• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
I don't recall JRPGs being the top selling genre since PS1 days. And those were FFVII and FFVIII.

I think even if this game was released back in PS2 or PS3 days they it probably wouldn't sell 10 million in 4 months.
Probably not, but the original game was still fresher in peoples' minds than it is nowadays.

I would be curious to see how many casual gamers, especially younger ones, are even that aware of it nowadays.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
and again- this is nonsense.

FF7 only sold what it did on the back of a massively expensive ad campaign funded mostly by Sony, *and* a ton of what was at the time cutting edge CG. The only JRPG series to sell better than FF does (and I use this term loosely) is Pokemon. Everything else- Dragon Quest, Kingdom Hearts, Persona, Monster Hunter, SaGa, Xeno...are distantly, distantly behind it.

Straight up, the genre has limited appeal especially in the west, and the west is where all of the growth for consoles has been since the PS1 era. It is amazing that FF consistently manages to sell what it does when *no other JRPG is able to.* Square isn't "mismanaging" the franchise. It had one mediocre entry (XIII) and a couple of spin offs, then went back to form. This is well above average for a series that's been running since 1987.

It's not really amazing at all. It's expected. The things that trip up other J-RPGs aren't there for Final Fantasy (looking so over the top anime and having weak production values). Most JRPGs always look like they're a generation behind. FF and KH were the only ones that didn't, and surprisingly KH sells amazing too (though this is also because of the Disney characters). Monster Hunter upgraded it's graphics and switched to something that had slightly more mass appeal and boom, suddenly it's sold 15.5m copies world wide.

And no, it didn't have one mediocre entry. FF XIV was trash until they retooled it. Even FF XV was liked but wasn't loved--they had to add simple shit like the ability to play as other characters. I don't think I'm out of line to say FF7 Remake is the closest thing to a must-play title in ages.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
FF7 PS1 only sold what it did on the back of a massively expensive ad campaign funded mostly by Sony, *and* a ton of what was at the time cutting edge CG, neither of which apply to FF7R in 2020. It's a good looking game in a sea of good looking games without hundreds of millions worth of advertising.

The only JRPG series to sell better than FF does (and I use this term loosely) is Pokemon. Everything else- Dragon Quest, Kingdom Hearts, Persona, Monster Hunter, MegaTen, SaGa, Xeno...are distantly, distantly behind it.

Monster hunter at least now sell way better last number was 16 million .

Hope

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Not surprised with the digital number. Alot of ppl couldn't get the physical version.

Jimmy Joe

Aug 8, 2019
and you'd be dead wrong: posting this again since some people seem to lack context:

No FF has *ever* come close to pushing 10 million copies in 5 months at full price. None. Zero. Single platform, multi-platform- height of its popularity the series was never anywhere close to moving those kinds of numbers.

FF7R if anything is vastly overperforming every other entry in the franchise. When it hits holiday season, other platforms, and the 19.99 greatest hits level as every other FF entry did to hit those lifetime numbers it will easily exceed all of these.

Comparing it to a series with broader appeal (animal crossing, TLOU, spiderman PS4) is nonsensical. FF straight up doesn't have that kind of appeal.
I'd actually be shocked if FFVIIR ends up doubling its current sales numbers, and moreso if it outsold the original game's ~12 million units. The PC release will be big, I'm sure, but aren't the legs for individual Final Fantasy releases traditionally very anemic? The only game that had ongoing legs was the original FFVII, which ended up cresting 12 million over the course of 22 years, but that had an ongoing cultural relevancy that the other games in the series have lacked

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Monster hunter at least now sell way better last number was 16 million .

As a franchise it doesn't. Monster Hunter World sold a ton of copies, but every other entry is behind what the top selling FF entries are, and FF has been selling for a lot longer.

If MH is able to pull that off for several more entries, it will pass FF.

I'd actually be shocked if FFVIIR ends up doubling its current sales numbers, and moreso if it outsold the original game's ~12 million units. The PC release will be big, I'm sure, but aren't the legs for individual Final Fantasy releases traditionally very anemic? The only game that had ongoing legs was the original FFVII, which ended up cresting 12 million over the course of 22 years, but that had an ongoing cultural relevancy that the other games in the series have lacked

FFVIIR part 1 due to the nature of this game will almost certainly get a bunch of "definitive" or "remastered" versions on PS5/XsX in addition to the vanilla release. We also haven't hit a single holiday season with the game. It will pass the PS1 FF7 pretty easily, all things considered. Does it pass 12 million? who knows. But if it does that still puts it head and shoulders above the rest of the series.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
The success of this game was never in doubt, the real question is whether or not the Final Fantasy fanbase will be more receptive to the sequels than they have been in the past.

The good thing this has going for it is that we've known from the start that this is a multi-game project and i'm confident that the next game will be even better than the first. With X-2 and the XIII sequels it was pretty obvious that they weren't planned and there was also a drop in budget and quality.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
MHW is a multiplayer action game, mainline FF games are single player and story driven, it's an apples to oranges comparison.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
As a franchise it doesn't. Monster Hunter World sold a ton of copies, but every other entry is behind what the top selling FF entries are, and FF has been selling for a lot longer.

If MH is able to pull that off for several more entries, it will pass FF.

Yeah but i thought we talk about the games now since a IP can get bigger and the past don't matter as much .
If the next MH sell more than the next FF again it would be a bigger IP currently , still not like it matter since i don't think people would call MH a JRPG.

Deleted member 41651

User-requested account closure
Banned
Apr 3, 2018
Definitely got my digital purchase. Best Buy couldn't meet the release date delivery and I couldn't wait 3 days.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Yeah but i thought we talk about the games now since a IP can get bigger and the past don't matter as much .
If the next MH sell more than the next FF again it would be a bigger IP currently , still not like it matter since i don't think people would call MH a JRPG.

That comment specifically was talking about the management of FF as a franchise, not an individual game.

Jimmy Joe

Aug 8, 2019
FFVIIR part 1 due to the nature of this game will almost certainly get a bunch of "definitive" or "remastered" versions on PS5/XsX in addition to the vanilla release. We also haven't hit a single holiday season with the game. It will pass the PS1 FF7 pretty easily, all things considered. Does it pass 12 million? who knows. But if it does that still puts it head and shoulders above the rest of the series.
If we're only comparing it to the PS1 release, does that mean you're expecting the PS4 version of FFVIIR to break 9.8 million, or are you including multiple platforms in that comparison? If the latter, that seems more than a little lopsided

Do Final Fantasy games released early in the year normally push significant numbers in the holiday? The only point of comparison I could theoretically access here is Media Create, and I think the answer is probably a pretty firm "no"

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
It's disappointing if you thought this would be a cultural phenom like the original and that it would outdo Animal Crossing. But you would be foolish to have believed that. These are good sales. Now are they great in Square Enix's eyes? I'm not sure because they sometimes have some very unrealistic expectations.

silva1991

Oct 26, 2017
I guess Sony paid 100m for the one year exclusivity deal for FFVIIR.

More than 2m sold digitally= min 120 000 000 Dollars and they kept 30% which is 36 000 000.
Sony is losing 64 000 000 million dollar!

You're having so much fun with this lol.

It'll sell 3-4m on PC alone, and will definitely sell another 2m on PS4. 5m in 4 months on a single platform vs 12m in 25 years on like 12 platforms....

I don't XV didn't even do half of that. 2-3 for both PC/Xbox seems about right.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
If we're only comparing it to the PS1 release, does that mean you're expecting the PS4 version of FFVIIR to break 9.8 million, or are you including multiple platforms in that comparison? If the latter, that seems more than a little lopsided

Different ballgame. There really only WAS one significant platform where FF7 could have shown up in the PS1 era (the original had a PC release, but it was sub 1 million IIRC). That audience for that game is more fragmented in the modern era. The reason we restrict it to the PS1 release of FF7, because if you count "all versions" of that game the digital re-releases on PSN, Steam, etc decades after the original release it inflates the sales by a lot and distorts how popular the game was in the 90s.

Do Final Fantasy games released early in the year normally push significant numbers in the holiday? The only point of comparison I could theoretically access here is Media Create, and I think the answer is probably a pretty firm "no"

Holiday sales are when most of the casual audience buys everything. Anything outside of that period is usually catering to the core and hardcore audience. Black Friday through Christmas will add significant sales to the title, but tough to say exactly how much, its a weird year with the COVID stuff.

Last edited:

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think the game will sell another 7 million copies on PS4+PC+XB1, and that was what I was talking about in my prediction.

I don't know where you're getting your numbers from, unless they've updated OG FF7 recently after all of its $5 PSN sales, which are largely irrelevant to the $50-$60 sales that FF7R is getting right now, and will continue to get when it goes to Xbox and PC.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
It's disappointing if you thought this would be a cultural phenom like the original and that it would outdo Animal Crossing. But you would be foolish to have believed that. These are good sales. Now are they great in Square Enix's eyes? I'm not sure because they sometimes have some very unrealistic expectations.

This thread was created because Square Enix is literally bragging about it's sales.

That tomb raider headline from 7 years ago from a different CEO is like the only thing people remember about Square Enix lol.

Fraxin

Oct 28, 2017
Why? what have JRPGs done to expand their appeal past what FF7 did on PS1? If anything it would be a surprise to have FF7R pass it, since the "rpg elements" that made JRPGs compelling have long since been integrated into every other genre and are no longer unique.

Hell, God of War PS4 has a far stronger narrative than any FF ever made and that's considered a straight up action game.

there is no coherent reason to believe that FF7R should be pushing 10 million copies in less than half a year without a discount. It's a flat out unreasonable position and completely at odds with where the market actually is for that game or any game in the genre.

Sorry that's totally subjective.

I think FF tactics has a better story.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Sorry that's totally subjective.

I think FF tactics has a better story.

You'd be in the minority on that, especially if you're talking about the original PS1 release. The localization on that was so bad the game was nearly incoherent. Comparing THAT game to the extremely well crafted, well acted, and well developed cast and dialogue of GOW PS4 is laughable.

Jimmy Joe

Aug 8, 2019
Different ballgame. There really only WAS one significant platform where FF7 could have shown up in the PS1 era (the original had a PC release, but it was sub 1 million IIRC). That audience is more fragmented in the modern era. The reason we restrict it to the PS1 release of FF7, because if you count "all versions" of that game the digital re-releases on PSN, Steam, etc decades after the original release it inflates the sales by a lot and distorts how popular the game was in the 90s
The Windows version of the game was pretty popular and released in... I think it was June of '98? We don't have a sales breakdown for that version, though, so it's impossible to say how well the "initial release" of FF7 did, since those numbers only ever describe the PSX version.

Regardless: I think your expectations for the first part of FF7R are too high, but you're right we won't have a clean idea until after the holiday. That said? Keep an eye on those charts: if it doesn't show up in the top 30 for Media Create or the released numbers for NPD, you can put to bed the idea of the PS4 version having bigger legs than the rest of the series

KamenRiderEra

Oct 25, 2017
This is not really good.

This is the most requested remake of all time, of one of the most beloved games of all time, and it needed 4 months to sell what a new entry sold in 3 days?

It's not because of COVID. Other games have been breaking records.

It's not because of exclusivity. It's not like XV sold that much on XBOX to justify the huge difference.

I think they failed to communicate the whole "episodic" nature of it. I know that some people think it's a Walking Dead kind of deal, but I doubt they would make a significant number given that it's named "Final Fantasy VII Remake" and all.

I'm sure it will hit much higher numbers eventually once it's on PS5 & PC... but.. yeah.

5M isn't bad for now... but SE are idiots if they weren't expecting more from the remake of Final Fantasy VII.
Most beloved game of all time with 10 million sales in the original release... In 10 years. Sorry but you are delusional. Jrpgs never had COD sales (barring pokemon). 7 remake is poised to be the most successful FF.

Fraxin

Oct 28, 2017
You'd be in the minority on that, especially if you're talking about the original PS1 release. The localization on that was so bad the game was nearly incoherent.

The War of the Lions version is better.

Honestly, I think War of the Lions is probably one of the best localizations I've seen from Square next to VS, FFXII and Tactics Ogre.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
The Windows version of the game was pretty popular and released in... I think it was June of '98? We don't have a sales breakdown for that version, though, so it's impossible to say how well the "initial release" of FF7 did, since those numbers only ever describe the PSX version.

they've been around before- it's somewhere less than a million units for the original, boxed PC release. PC wasn't really a huge platform for console type games in 1998.

Regardless: I think your expectations for the first part of FF7R are too high, but you're right we won't have a clean idea until after the holiday. That said? Keep an eye on those charts: if it doesn't show up in the top 30 for Media Create or the released numbers for NPD, you can put to bed the idea of the PS4 version having bigger legs than the rest of the series

Why would I look at NPD or Media Create when the overwhelming amount of PS4 consoles aren't sold in either territory?

ggx2ac

Sales Heaven or Sales Hell?
Oct 25, 2017
Right now the game is selling as fast and the last main line one without SE stuffing the shelves and at a higher price.

And the game would be selling faster if it was available on more platforms... You're not making a good point here.

As for Sony getting a bargain we can't be certain unless we had a idea of the deal.

Yeah, maybe it was better than the Rise of the Tomb Raider deal with Xbox where its sequel ended up having no timed exclusive deal.

We'll probably never know, oh well.

It's not like FF selling a big amount on XB

It's not as if the game being multiplatform meant that it would have sold less on PS4. It's a single player action jrpg that can be played offline.

and i think the PC port would have come later so they get people to double dip.

Wow, having to post this again:

Daily reminder that double dipping is not a thing that publishers do.

They look for a new audience to sell their games to, you being one out of a thousand people that rebuys a game on another platform doesn't tell publishers that you are who they should target.

Jimmy Joe

Aug 8, 2019
they've been around before- it's somewhere less than a million units for the original, boxed PC release. PC wasn't really a huge platform for console type games in 1998.

Why would I look at NPD or Media Create when the overwhelming amount of PS4 consoles aren't sold in either territory?
Because the vast majority of Final Fantasy 7 Remake copies were.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Because the vast majority of Final Fantasy 7 Remake copies were.

..so far. COVID does weird things to game sales numbers and that title hit right when the US went into extreme lockdown. The rest of the world wasn't really in that boat as they managed the crisis better.

FF doesn't usually sell REALLY well in the US and JP and next to nothing in EU. I expect as we get through the holiday season that sales for that title will eventually become more proportionate.

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I guess Sony paid 100m for the one year exclusivity deal for FFVIIR.

More than 2m sold digitally= min 120 000 000 Dollars and they kept 30% which is 36 000 000.
Sony is losing 64 000 000 million dollar!
tenor.gif

Swift_Gamer

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
and you'd be dead wrong: posting this again since some people seem to lack context:

No FF has *ever* come close to pushing 10 million copies in 5 months at full price. None. Zero. Single platform, multi-platform- height of its popularity the series was never anywhere close to moving those kinds of numbers.

FF7R if anything is vastly overperforming every other entry in the franchise. When it hits holiday season, other platforms, and the 19.99 greatest hits level as every other FF entry did to hit those lifetime numbers it will easily exceed all of these.

Comparing it to a series with broader appeal (animal crossing, TLOU, spiderman PS4) is nonsensical. FF straight up doesn't have that kind of appeal.
I'm convinced people in this site want the game to fail and are trying hard to make it seem the case and I find that pretty sad.

Jimmy Joe

Aug 8, 2019
..so far. COVID does weird things to game sales numbers and that title hit right when the US went into extreme lockdown. The rest of the world wasn't really in that boat as they managed the crisis better.

FF doesn't usually sell REALLY well in the US and JP and next to nothing in EU. I expect as we get through the holiday season that sales for that title will eventually become more proportionate.
Has there ever been a case where a game that sold relatively low in the first half of the year ended up selling spectacularly during its first holiday, over 6 months later? Much less a JRPG? I'm trying to see where this expectation is coming from but coming up short

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
The only JRPG series to sell better than FF does (and I use this term loosely) is Pokemon. Everything else- Dragon Quest, Kingdom Hearts, Persona, Monster Hunter, MegaTen, SaGa, Xeno...are distantly, distantly behind it.
Not really an RPG but Monster Hunter sales potential per title is way past FF now as the biggest Japanese third party franchise since MHW. Weird to list it as "distantly behind"!

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
I'm convinced people in this site want the game to fail and are trying hard to make it seem the case and I find that pretty sad.

I think it's more along the lines of just not having a realistic idea of how JRPGs usually sell. FF has never really been the kind of game that does the numbers TLOU or Animal Crossing are right now. Someone else even said the original FF7 PS1 was a "phenomenon" while this one wasn't- but sales of the two titles honestly aren't all that different after 5 months.

Has there ever been a case where a game that sold relatively low in the first half of the year ended up selling spectacularly during its first holiday, over 6 months later? Much less a JRPG? I'm trying to see where this expectation is coming from but coming up short

FF7R sales are not "relatively low" at all. They're at franchise highs. And yes, longer tails do happen, especially when the game hasn't had significant price drops or seen a holiday season yet. The game will do fine, and should pass FF7 PS1 without a problem once it goes multiplatform.

Not really an RPG but Monster Hunter sales potential per title is way past FF now as the biggest Japanese third party franchise since MHW. Weird to list it as "distantly behind"!

Again- that comment was specifically referring to FF as a "franchise" vs. everything else "as a franchise." monster hunter world sold very well, but FF has more entries with higher sales over a longer period of time. Monster Hunter isn't quite there yet, but likely will be if it continues in the direction its in. And yes, monster hunter world is pretty far from what I would call a JRPG- it's a multiplayer loot based game with a paper thin narrative that isn't at all similar to the single player story driven content that FF7 is.

That's the last time I'll comment on this.

Last edited:

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
That's fantastic. Game has kept its price really high too from what I could tell, only got a decent sale these recent days.

Also not surprised to see some insane takes here lol

Proc

Oct 25, 2017
I thought it was fantastic overall and I'm happy to see their success, which means we'll get more :)

Jimmy Joe

Aug 8, 2019
FF7R sales are not "relatively low" at all. They're at franchise highs. And yes, longer tails do happen, especially when the game hasn't had significant price drops or seen a holiday season yet. The game will do fine, and should pass FF7 PS1 without a problem once it goes multiplatform.
I hesitated to use the phrasing I did, but you are the one who suggested that European sales of the game were "next to nothing" in the first place and that you expect the holidays to make up the difference compared to other territories.

Longer tails certainly happen, but I don't htink it's ever been the case for single releases of Final Fantasy since the original FFVII, and that game did not have the kind of tail that would be necessary to make European numbers stand side-by-side with US numbers. The specific shape you're talking about just hasn't happened to the best of my knowledge, though if you have specific examples I'd be happy to be corrected

The game's already done fine; that's not a question. It's a grand success. The confidence that its legs in the coming holiday will see a significant boost in sales, though, seems erroneous