• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 58141

user requested account closure
Banned
Jun 23, 2019
Square is saying is good. They know better than you.
Stop downplaying this because you want it to fail.

Most beloved game of all time with 10 million sales in the original release... In 10 years. Sorry but you are delusional. Jrpgs never had COD sales (barring pokemon). 7 remake is poised to be the most successful FF.

Square Enix is bragging about the sales.

Trustworthy insiders are saying that Square is so happy that It has expanded the scope of the next game.

You are wrong. It is very good.

You all are being weird and needlessly aggressive.

All I said is that I find it weird and disappointing for the remake of Final Fantasy VII to lag behind games like FFXV and KH3 shipments wise, since it's supposed to be a much bigger deal than those games. I don't think it's that nonsensical of a claim to make.

Other posters respectfully disagreed and pointed out stuff like discounts and the fact that XV released in holiday season, which I haven't considered, and made for good discussion.

Claiming that I'm delusional, want the game to fail, and that I have no right to give my two cents since the company is publicly bragging about the sales, isn't respectful nor it makes for a good discussion.

Necron

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
Good numbers (considering that most were at launch). Once it's released on further platforms (i.e. PC and Xbox) it'll probably reach around 7-8 million eventually.
Then factor in a next-gen edition once part II come out, then we're looking at pretty good sales for a FF title.

Jul 26, 2018

All I said is that I find it weird and disappointing for the remake of Final Fantasy VII to lag behind games like FFXV and KH3 shipments wise, since it's supposed to be a much bigger deal than those games. I don't think it's that nonsensical of a claim to make.

Other posters respectfully disagreed and pointed out stuff like discounts and the fact that XV released in holiday season, which I haven't considered, and made for good discussion.

Claiming that I'm delusional, want the game to fail, and that I have no right to give my two cents since the company is publicly bragging about the sales, isn't respectful nor it makes for a good discussion.
Another thing to consider is that XV and KH3 seem to have over shipped and VII has pretty much sold through its physical units and the insanely high digital ratio means more money for Square

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
I hesitated to use the phrasing I did, but you are the one who suggested that European sales of the game were "next to nothing" in the first place and that you expect the holidays to make up the difference compared to other territories.

Longer tails certainly happen, but I don't htink it's ever been the case for single releases of Final Fantasy since the original FFVII, and that game did not have the kind of tail that would be necessary to make European numbers stand side-by-side with US numbers. The specific shape you're talking about just hasn't happened to the best of my knowledge, though if you have specific examples I'd be happy to be corrected

The game's already done fine; that's not a question. It's a grand success. The confidence that its legs in the coming holiday will see a significant boost in sales, though, seems erroneous

Sales for that title are unusually US/JP heavy, where that's not typical of PS titles. usually US/EU sales are somewhat on par. They're not- because COVID is distorting game sales heavily in the US. it will take a longer period of time to see how sales for FF7R will play out in non US/JP territories. That's why "wait for the holidays" makes sense. You can't point to another year for a similar sales curve because there IS no year like this one.

Despite that (or because of it, it's difficult to say) this game is tracking as well as the original FF7 release did on PS1- despite the playstation splitting the US market with the Xbox (the N64 was not as strong a competitor and had zero percent of the jrpg market, unless you want to count quest 64, which you shouldn't).

The PS4 version should sell several million more copies before the end of the year as we drop the price significantly, get into holiday season, and yes- the game shows up on Steam and Xbox which it eventually will. This game will *absolutely, positively* also end up getting some kind of remastered or definitive release to take advantage of the capabilities of the PS5 and XsX.

So yeah, wait for the holidays to catch up, EU sales to normalize with US ones, and for the multiplatform and definitive editions to release. It will definitely pass the PS1 FF7, though by how much its too early to say.

Jimmy Joe

Aug 8, 2019

I think that people's expectations were probably out of proportion to the game. Square's expectations probably weren't that the game would perform as well as XV, since remakes never (or, at least, exceedingly rarely) perform as well as new releases, so that it came within throwing distance of that game is probably well outside of what they predicted

Jimmy Joe

Aug 8, 2019
Despite that (or because of it, it's difficult to say) this game is tracking as well as the original FF7 release did on PS1- despite the playstation splitting the US market with the Xbox (the N64 was not as strong a competitor and had zero percent of the jrpg market, unless you want to count quest 64, which you shouldn't).
Whoa, whoa, hey, whoa

Hey

In this house, the N64 JRPG we respect is Ogre Battle 64: Person of Lordly Caliber

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
Square Enix gave it the time, money, and resources that a mainline game would get, and it's getting the sales that a mainline game would get, and when it gets ported to PC and Xbox it will very likely exceed the sales that any mainline game has gotten.

I really don't see what there is to talk about. The more interesting question is how the sequels will do.

Deleted member 58141

user requested account closure
Banned
Jun 23, 2019
Another thing to consider is that XV and KH3 seem to have over shipped and VII has pretty much sold through its physical units and the insanely high digital ratio means more money for Square

I don't know about XV overshipping, since it shipped an extra million by December 2016, and another one during 2017. The total shipments by Jan 2018 were 7M. I agree that 2M digital copies @ full price are impressive and maybe made for the difference.

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
I think that people's expectations were probably out of proportion to the game. Square's expectations probably weren't that the game would perform as well as XV, since remakes never (or, at least, exceedingly rarely) perform as well as new releases, so that it came within throwing distance of that game is probably well outside of what they thought

The expectation that the game would outperform the flagship entries for the series was probably not one that Square shared

I think it's pretty naïf to compare FFVII Remake with your standard remake.

This was marketed as the biggest Square games of the past few years and FFVII is not only one of the most popular and revered games of all time... It was also one of the best-selling ones at that time—popularity also grew thanks to multiple rereleases. (I would like to add that sales of the original game vastly underestimates its popularity as the game was shared, bought secondhand and pirated a lot as many other PS1 games).

To be honest I was expecting much more given the fact that AAA threshold is higher and higher and PS4 is a wildly popular platform. Sales are good but not as a good as I would have expected for such a remake.

Recent example of remake selling better than the original game: Xenoblade Chronicles on Switch.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI

Why did you quote me in this reply? There was absolutely nothing weird, disrespectful or "aggressive" about my post.

I said nothing close to what you described here.

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017
I think that people's expectations were probably out of proportion to the game. Square's expectations probably weren't that the game would perform as well as XV, since remakes never (or, at least, exceedingly rarely) perform as well as new releases, so that it came within throwing distance of that game is probably well outside of what they predicted
If this is true, I think that SE is out of tune with the overseas market. Few Japanese games had more hype than FFVII remake. Perhaps this explain why it took so long to make one.... and why this was chosen for an exclusive game.

Jimmy Joe

Aug 8, 2019
I think it's pretty naïf to compare FFVII Remake with your standard remake.

This was marketed as the biggest Square games of the past few years and FFVII is not only one of the most popular and revered games of all time... It was also one of the best-selling ones at that time—popularity also grew thanks to multiple rereleases.

To be honest I was expecting much more given the fact that AAA threshold is higher and higher and PS4 is a wildly popular platform. Sales are good but not as a good as I would have expected for such a remake.
Word is that it surpassed Square's internal expectations, though, so that seems pretty open-and-shut: it's outdone their expectations and changed how they're looking at the sequel

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Whoa, whoa, hey, whoa

Hey

In this house, the N64 JRPG we respect is Ogre Battle 64: Person of Lordly Caliber

Ok, freely admit I forgot about that one but come ON.

It also just occurred to me that the second US stimulus package should hit somewhere around september at this rate- so who knows what this is going to do with US holiday game sales. That's thousands of dollars per household for spending that usually isn't there.

Blackage

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People keep forgetting KH3 & FFXV shipped on 2 consoles.

I'm sure if FFVII was on Xbox we'd see it at 6-6.5 milly.

Hopefully it's not a PS4 exclusive for too long, more people need to experience this game.

Jencks

Oct 25, 2017
Great sales for a great game. What's with all the people trying to downplay this news?

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
Selling 2 million digitally means the game sold over 3 million at retail.

828ed6badaf7e9cd967531182f308ea6a89c6451_hq.gif

Sasaud

Oct 28, 2017
I think people are also forgetting that a lot of the sales were from the special editions especially for a game that is loved like FF7, if you add that to the high digital sales i would think it already surpassed FF15.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
Great sales for a great game. What's with all the people trying to downplay this news?

Final Fantasy is a very divisive franchise. The more successful you are, the longer you've been around, the more potential for you to offend someone somehow.

The very nature of the franchise is to change, when can burn old fans, it also has jumped platforms in a way that has linked it to system wars bullshit.

Shadow_FFVI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 30, 2017
Is it on pace to outsell FF XV?

I hoped for more. It's a big budget game released on a huge install base. Hopefully it has long legs.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Congratulations, SE! Those are some nice numbers!

My thread was immediately locked after the attack of the fanboys that couldn't even argue with the data. I'm not sure if it is worth discussing Final Fantasy sales here apart from the Media Create thread.

Your thread was immediately locked because it was "built on a faulty premise". Sales of FFVII R are very obviously not disappointing. Why would you come into this thread to double down on that assertion?

CrazyDude

Oct 25, 2017
I would get it, but people have turned me off getting it because it seems the only way I'll enjoy it is if I play the original. Since I have no time for that, I'm just skipping this game.

Oct 25, 2017
My thread was immediately locked after the attack of the fanboys that couldn't even argue with the data. I'm not sure if it is worth discussing Final Fantasy sales here apart from the Media Create thread.

To the facts:
- The numbers are worse than FFXV. You can argue XV was multi, thus a higher install base. But in fact, the current PS4 install base is higher than PS4 + Xbox at 2016 launch.
- FF XV is not particularly a success from Square's perspective (they usually have unrealistic expectations) and was canceled before the story was finished with planned story DLCs.
- In Japan, XV and then 7R continued the trend towards fewer sales over each new title. The game didn't capture the old public (huge difference between original and remake sales).

My main point on the other thread was: How will Square deal with Part 2 in a new system will a small userbase?

Your thread got locked because it was terrible. This is the fastest-selling platform exclusive JRPG outside of Pokemon. There's no realistic universe where that is considered disappointing.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
This is not really good.

This is the most requested remake of all time, of one of the most beloved games of all time, and it needed 4 months to sell what a new entry sold in 3 days?

It's not because of COVID. Other games have been breaking records.

It's not because of exclusivity. It's not like XV sold that much on XBOX to justify the huge difference.

I think they failed to communicate the whole "episodic" nature of it. I know that some people think it's a Walking Dead kind of deal, but I doubt they would make a significant number given that it's named "Final Fantasy VII Remake" and all.

I'm sure it will hit much higher numbers eventually once it's on PS5 & PC... but.. yeah.

5M isn't bad for now... but SE are idiots if they weren't expecting more from the remake of Final Fantasy VII.
The remake/reimagining thing is hard to convey. Also
'Remake' means remaking the story, challenging destiny, it's not really a remake... unless they bail from that idea. [\spoiler]

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Saying these sales are "disappointing" is the same level of trying to say TLOU2 sales are. Animal crossing and Mario Kart and GTAV have really warped things.

TheOther

Jan 10, 2019
Texas
Selling 5 millions copies in 4 months is disappointing. Lol tough crowd
Well, I mean, it IS Square-Enix.

www.eurogamer.net

Tomb Raider has sold 3.4 million copies, failed to hit expectations

3.4 million copies of Tomb Raider have been sold in four weeks, publisher Square Enix has revealed, which is not enough…

3.4 million copies of Tomb Raider have been sold in four weeks, publisher Square Enix has revealed, which is not enough to hit the game's sales target.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
Well, I mean, it IS Square-Enix.

www.eurogamer.net

Tomb Raider has sold 3.4 million copies, failed to hit expectations

3.4 million copies of Tomb Raider have been sold in four weeks, publisher Square Enix has revealed, which is not enough…

They were smoking some good ass weed if they thought 3.4 million copies in 4 WEEKS were not enough.

And now they are happy with 4 million in 5 months.

EDIT. i just googled and they said this in 2017

www.pcgamesn.com

Square Enix CEO says the company’s Tomb Raider sales targets were “extremely high”

The Tomb Raider reboot in 2013 was pretty successful, but it famously failed to meet Square Enix’s internal sales targets, despite pushing over 3.4 million units in its early days and going on to become the best-selling game in series history. You might say that the publisher’s expectations for

NO FUCKING SHIT

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It isn't. FF XV shipped 5 millions within 3 days. This is after 4 months.

The main difference is PS4 alone versus PS4+Xbone and FFXV releasing in december (so higher potential sales due to holidays)

Also worth noting that XV and VIIR are also the only ones with a simultaneous release. Even FFXIII was released 4 months earlier in Japan.

Descendant

Fallen Guardian
Nov 2, 2017
5 million is really good for a JRPG on one platform. I think it can sell a bit more on PS4, and then if it ports over to PS5, XSX, X1, and PC...it can easily be the best selling single player Final Fantasy of all time.