Jul 26, 2021
Ugh, feeling awful for her. There's a lot of pressure crushing down on her from above and even if no physical harm comes to her, there are many ways to make someone suffer without laying a finger on them.

ajoshi

Sep 11, 2021
Edit; not worth stirring pot as long as nobody is shitposting against this. Hope we hear from her soon.

Last edited:

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
She'll reappear in a couple of months broken and appologizing for destabilizing society or something similar.
Given that WTA and other organisations aren't buying their lies on this, it seems possible she might never appear again. Having her appear again would just create more bad PR for them.

darkwing

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 25, 2017
china is so scary they are like the nazi regime if it didn't start wars and just focussed on conzroling its own citizens to the max and global economic domination.

Nobody can or wants to do anything against them.. it is so horrible

yup really scary, can't imagine living there

Nintenleo

Nov 9, 2017
Italy
edition.cnn.com

Peng Shuai: UN calls for proof of Chinese tennis star's whereabouts; WTA chairman willing to pull out of China | CNN

China is facing pressure from the United Nations over Chinese tennis star Peng Shuai's whereabouts as the organization called for an investigation into her allegations of sexual assault.

The head of the Women's Tennis Association Steve Simon has said he is willing to lose hundreds of millions of dollars worth of business in China if tennis player Peng Shuai's safety is not fully accounted for and her allegations are not properly investigated.

"We're definitely willing to pull our business and deal with all the complications that come with it," Simon said in an interview Thursday with CNN. "Because this is certainly, this is bigger than the business," added Simon.

"Women need to be respected and not censored," said Simon.

I'm so sorry that this story ain't much popular in this forum. At least the head of WTA stood the fuck up. "This is bigger than business", as he said.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
edition.cnn.com

Peng Shuai: UN calls for proof of Chinese tennis star's whereabouts; WTA chairman willing to pull out of China | CNN

China is facing pressure from the United Nations over Chinese tennis star Peng Shuai's whereabouts as the organization called for an investigation into her allegations of sexual assault.

I'm so sorry that this story ain't much popular in this forum. At least the head of WTA stood the fuck up.
I hope he actually does it and they don't wind up going back on it in a few years. People shouldn't just be able to do stuff like this without some kind of punishment.

Deleted member 48201

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 29, 2018
edition.cnn.com

I'm so sorry that this story ain't much popular in this forum. At least the head of WTA stood the fuck up. "This is bigger than business", as he said.
I'd have a lot of respect for them if they do that cause it's time to put human rights before profit and show those CCP thugs they can't get away with everything.

Last edited:

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
edition.cnn.com

Damn this would be pretty damn crazy turn of events considering the usual lack of response over this kind of stuff.

MrPhiliasfrog

Oct 25, 2017
edition.cnn.com

I'm glad they stood up, but the WTA needs to do it. Even the ATP should put out a statement threatening to remove tournaments/masters.

Badgerst

Oct 27, 2017
How long till her body double is photographed from a blurry distance?
Lets see if this drags out till 2022 Beijing Olympics get threatened.
Sad but can't be alive right?

Peek-a-boo!

Oct 30, 2017
Woodbridge
edition.cnn.com

Good news, but they should do it now — no hesitating and allowing China to find a way to manoeuvre the narrative.

I am glad some players are beginning to speak out, both Naomi Osaka and Serena Williams in particular, but this should be bigger news than it already is. Get the men to speak out too (I believe Stan Wawrinka already has).

EarthPainting

Oct 26, 2017
Town adjacent to Silent Hill
edition.cnn.com

Could have been a stronger response, but all things considered it's good that the WTA are not letting it go. The story staying in the spotlight is pretty much our only tool to fight this.

Peru

Oct 26, 2017
How long till her body double is photographed from a blurry distance?
Lets see if this drags out till 2022 Beijing Olympics get threatened.
Sad but can't be alive right?

I'm sure she is alive - in a house arrest. Many Chinese celebs have disappeared, only to reappear even years later. In a guarded house arrest, being told what to say if she's ever put before a camera, threatened with further pain if she acts up again.

Neo C.

Nov 9, 2017
I'm sure she is alive - in a house arrest. Many Chinese celebs have disappeared, only to reappear even years later. In a guarded house arrest, being told what to say if she's ever put before a camera, threatened with further pain if she acts up again.
That's assuming the modus operandi hasn't changed. Consider the development of Xi's regime we've seen so far, I could see them to go one step further now.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
I doubt she's been killed. She's just going through what every woman has to go through in male dominated societies when they speak out about the abuse and injustices they have endured at the hands of the people in power. Harassment from the abuser until they either take the story back publicly or get harassed and punished by a legal system that can be exploited more easily by the rich and powerful.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Good news, but they should do it now — no hesitating and allowing China to find a way to manoeuvre the narrative.

I am glad some players are beginning to speak out, both Naomi Osaka and Serena Williams in particular, but this should be bigger news than it already is. Get the men to speak out too (I believe Stan Wawrinka already has).
I linked a twitter account earlier collecting players and orgs talking about it.

CortexVortex

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Good that several players, including Djokovic and Zverev, are speaking up. This whole thing is just shocking.

Trafalgar Law

Nov 6, 2017
Can't wait for my tanky mutuals to pretend like she's suddenly a cia asset or something
Like yeah western powers do have a boner for framing China in a bad light but they act like government can do no wrong and it's mind boggling

OP
OP
Ceerious

Ceerious

Oct 27, 2017
Asian
www.hrw.org

Chinese Tennis Star’s Disappearance Is Warning for Olympics

Three-time Olympian Chinese tennis player Peng Shuai is missing. The hashtag #WhereIsPengShuai is trending globally, and world tennis champions Naomi Osaka, Serena Williams, and Novak Djokovic voiced fears about the 35-year-old star’s whereabouts.

When the IOC finally commented, it was to endorse the government's line: "We have seen the latest reports and are encouraged by assurances that she is safe."

Very disappointing comments from IOC.
Even a "no comment" is better than this.

Last edited:

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
Can't wait for my tanky mutuals to pretend like she's suddenly a cia asset or something
Like yeah western powers do have a boner for framing China in a bad light but they act like government can do no wrong and it's mind boggling

I suspect it's going to be more 'No-one is listening to her Own WordsTM' that it was nothing.

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON
edition.cnn.com

This is good but just do it now and get this snowball rolling into an avalanche.

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017
I doubt she's been killed. She's just going through what every woman has to go through in male dominated societies when they speak out about the abuse and injustices they have endured at the hands of the people in power. Harassment from the abuser until they either take the story back publicly or get harassed and punished by a legal system that can be exploited more easily by the rich and powerful.

This feels like a misplaced comment. By all means, the CCP and the society under it are assuredly sexist but equating her suffering right now to that of anyone else in this sexist world is feels nearly offensive to me.

Like, we're talking about one specific person who's undoubtedly going to hell, if she's even still alive, because she openly criticized someone from the government. While China with the CCP isn't the only country where that happens, it sure doesn't happen everywhere, not in this severity. This is some DDR shit, not what could occur without massive protests in Germany right now, just as one example.

Furthermore, we know for a fact that the CCP doesn't do this just to women. So generalizing this specific incident and partially making it about sexism is quite the take.

www.hrw.org

Chinese Tennis Star’s Disappearance Is Warning for Olympics

Three-time Olympian Chinese tennis player Peng Shuai is missing. The hashtag #WhereIsPengShuai is trending globally, and world tennis champions Naomi Osaka, Serena Williams, and Novak Djokovic voiced fears about the 35-year-old star’s whereabouts.

Very disappointing comments from IOC.
Even a "no comment" is better than this.

Par for the course, but no less disappointing.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
edition.cnn.com

oh shit let's go.

Tremorah

Dec 3, 2018
edition.cnn.com

Fucking great that they take that stand over this whole situation, hope they find the player in good health

Donos

Nov 15, 2017
It has now finally reached spiegel.de (one of germanies biggest weekly magazine and news outlet) with two articles on top.

"Where is Peng Shuai" and "Rising pressure on China- only IOC is ducking away"

screenshot_20211119-1qtjy6.jpg

OP
OP
Ceerious

Ceerious

Oct 27, 2017
Asian
It's the most bizarre thing to me
also in general I wonder the role of women in modern China , they don't seem to have that many prominent roles in like business and politics from my outside view but im not very well versed

In politics, I don't know, but there are absolutely prominent women in the Chinese business world.

About this topic, here is a page from Chinese government official website:

中国共产党第十九届中央领导机构_中国政府网

中国政府网国情中国共产党第十九届中央领导机构。

It's the whole list of China's most important political leaders.

It's easy to see there is only one woman from the first row of "中央政治局委员(Politburo members)" section, seventh from the left.

Additionally, everyone in this list is Han nationality.

Back to the topic:

First reaction from UN?

www.cbsnews.com

U.N. calls for proof of China's missing tennis star Peng Shuai's "whereabouts and well-being"

China's Foreign Ministry claims it's "not aware" of global concerns over the disappearance of Peng Shuai following her online claim of sexual assault by a senior politician.

The U.N. Human Rights Office called for a fully-transparent investigation into the former Grand Slam doubles champion's claims against Zhang Gaoli.

Last edited:

sacrament

Banned
Dec 16, 2019

As someone already broke down for you, this is a horrible take.

Let's walk through the horror here though... abused and assaulted, then repeatedly raped, then speaks up, and now thrown into a hole to be tortured and possibly killed. All because the CCP itself is "protecting itself"... it's a nightmare.

WTA should just nope the fuck out - along with the NBA/FIFA, etc. And we should boycott the Olympics. No better time than now.

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
Holy shit, she just completely vanished?
Glad to see global sporting authorities stepping up, but still, this is just chilling.

FTF

Oct 28, 2017
New York
wow just catching up on all this jfc. I hope she is found and is ok and good on the WTA I hope they do pull out of China.

Also, China/the foreign ministry is claiming they are "unaware" of this?? seriously, that's their statement smdh.

www.espn.com

Chinese official: 'Not aware' of Peng situation

China's Foreign Ministry on Friday stuck to its line that it wasn't aware of the controversy surrounding tennis professional Peng Shuai, who disappeared after accusing a former top official of sexually assaulting her.

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
We are at the fake message stage. WTA put out another statement saying they don't believe it.

This is messed up. If she is indeed in the US and safe she should do a video going all in into the allegations. At this point her life is ruined in China, might as well burn all bridges and stay safe.