Status
Not open for further replies.

Azai

Jun 10, 2020
Im not getting too hyped. GTA5s second Trailer was released over a year after the first trailer and the first gameplay was shown 7-8 months after that.
The game came out like 2 years after the first trailer.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Just rewatching the GTAV reveal trailer again i can't believe that was so long ago they only uploaded it in 720p.

Bengraven

Powered by Friendship™
Oct 26, 2017
Florida
You can look at their previous first trailers to get a good idea of what to expect

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M80K51DosFo

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkkoHAzjnUs

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmA6MrX81z4

So basically a minute to a minute and a half. As JonCha said, they use the first trailer for a game to set the vibe.

I've been watching those again to get myself hyped up and now I really really want to play RDR2 and GTAV again.

I demand that this game have a weather system that actually depicts the weather patterns of South Florida!

a8ed3026b2977ed159a029cb16733957.thumb.jpg.d2efd055206de607652d354f456aab62.jpg

Also, it should also feature heavy rain one one side of the street and blinding sunshine on the other side of the same street!

As someone who feels like it doesn't rain enough in games, I'm down for this. Let it rain every five fucking minutes.

And sometimes rain when the sun is out. I can't wait for all the non-Floridians to be like "the game is bugged, it's raining but the sun is shining".

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
You can look at their previous first trailers to get a good idea of what to expect

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M80K51DosFo

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkkoHAzjnUs

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmA6MrX81z4

So basically a minute to a minute and a half. As JonCha said, they use the first trailer for a game to set the vibe.

When did Rockstar releases become a huge event. Wasn't really on forums when GTA 4 came out or RDR, were those gigantic releases?

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
When did Rockstar releases become a huge event. Wasn't really on forums when GTA 4 came out or RDR, were those gigantic releases?

They were still a big deal, but that was the last time that they ever allowed someone else to announce one of their games. After that they shifted into their current event format where they announce it on their own and then pick whatever date they want to show the game. I think it was also the last time they had any kind of presence at E3 aside from the GTAV PS4 trailer at E3 2014.

BraXzy

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Hype that there's a date and time now so we don't have to specilate!

Sales wise could this game ever feasibly top GTA V in sales? It feels like the release of that game was perfectly placed to maximise a huge last gen install base then remaster on the PS4/X1 gen and PC for double or triple dipping.

monketron

Oct 27, 2017
Some company, somewhere had a reveal planned for Tuesday and has spent the last 24 hours panicking like hell.

The Benz

Oct 27, 2017
I don't particularly remember there being much hype for RDR in 2010. At least among casual gamers of the time. It sort of caught most people by surprise. Super anecdotal but I went to the midnight launch and remember there basically being no one there.

I feel like the GTA V reveal actually wasn't THAT big at the time either, at least outside of places like this. 2011 was a strange time because GTA IV was pretty universally hated for being "overrated" and "too serious", Max Payne 3 was shit on relentlessly for not looking like the old games, and L.A. Noire was considered boring by quite a number of people. You'd go into any comment section for an article pertaining to Rockstar and there'd be people saying their games are too serious now. There should honestly be a retrospective on just how much fans have 180'd on them, because it seems like only recently people have come around to appreciating what those games accomplished.

Last edited:

Ariakon44

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2020

I think when Vice City came out. GTAIII was the first of their games to absolutely explode, then I distinctly remember Vice City and San Andreas being huge deals at the time. Not THIS big, obviously, but still huge.

Oct 31, 2017
They've been extremely huge releases since 2002 and Vice City imo. And Rockstar has historically marched to the beat of their own drum.

Historically, they never really bothered with E3, which for the longest time was the biggest platform for video game announcements (aside from the infamous Peter Moore "IV tattoo" announcement about GTA IV releasing on 360 the same day as PS3).

They've just been getting bigger and bigger in terms of "cultural events". And with GTA V being the most profitable piece of media ever, that means this one's even bigger than any yet.
I feel like the GTA V reveal actually wasn't THAT big at the time either, at least outside of places like this. 2011 was a strange time because GTA IV was pretty universally hated for being "overrated" and "too serious", Max Payne 3 was shit on relentlessly for not looking like the old games, and L.A. Noire was considered boring by quite a number of people. You'd go into any comment section for an article pertaining to Rockstar and there'd be people saying their games are too serious now. There should honestly be a retrospective on just how much fans have 180'd on them, because it seems like only recently people have come around to appreciating what those games accomplished.
I've always thought the loud complainers towards Rockstar from IV onward were people whose opinions aren't worth taking seriously honestly.

The Argus

Oct 28, 2017

Vice City was huge in terms of preorder lines. San Andreas even bigger. Though those were before proper internet trailers, all the hype was from magazines, GameFAQe, and word of mouth.

I would say IV was the first big break the internet one. There was a countdown clock that went "BEEP BOOP" and someone in NYC City Hall (it's been a minute, Bloomberg?) posted a press article about it being detrimental to the city before the trailer even launched.

Milk

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Time to see if I'll have to buy a Series X or PS5 LOL. If no PC at launch then I'll absolutely buy a console for this game.

The 28th Hour

Alt Account
Banned
May 27, 2023
I mean Rockstar struck gold with GTA 3 and never looked back

its easily the most influential game of the 21st century

Scotland's greatest export

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017

Pretty much since Vice City proved GTA III wasn't just a fluke.

San Andreas, IV and V were all absolutely enormous. My school was empty on launch day for all three, and now I'm hearing kids are skipping school on Tuesday just to watch the GTA6 trailer. I approve of this absolute degenerate behavior.

Patriiick

Oct 31, 2018
Grimsby, GB
After recently dipping back into RDR2 to finish the epilogue, I'm really looking forward to seeing a GTA with more up-to-date graphics.

mr_Balli

May 11, 2021
Beyond hyped for this! It's finally time for the next GTA.
This first trailer would most probably show off the setting and atmosphere of the game.

Red Kong XIX

Oct 11, 2020
Im not getting too hyped. GTA5s second Trailer was released over a year after the first trailer and the first gameplay was shown 7-8 months after that.
The game came out like 2 years after the first trailer.
They had to develop a huge game like GTA V for the PS3/360 though.

Pretty sure Rockstar internally aims for a late 2024 release date for GTA VI. And the chances that they actually deliver on that are much better this time.

harz-marz

Oct 28, 2017
Hype that there's a date and time now so we don't have to specilate!

Sales wise could this game ever feasibly top GTA V in sales? It feels like the release of that game was perfectly placed to maximise a huge last gen install base then remaster on the PS4/X1 gen and PC for double or triple dipping.
I agree here. This game will sell crazy numbers but I don't think it will sell as many as V.

ekim

Oct 26, 2017
I'm going out on a limb here (actually it's wishful thinking) but if I had to guess, this will have a shorter announcement to release timeframe than V or RDR2 (ignoring all the delays). Maybe like Fallout 4.

Red Kong XIX

Oct 11, 2020
I'm going out on a limb here (actually it's wishful thinking) but if I had to guess, this will have a shorter announcement to release timeframe than V or RDR2 (ignoring all the delays). Maybe like Fallout 4.
I'm in the Team 1 year marketing cycle like RDR2 just without the delays this time

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
It's the most liked gaming tweet ever in less than 24 hours

instantly iconic and I'm not surprised at everyone in the industry doing their own parody version

Yan

Oct 29, 2017
Will the missions let you be creative in how to complete them again? I feel they stripped away the freedom to play around with different solutions compared to the older games.

speiky

"This guy are sick" says the Prophet of Truth
Oct 28, 2017
Trailer isn't even out and I'm already worried about console performance…

sappyday

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Will the missions let you be creative in how to complete them again? I feel they stripped away the freedom to play around with different solutions compared to the older games.
Really? "All we had to do is follow the damn train CJ" is the epitome of restricted mission design

Status
Not open for further replies.