Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
There was a recent article in The Atlantic on the rising tide of modern autocracies. One of the points raised was modern autocracies post-USSR no longer need to care about world opinion. Autocracies have learned to support one another through trade and security resources to blunt the blow of any sanctions. They also view damage to their economy or world standing acceptable trade-offs to securing their own power, as their own power is all that really matters to them.

www.theatlantic.com

The Bad Guys Are Winning

If the 20th century was the story of slow, uneven progress toward the victory of liberal democracy over other ideologies—communism, fascism, virulent nationalism—the 21st century is, so far, a story of the reverse.
I read this. A very grim picture. World democracies are grossly unprepared for the modern reality of an autocratic cooperative that maintains power through mutual support in the face of sanctions, as well as through international business interests and the malicious use of the internet to control information and sabotage nations.

Last edited:

maabus1999

Oct 26, 2017
Why are their coats behind them which give 0 space to serve or seat. And that random waitress just walking around with tea - and not serving it.

Completely contrived... Certainly her being mansplained is evidence all is well.
She served the tea by walking around the whole table, but there is space behind the coach to do so...unless there are people off camera just behind him. This was setup big time.

FrakEarth

Oct 25, 2017
Liverpool, UK
What I don't really get here is why the party machine would go to great lengths to protect a vice premier - he must still have pull. I can believe that the regime would want to minimise embarrassment or any implication of fallibility - do they only arrest former officials when its politically convenient?

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
What I don't really get here is why the party machine would go to great lengths to protect a vice premier - he must still have pull. I can believe that the regime would want to minimise embarrassment or any implication of fallibility - do they only arrest former officials when its politically convenient?
Isn't he a close associate of Pooh bear?

Quasi

Banned
Aug 24, 2021
Eventually though it impacts the success of businesses within China which will weaken China's power over time.
Does it though? People don't seem to have any problems supporting Chinese companies and they only continue to grow. Doesn't matter that a Tencent helps the CCP in finding people who speak ill of the government, as soon as they invest in a cool gaming company people are happy.

CGTN released a video

In this video, they were talking about trainning plan.
That man talked to Peng Shuai said, " tomorrow, November 21st "

She didn't even utter a word in it, only that man talked

Genuinely creepy. It's not even gonna convince anyone but it just gives the bad actors another "argument" to shout down everyone who criticises the CCP. And I wouldn't be surprised if this sign of life is enough of an excuse for organisations to argue that they can host their events in China after all.

What I don't really get here is why the party machine would go to great lengths to protect a vice premier - he must still have pull.
It's all about connections and family. You scratch my back I'll scratch yours. Doesn't matter that he's no longer the vice premier he still has friends in high places and probably did quite a few favours to people who are currently in charge as well when he was still in charge. It's also just about saving face, can't have it be said that such a high-ranking official and confidant of current officials was a rapist and no one noticed it (or worse, let him get away with it).

Last edited:

Pyccko

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
probably the thought that one piece of the government apparatus being undermined would lead to the possibility more widespread questioning of the whole system and wanting to tamp that down as quickly as possible

OP
OP
Ceerious

Ceerious

Oct 27, 2017
Asian

Two main reasons.

Firstly,the propaganda machine's No.1 priroty, is to protect the Party's divine image: it is pure and determined, it is destined to lead our people forever and ever. The higher a person in the party's bureaucrat ladders, the more untouchable they become. If the party leader was to punish someone with high status in the party, he would done it in the name of "anti corruption", so he could punish his enemy and made himself looked good at the same time. Sometimes bureaucrats even get reward after they fuck up something, because they take one for the team.

Whether Zhao Gaoli is a close associate to Winne the pooh or not (it's hard to confirm), this is not a determiting factor in this case. At least for now, a vice premier is too high to "sacrifice". Cause you know, so many important people in the party are offenders, they don't want to set a precedent. The party's image must be protected.

Another reason is China today is a highly Patriarchal society. Proganda department have openly declared feminism is "corrupted western value" and it is very, very hard for abused woman voicing their condition. Recent years there were many infamous sexual assaulted cases in China that sadly haven't got that much notice outside of China. Usually, those victims were openly silenced, mocked, harassed, then lost the case(if they could took it to court in the first place).

But,there was ONE cases,that the party quickly arrested and punished a rich sexual abuser. That abuser is Kris Wu, a very famous singer and idol in China. The party took this case as evidence that they cared about women very much, publicized it, and tried to gain support from Chinese women.

But guess what? This Kris Wu guy, is actually Chinese Canadian. He had zero political power.

en.wikipedia.org

Kris Wu - Wikipedia

So, the party arrested him very willingly. Yes he deserved it, he is a creep, but you can easily see through the party's principles.

Rhowm

Nov 27, 2017
CGTN released a video

In this video, they were talking about trainning plan.
That man talked to Peng Shuai said, " tomorrow, November 21st "

She didn't even utter a word in it, only that man talked

Unfortunately the CCP is probably right that this may take some heat of of them(for those looking for any cover to do so) . But the whole video is as contrived as this:

Deleted member 48201

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 29, 2018
Now she is being paraded in front of the cameras at a tournament in an almost empty stadium.

Of course she doesn't speak and again it's posted by a state affiliated twitter account.

Last edited:

perfectchaos007

It's Happening
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
At least its pretty apparent that she's safe, physically. With the world watching, the CCP knows they can't make her disappear like they normally do with critics and accusers

Mar 7, 2020
USA
So I guess international pressure and WTA threatening to pull out is making the CCP respond instead of the usual silence.

Last edited:

siteseer

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There was a recent article in The Atlantic on the rising tide of modern autocracies. One of the points raised was modern autocracies post-USSR no longer need to care about world opinion. Autocracies have learned to support one another through trade and security resources to blunt the blow of any sanctions. They also view damage to their economy or world standing acceptable trade-offs to securing their own power, as their own power is all that really matters to them.

www.theatlantic.com

The Bad Guys Are Winning

If the 20th century was the story of slow, uneven progress toward the victory of liberal democracy over other ideologies—communism, fascism, virulent nationalism—the 21st century is, so far, a story of the reverse.
don't forget that trump gave a pass to the saudis after the assassination of that journalist. it's not just autocracies protecting each other, as long as there is an interest, economic or not, democracies can and will look the other way. i mean there is a pinned thread here about israel after all.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
As horribly depressing as this entire episode has been, there's one inexplicable recent element that made me burst out laughing (when pointed out on reddit):

WbMdQcY.png

Baffling. They tagged the men and women's tours and... Croatian tennis player Marin Cilic. Like, is the idea to befuddle or something (as with the photo of Winnie the Pooh)?

AnotherNils

Oct 27, 2017
But will they ever let her leave the country again? And if they do, will they ever let her be more than 5 ft from a handler?

OP
OP
Ceerious

Ceerious

Oct 27, 2017
Asian
Baffling. They tagged the men and women's tours and... Croatian tennis player Marin Cilic. Like, is the idea to befuddle or something (as with the photo of Winnie the Pooh)?

lmao the only reason behind this, that I could think of, is YEARS ago Chinese media published some articles about him celebrating his birthday in China. According to the articale, he said some routine nice things about China.

They must be like:
"Tag Osaka? No no no! She won't cooperate.Quick, find a tennis player who might say good things for us"
"……How about Marin Cilic? After all, he happily received our birthday cake 7 years ago."

Img404769379.jpg

"Worth a try."

Ramsay

Jul 2, 2019
Australia
This is likely just the tip of the iceberg - and as such, to the CCP, if the vice premier suffers consequences for this, then this opens the door to other senior CCP officials being held accountable for this.

Honestly, I would be surprised if Xi himself wasn't sexually abusing women.

sacrament

Banned
Dec 16, 2019
Not just the NBA....gaming companies too which one was it that removed a player for being critical of China during a tournament? Blizard?

Also the Olympics should threaten to remove China from hosting the next Oympics but...we know they wont' cause people care more about $$$ then people's live.

Yeah, it was Blizz around Free HK comments. And I agree. I feel a little hopeless around these companies in general and if they start falling in line with what's effectively a fascist regime I really get grumpy about how it will effect our own free speech.

But yeah, Free HK, fuck Blizz.

Kadey

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Southeastern PA
That is the most obvious silencing I ever seen. They are probably threatening her with stuff like hurting her family, etc, to keep her quiet. I wouldn't put it pass them to do something like that.

KingKong

Oct 27, 2017
User banned (1 week): whataboutism in a serious thread
This is likely just the tip of the iceberg - and as such, to the CCP, if the vice premier suffers consequences for this, then this opens the door to other senior CCP officials being held accountable for this.

Honestly, I would be surprised if Xi himself wasn't sexually abusing women.

thats a bizarre thing to be surprised by. Can we say the same about Joe Biden, who actually had a woman claim that he sexually abused her or does it only apply to the nefarious Chinese

Quasi

Banned
Aug 24, 2021
thats a bizarre thing to be surprised by. Can we say the same about Joe Biden, who actually had a woman claim that he sexually abused her or does it only apply to the nefarious Chinese
Imagine coming into a thread about the silencing of a sexual abuse victim by a genocidal regime just to protect the image of said regimes leader. Absolutely wild.

IOC President and IOC Athletes' Commission Chair hold video call with Peng Shuai
OP
OP
Ceerious

Ceerious

Oct 27, 2017
Asian

IOC President and IOC Athletes' Commission Chair hold video call with Peng Shuai

olympics.com

IOC President and IOC Athletes’ Commission Chair hold video call with Peng Shuai - Olympic News

Today, IOC President Thomas Bach held a video call with three-time Olympian Peng Shuai from China. He was joined by the Chair of the IOC Athletes’ Commission, Emma Terho, and IOC Member in China Li Lingwei, who has known Peng Shuai for many years from her time in the Chinese Tennis Federation.

"I was relieved to see that Peng Shuai was doing fine, which was our main concern. She appeared to be relaxed. I offered her our support and to stay in touch at any time of her convenience, which she obviously appreciated," said Emma Terho.

Seems like IOC is fully supporting this narrative.

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
I mean, if she's totally fine and nothing's wrong, why wouldn't she and the IOC have been in touch sooner? With the huge media focus and everything.

perfectchaos007

It's Happening
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
IOC is acting like an arm of the CCP at this point. I know its killing her inside that she can't speak up about her sexual assault, and she has probably been given death threats should she ever bring it up again

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017

olympics.com

IOC President and IOC Athletes’ Commission Chair hold video call with Peng Shuai - Olympic News

Today, IOC President Thomas Bach held a video call with three-time Olympian Peng Shuai from China. He was joined by the Chair of the IOC Athletes’ Commission, Emma Terho, and IOC Member in China Li Lingwei, who has known Peng Shuai for many years from her time in the Chinese Tennis Federation.

It's not surprisingly considering all of the sexual assaults they've been more than willing to cover/cleanup for every country all these years.

Deleted member 48201

Banned
Sep 29, 2018

olympics.com

The IOC is such an embarrassing organization, they will say anything to protect their profits.

We're supposed to believe that now all of sudden she wants privacy. Sure I totally believe it. I wonder how long the CCP will keep up this charade.

Once the attention fades she will be in for an even worse time than now, because of how all this extra attention has embarrassed the CCP.

Oct 30, 2017
Your Imagination
New news smells like total bullshit, unless she has decided to lock herself in only one room in her (apparent) flat which is filled with children's toys for some reason. Also, she has been wearing the same white top in all 3 appearances. Not to get into tinfoil hat territory, but in this situation, it's probably more likely than not that something is up.

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
The IOC has a Chinese hosted Olympics games starting in just 75 days.

No boats will be rocked by them. The Chinese could literally do a weekend at Bernie's with her on camera and the IOC would back them.

Quasi

Banned
Aug 24, 2021

olympics.com

Not surprising. They were never gonna care either way, but now they've got a convenient enough argument to pretend everything is fine.

The Games must go on!

Deleted member 48201

Banned
Sep 29, 2018
The Women's Tennis Association (WTA) has announced the suspension of all tournaments in China amid concerns about the safety of the Chinese tennis star Peng Shuai, following weeks of a high-profile row with Beijing over the player's wellbeing.
"With the full support of the WTA Board of Directors, I am announcing the immediate suspension of all WTA tournaments in China, including Hong Kong," said the WTA chairman, Steve Simon, announcing the decision in a statement on Wednesday
"In good conscience, I don't see how I can ask our athletes to compete there when Peng Shuai is not allowed to communicate freely and has seemingly been pressured to contradict her allegation of sexual assault. Given the current state of affairs, I am also greatly concerned about the risks that all of our players and staff could face if we were to hold events in China in 2022."
In the 2019 season, China hosted nine tournaments, including the season-ending WTA Finals, with a total of $30.4m (£22.6m) in prize money – a significant portion of the WTA's revenues. Industry analysts say that today's announcement from the WTA would be a huge financial loss to the organisation.

"It'll be a massive hit to the WTA financially by pulling out of China," said Mark Thomas, managing director of S2M Consulting, a China-focused sports consultancy firm. "For the WTA, it cares about #MeToo and women's rights, and they have to show they are sensitive to it."

www.theguardian.com

WTA suspends tournaments in China amid concern for Peng Shuai

The WTA has announced the suspension of its tournaments in China amid concerns about the safety of Peng Shuai

The WTA is suspending all tournaments in China.
Great to see them put human rights before money. The world needs more companies like this.