release? Except Fifa.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad, they really need to take their time here. Maybe they'll surprise us and drop MP early.

Gwyn

Oct 25, 2017
Please drop xbox one support, pc + series X|S is enough.
2021 still making games for garbo jaguar cpu...insanity

OP
OP
digitalrelic

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
they dont have one. I have a lot of feelings about this so i will list them.

1.) microsoft royally fucked up the launch of their new console by failing to put out any notable new first party content with it that takes advantage
Of it. Their first party prospects for the first half of 2021 are barren as well, just a total fuck up from top to bottom. They should be embarrassed.

2.) 343 might need some re management after having 5 years to make a game and needing an entire extra one after they miss their console launch. There are still fucking cans of monster out there with master chief on them and giant halo
Banners all over my local wawa.

3.) as always, console launches and launch years are just barren as shit. Risk you take as an early adopter

4.) covid is a thing that also didnt help

5.) despite my incredible frustration at microsoft and 343...this was still the right move, but how the fuck do you go from we will
Be out in a few months to we will be out in entire year in the span of like a month? Fucking embarrassing.

6.) calming down...the delay was the right move. This game needs to hit it out of the park especially now. I love how open they are being with the community in this blog post and i hope that openness continues into next year.

7.) i hope there are multiple betas next year to refine the multiplayer until launch.

8.) making games is hard, yeah im really fucking frustrated as a consumer, but i know this delay was for the right reason and I hope they get it right. And i hope those employees arent worked to death

9.) i hope phil spencer comes out and discusses the current dirth of new games. An acknowledgement of it at least would make me feel better
this is all kinds of cringe

dimb

Oct 25, 2017
In the screen that's posted it's kind of bad to just blow up that Axys logo and apply it as a decal over that entryway. The surface doesn't actually support it so it's obvious how sloppy its application is. I don't know if this is indicative of map design philosophy or a consequence of designing for 4k, but that area could easily have some kind of indicator or logo for the room instead of having tiny low level Team Fortress style signage over the door.

KrAzEd

Oct 27, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
With all the changes happening, maybe just do 2022. Halo needs a big win.

Where did you read that a lot of changes are happening? Joe said he played through the campaign twice his first week back in August and that he loved it. This isn't an overhaul of the campaign or anything like that, this is a totally refinement of a new engine that spring 2021 would have been too close to make happen. Take all the time you guys need, 20th anniversary makes the most sense anyway

Poldino

Oct 27, 2020
So a whole year? Not a good news, the game must have been in a terrible state for such a drastic delay

May 17, 2018
I can't believe they were really still trying to sell us this game just 4 months ago.

Thank god the community reacted the way it did.

pappacone

Jan 10, 2020
I was not expecting such a long delay but if this is their swan song, give them the time.
Also, there were some great stuff in the update and I love the direction they are taking in almost everything.

My real question is... IS IT STILL RELEASING ON XBOX ONE? In Fall 2021...???? I hope they just get a different team to basically do the Xbox One port and go full on with the Series X-PC.

What other big games have released on previous generation consoles a year after release? Except Fifa.
quite a bit, AC Rogue, Dragon Age Inquisition, Persona 5, Metal gear Solid 5 are the first I remember

Gwyn

Oct 25, 2017
It is going to be very interesting to see how cross-gen development affects God of War: Ragnarok (LOL), Horizon II: Forbidden West, and Halo Infinite in 2021.

I wouldn't worry that much for god of war or horizon tbh. Single player only games. But for halo they want to have it all.
Split screen + 60 fps and to run that shit on jaguar yea good luck.

Oct 25, 2017
I am actually pretty glad about the delay to fall 2021
I don't mind it, the more time the better really
I just want it to be damn good and pretty too
and if I have to wait for that to happen, cool
I'd much rather that, than it be rushed out before it's ready
And considering it got delayed basically a whole year, if it had come out in 2020 it clearly would have been an underbaked sloppy mess
take yer tiiiiimmmeee

and as someone who does NOT currently own a series S or X
feel free to drop support for last gen consoles if it benefits the game
I just want it to be the best it can be
if that means i gotta pick up a new series next year, okay, do what you gotta do

and if they did something funny like make campaign next-gen only but free multiplayer multiplat, that'd also be okay
it's happened before

Mdot

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like they took the criticism to heart and I'm glad MS is giving them the time to fix/finish it. Lots of good updates in there and detail on what was missing with the July demo, what's improved since then, what they knew sucked (no clue how this would have launched this year based on how they address it in this article).

New screens look solid and the armor/Spartan models specifically look better.

Confirmation of an Insider flight, which I counted for dead, is great and re-confirmation of no MP loot boxes is reassuring.

TripleBee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
Vancouver
Wow. A full year of basically polish and fine tuning. Probably unprecedented for a AAA game. In a way this makes me more excited.

Ikarus

Oct 30, 2017
Take all the time you need. That said, I do wish the disclaimer text read "in-engine on Xbox Series X". How hard is it to actually show what it will look like on hardware?

monketron

Oct 27, 2017
I can't wait in a few years to read the long-read articles on what went on behind the scenes during the development of this game.

dep9000

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
Awesome! 2021 is stacked.

I'm currently playing through halo 3 right now for the first time and loving it! It's been too long since I've played a halo game. Really excited for infinite!!!

SRTtoZ

Dec 8, 2017
I would say just cut off Xbox One but it's probably too far along to even make a difference at this point.

Ukumio

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Australia
Staten: "My first week on the job, I played the entire Infinite campaign. Twice. I was, in a word, stunned—in the best possible way—by what the team had done. Infinite is, by far, the most expansive and vertical Halo world, ever. Why did the team do this? Because they understand that wonder and freedom are key to the Halo experience."

So the campaign was definitely done.
Playable does not mean done. That's not the same thing. It wasn't in a shippable state (even by the standards they had before July).

alienNnja

Nov 4, 2017
Art & Graphics Update:

New Multiplayer Screenshots:

hi-multiplayer-map-1-4k-03a0b43b63454dc6affd23b8119a86b0.png

hi-multiplayer-map-2-4k-9acaa62eec3a434faedfbd0af67dd93a.png

Many more details here:

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/news/inside-infinite-december-2020

DanielG123

Jul 14, 2020
Yep, fantastic read and amazing content. 343 seems focused and stuck in to really nail Infinite, and I have confidence that they'll do so.

Spasm

Nov 16, 2017
As a massive Halo fan since CE... Good. That should be plenty of time to get it right. And if they don't? Well, I think it's finally do or die for 343i.

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
Fall/Winter 2021 was always going to be the case once they delayed it. If you're pushing the game out past the console launch window and holiday 2020 then you mind as all just give the game and devs time to breathe. A full year delay just makes sense.

watdaeff4

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hope it turns out good. Also from a sales standpoint it actually benefits MS that it will come out next Holiday season as opposed to this one as consoles will/should be more plentiful for people to obtain. (not handwaving the development issues this game has had, but just trying to be a glass-half full type of guy)