Oct 27, 2017
Okay so I got to the dungeon that expects you to use dark knights but this is ridiculous. These enemies hit for like 400 damage and one bad luck round of them targeting the same person and forget it.

Are you expected to literally make 3 or 4 dark knights and buy enough equipment for them all? Because one certainly doesn't do enough damage

I think I had two, but using a Geomancer for AoE damage is an option as well, since magic attacks don't make them split.

Oct 27, 2017
Okay so I got to the dungeon that expects you to use dark knights but this is ridiculous. These enemies hit for like 400 damage and one bad luck round of them targeting the same person and forget it.

Are you expected to literally make 3 or 4 dark knights and buy enough equipment for them all? Because one certainly doesn't do enough damage

I made one character a Viking. They can make enemies target them and most enemies at that point did 1 damage to my Viking.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Just beat FFII for the first time ever. Definitely was decent. I do like it was much more story and character driven compared to FF1. I can definitely see why folks call it a precursor to FF4.

Gonna move on to FFIII soon, which is another FF game I never beat.

Jakenbakin

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Jun 17, 2018
Damn that dungeon in FFII with all the adamantoise turtles. Cast protect+blink, then just attack for 40 turns until it's dead or flees. I got Firion staves from 1-7, and everyone else up to 8 on their primary weapons. Not sure when it happened but all my characters are at 2x evasion too. This was just a beast of stat increases dungeon for me haha.

Rutger

Oct 25, 2017

I think I had two, but using a Geomancer for AoE damage is an option as well, since magic attacks don't make them split.

Yeah, I like to use a couple Geomancers the first time through, then I use two Dark Knights after I reach their town and get them equipped with good gear.

Velorath

Feb 28, 2018
They said in interviews that it was a pain to try to update their old ports to work between phone versions. One of the major strengths of redoing stuff in Unity like this is that it is vastly easier to update games to work on different consoles or different phone versions. We are much more likely to see continued support on more games, and on more platforms, and on more phone versions, than the old GBA-hacked-to-work-on-phone ports.

I'd be surprised if Tactics is really compatible with this basic engine, unfortunately. It does vastly increase the odds of us getting good remasters/remakes of some of the lesser SNES IPs owned by SE, like Bahamut Dragoon or Lufia.

Yeah, I wouldn't expect to see any Tactics port come as part of the Pixel Remaster stuff. More that with the core FF stuff all available now (with the FFVII Remake hopefully coming to PC at some point in the future), that Square can maybe start thinking about some of the side games (Tactics, Revenant Wings) that aren't available on current platforms and haven't been for some time.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Damn that dungeon in FFII with all the adamantoise turtles. Cast protect+blink, then just attack for 40 turns until it's dead or flees. I got Firion staves from 1-7, and everyone else up to 8 on their primary weapons. Not sure when it happened but all my characters are at 2x evasion too. This was just a beast of stat increases dungeon for me haha.

If it's any consideration, Adamantoises are weak against Ice. So if you have a magic user with build up Blizzard magic a single cast should be a one-shot kill.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Just played 1 but I think the pixel work has been fantastic. Things like the water or special spells effects look incredible, I'm excited for the rest of the series especially 6.

I've never played any of the ff6 re-releases but was the vanish/Xzone glitch taken out? I won't lie I used it a bit as a crutch

Jakenbakin

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Jun 17, 2018
If it's any consideration, Adamantoises are weak against Ice. So if you have a magic user with build up Blizzard magic a single cast should be a one-shot kill.
My point was by attacking it physically I was massively increasing my weapon proficiencies and that it basically was never damaging me. But yeah when I had one as a boss I found it's weakness and killed it easy peasy with a couple blizzard IVs.

Kanhir

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if the PC and mobile versions use the same save format. I'd love to pass it back and forth so I can grind on the go.

Anustart

9 Million Scovilles
Avenger
Nov 12, 2017
If I cannot cast vanish on stuff then have Relm sketch it for random bullshit, go! I'm going to be upsetti spaghetti

Oct 29, 2017
I can't wait to pick these up. I had been meaning to hold out for console ports, but the mods already coming out are quite tempting. Unfortunately, it looks like the Green Man Gaming XP starter pack is gone, so the GMG deal is not going to help me out.

I am a bit concerned about the reduced difficulty of FFI, as I was not a fan of the simplicity of Dawn of Souls. I also miss the obnoxious old equipment system, as the Heal Helmets, Black Robe, White Robe, etc. seem less useful and flavorful if just anyone can use them from the infinite item bag instead of having to carry them individually. That said, the return of Vancian magic is pretty great.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
If I cannot cast vanish on stuff then have Relm sketch it for random bullshit, go! I'm going to be upsetti spaghetti

That bug didn't even exist on revisions beyond the 1.0 carts on the SNES among other bugs like Evade not working.

The Sketch Bug was actually a malevolent bug. It could make the game unplayable, forcing a reset, and in some cases, completely kill your save data. This is the kind of thing that they would go out of their way to fix. Contrast to the evade bug that while it was there and not fixed until the GBA release, it doesn't make the game unplayable unlike the Vanish Sketch glitch.

If the FF1 Remaster fixed NES related issues like the MAG Stat not working at all, or the Critical Hit bug, I doubt the FF6 bugs will also be retained.

Abaddon

Oct 25, 2017
I can't wait to pick these up. I had been meaning to hold out for console ports, but the mods already coming out are quite tempting. Unfortunately, it looks like the Green Man Gaming XP starter pack is gone, so the GMG deal is not going to help me out.

I am a bit concerned about the reduced difficulty of FFI, as I was not a fan of the simplicity of Dawn of Souls. I also miss the obnoxious old equipment system, as the Heal Helmets, Black Robe, White Robe, etc. seem less useful and flavorful if just anyone can use them from the infinite item bag instead of having to carry them individually. That said, the return of Vancian magic is pretty great.

It looks like the discount is still on, just need to make sure you're logged in and it's per game (1-3 available atm), they're not doing a complete pack.

robotzombie

Oct 25, 2017
If I want to make sure to use a red mage and black mage in ff1, what would be the best other two to round out the party?

Oct 29, 2017
It looks like the discount is still on, just need to make sure you're logged in and it's per game (1-3 available atm), they're not doing a complete pack.
The 20% discount is still on (and on Steam as well), but the 36% requires XP rank (bronze, I think) , and the deal where you could get that for $1 and get credit back seems to be gone.

Anustart

9 Million Scovilles
Avenger
Nov 12, 2017
That bug didn't even exist on revisions beyond the 1.0 carts on the SNES among other bugs like Evade not working.

The Sketch Bug was actually a malevolent bug. It could make the game unplayable, forcing a reset, and in some cases, completely kill your save data. This is the kind of thing that they would go out of their way to fix. Contrast to the evade bug that while it was there and not fixed until the GBA release, it doesn't make the game unplayable unlike the Vanish Sketch glitch.

If the FF1 Remaster fixed NES related issues like the MAG Stat not working at all, or the Critical Hit bug, I doubt the FF6 bugs will also be retained.

Can we atleast hope for confused members summoning the esper that then makes all the enemies jump on you? :(

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Do we have a list yet for the font mods available so far?

Also have any mods fixed the alleged jutter issue the games have?

And lastly, what are the big differences between FFIII and the 3D remake we got? Seems people prefer the original, and I'm just wondering what makes it the better game?

Anustart

9 Million Scovilles
Avenger
Nov 12, 2017

And lastly, what are the big differences between FFIII and the 3D remake we got? Seems people prefer the original, and I'm just wondering what makes it the better game?

I'm not the best judge of what's changed, but the increased speed of the game vs the 3d is great, and the visuals here are a lot better (in my opinion) than the junk 3d remake.

niall

Oct 30, 2017

The 3D remake changed a bunch of things, but the most notable differences:
  • The four generic playable "onion knight" characters have been replaced with four unique characters with some backstory
  • There is a limit of 3 enemies on screen, down from 9 in the 2D version. This has meant a lot of combat encounters have been changed to adjust for the lower limit
  • Jobs in the 2D version are a form of progression and old jobs become useless later in the game. 3D remake rebalanced jobs so they're useful options for longer
  • Animation and overall combat speed is a lot slower in the 3D version

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm not the best judge of what's changed, but the increased speed of the game vs the 3d is great, and the visuals here are a lot better (in my opinion) than the junk 3d remake.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the original FFIII doesn't have actual characters, just four blank slate avatars like in FFI, right?

That's why I always theoretically assumed the 3D remake would be better since it includes actual characters like Luneth and Refia. Not much, but better than literally nothing.

Ricky

Fallen Guardian
Oct 25, 2017
This whole time I was trying to figure out how to get the red mage and monk. I had no idea you can choose those jobs when you start the game 😂

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017

this is probably the most faithful adaptation you can expect vis a vis difficulty unless you *really* want to party like it's 1989

Atom

Jul 25, 2021
Approaching the end of FF1. Really solid game. If I'd played it in 87 or whatever I'd have been extremely impressed. Music in particular is phenomenal both arranged, but even in the original when going back to listen to it.

As a side note, it is wild how Square Enix has moved on from the 'absolutely abysmal' PC ports of XIII/XIII-2 to the ports which are by and large extremely solid but completely drop the ball at the last minute. No vsync option in game is nuts, the font being something they actively decided on is almost absurd, and the inexplicable design changes around camera follow and framerate judder and framepacing issues are extremely disappointing when so many other versions have smooth 60fps scrolling.

It's also baffling that the additional content isn't going to be included. Really enjoyed the extra espers in VI especially. It's a shame they missed the opportunity to make actual definitive, content-complete versions of the game.

Deleted member 81119

User-requested account closure
Banned
Sep 19, 2020
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the original FFIII doesn't have actual characters, just four blank slate avatars like in FFI, right?

That's why I always theoretically assumed the 3D remake would be better since it includes actual characters like Luneth and Refia. Not much, but better than literally nothing.
I much prefer 2D FFIII. The speed makes a big difference, but there's also no penalty for changing jobs so you can change your party make up on the fly. I also found the story changes to the 3D version pretty meh, to the point that the story gets in the way of the game. The 2D version has no story to speak of, but that's not necessarily a bad thing here.

Anustart

9 Million Scovilles
Avenger
Nov 12, 2017

Yeah, still, the blank slates have just as much personality as those named ones :3

Oct 25, 2017
Finished FF2, around 12 hours on the clock. Better than ever! And still I think the worst main FF, and one I don't really recommend to anyone. The leveling system being really bad in previous versions drew a lot of ire, but there's so many other problems with the game that were kind of masked as everyone focused on just the leveling system. The terrible dungeon design and ridiculous encounter rate tank the rest of the game. I just really, absolutely hate the dungeons. Trap rooms, long snaking linear corridors make it feel like the "rail shooter" of RPGs. Like half of the play time is spent running down single-tile-wide hallways and the random encounters you fight in those hallways.

I never felt the need to do anything that felt it was abusive. I only had 3x Evasion by the end, and only got ambush-locked once in the final dungeon, which thanks to the saving wasn't a real loss of time. I still got around 3500-5000 HP in 12 non-grindy hours, never targeting myself or drawing out fights intentionally. The last boss being hard mostly came to me not understanding mechanics (Berserk increases spell damage, which I figured out during the fight?) or that I never leveling any of the defensive buffs so had to stack it 1 at a time.

+ The music is the best version of that OST.
+ QOL makes a huge difference in playability.
+ The revised leveling mechanics are much better than I remember playing them.
- Dungeons are terrible
- The encounter rate is too high.
- Dungeons are really terrible
- Worst exploration in the series
- Leveling mechanics are still prone to abuse. Having to cast buffs over and over to level them is ridiculous.
- Good lord I hate the dungeons.
- Boss fights are still really bad in 1989 or whatever.

The thin characters in FF3 DS aren't worth doubling or tripling the playtime.

Quinho

Dec 25, 2017
I see a lot of people shitting on 3D ff III lately.... I didn't have any idea how loathed it is generally.

I personally love it as much as this pixel remaster.

Solarc

Sep 24, 2018
Dominican Republic

Not sure if anyone has made a font mods list yet, you could check out the Discord server to see what people have managed to come up with so far:

Join the Moogles & Mods Discord Server!

Check out the Moogles & Mods community on Discord - hang out with 12801 other members and enjoy free voice and text chat.

Someone made two guides to help reduce jutter using a hex editor:

For 60hz monitors
steamcommunity.com

Steam Community :: Guide :: How to hack the player move speed to reduce judder at 60hz

Since a lot of people don't have high refresh rate monitors, I was able to track down how the player move speed works. Hacking this speed will fix judder in the horizontal and vertical directions, bu

For non-60hz monitors
steamcommunity.com

Steam Community :: Guide :: How to unlock or set the framerate

How to hex edit GameAssembly.dll to set the max framerate of the game. Setting to certain values can mitigate the judder effect when walking around the world or town maps....

I think there's also an alternative solution using Cheat Engine instead.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Finished FF2, around 12 hours on the clock. Better than ever! And still I think the worst main FF, and one I don't really recommend to anyone. The leveling system being really bad in previous versions drew a lot of ire, but there's so many other problems with the game that were kind of masked as everyone focused on just the leveling system. The terrible dungeon design and ridiculous encounter rate tank the rest of the game. I just really, absolutely hate the dungeons. Trap rooms, long snaking linear corridors make it feel like the "rail shooter" of RPGs. Like half of the play time is spent running down single-tile-wide hallways and the random encounters you fight in those hallways.

I never felt the need to do anything that felt it was abusive. I only had 3x Evasion by the end, and only got ambush-locked once in the final dungeon, which thanks to the saving wasn't a real loss of time. I still got around 3500-5000 HP in 12 non-grindy hours, never targeting myself or drawing out fights intentionally. The last boss being hard mostly came to me not understanding mechanics (Berserk increases spell damage, which I figured out during the fight?) or that I never leveling any of the defensive buffs so had to stack it 1 at a time.

+ The music is the best version of that OST.
+ QOL makes a huge difference in playability.
+ The revised leveling mechanics are much better than I remember playing them.
- Dungeons are terrible
- The encounter rate is too high.
- Dungeons are really terrible
- Worst exploration in the series
- Leveling mechanics are still prone to abuse. Having to cast buffs over and over to level them is ridiculous.
- Good lord I hate the dungeons.
- Boss fights are still really bad in 1989 or whatever.

This is my opinion of the game as well, and I would add to that the 100% proc rate of status effects that are very prevalent in the back half of the game. It's so irritating.

Oct 25, 2017
This is my opinion of the game as well, and I would add to that the 100% proc rate of status effects that are very prevalent in the back half of the game. It's so irritating.

The proc rate wasn't that big of a problem for me. About the halfway point, when I wandered too far in the wrong direction, I'd be outclassed and outsped, but a even by the end of the next dungeon I could kill enough of them on the first turn to not eat shit.

Maybe I'd be singing a different tune if I had worse luck in the final dungeon, but I only had a Coeurl-tastrophe once in the final dungeon, but I was so fed up of the game by the final dungeon that I looked at the map and sped straight for the exit on each floor.

Anyhow, the games need proper instructions. There's too many awkward mechanics, especially in FF2. PC/Mobile is definitely a beta-test (which I'm all in for, give me them mods), but the inevitable console release may be lucky enough to get in-game explanations or even an instruction manual to justify a $70 price tag for the collection.

I'm less than 3 hours in to FF1 (but I played a few previous versions) yet my ranking is clear: 3>1>2. I suspect my final order for the PR series will be 5>6>3>4>1>2, because 3 wowed me that much and because I don't think FF4 will do enough to elevate it past the previous remakes. FF4 is such a pickle due to it being, one of the most remade RPGs of all time-- Five full sets of distinct assets? (SNES, GBA, PSP, DS, Feature Phone?) It is hard to stand out when there's that many good versions of a game out there.

Last edited:

Rutger

Oct 25, 2017
I see a lot of people shitting on 3D ff III lately.... I didn't have any idea how loathed it is generally.

I personally love it as much as this pixel remaster.

The only thing I hate with the 3D remake is the penalty on switching jobs.

Other than that, it's just slower paced and doesn't have as well of a balanced combat system to go with its changes like FFIV DS would end up with, so the original/PR version of FFIII ends up the better experience for me.

Oct 25, 2017
The only thing I hate with the 3D remake is the penalty on switching jobs.

Other than that, it's just slower paced and doesn't have as well of a balanced combat system to go with its changes like FFIV DS would end up with, so the original/PR version of FFIII ends up the better experience for me.

Yeah, basically. I liked 3 DS, but never finished it as a result of how slow it is and how unforgiving the saves/dungeons are. Save QOL and Game Speed QOL and Balance are such godsends for the game. It is a really great adventure that took me only 11 hours. That's such an absurd density of greatness for an RPG.

robotzombie

Oct 25, 2017
I just got the higher tier black and white mages in 3 (along with the summoner). Is the black mage worth while? Or is it better to just go with three fighter types and the white mage?

Rpgmonkey

Oct 25, 2017
Kinda neat to play these and see the graphics get subtly better with each game simply because the art, colors, and environments these are all based on also improved over time.

demu

AVALANCHE
Oct 26, 2017
Germany
How hard/grindy are the achievements for these? If (when) they come to consoles, I'd love to platinum all of them. Never played I-V.

Oct 25, 2017
Kinda neat to play these and see the graphics get subtly better with each game simply because the art, colors, and environments these are all based on also improved over time.

I really like what the showed of the bar in FF4PR. The new floorboards are not a tile and non-repeating? That is a really nice detail, and I'm curious how they did it (drawing it uniquely or a procedural engine to generate flooring?)

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
How hard/grindy are the achievements for these? If (when) they come to consoles, I'd love to platinum all of them. Never played I-V.
If you're vigilant, you can do them in 10-15 hours for 1 and 2. The problem is that there are missables so if you happen to, say, miss a treasure or enemy in a dungeon that gets closed off later on, you're gonna have to start a whole new playthrough to get it.

Haven't looked at 3's achievements.

Velorath

Feb 28, 2018

1 is not too bad (getting Warmech to spawn is probably the hardest). 2, it's possible to miss out on certain enemies, chests, or key terms that you can't go back and get later. 3, I finished up missing a large chunk of bestiary entries, some chests, and if you want to get all the hidden items you'll probably want to use a walkthrough somewhere. At least you can look on the map to see how many chests or hidden items are in an area. Think there are also some enemies here that are harder to spawn (some of the dragons near the end IIRC).

Rhomega

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
I don't know if this was brought up, but for Final Fantasy II, I've found Autobattle great for grinding White spells. Find easy enemies, cast the spell, set the others to Defend, then turn on Autobattle.

Though I guess you won't get any EXP until you accept that you leveled up.

And now I've encountered a Teleport glitch. After leaving the Altair inn, I used Teleport, it worked, and now I'm stuck at the town map with no characters.

Lowblood

Oct 30, 2017
Wow, uh, Sleep just doesn't wear off in FF2, huh? Wood Golems are a lot more dangerous than I thought they were.

Also:

All those +10 Stat boosts at the top of the Tower of Mysidia are nice, but it's a bit painful knowing Ricard isn't going to be around much longer so they're kind of "wasted" on him.

Also I doubt this because it's 2021 but I hope there's no overflow stat bugs in this game because I'm at 90-99 natural Agility for the main three, and Firion's getting up there with Strength too. Gave Flare to Maria and Ultima to Guy since I figure Firion'll be bashing away with whatever the best sword ends up being anyway.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
Does anyone know the extent of what job levels do in III? I know they affect weapon hits but what else? Do they effect the Job abilities like making Viking's Draw Attacks command miss less?