Status
Not open for further replies.

Yesterzine

Jan 5, 2022
Here's a conspiracy theory.

They've ordered them to keep playing but also given them 0 revenue options.

Is the plan to make them fall into administration, Roman forfeits the club, it's bought by someone for £1 minus debts and we go back to football with a 10 point deduction that might not even take them out of europe.

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
Hilarious. Do Chelsea still have a million players out on loan? Wonder what happens there.

Chelsea can still pay any ongoing costs, so wages to players on loan. But any money going to Chelsea is banned by this sanction, so it'd either get held in an escrow account until the sanctions are lifted, or the license holder might ask the Government to allow those funds to come in.

Yesterzine

Jan 5, 2022
No way Roman will put any more money into this black hole. Chelsea is finished.

Well he literally can't right now of course.

I would imagine that they'll find a way to allow the sale of the club, I'm not sure how that all works though with how everything is tied up.

Well that was my administration theory, force the club to fail and job done.

Although that implies Liz Truss having a coherent thought so it's a outside chance.

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
I'd guess the last one is just so the entire catering staff don't all lose their jobs today.

Yup, and presumably denying however many season ticket holders food at the ground is a bit harsh and might make for security concerns.

This license means that any money going into the club is frozen though (Paragraph 6.3), so held in escrow.

Yesterzine

Jan 5, 2022
Then he can't pay the wages and the players will revolt. No normal ticket sales means there's little revenue. Do broadcasting rights get paid each month or do clubs get the whole sum before the season starts?

Yeah, the club bank accounts will of course already have money but it can't last that long given the huge drains and no revenue.

Casa

Oct 25, 2017
As an American looking on from the outside this feels absolutely insane to me. We've had lots of despicable, hugely problematic owners who have been forced out and had to sell their clubs. Punish the owner, sanction the owner, force him to sell, bar him from any future involvement in the sport.

But to directly punish the millions of supporters, the players, the coaches, the staff who had ZERO to do with the deeds in question? How is that right?

As a Chelsea supporter I 100% agree that Abramovich had to go. It even makes a lot of sense that he shouldn't benefit financially from the sale. But to completely fuck over the supporters and players? That makes no sense at all to me.

Yesterzine

Jan 5, 2022
As an American looking on from the outside this feels absolutely insane to me. We've had lots of despicable, hugely problematic owners who have been forced out and had to sell their clubs. Punish the owner, sanction the owner, force him to sell, bar him from any future involvement in the sport.

But to directly punish the millions of supporters, the players, the coaches, the staff who had ZERO to do with the deeds in question? How is that right?

As a Chelsea supporter I 100% agree that Abramovich had to go. It even makes a lot of sense that he shouldn't benefit financially from the sale. But to completely fuck over the supporters and players? That makes no sense at all to me.

That sanctions for you, we get it much better than the innocents in Russia, it's all designed to put pressure on Putin and there will be "collateral damage".

It sucks personally but it's still probably the right thing, if not perhaps precisely the way to do it. If they're going to allow a sale than it'll be fine.

Herey

Unshakable Resolve
Jan 10, 2019
Not really sure Chelsea fans can complain much, this is a decision by a tory government they all voted for

Bestlaidplans

Oct 28, 2017

mAkEs nO SeNse

Clearly it does make sense to you:

www.resetera.com

Russia has begun a full-scale invasion in Ukraine [READ STAFF POSTS] News

Just briefly saw Senator Angus King on TV suggest that sanction relief could potentially come in theory if Russia commits to a ceasefire and withdraws their forces from Ukraine. But really, should that alone even be enough? I really don’t think it should, personally. Ultra-harsh sanctions...

www.resetera.com

Can China be punished in any way for essentially collaborating with Russia?

www.resetera.com

So when do the next round of even harsher sanctions get announced? What’s the hold up, getting Germany to agree to them or something?

Casa

Oct 25, 2017
mAkEs nO SeNse

www.resetera.com

Just briefly saw Senator Angus King on TV suggest that sanction relief could potentially come in theory if Russia commits to a ceasefire and withdraws their forces from Ukraine. But really, should that alone even be enough? I really don’t think it should, personally. Ultra-harsh sanctions...

www.resetera.com

www.resetera.com

So when do the next round of even harsher sanctions get announced? What’s the hold up, getting Germany to agree to them or something?
What the fuck does any of that have to do with punishing the supporters of a football club?

His Majesty

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
mAkEs nO SeNse

www.resetera.com

www.resetera.com

www.resetera.com

rip lol

as a Chelsea fan I applaud this move, targeted sanctions are good

yagal

Oct 25, 2017
mAkEs nO SeNse

www.resetera.com

www.resetera.com

www.resetera.com

😵

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
What the fuck does any of that have to do with punishing the supporters of a football club?

lol. 90% of those supporters arrived post Abramovich and his money. Fans didn't complain when all that money came pouring in. Or all the dodgy FFP side-steps. Can't take the plus-sides and then try to dissociate when the shit hits the fan.

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
Purely from a sporting pov now, this means that Chelsea are almost certain to lose defenders Cesar Azpilicueta, Antonio Rudiger and Andreas Christensen this summer, as their contracts expire and Chelsea can't offer them anything any time soon.

His Majesty

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Chelsea is an asset of Abramovich. Abramovich has close ties to Putin. Surely this cannot come as a surprise to you.

I think it's ironic that you were fine with ultra harsh sanctions (likely causing suffering among innocent civilians) but taking away football toys is where you draw the line.

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
Sanction the fuck out of Russia!!

*is very slightly impacted by sanctions*

Hang on this isn't fair, wtf?

Casa

Oct 25, 2017
Freeze his assets, sanction him personally, seize all of his London property, force him to sell Chelsea, never allow him to set foot in the UK again. Send every pound of the sale to Ukrainian war victims. All of that I support 100%.

Again, I fail to see how punishing people who had nothing at all to do with the actions of the owner is fair or reasonable. Why should the players on the pitch or the tens of millions of supporters around the globe bear the brunt of it?

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
Does Nike have to suspend sales of their kits because the profits would go to the Club?

No. Third Parties can sell goods provided no funds go to the Club, and any contractual arrangements made prior to today can still be settled, but the funds would be frozen.

Freeze his assets, sanction him personally, seize all of his London property, force him to sell Chelsea, never allow him to set foot in the UK again. Send every pound of the sale to Ukrainian war victims. All of that I support 100%.

Again, I fail to see how punishing people who had nothing at all to do with the actions of the owner is fair or reasonable. Why should the players on the pitch or the tens of millions of supporters around the globe bear the brunt of it?

I mean, that last point is exactly why the Government has taken steps to allow Chelsea to keep playing. It's rough around the edges but Chelsea can still play, they can finish out the season, be broadcast on TV and watched by fans, staff and players get their wages and they can compete for trophies etc. The alternative is Chelsea FC are shuttered today.

This just ensures no more money can go to Roman Abramovich.

DGS

Nov 2, 2017
Tyrol
Purely from a sporting pov now, this means that Chelsea are almost certain to lose defenders Cesar Azpilicueta, Antonio Rudiger and Andreas Christensen this summer, as their contracts expire and Chelsea can't offer them anything any time soon.

Good. Bayern is looking for a defender, because Alaba went to Madrid und Süle is going to Dortmund this summer.

Luke92

Jan 31, 2019
You do understand that various regimes use sports to whitewash, right? Abramovich certainly has had his influence with Putin and at this point, you have to draw a line. It sucks for low level, non-football related staff members, but honestly? I can't give a single fuck about supporters that have embraced Abramovich for years (even now! What the fuck). Coaching staff and players will find another club quickly if worst comes to worst. If Chelsea drops to irrelevancy, so be it. Seems weird to me to give Chelsea a special case here, you wouldn't be mad reading about a club falling to irrelevancy that was owned by like Hitler's buddy.

Coming from Germany, I might have a different view on ownership of sports clubs. No club is allowed to sell the majority to an investor and with recent developments, I'm happy with that.

Timmm

Oct 28, 2017
Manchester, UK

Maybe the sanctions are being put in place to get Chelsea supporters to rise up and depose Abramovic, thats how they work right?

Casa

Oct 25, 2017
No. Third Parties can sell goods provided no funds go to the Club, and any contractual arrangements made prior to today can still be settled, but the funds would be frozen.

I mean, that last point is exactly why the Government has taken steps to allow Chelsea to keep playing. It's rough around the edges but Chelsea can still play, they can finish out the season, be broadcast on TV and watched by fans, staff and players get their wages and they can compete for trophies etc. The alternative is Chelsea FC are shuttered today.

Things like no away fans, no new ticket sales, club shops being closed, limited funds for the team to travel. How does that punish Abramovich exactly? These things hurt only the players, staff, and fans.

Sonix

Prophet of Regret
Aug 3, 2020
Things like no away fans, no new ticket sales, club shops being closed, limited funds for the team to travel. How does that punish Abramovich exactly? These things hurt only the players, staff, and fans.
Very easy: Abramovich *owns* Chelsea. For all relevant matters Chelsea *is* Abramovitch. Sanction him = sanctioning Chelsea.

ItchyTasty

Feb 3, 2019

Yeah if anything this should make fans relieved since he can't cash out on the club and put all the money in Dubai.

Sounds like the club will be sold soon anyway, which should make the sanctions go away.

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK

Abramovich owns the club, so any moneys going into the club would benefit him. That's what the sanctions are there to stop. Limited funds for travel is a minor thing, there to stop anyone at the club moving money out.

Like yeah it's gonna hurt. But again, the alternative is the asset is frozen today. That means Chelsea stop playing football right now. They're a wholly owned asset of Roman Abramovich, and the assets of sanctioned individuals are forced to stop operating. Chelsea are getting special exemptions to that because of the fans and importance of the club to a lot of people.

His Majesty

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
I think you're very close to understanding why calling for "ultra harsh sanctions" is a bit ehh

Status
Not open for further replies.