• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
It's great that people in the tennis community spoke out but when it comes to the CCP it's hard not to think they're just screaming into the abyss

Neo C.

Nov 9, 2017
The China of today is more aggressive than ever. We still don't know where Zhao Wei is either.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
I hope she's ok and that there's some measure of justice.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty sad that there is barely an outcry on this forum. Woman has been disappeared by the state because of a metoo accusation against a powerful official and we are still on page 2

lorddarkflare

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty sad that there is barely an outcry on this forum. Woman has been disappeared by the state because of a metoo accusation against a powerful official an we are still on page 2

I have been following this and just not posted. Not sure how many others like me.

Not much to say: the Chinese government is shit and their people deserve better.

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth

Naomi Osaka expresses 'shock' over missing Chinese tennis star Peng Shuai

World No 1 tennis star Naomi Osaka has joined the growing calls for answers on the whereabouts of Chinese player Peng Shuai, who has not been heard from publicly since she accused the country's former vice premier of sexually assaulting her.
The Women's Tennis Association has call for an investigation and its chief executive, Steve Simon, has said that while they have received "assurances" Peng is safe, they have not been able to reach her.
The Chinese government has not responded to the allegations. A spokesman for the ministry of foreign affairs, which deals with international media, told reporters he was not aware of the situation.

"I have not heard of the issue you raised," the spokesman, Zhao Lijian said. "This is not a diplomatic question."
www.theguardian.com

Naomi Osaka expresses ‘shock’ over missing Chinese tennis star Peng Shuai

Former world No 1 joins other athletes in voicing concern for Peng, who has not been seen since accusing ex-vice-premier of sexual assault

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty sad that there is barely an outcry on this forum. Woman has been disappeared by the state because of a metoo accusation against a powerful official and we are still on page 2
I think (?) it's more just a general disinterest in the world of tennis here. I tried to bump Zverev abuse threads, but no one cared.

Actually, there was some interest in the PTPA stuff, but that was founded on bad media hit pieces intended to maintain the current shitty status quo, so lol.

Zip

Oct 28, 2017
I have been following this and just not posted. Not sure how many others like me.

Not much to say: the Chinese government is shit and their people deserve better.

Yep. Both fucking pathetic and scary that the Chinese government's response to everything nowadays is to make people disappear and/or imprison and torture them.

A woman making a sexual assault allegation does not merit making her disappear. On top of clearly showing the Chinese government to be pathetic and terrified to where they need to brutally hammer down the slightest dissent, the official is also now clearly guilty.

I hope and look forward to the day China is free of such a horrible tyranny.

robox

Nov 10, 2017

Same. I've been reading this thread each time it's bumped, hoping for some good news that will never come.

If the CCP can make the NBA, hollywood, multinational corporations, the UN and everyone else bend the knee, what can I really do.

and you know this vice premier isn't the only one doing this shit. A ton of them have mistresses but it slides if they're in good standing with XJP. If not, you get got by the "anti-corruption" campaign.

UltimusXI

Oct 27, 2017
Terrible situation from a terrible government. Can't the WTA / ATP tours threaten to cancel all Chinese tournaments or something? Or a boycot to play in China from all top players? A woman's life is on the line here... (oh wait, $$$)

Either way, pile it on the list of reasons to boycot Made in China products for me.

Edit: ah yeah, I see it mentioned in one of your quotes, thanks, SilentPanda!

Last edited:

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
Terrible situation from a terrible government. Can't the WTA / ATP tours threaten to cancel all Chinese tournaments or something? Or a boycot to play in China from all top players? A woman's life is on the line here... (oh wait, $$$)

Either way, pile it on the list of reasons to boycot Made in China products for me.

....They did?
And because of COVID-19. there hasn't been any tournament.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Are we getting to the point where China just bans playing the sport of Tennis and anything related to it?

Pikachu

Traded his Bone Marrow for Pizza
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That letter is extremely fucked holy lord

one of the replies to Ben being like "that letter is somehow worse than not hearing from her" is 100%

robox

Nov 10, 2017
I feel i shouldn't laugh, but i cant help it at such blatant shenanigans

Edit: not somehow worse. It clearly is worse.

cinch

Chicken Chaser
Feb 17, 2019
omg that letter is so fucking fake and forced, her situation must be really dire

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017
Just incredible fucked up.

Criticizing anyone even remotely of note in the government probably ends with incarceration or death... if you're among the lucky ones, and torture and harm to your friends and family on top of that for the less fortunate ones.

Rangerx

Oct 25, 2017
Dangleberry
Fuckin hell that letter is almost taunting people with the fact that everyone knows the Chinese government disappeared her but your not going to do shit about it. So sad for her.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Jesus Christ, just heard about this today.

Cannot imagine putting something like that out while IN China. Fuck.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
here's steve simon's full statement. am i correct in that it seems like the chinese state media were the first ones to release the contents of that "email" and not the WTA or simon?

"The statement released today by Chinese state media concerning Peng Shuai only raises my concerns as to her safety and whereabouts.

I have a hard time believing that Peng Shuai actually wrote the email we received or believes what is being attributed to her. Peng Shuai displayed incredible courage in describing an allegation of sexual assault against a former top official in the Chinese government. The WTA and the rest of the world need independent and verifiable proof that she is safe. I have repeatedly tried to reach her via numerous forms of communication, to no avail.

Peng Shuai must be allowed to speak freely, without coercion or intimidation from any source. Her allegation of sexual assault must be respected, investigated with full transparency and without censorship.

The voices of women need to be heard and respected, not censored nor dictated to."

ChippyTurtle

Banned
Oct 13, 2018
that they couldn't just bring her in front of some cameras or some shit and had to do a email is very worrisome.

mere_immortal

Oct 25, 2017
I believe it was a boaking accident.

China continues to do whatever evil shit they like with 0 repercussions.

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
Nice cursor!
She has to be dead :(
Kick China out of tennis please.
God, she's dead, isn't she?

Not likely, looking at the Jack Ma(One of the richest man in China, critized China's banking system)<Disappeared and reappear a few month later> situation and the China 3 procedure for public airing of event.

It's something like this

Step 1 - The victem air the event publicly with real name on the internet and news.

Step 2 - The Chinese government determine if the Victem is "us" or "politicial enemy"
If political enemy, they will use anti-corruption and arrest and put them on trial.

If "Us" they might go after the perpertrator.

Step 3 - Depending on the background and fame of the victem, will determine final.
If normal citizen, they might disappear, but with her similiar to Jack Ma, both are internationally and nationally known, and the vent is known world wide.

Like the e-mail, what will happen next is threaten and bribe her to reach a outcome and realize the strength of the party and country and not make problem.

tw.appledaily.com

「彭帥」電郵真假受質疑 中共處理「實名舉報」三部曲 | 蘋果新聞網 | 蘋果日報

石破天驚的實名舉報,震動了中國以及全世界,這就是中國女網名將彭帥11月2日在微博發出千字文,實名舉報曾是中國最高層政治官員、中共中央常委、中國國務院前副總理張高麗的性侵與不倫事件。 震撼的是,這是全球反性騷、反性侵的「#我也是」(#MeToo)運動首次衝擊中共高層,但彭帥的發...

IHaveIce

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
china is so scary they are like the nazi regime if it didn't start wars and just focussed on conzroling its own citizens to the max and global economic domination.

Nobody can or wants to do anything against them.. it is so horrible

Humidex

Oct 27, 2017
With such a blatant fake email, she's either dead or being tortured. Fucking evil pieces of shits
Nah. More likely is a period of house arrest and a shakedown of her assets/reputation and a reminder to her from the state that "we made you, we can break you".

She, like Jack Ma and Fan Bingbing, is too famous to be placed in a gulag. But she will be on watch for the rest of her life.