How long will Linda Yaccarino last as the new CEO of Twitter/đť•Ź?

• She will not make it to her desk

Votes: 176 13.1%
  • She will be out within a month

Votes: 100 7.4%
  • She will be out before 9/11

Votes: 201 14.9%
  • She will not last to "đť•Ź"-mess - you get it right? 🤣

Votes: 344 25.5%
  • She will be there for less than a year

Votes: 312 23.1%
  • She will be there till the end of: The Dark World

Votes: 215 15.9%

• Total voters

benj

Oct 27, 2017
A lot of this stuff is pretty funny, but it is, as always, concerning to see one person tweeting, "I heard that Elon is replacing all the SREs with mallards!" and thousands of people circulating that, responding to it as if it's fact, etc.—especially given how many of those people are also currently trying to score their boring dunks on right-wingers for uncritically gobbling up whatever the latest pro-Elon line is. Media literacy is in the absolute toilet across a lot of camps here. Pretty grim.

RoaminRonin

Nov 6, 2017
Bro it's been only a week that Musk was posting memes about him and kanye doing a dragon ball fusion.... lmao.

pantsattack

Oct 25, 2017
I'm just gobsmacked, literally can't believe he hasn't stopped tweeting. A new CEO of a huge tech company harassing people and exposing his lacks while replying to no name conservative grifters. My jaw is slack.

Carbon

Deploying the stealth Cruise Missile
Oct 27, 2017
So how long until Twitter turns on Musk because right wingers hates electric cars?
His free speech pied piper schtick can't last forever.

hurroocane

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
A lot of this stuff is pretty funny, but it is, as always, concerning to see one person tweeting, "I heard that Elon is replacing all the SREs with mallards!" and thousands of people circulating that, responding to it as if it's fact, etc.—especially given how many of those people are also currently trying to score their boring dunks on right-wingers for uncritically gobbling up whatever the latest pro-Elon line is. Media literacy is in the absolute toilet across a lot of camps here. Pretty grim.

the twittersphere is practically speedrunning our decline into a post truth world right now
I mean it's not like this hasn't been happening for quite a while but it feels like it's accelerating massively now

Carbon

Deploying the stealth Cruise Missile
Oct 27, 2017
the twittersphere is practically speedrunning our decline into a post truth world right now
I mean it's not like this hasn't been happening for quite a while but it feels like it's accelerating massively now
Hate to tell you, but that decline happened years ago.

We're just settling into the consequences of moving into that world. And God help us if/when the GQP gets control of the house.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Even though we know this is an untrue statement even when he is running damage control he can't completely dismiss the fact that Twitter has gotten worse since he took over.

The fact he uses the key phrase "at times" instead of just saying it's down across the board is very telling.

Even racists and trolls have to eat and sleep...

Johnny Blaze

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
DE
How can anyone still say Twitter is a net positive for society or too big to fail? Look how quickly it turned to absolute shit.

"but all people I care about are there" yeah no this is not a net positive for society, this is just a commodity thing.

You don't want to be bothered to follow people via multiple means because of commodity.

Ayato_Kanzaki

Nov 22, 2017
how did anyone named elon musk make it so far in life. i still don't understand

Rich parents, in a late-stage capitalistic environment that in increasingly turning into a nobles/serfs segregationist system in all but name, is enough to explain that. Those kids need to mess up really bad to not fall upward, with their parent's money supporting them. Add to them an utter willingness to exploit others for their own benefit, and you get the likes of Musk.

mentok15

Dec 20, 2017
Australia
How can anyone still say Twitter is a net positive for society or too big to fail? Look how quickly it turned to absolute shit.

"but all people I care about are there" yeah no this is not a net positive for society, this is just a commodity thing.

You don't want to be bothered to follow people via multiple means because of commodity.
Academic Twitter is pretty good

Shig

Oct 30, 2017
So how long until Twitter turns on Musk because right wingers hates electric cars?
His free speech pied piper schtick can't last forever.
The right ain't exactly known for being paradigms of consistent logic. Based on all their rhetoric, rural conservative voters should absolutely despise a loudmouthed, flabby New York real estate heir who flies back and forth on his private jet to his own personal country club. A soft big city man that has never 'roughed it' a day in his life and would absolutely curl into ball and die if someone dropped him off in the woods by himself or made him perform a day of blue-collar work. Yet they regard him as their lord and savior.

dejay

Nov 5, 2017
so it's losing 4m a day, and he owes the bank 1b a year ???

looks promising
And it apparently has very little ad revenue lined up for 2023, Musk has fired most of the sales staff in every market around the world, he's threatened companies if they don't give him advertising dollars, the lack of moderation will turn it into a toxic soup most advertisers won't want to be a part of, and he has already started treating the remaining staff like dogs.

Things ARE looking pretty good.

Megabreath

Oct 25, 2018
While i feel bad for the people who have been fired, i can't help but be fascinated by the absurdity of all this.

slider

Nov 10, 2020
"A thermonuclear name and shame."

Your idiot fans might be the loudest but, damn, I don't see where the shame comes into it.

Glad I bailed a few weeks ago. Voting with my feet is the only way I had.

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
I love Twitter and use it every day but seeing the richest man on earth implode like this is worth it. This is incredible.

Sidewinder

Oct 25, 2017
While i feel bad for the people who have been fired, i can't help but be fascinated by the absurdity of all this.

I also feel bad for those remaining, imagine working for that guy after all the shit he spouts on the very platform you work on and of course the way he treats his employees isn't really great either.

Niosai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Is there an actual Twitter alternative or are people just flocking to a bunch of different places and hoping one of them sticks when Twitter potentially goes downhill?

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I love Twitter and use it every day but seeing the richest man on earth implode like this is worth it. This is incredible.

365.png

Fredo

Oct 30, 2017
This guy is surely on drugs. He runs through these unhinged moments on a daily basis that other CEOs only have a handful of in their lifetime.

Also Musk knows about code efficiency. He was asked before about how many lines of code there was in a Tesla and he prefaced his answer with how that was a bad measurement and that they wanted as few lines of code possible. It's a great excuse for firing people though.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
Is there an actual Twitter alternative or are people just flocking to a bunch of different places and hoping one of them sticks when Twitter potentially goes downhill?
honestly, until cohost has an app i feel like the only option is for folks to go to places like tumblr or start getting more involved on tiktok

i like cohost, but it needs a dang app

marc^o^

Oct 26, 2017
Paris, France
I just deleted one of my 2 accounts, the one under my real name. Today's posts made me realize I can't trust him, on top of having total conflicts with my values.

Monsieur Paul

Oct 27, 2017
With all the laying off, is there a possibility that one of the GAFA scoop them all to build a Twitter clone on the spot? Or is it just me putting on my tinfoil hat?

Niosai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
honestly, until cohost has an app i feel like the only option is for folks to go to places like tumblr or start getting more involved on tiktok

i like cohost, but it needs a dang app
I signed up for cohost, but it feels like it's just...diet Tumblr? Unless I'm missing something, it seems more like it's structured closer to Tumblr than it is to Twitter. Then again, I've never really used Tumblr extensively.

Deleted member 8579

Oct 26, 2017
How much debt did he leverage onto Twitter to buy them?

He might lose some money but the company will be on the hook whatever amount he got a loan for. I feel that's partly why he doesn't give a shit while also being an idiot. He will sell a carcass with the debt he won't be responsible for.

Deleted member 106050

Nov 26, 2021
It seems Games Done Quick 2023 started early, with all the speedrunning being done in Twitter.

Run-it-to-the-ground%

In all seriousness, it's a fucking tragedy that such a manbaby, egotistical asshole with ties to Ghislaine Maxwell is in charge of a massively popular social media platform like Twitter. And the fact that so many people are losing their jobs is heartbreaking. But I'd be lying if I wasn't highly entertained by this clusterfuck.

I was dreading the thought of Twitter becoming a far-right cesspool (more than it was before), but I now I feel it won't have enough time to reach that point. Musk either sells it for a massive loss, or the site lingers on as a husk of its former self... like the old place. Either way, what a massive loss for this asshole. Love to see it.

Grug

Oct 26, 2017
Imagine if McDonalds threatened to dox their customers if they go to Burger King.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
So why did these idiotic financial institutions loan him the money?

Anyone with half a brain could see he would sabotage the thing.
For the same reason Twitter agreed to sell to him, his original offer was so high/bad that everyone but Musk saw it as a way to cash out.

Twitter execs got someone to pay an insane premium for their service that was bleeding money.

Banks got someone to agree to insane interest payments with collateral as stock for one of the most valuable car/tech manufacturers in the world.

It was a no brainer move by both Twitter and the Banks, which is why it's hilarious a "genius" like Musk would even propose such a terrible deal.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
It seems Games Done Quick 2023 started early, with all the speedrunning being done in Twitter.

Run-it-to-the-ground%

I thought that with Musk in charge, even in the worst circumstances, that it's popularity would last for at least another 4-6 years, but at the rate it's going we might as well compare it to Liz Truss as Prime Minister.

I'm not a businessman by any means, but the owner of a forum as big as Twitter threatening to go after companies because they're unsure about your decisions and need reassurance is not exactly a smart move.