Anustart

9 Million Scovilles
Avenger
Nov 12, 2017
Early on Jobs like Geomancer can hit them with their magic and not cause them to divide. Black Belt can sometimes 1HKO if they're strong enough, definitely if you spend a turn to buff their attack. And Dark Knight is tailor-made to kill them, but you need their equipment first.

Haven't found any weapons yet for DK :(

Oct 25, 2017
I'm gonna say the opposite with "yes" lol. Two swords Firion who does nothing but swords is extremely powerful. Everyone else you should probably have a shield or nothing.

Yeah lol
I've played FFII 5 times, and I always dual wield with everybody except Maria.
Swords for Firion, Axes for Guy, Spears for Leon.
It always works out great.

Rpgmonkey

Oct 25, 2017
I had no idea the Onion Equipment was in the original FF3! That's amazing. Does it boost up Onion Knights to be endgame viable do you know? Or is it just powerful equipment any job can use.

Man I'm so excited to jump into this properly.

I don't know how much changed in the PR yet but in the original game the Onion equipment was one of the few gear sets Onion Knights could equip as sort of an easter egg (they're pretty useless otherwise), and generally had the best Attack/Defense/Magic Defense stats by a good margin. It was a rare drop from rare Dragon enemies in the last dungeon.

If they didn't change things, they also have really insane stat growth as you get close to level 99.

Deleted member 81119

User-requested account closure
Banned
Sep 19, 2020
I don't know how much changed in the PR yet but in the original game the Onion equipment was one of the few gear sets Onion Knights could equip as sort of an easter egg (they're pretty useless otherwise), and generally had the best Attack/Defense/Magic Defense stats by a good margin. It was a rare drop from rare Dragon enemies in the last dungeon.

If they didn't change things, they also have really insane stat growth as you get close to level 99.
That's amazing, thanks for the response. I think I might do what Hecht is doing too then. That's a really cool little piece of side content.

Oct 25, 2017
I can't even imagine farming dragons without that 100% spawn area that was in III DS.
Getting full sets for everybody even with that took many hours.
And with no optional endgame content, there's little motivation to do it either.

CO_Andy

Oct 25, 2017
the white mage class is basically no fun allowed in FF1

i'm midway thru the game and she can't even defeat a beginning enemy in a single attack

enhancement spells going to the black mage... what were they thinking?

Anustart

9 Million Scovilles
Avenger
Nov 12, 2017
You can get drops from enemies in FF3? Don't know if I've ever seen that lol.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
Do I unequip everything including the staff from my monk in FF1? I unequipped everything.

Last edited:

bmfrosty

Oct 27, 2017
SF Bay Area
Are there youtube videos for music playback mode of all three games? Would like to listen while working, and would prefer to not have to have my other laptop open so I can have the game running while I work.

Oct 25, 2017
Fine. For $9cdn I guess I'm in! Looking forward to finally actually playing FF1. Only ever tinkered with the NES version back in the early 90s.

TradedHats

Mar 8, 2018
Did they make the Crystal Tower/World of Darkness a bit less of a marathon in this version of 3? Like did they finally add a save point? :P

No actual "saves", but as said above, there's a quick save, and the crystals giving you HP/MP is really generous. Makes it pretty easy to get to the end with full HP and MP.

Jota typeZERO

Nov 3, 2017
Spain
Got FF I PR beaten in two days. My team was the canon one: WAR, THF, WHM, BLM It was quite slow at the beginning, but after Astos it got really smooth, with Auto-Battle. I broke the sequence quite a bit, though. I decided to get the airship before Mount Gulug, so I got quite overpowered for the rest of the game. The only hard battle at that point was against the Warmech. Also, using the magic from the weapons and accessories was a life-changer, especially when fighting bosses. Haste and Temper made wonders against Chaos. After finishing it, I almost got crazy in the 15 Puzzle but at least the achievements are done.
I didn't mind that the sprite work was LCD-centric and (yeah) inspired by Record Keeper and the FF Dot book. It looks nicer when using Reshade and the converted CRT shaders from Libretro, in my case easymode and Geom did the good work. Oh, and the arranged soundtrack is really great, I could expect a complete soundtrack release of all the 6 games.
So yeah, it is plausible to beat the at ~10 hours, even more if you want the rare enemies. Now I am not sure if getting FF II first (although it is quite broken judging from the comments in this thread) or jumping directly to III.

adz2ka

Nov 1, 2017
I'm reading conflicting advice on FF2.
Some sites are saying one character with a shield as evasion is OP end game, and others are saying full dual wield all the way.

Also FF2 low key best world map music out of the early games.

Aru

Oct 28, 2017
Started FF2 earlier than I expected, following RPGSite's mini walkthrough. So far it's easier than FF1. But I don't want to play the entire game following a guide, it's annoying, so I'll use it less often now I think. I like it more than the Origins version I didn't ever bother to finish back then.

I guess I played Monk wrong in FF1 because I thought that class was useless, and basically I wanted to have another Warrior instead. I guess giving him Tonfas was a bad idea, I should have gone weaponless.

Last edited:

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Cruising through FF2, haven't needed to grind at all. Just did the Dreadnought

PepsimanVsJoe

Oct 26, 2017
I guess I played Monk wrong in FF1 because I thought that class was useless, and basically I wanted to have another Warrior instead. I guess giving him Tonfas was a bad idea, I should have go weaponless.
Yeah that's one thing I wish FF1 was more transparent about. In Melmond, there should've been a monk NPC walking around. When you talk to him he'll say something to the effect of "I've trained my body to the point where it is now stronger than any weapon or armor."

Although, honestly that line isn't great either, since there are armor pieces (Protect Rings & Ribbons) that Monks absolutely should wear.

Oct 25, 2017

i'm midway thru the game and she can't even defeat a beginning enemy in a single attack

WHM isn't an attacker, so they'll never fill that role. Best to think of them as pure support, not just with spells but with item usage (especially those that have spells tied to them, such as the Defender, Healing Staff, or Thor's Hammer). I didn't run a WAR, so she was basically my main or secondary tank in the mid- to late- game since she had either the second highest DEF and/or HP pool in my run. Had her defend and soak up damage if she didn't need to heal the party or use an item.

SpoonyGundam

Nov 18, 2018
Some sites are saying one character with a shield as evasion is OP end game, and others are saying full dual wield all the way.

Agility growth is tied to your evasion%, so if you dual wield the entire game, that stat will be fairly stagnant.

I'd go a step further and say the best thing to do in this version is to use two shields, since you can still punch with those now. You eventually want to move to weapon + shield then dual wielding as your stats and skill levels allow you to maintain 99% evade without needing a shield.

TradedHats

Mar 8, 2018
Started FF2 earlier than I expected, following RPGSite's mini walkthrough. So far it's easier than FF1. But I don't want to play the entire game following a guide, it's annoying, so I'll use it less often now I think. I like it more than the Origins version I didn't ever bother to finish back then.

I played through FF2 last year and definitely needed a guide. Same with when I played FF1 a couple years ago. Just played through 3 and never felt the need to look up any stuff about it. I don't know if that's because of the ease of playing through the Pixel Remasters, or just improvements from game to game. Am interested if I would have needed guides for 1 and 2 if I had played these version.

Jakenbakin

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Jun 17, 2018
I'm using a guide when I don't know where to go in 2, because I learned from 1 that the games are extremely balanced against doing any exploration or you end up overleveled like crazy. Which... is still happening to me in 2, because I'm so thorough in the dungeons I end up spending forever inside them. Like in the dreadnought I ran all the way through it for an hour because I accidentally went all the way to the engine room, then turned around and explored the rest of the dungeon before having to return to the first destination I'd reached.

12 hours in though and I'm still really, really enjoying it.

Lowblood

Oct 30, 2017

They're just varying strategies. Dual wield, dual shield, and weapon+shield are all viable. I do think some shield usage early on is useful since you'll evade better and get a jumpstart on your agility growth, but late game you can do whatever. I did heavy evasion focus early, but now at endgame I've got Firion dual-wielding to help clear out enemies quicker.

FF2 is very open in how you can play it, and I don't think there's too many "wrong" ways outside of maybe ignoring magic entirely since there are early enemies who heavily resist physical attacks. The best bet is to decide a clear "role" for each of your three characters and stick to it.

SpoonyGundam

Nov 18, 2018

FFI is basically an unlicensed AD&D game, so the reason Black Mage gets Haste and Temper and Saber is because AD&D Wizard gets Haste and Enchant Weapon and Tenser's Transformation.

Clerics back then got very few offensive spells and offensive buffs (At least from what was available in the PHB) compared to later editions, so White Mages are just all support all the time. I don't think they've ever actually been worth taking in FFI, but that seems to be an unpopular opinion.

Murlin

Feb 12, 2019

Once you get Gauntlets, just have WM use them as an item in battle every turn when they don't need to heal. It casts Thundara for free.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Also regarding the recent discussion, does that mean the bow is the worst weapon in FF2 since you can't have something offhand? 🤔

Oct 25, 2017

They're both OP.
One has everybody doing massive damage.
The other has one guy who's impossible to hit tanking all of the attacks.

This version seems to have ruined the OP tank strat though since enemies will attack the back row too.

Jakenbakin

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Jun 17, 2018
Also regarding the recent discussion, does that mean the bow is the worst weapon in FF2 since you can't have something offhand? 🤔
When I returned to Fynn at one point I beat up on the captain (or sergeant I don't remember) and got a flame bow which was massively powerful at the time, so that seemed like a good time to use it. I used that for my rotating 4th for a good through 2-3 dungeons.

SpoonyGundam

Nov 18, 2018
What else attacks from the backrow? I have Maria with the flame bow and it's working well but I'm worried about her future. Spear? Staff?
In this version, every weapon can attack from the back row and every enemy can attack the back row. Give her knives or staves if you want her to use magic too, otherwise you can give her whatever.

IMO, the backrow is kind of pointless now. Your HP will naturally grow to the point where you can handle the damage in the front row just by being in the front row, and being there lets you do full damage with your melee attacks.

Sawyer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Is there a way to listen to the remastered OST of 3 outside the game? SE took down all youtube uploads.
There is only some timelaps stuff.

Oct 25, 2017
In this version, every weapon can attack from the back row and every enemy can attack the back row. Give her knives or staves if you want her to use magic too, otherwise you can give her whatever.

IMO, the backrow is kind of pointless now. Your HP will naturally grow to the point where you can handle the damage in the front row just by being in the front row, and being there lets you do full damage with your melee attacks.

Backrow was definitely useful. The final boss could kill my 3 weaker characters in a single hit if they were in the front row, but they could survive a hit in the back. If you aren't grinding at all and just running through the game, the difference is big enough to matter. Healing isn't particularly powerful so it is hard to keep up with damage.

The main problem right now is that the encounter rate is so ridiculously high that it is difficult not to be sufficiently strong to avoid hitting walls.

I'm using a guide when I don't know where to go in 2, because I learned from 1 that the games are extremely balanced against doing any exploration or you end up overleveled like crazy. Which... is still happening to me in 2, because I'm so thorough in the dungeons I end up spending forever inside them. Like in the dreadnought I ran all the way through it for an hour because I accidentally went all the way to the engine room, then turned around and explored the rest of the dungeon before having to return to the first destination I'd reached.

12 hours in though and I'm still really, really enjoying it.

FF1 rarely gives you anything of interest to explore or do out of order other than being able to technically do the Eastern part of the map before the Western part after you get to the ocean. Auto Battle, bug fixes, balance adjustments, increased EXP and the save QOL removed almost al of the very little difficulty the original had. FF2 never has anything of note to do out of order either, other than a single cave?

Only FF3 gives you decent side content that you are encouraged to do.

Last edited:

jb1234

Very low key
Oct 25, 2017
3 is such a dramatic improvement over 2. The encounter rate is lowered, the balance is better, there's more to do in towns and the dungeon design isn't excruciating anymore. I'm really enjoying this version of it.

Alpheus

Oct 25, 2017

Keep an eye out for gear that casts AoE nukes while in battle, can give your WHM some damage dealing turns.

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
Haven't found any weapons yet for DK :(
You'll have access to them once you get your new airship. Won't be long now.

Do I unequip everything including the staff from my monk in FF1? I unequipped everything.
Staff? Anyway yes unequip their weapon soon after getting the ship.

You can do both. Start with everyone having a shield so they can advance their evasion and agility, then when needed (like say, for bosses or late game) switch to dual wielding.

What else attacks from the backrow? I have Maria with the flame bow and it's working well but I'm worried about her future. Spear? Staff?
Hm? Nothing, Bows were it. Rods, Staves and Knives may be weapons of choice for mages but they do shit damage from the back, this has always been a thing in Final Fantasy. Later games introduced mace-type weapons that did full damage from the back.