Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I don't think anyone seriously expected the remake of Final Fantasy VII to celebrate 5M 4 months after its release, but maybe I was just overestimating it.

This is the thing, enthusiast fans have been overestimating this Remake, probably because how long it took to be made. They expected it to be the holy grail of gaming... but this is with a vision of the gaming landscape that is outdated to 2020.

A lot of the current customers, don't care that much for the Final Fantasy IP, they also don't care about the jRPG genre... hell, they have 0 nostalgia abut FF7 because they weren't even born.

It's an important game but the overhyping of this remake reached a point that ended up being more "mythical" than real, if it makes sense.

Jurec84

Oct 27, 2017
Well, they must be happy if they brag about this online ... if they weren't they would be silent, like with KH3.

Chaserjoey

Keeper of the White Materia
Oct 27, 2017
Well, they must be happy if they brag about this online ... if they weren't they would be silent, like with KH3.
?

LOS ANGELES (Feb. 4, 2019) – SQUARE ENIX® proudly announces that KINGDOM HEARTS III, the latest mainline entry in the beloved action RPG series, has shipped more than five million units globally, both physically and digitally, across all platforms since its January 29 release, making it the fastest selling game in the history of the series.

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
the brand power of Final Fantasy guarantees 5 million sales this will get 7-8 million easy by the end of its run.

Simon-chan

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
If Square isn't stupid they'll put un upgraded version on PS5 on day one (and possibly a free patch for existing owners).
But after the DQXIS fiasco, I'm not willing to bet on it.

ggx2ac

Sales Heaven or Sales Hell?
Oct 25, 2017
In my opinion, FF7R would have sold a lot better if it wasn't a timed exclusive.

Yes, Square Enix made a deal with Sony to make the game exclusive on PS4 for one year.

On the other hand, this deal was made long before COVID-19 happened which means that Square Enix didn't account for nest demand.

Which means that Sony ended up with a bargain.

Maybe the effects of COVID-19 and nest demand could still be significant in April 2021 once the timed exclusivity is over but this year had barely any competition regarding new AAA third party games released because of this gen winding down while next gen is coming.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
In my opinion, FF7R would have sold a lot better if it wasn't a timed exclusive.

Yes, Square Enix made a deal with Sony to make the game exclusive on PS4 for one year.

On the other hand, this deal was made long before COVID-19 happened which means that Square Enix didn't account for nest demand.

Which means that Sony ended up with a bargain.

Maybe the effects of COVID-19 and nest demand could still be significant in April 2021 once the timed exclusivity is over but this year had barely any competition regarding new AAA third party games released because of this gen winding down while next gen is coming.

SE like to over shipped stuff can't do that during COVID .

Death Penalty

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
10 million is a distinct possibility for this title with PC/Xbox ports, a re-release, and a DLC boost or a boost from hype for the sequel.

Jan 2, 2018
The original sold 9.3 million copies in ~6 years. You think this won't hit that ?
At the pace it's going, it seems it might do that no? Especially with the PC and xbox ports coming.

I was talking about the combined sales of FF VII, so around 11 million? And no, I don't think the Remake can achieve that.

Not that I necessary believe it will, but the number in the OP isn't proof of that. There are also PC/Xbox releases next year.
I don't say that this game is a flop, it clearly isn't. But I don't think 5 million in 4 month is particular impressive for the most requested remake of one of the biggest RPGs of all time, to be honest.

Carmelozi

Banned
Nov 6, 2017

Raigor

May 14, 2020
This reminds me of Nier Automata, excellent sales, but still no patch to fix the graphical issues.

That's a given, if they did a day and date release including Xbox One and PC they will probably be at 7 million plus, mostly thanks to COVID. But still it's a good result.

Sia

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 9, 2020
Canada
I just hope the second part releases with less problems.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
I was talking about the combined sales of FF VII, so around 11 million? And no, I don't think the Remake can achieve that.

Guess we will find out in a few decades lol.
Cause after the parts out they will put them together and they will be port them every where and even stream in the next few years .
So we might also never know.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
Y91IAfI.jpg

Good numbers, especially since it was only released on PS4, in a rough period.

The rough period...was rough for everyone but not the gaming industry.

COVID pushed sales for a lot of games in the first months of 2020, it was a ""blessing"" for publishers pockets.

Jan 2, 2018
Guess we will find out in a few decades lol.
Cause after the parts out they will put them together and they will be port them every where and even stream in the next few years .
So we might also never know.

lol, yeah, if they release this on every new console for the next decades it's possible, but that wasn't the original talking point.
Some people expected that the PS4 release would suffice, and some people said PS4+XB1+PC would do, but I don't think that will push it over 11 million. Perhaps with a XBX and PS5 versions, but at that point it needed too much versions so that wouldn't be impressive.

Oct 27, 2017
Expected. I think it probably met Square's expectations and maybe slightly exceeded but wasn't above them by too much. I think you could tell sales had been largely front-loaded by its almost immediate disappearance in charts. I personally loved the game and overall so did the critics, but there is a lot they can improve in part 2. I suspect when all is said and done and this launches to PC, PS5, XSX, XBO they will make up a good few additional sales. Also, let's not forget this is a JRPG series and still the biggest (barring Pokémon) and these sales are great in the context of platform exclusivity and genre.

Aug 4, 2020
Congrats to SE! I know fan expectations were high sales wise due to the massive hype (I still watch those Gametrailers and other reactions from 2015 from time to time) but the landscape has changed since then.

I'll probably pick it up later on down the line. Not as into JRPGs nowadays.

Deleted member 35509

Account closed at user request
Banned
Dec 6, 2017
That doesn't seem so great for something so massively anticipated and years in development. Plus they used the wording of shipped instead of sold.

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
JRPGs are very much front loaded but will only get another shot in the arm when there's either a PS5 upgrade or Part 2 is released for those saying it's disappointing (although I think the sales seem really good, only the game was a disappointment).

Anoxida

Oct 30, 2017

I'd be very suprised if this doesnt lifetime over 12 million. It'll hit 7 on ps4 alone, pc ps5 and xbox will ensure another 5 during the years especially with sales and renewed interest when part 2 releases.

Swift_Gamer

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
This is not really good.

This is the most requested remake of all time, of one of the most beloved games of all time, and it needed 4 months to sell what a new entry sold in 3 days?

It's not because of COVID. Other games have been breaking records.

It's not because of exclusivity. It's not like XV sold that much on XBOX to justify the huge difference.

I think they failed to communicate the whole "episodic" nature of it. I know that some people think it's a Walking Dead kind of deal, but I doubt they would make a significant number given that it's named "Final Fantasy VII Remake" and all.

I'm sure it will hit much higher numbers eventually once it's on PS5 & PC... but.. yeah.

5M isn't bad for now... but SE are idiots if they weren't expecting more from the remake of Final Fantasy VII.
Square is saying is good. They know better than you.
Stop downplaying this because you want it to fail.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
These are great numbers. The people talking crazy about it reaching Animal Crossing numbers completely skewed this board's expectations.

plow

Oct 28, 2017
This is objectively false though.

What do you mean?

FINAL FANTASY® VII, released on January 1st, 1997 for the PlayStation®, reached sales of 4 million in Japan alone (including FINAL FANTASY VII International). It went on to achieve sales of 5.8 million units in North America and Europe, bringing total worldwide sales to a monumental 9.8million. (Latest sales figures from December 2005.)

Don't think it's ludicrous to think it sold another 200k in 2 years. But yeah, could be a reach. But it's close to 10.

Wise

Oct 27, 2017
People likely had astronomical expectations. Major entries in the FF series usually land in the 5 to 10 million range, which is exactly where FF7R is - it'll gain some sales once it's on other formats, so I think it has to be judged a success on that front. People expecting it to outsell AC: New Horizons life-time were smoking some fun stuff. 12 million was the absolute floor for New Horizons, and it cleared it within 6 weeks. But that doesn't belittle FF7R's success - outside of Pokemon, which other JRPG clears 5 million with ease?
Ring Fit Adventure, that's who

I thought it was a mostly very good game (FF7R).
Kingdom hearts and i think dragon quest but I'm not sure

plow

Oct 28, 2017
They both achieve around 5 million as an upper limit, I think, rather than selling beyond it - but no doubt after Pokemon and Final Fantasy, they're the commercially largest JRPG franchises.

Do Souls Games and Monster Hunter count as JRPG?

FFVII was also available on PC, wasn't it?

Yes it sold about a Million on PC. Considering the teyt stated only the PS Version, i thouht it only included PS numbers.

Deleted member 66837

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 24, 2020
People likely had astronomical expectations. Major entries in the FF series usually land in the 5 to 10 million range, which is exactly where FF7R is - it'll gain some sales once it's on other formats, so I think it has to be judged a success on that front. People expecting it to outsell AC: New Horizons life-time were smoking some fun stuff. 12 million was the absolute floor for New Horizons, and it cleared it within 6 weeks. But that doesn't belittle FF7R's success - outside of Pokemon, which other JRPG clears 5 million with ease?
Ring Fit Adventure, that's who

I thought it was a mostly very good game (FF7R).
Seriously especially when the original took 10 years to get in the 10-13m. 5m in four months is a great performance especially on single platform. Even when compared to XV which took 3 years to get to 9m plus having multiple DLCs. The downplaying is silly

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
But I don't get it... If the results are only out today how this person created a thread like that yesterday?
There was thread about SE financial reports prior to the thread. Probably estimated FFVIIR LTD based of that. Which seemed to be 5 million like SE is saying right now.

think the OP expected much more or something f.