• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
A couple of pre-Dawntrail questions for everyone. What do you want to change with your job, and what do you actually expect the changes will be? Hard to predict an entire expansion, but maybe the initial changes.

Incoming 'rework' replies from ast & drg players.

Dec 19, 2022
Not directly job related, but please for the love of god make certain actions like potions queue properly, so the wonky spaghetti code won't ignore inputs.
And also delete that annoying excessively long animation lock when using lb.

Also give summoner s.th. so this class is a bit less boring, and green dps a bit more so their dmg rotation ist not just 1 button and 1 dot.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
I expect things to stay too samey for most of the jobs.
Some jobs might enter a 6 year cycle in DT of essentially playing 95% the same way which is lowkey insane to me for an MMO.
Not sure what I want to be honest outside of the button pressing feeling fun which I haven't felt for like the last year of EW already. I let the content and social aspect mostly carry my motivation but as a game the gameplay appeal of jobs is def at an all time low for me.

Aesthet1c

Oct 27, 2017
I want a dehomogenization of tank jobs. In the early FFXIV each tank felt pretty unique and mitigated damage in their own way. Now they all kind of feel like the same job with different names for the same basic abilities.

I also think it would be fun for summoner (or any job) to return to being a damage over time focused job.

MEGrika

Oct 25, 2017
I was hoping for Ramuh/Levi/Shiva for SMN but datamines ruined that. Having the 86 skills be lower level would be nice so you can have the full rotation in more synced content. Otherwise I'm fine with just upgrades and not too many changes. SMN is the only job left I can play at high level cause of my disabilities so I'm more then happy keeping it simple.

Pellaidh

Oct 26, 2017
It would be nice if they gave me a single reason to actually play Bard again. But I don't think that's going to happen.

I hope they leave RDM mostly the same. It feels pretty good right now, and it's what I switched to from Bard when Endwalker launched. I'd hate to have to switch jobs again.

Sabin

Oct 25, 2017
All I want is that they stop the homogenization of Jobs.

Removing kaiten made Samurai a way worse Job and this is also true for many other Jobs. Everything just has to obey the awful 2 minute meta and I wish they would just stop with it.

Persephone

Oct 25, 2017
consolidate šŸ‘ combos šŸ‘ into šŸ‘ one šŸ‘button šŸ‘ PLEASE. i am running out of room. I cannot handle more than two hotbars.

Dec 19, 2022
I want a dehomogenization of tank jobs. In the early FFXIV each tank felt pretty unique and mitigated damage in their own way. Now they all kind of feel like the same job with different names for the same basic abilities.
I partially agree with that, but problem is that raid groups would tell you outright to not play a certain job and swap, basically forcing certain jobs out of content if said job is unsuited for a certain type of fight.

In early coil raiding, raid statics would run it with 2x pld instead of war, because war had next to no actual mits to survive stuff. Self healing is pointless if you get ohko'd by death sentence, or that ghastly death sentence + plummet combo.

In alexander, statics would avoid pld because low dps and his mits & block mostly worked for physical damage, but not magic. And there were a lot of magic tbs and even autos.

Last edited:

Hrodulf

Oct 25, 2017
Bring back the old AST cards just to annoy people.
All I want is that they stop the homogenization of Jobs.
But really, mostly just this. Too many of the jobs feel samey and boring at this point in the game, to the point that you're practically just playing one job with different aesthetics.
Basically stop babying healers, using your dot and damage spell constantly and popping the occasional off-GCD heal is fucking boring.
Also this.

ozumas

Born to be Wise and Corrupted by Vengeance
Dec 15, 2020
I don't get why Summoner (I only played MSQ with my summoner) rotation is so goddamn long, it doesn't have to be. And everyspell just fells the same, damage or AOE damage, you just do them in order and using OGCD spells in between.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
Oh they honestly actually should probably undo the healer split. Absolutely worthless and in the current design only double regen suffers so probably regen healers should just get actually decent tool, since the fight design leans this heavily on mit.

Aesthet1c

Oct 27, 2017
Problem with that is that raid groups would tell you outright to not play a certain job and swap, basically forcing certain jobs out of content if said job is unsuited for a certain type of fight.

In early coil raiding, raid statics would run it with 2x pld instead of war, because war had next to no actual mits to survive stuff. Self healing is pointless if you get ohko'd by death sentence, or that ghastly death sentence + plummet combo.

In alexander, statics would avoid pld because low dps and his mits & block mostly worked for physical damage, but not magic. And there were a lot of magic tbs and even autos.
You're not wrong, but that's a balancing issue. Every tank should be able to do all of the content equally, but at least make them feel different from one another. I know that's obviously a lot easier said than done, but if we're talking about what we want to see in DT, that's where I'm at.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
i'm still doing the free trial so i want more free trial content

hey you asked

Apollo

Corrupted by Vengeance
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I want Machinist to be a different job again. I expect it to be the same as it is now forevermore

Dec 19, 2022
Every tank should be able to do all of the content equally, but at least make them feel different from one another. I know that's obviously a lot easier said than done, but if we're talking about what we want to see in DT, that's where I'm at.
I can agree with that. They generally leaned a bit too much into that homogenization and streamlining direction with EW.

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Don't dumb down AST is all I ask.

Based on the data mine of the benchmarkā€¦ it looks like all cards are changing, so I'm hoping it'll diversify cards like they used to be instead of just phys/rang split.

Synohan

Oct 25, 2017
I wish they'd undo the Dancer changes from EW. I think the AoE and Single Target skills sharing resources during Flourish gets rid of the very small burst of actual decision making in that class. I liked SHB Dancer because it's a comfortable starter class for those new to the endgame and the old Flourish allowed them get creative and a bit daring with how they'd spend their two AoE procs.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
unless they significantly alter how bosses work in Dawntrail, I don't see major reworks being all that different beyond fixing up some major fuck ups like AST.

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
I know I heard AST was getting a rework? Hopefully it gets a bit more of the old complexity added to it.

I miss SCH having fun DPS tools... I'm pretty sure they were the damage-healer in Stormblood, now that's been delegated to other jobs.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
I'm expecting WHM to remain exactly the same and that's fine. We're meant to be the boring healer.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
unless they significantly alter how bosses work in Dawntrail, I don't see major reworks being all that different beyond fixing up some major fuck ups like AST.
They implied that almost every boss having a giant hit box might stop being a thing and that tank positioning might be important again. Not sure if that counts as significant though.

Firebrand

Oct 25, 2017
I'd like to see them bring back utility and fun toys, instead of just having nearly every ability be just "more damage" or "more heals". While every expansion has had its good and bad, and there are certainly some things I don't miss, overall I think the combat gameplay has gradually gotten worse with every expansion since ARR. Shadowbringers was particularly bad, really killed the fun in AST. BRD, my initial main, is another job I find to be zero fun to play now.

I don't expect them to change their design philosophy at this point though.

ReginaldXIV

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
Nov 4, 2017
Minnesota
It's way too late to go back but Stormblood was the best the game has ever been mechanically, so if they can make the jobs feel like that again it'd be great. Endwalker is so smoothed over that every job in a role feels exactly the same just with a different color.

Never felt so bored pressing buttons as a DRK before which made me bounce off the game for the first time in a decade.

They implied that almost every boss having a giant hit box might stop being a thing and that tank positioning might be important again. Not sure if that counts as significant though.

This was another issue as a tank. 90% of the content doesn't require much from the tank. Sometimes they throw us a bone and give us a required tank LB3 in normal content.

Zen

"This guy are sick" says The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
Just keep Dragoon smooth. Having a long, rigid rotation is what gives it its vibe.

Izzy

Oct 25, 2017
I would just prefer fewer oGCDs. It's okay for a handful of classes to be busy - but it seems like sometimes with the expectation to keep adding things they just shove an extra oGCD nuke and expect you to work it into the burst. The longer that goes on the messier you get. And of course things can become inaccessible.

Ultimadrago

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
I want Samurai to be the same. Simple "punch the buttons for pretty damage to come out".

Moara

ā–² Legend ā–²
Oct 25, 2017
I want them to give back monk some of their oGCDs outside of 2 minute windows. I'm glad they seem to be finally upgrading their basic combo animations after 10 years at least

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret Corrupted by Vengeance
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
Get rid of positionals (they don't add anything and restrict encounter design - fake depth), less button bloat (won't happen this xpac but I expect it down the line, some pruning), add some new tools for SMN (rework was great, but is very simple rn), move away from the 2min cd windows in kit design.

Outside SMN obv getting new buttons I don't expect the others to happen as I assume they would've told us about something like positionals already.

I do expect some of these to happen over time though.

Jan 11, 2018
I'm mostly expecting Dancer to stay the same, with the finishers being replaced by more powerful variants at 100. I'd like to see them add a regen OGCD similar to Shield Samba and Curing Waltz.

I wish Summoner would get more gemstones, like Leviathan, Ramuh and Shiva. Even if they'd basically be the equivalent of palette swaps for the main three with different animations. I actually like the Endwalker rework. It feels like a proper FF summoner job now. Except that it's still in early game with its arsenal. It would go a long way to make it feel more complete if it had at least the remaining classic summons in its kit.

Make Bard Great Again

If by that you mean Bow Mage, then absolutely not.

But I would like to see Bard become a bit more streamlined. At least in terms of the songs. It's way too busy. Black Mage manages to be big brain without being nearly as convoluted imo.

Get rid of positionals (they don't add anything and restrict encounter design - fake depth), less button bloat (won't happen this xpac but I expect it down the line, some pruning), add some new tools for SMN (rework was great, but is very simple rn), move away from the 2min cd windows in kit design.

I'd love for them to get rid of positional for every job except Monk, and make it Monk's thing.

Yam's

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly? Less buttons. For a game where the producer tells players to take breaks during content drought, it takes too much time relearning jobs when I decide to play again. At least pvp is more streamlined and fun right away.

Problem is that the community will only want the tank that mitigates 5% better as MT and the OT that deals 6% more damage. It would be fun if they actually designed bosses around different tank kits as WoW does, but then the community will complain that they feel like x job is mandatory. I also think it was better when each tank was more unique, but I understand why they decided to avoid all those headaches.

Dec 19, 2022
It's way too late to go back but Stormblood was the best the game has ever been mechanically, so if they can make the jobs feel like that again it'd be great.
Stormblood (and also a lot of HW) was hell if you didn't adhere to the popular meta.
Noone wanted mnk or sam as melee, and I was told to either swap or fuck off, because nin and drg had far superior raid utility. Which was a pain in the ass, because I hated playing those 2 back then.
Nin was a clipping nightmare with trying to weave 2-3 mudras + ninjutsu in between gcds, especially if ping was not in my favor.
Drg with his lengthy jump animation locks thankfully got shortened a lot later on.

Some things were better like the older drk version, but I don't have fond memories of that time tbh.

Last edited:

Karew

Jul 5, 2022
I'd like to see changes to the 2 minute window meta and more bosses with smaller hit boxes.

Persephone

Oct 25, 2017
Also my mildly spicy take is that the self-buffs for melee do nothing but artificially pad the rotation and I would not cry for a second if they were gone.