El Manco

Oct 28, 2017
700k physical during pandemic with 80k hardware is very good. Let's say 800-850 with digital in Japan. It's « only » 1.5 millions in the rest of the world for 2.3 millions total. Should end the first week at 3-3.5 millions. Hope it does so good to warrant the next one fast
Gamstat counts players. Famitsu numbers are sales to customers. And probably Square will announce shipped units. All these are different.

Wheatly

Nov 18, 2017
It's not really a JRPG, though. Also, I feel like people are conveniently forgetting about Dragon Quest and Persona with statements like this.

How is this not a jRPG?

Also don't assume, I've played pretty much every jRPG that has come out including DQ and Persona and they both don't hold a candle to this for me

Lockheartilly9799

Corrupted by Vengeance
Nov 23, 2017
Not too shabby. I hope it ends up outselling Final Fantasy XV because while VIIR had some padding and texture issues, it's still an overall phenomenal video game and deserves great sales.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
I think there should be a mix like the older FF games were or e.g. Witcher 2 zones. FFVIIR feels so claustrophobic at times with its ultra-narrow corridors and constant loading times disguised as wall squeezes (up to Ch8 so don't know if that changes later). I don't want a FFXV open-world but please give me the illusion of a larger world that I can explore even if the game is linear.
That's just how this game was always gonna be. The Midgar intro is super dense. Even in the original it takes you all around Midgar, constantly pushing you to the next story bit through different routes in some different part of town. Now this remake has to do that in somewhat more believable, connected & seamless a manner. That simply translates to this kind of more linear experience. The somewhat claustrophobic feel fits the context in a lot of cases. The shantytowns of the slums, sewers, train tunnels & such wouldn't exactly be super spacious IRL either, so it fits that these places would be a bit on the narrow side. I think the scale of the environments makes locales oftem feel a bit bigger than they are, even if the routes through them are fairly linear. Like, I felt that segments like the aftermath of the Bombing mission gave a decent feeling of upper plate town streets, even if you didn't have dozens of city blocks to freely run through but got funneled through specific roads. And some locales have just enough branching paths & room to explore to make them less claustrophobic. It's only been a few points in the game where it felt too limiting (worst being after escaping the church and traversing through the rooftops of the abandoned district with Aeris).

It's not really a JRPG, though. Also, I feel like people are conveniently forgetting about Dragon Quest and Persona with statements like this.
Lol, how is this not a JRPG? JRPG is an (big) umbrella term for all RPGs made in Japan and spans from all the turn-based waifu simulators & pedo bait animu games to more action-y ones like Kingdom Hearts, FFVII Remake and Dark Souls.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
Lol, how is this not a JRPG? JRPG is an (big) umbrella term for all RPGs made in Japan and spans from all the turn-based waifu simulators & pedo bait animu games to more action-y ones like Kingdom Hearts, FFVII Remake and Dark Souls.
"Waifu simulators and pedo bait". Well ok then. It doesn't even seem like you want to have a discussion at all.

Deleted member 9584

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I love FF7 Remake and the whole story, especially the ending, blew my mind.

FF7R is barely an RPG, though. I personally don't even categorize it as an RPG.

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
The remake is still pretty turn-based despite the emphasis on action, I would still qualify it as an RPG.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
"Waifu simulators and pedo bait". Well ok then. It doesn't even seem like you want to have a discussion at all.
I mean, when everything from Nintendo owned Pokemons & Fire Emblems to a bit more niche Trails/Kiseki & Persona games have issues with sexing up minors and/or making female characters into waifus (or sex objects), I don't think that's an inaccurate description of a big portion of JRPGs nowadays, sadly.

Dr Pears

Sep 9, 2018
Still waiting for copies to arrive in my small city. I'm sure a lot of places in the world is still waiting for their copy too.

GabriocheXD

May 27, 2019
Have a hard time believing that. I've never seen so many people on my friendlist play the same game at the same time, not even Spiderman, GoW or MonHun.

Swift_Gamer

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
I think there should be a mix like the older FF games were or e.g. Witcher 2 zones. FFVIIR feels so claustrophobic at times with its ultra-narrow corridors and constant loading times disguised as wall squeezes (up to Ch8 so don't know if that changes later). I don't want a FFXV open-world but please give me the illusion of a larger world that I can explore even if the game is linear.
Oh they can make open areas, ffxii is the best when it comes to level design for me. I just don't want a non linear open world FF. The game should be linear with open areas and towns, but yes, linear. And please note, the wall squeezes and walking aren't necessarily disguising load times, they can be deliberate for scene pacing and whatnot.

Lobster Roll

Sep 24, 2019
It's clearly a JRPG. Just like kingdom hearts is a JRPG and the Ys series also is.
See, I don't know. It's definitely an interesting discussion because the genre has taken on an amorphous shape of extreme breadth. If somebody came to me and said "I'm in the mood for a JRPG", I don't think I'd be suggesting FFVIIR. I think it's very much character-action forward with RPG elements, and not the inverse. That's just my take on it. You're free to disagree but I don't think it's "clearly" a JRPG.

Oct 25, 2017
Racoon City
It's a character action game with RPG elements. It's not a straight RPG though.

Wait till you discover Star Ocean and Tales of series combat…

j doesn't stand for turn based combat in Japan.

Yea it's always baffled me how jRPG got reduced to simply "turn based combat" when so many cRPGs were/are also turn based lol. Not to mention it disqualifies series like Tales Of and Star Ocean. Like character creation versus playing a predetermined character. Tightly controlled narrative, Youthful cast being the heroes versus western RPGs more grizzled, life lived cast help differentiate the two alongside the biggest one...jRPGs being made by Japanese developers in Japan bringing their Japanese perspective to the game that they worked on alongside their Japanese coworkers speaking Japanese to each other.

If being turn based is all it takes to be an jRPG then Baulder's Gate, Icewind Dale, Neverwinter Nights, etc are jRPGs bc hey... turn based lol
See, I don't know. It's definitely an interesting discussion because the genre has taken on an amorphous shape of extreme breadth. If somebody came to me and said "I'm in the mood for a JRPG", I don't think I'd be suggesting FFVIIR. I think it's very much character-action forward with RPG elements, and not the inverse. That's just my take on it. You're free to disagree but I don't think it's "clearly" a JRPG.

Sooooo Tales of and Star Ocean series aren't jRPGs?

Oct 30, 2017
It's a character action game with RPG elements. It's not a straight RPG though.
That's just how this game was always gonna be. The Midgar intro is super dense. Even in the original it takes you all around Midgar, constantly pushing you to the next story bit through different routes in some different part of town. Now this remake has to do that in somewhat more believable, connected & seamless a manner. That simply translates to this kind of more linear experience. The somewhat claustrophobic feel fits the context in a lot of cases. The shantytowns of the slums, sewers, train tunnels & such wouldn't exactly be super spacious IRL either, so it fits that these places would be a bit on the narrow side. I think the scale of the environments makes locales oftem feel a bit bigger than they are, even if the routes through them are fairly linear. Like, I felt that segments like the aftermath of the Bombing mission gave a decent feeling of upper plate town streets, even if you didn't have dozens of city blocks to freely run through but got funneled through specific roads. And some locales have just enough branching paths & room to explore to make them less claustrophobic. It's only been a few points in the game where it felt too limiting (worst being after escaping the church and traversing through the rooftops of the abandoned district with Aeris).

I love FF7 Remake and the whole story, especially the ending, blew my mind.

FF7R is barely an RPG, though. I personally don't even categorize it as an RPG.
Action RPGs are still (J)RPGs.
"FFVIIR isn't a JRPG" Lmao. This forum
lmao this one got me

It's a JRPG yeah, the fact it's not turn based doesn't change that.

Its definitely a JRPG, BUT! Honestly, JRPGs aren't really role playing games...

tenor.gif

Swift_Gamer

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
You're SO wrong in so many levels. It's a Japanese game, made in Japan, by Japanese developers with rpg elements. It doesn't have to be turn based to be a JRPG. Don't be so narrow minded. Nobody is going to agree with you here. It's a JRPG.

Lobster Roll

Sep 24, 2019
You're SO wrong in so many levels. It's a Japanese game, made in Japan, by Japanese developers with rpg elements. It doesn't have to be turn based to be a JRPG. Don't be so narrow minded. Nobody is going to agree with you here. It's a JRPG.
I think that RPGs and the definition of RPGs and also whether or not FFVIIR is character-action forward or not is a more nuanced discussion that you're giving it credit for. Before you come out with the "narrow minded" comments, let's recall your "the orchestral music in FFVIIR is a mistake" topic followed by your "the orchestral music in FFVIIR is wonderful" the following day. Who knows, maybe you'll wake up tomorrow and think "ok, I disagree, I think he's wrong, but maybe I could see where he's coming from". I'll bank on that for now.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Its definitely a JRPG, BUT! Honestly, JRPGs aren't really role playing games...

tenor.gif
If you define roley-playing by HAVING to have freedom about all aspects of character creation (looks, personality traits through actions you take, stats to the finer details) and some level of choice over how the story progresses, sure JRPGs are pretty light on the role-playing aspects, but there's some dungeon cralwer RPG geneology in JRPGs when it comes to the combat side of things.

FFVII Remake is more RPG than many JRPGs with the freedom/choice that the materia system, weapon differences & other equipment gives character builds, stuff that doesn't necessarily exist even in a lot of other FF games (that are mostly just "get to new town -> buy new, stronger equipment to replace the old ones and become stronger"). There are even story choices that affect how some (minor) stuff progresses!

But yeah, these aren't RPGs in the sense that Dungeon & Dragon (inspired) video games are RPGs where you get to define your characters in more varied ways outside of just combat, I'm not gonna argue with that.

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
source.gif

This isn't an agree/disagree thing, you're just flat out wrong.

silva1991

Oct 26, 2017

Nani the fuck. This is about as JRPG as the original was except it has a different battle system.

Good luck explaining why this isn't a JRPG while the original game is aside from the combat.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Wait a sec, people in here aren't honestly questioning FFVIIR being a JRPG, lol?

OP
OP
modiz

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Hm, sold less than FFXV? That's interesting.
did you read the OP? I said it is performing twice as fast as FFXV for the same time period

EDIT:
are you referring to physical sales in Japan? it practically sold the same physically as FFXV and expected to be doing high digitally due to the virus so its likely selling faster.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
Era staying dumb about the genre discussion. Honestly never ask for JRPG recommendation on era cause then you get trash suggestions like nier automata or some shit by people that to not understand the point of having genre labels to begin with lmao. Worthless.

Oct 31, 2017
And considering most people are home rn and it released on a friday it's really not a surprise most people booted the game up the first few days it launched, while KH3 and FFXV released on Tuesdays during busy work weeks.

Lmao.

It has party members, stats, levels, customization, etc.

It's an RPG.

It was made in Japan.

It's a JRPG.