• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Xeteh

Oct 27, 2017
8 year old son just defeated Fire Giant.

Got him to about half health or so, an event happened and then boss lost all the rest of his health in one go - some sort of bug? Another valuable lesson learnt - a win is a win is a win. He's only at level 94 as well.

Just reading this and the exact same thing happened to me. Soon as phase 2 started he died

Sounds like that is caused by getting the transition by a bleed loss or frostbite proc.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Did
Godfrey
get buffed? I remember him do way less damage my first time around.

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
I had to take a week off the game whilst I had an actual social life for a change, but I've been back on it today to make my way through the academy and beat Rennala and the red wolf 💪They were both pretty easy if I'm being honest, I'm guessing I was a little overpowered going in at level 52 with my +5 Bloodhound Fang. I had a lot more trouble with that really annoying Knight who was guarding the lift up to Rennala.

I know it's still early days in the grand scheme of things, but I never thought I'd get this far with a From game, so I'm feeling chuffed (for the time being)

gosublime

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like that is caused by getting the transition by a bleed loss or frostbite proc.

He uses a Bloodhound Fang weapon so it seems likely that could be a cause of it. As I told him though it doesn't matter - when the game rolls in your favour you take it.

His favourite enemies now are the ones we've nicknamed the 'Toot Toot' enemies in the capital the Oracle Envoys and I've also introduced him to Patches and his japes. He now wants to meet him in all the other games but there is no way I'm letting him play Bloodborne!

Huntersknoll

Oct 25, 2017
I was stuck on Maliketh for three days.. first phase super easy but the second phase just kicked my ass. I finally stopped being stubborn and did a respc so I could use Rivers of Blood and killed him on my first try. Felt really good.. really good. My mimic also helped. Almost makes me want to go though the entire game with a bleed build

99humanity

Oct 25, 2017
Is it now "better" to two hand a collosal weapon instead of power stancing two of them, with the exception of jump attacks?

I respecced back into pure strength and I have no idea what to do now. Using Grafted Greatsword and it's OK but kinda boring

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
I'm at a similar point- how did you get the +5 stone? My fang is +4 and I haven't seen anything better

Oh I don't know if I can remember precisely the location 🤔

Have you explored to the North West of the lakes? Where Caria Manor is? I haven't actually been in that manor, but there's a big fella nearby who upgrades arnaments for you and I'm sure he sells sombre stones, so I may have got it from him. If not, I think I found it exploring the general area and caves up in that North West direction.

Sonix

Prophet of Regret
Aug 3, 2020
Oh I don't know if I can remember precisely the location 🤔

Have you explored to the North West of the lakes? Where Caria Manor is? I haven't actually been in that manor, but there's a big fella nearby who upgrades armaments for you and I'm sure he sells sombre stones, so I may have got it from him. If not, I think I found it exploring the general area and caves up in that North West direction.
Yeah the dude sells stones up to +4 that's where I got up to that level. I'll explore more around there, thanks!

tmdorsey

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 26, 2017
Georgia
Am I the only one who went to the Capital after Raya Academy and Caria Manor? From the recent posts seems like most people saved the Capital for later. Of course I have to go back because I still haven't been down to the sewers yet.

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah the dude sells stones up to +4 that's where I got up to that level. I'll explore more around there, thanks!

You've got me questioning myself now and maybe I'm actually +4 rather than 5, but I can't be bothered to turn my PS5 back on to check 😂

No I'm sure I am +5 cos I know I need to find a +6 sombre stone from somewhere.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
8 year old son just defeated Fire Giant.

Got him to about half health or so, an event happened and then boss lost all the rest of his health in one go - some sort of bug? Another valuable lesson learnt - a win is a win is a win. He's only at level 94 as well.
Darn, well at least he got the cool cutscene

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON
Killed
Malenia
...very cool fight in many ways, the two things that just make it a bit too crazy are the lifesteal and the crazy whirlwind attack. Though to be honest, if you took both of those things away, the fight might be too easy...they are otherwise so susceptible to getting knocked down and staggered.

jblanco

Oct 27, 2017
Well shit. I ran out of markers lol

I was kind of hoping the patch would increase the marker count.

I use them a lot to identify which ruins, dungeons, etc. I have cleared.

freetacos

Oct 30, 2017
Bay Area, CA
I had to take a week off the game whilst I had an actual social life for a change, but I've been back on it today to make my way through the academy and beat Rennala and the red wolf 💪They were both pretty easy if I'm being honest, I'm guessing I was a little overpowered going in at level 52 with my +5 Bloodhound Fang. I had a lot more trouble with that really annoying Knight who was guarding the lift up to Rennala.

I know it's still early days in the grand scheme of things, but I never thought I'd get this far with a From game, so I'm feeling chuffed (for the time being)
At a similar spot (now up to altus plateu) and equally happy with my performance so far, it's pretty rewarding. The knight guarding the lift up to rennala I just lured out and had boulders fall on him 🤷‍♂️

Arctic Chris

Dec 5, 2017
Ottawa Canada
Well shit. I ran out of markers lol

I was kind of hoping the patch would increase the marker count.

I use them a lot to identify which ruins, dungeons, etc. I have cleared.
I would suggest doing it the opposite way. I only marked stuff I did not complete/explore/simply got stuck on. That made it very easy for me to find what I had not completed. If something was not even on my map, I knew I had to find the location and complete it. Kept my map clean and easy to find stuff.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Am I the only one who went to the Capital after Raya Academy and Caria Manor? From the recent posts seems like most people saved the Capital for later. Of course I have to go back because I still haven't been down to the sewers yet.

I'm sure other people have done it but on a first playthrough I feel like most people would be drawn to exploring Altus or Caelid before going all the way to Leyndell. I know I basically just fully explored every other region before actually going into Leyndell on my first run.

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
The only markers I've used are for bosses I've had to leave behind who I found too tough. I think I've got around 6 scattered on the map at the moment, and I can't wait to come back to them later when I'm more powered up.

platypotamus

Oct 25, 2017
it does, in a way
Seluvis quest is dependent on Ranni's, if you progress Ranni too far then seluvis dies, no more potion for nepheli. You shouldn't do Nepheli's quest by giving her the potion of course, what kind of monster are you?
Oh I supose that's true. I got the potion from him but found his corpse recently and hadn't seen her since he gave me the potion anyway. I heard I could give it to dung eater and that was my plan but I havent found him in the sewers yet

limone

Feb 4, 2022
Italy
I think at some point my OLED will have burn-in with the Main Academy Gate grace...why the other PvP spots were abandoned? Give me some arena.

Sirank

Oct 27, 2017
Well I've started going through NG+ now. Was feeling like a God slapping around the entirety of Stormveil Castle. Rolled up on 3 of the giant lobsters and got stunlocked, knocked off my horse and killed like a chump by their sniper spit. Then it happened again on the return to loose like 400k runes. Was a real rude wake up call to not get too cocky.

Barrett2

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
After probably >120 attempts, I finally beat Malenia last night. I was about to call it quit for the day, but on my 20th run of the night, I just had an amazing run where everything clicked. I was so hyped I ran to Radagon/Elden Beast and beat them on 4th try. IMO Elden Beast looks neat but the fight was boring. Felt like I could barely tell what was hitting me or what I was even hitting half the time. Now gonna spend a few days collecting more weapons before triggering the final cutscene and starting new game plus.

For me personally, maybe the best game i've ever played.

Stratosphere

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
After probably >120 attempts, I finally beat Malenia last night. I was about to call it quit for the day, but on my 20th run of the night, I just had an amazing run where everything clicked. I was so hyped I ran to Radagon/Elden Beast and beat them on 4th try. IMO Elden Beast looks neat but the fight was boring. Felt like I could barely tell what was hitting me or what I was even hitting half the time. Now gonna spend a few days collecting more weapons before triggering the final cutscene and starting new game plus.

For me personally, maybe the best game i've ever played.
Holy…120 attempts….I assume no spirit ashes then?

Hotbug

Dec 3, 2020

Gideon told me to go to the Capital so that's where I went. I kept waiting for him to drop "okay now we have to do Caelid for reasons" and when I finally realized he was never going I was post-FA. I rolled up on Radahn at Level 130.

katsu044

Mar 1, 2021
canada
about 40mins today on M for solo challenge good progress what i've learnt after starting to be able to dodge waterflow you can just get really screwed if she wants to do it super early or right after a dash /combo so you are either fucked because dodging it on top of her is insanely hard that and trying to bait her to do it takes to long
that and it's a bitch trying to figure out if shes gonna open up with her super armor attack which will always screw me up since she loves to wait for you to attack
i will beat her at somepoint powerstancing Halberds

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
Day 3 of Solo M and I took the advice of one of the hard cores on Reddit who beat her with handicaps and switched to using spells from far range on phase 1. Since M is so passive then if you stay out of say, the range of her lunging stab attack I found her to be pretty calm and only move forward once hit, but not doing anything else. This way I can hit, run, hit, run and not have to either get hit or block which gives her health back. If waterfowl happens it's much easier to dodge if the first 2 flurries miss too bc she just goes past you and then in place flurries for the next two.

Phase 2….all bets are off though. At least through grinding phase 1 the harder way though I think I can recognize like 75% of her toolkit in melee and parry sone and dodge others, but no idea on the new moves ofc.

Oct 29, 2017
trying to bait her to do it takes to long
Try to bait it after you deal around 25%-30% of damage, then throw some shit at her* from afar. You'll probably be able to outrun the first two parts of attack with ease then dodge away from the third one. At least with me she didn't do it back to back so just repeat the process...

*try to use something that wil hit her because she might just keep dodging indefinitely

For the second phase just pray she doesn't do it lol

tmdorsey

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 26, 2017
Georgia
I'm sure other people have done it but on a first playthrough I feel like most people would be drawn to exploring Altus or Caelid before going all the way to Leyndell. I know I basically just fully explored every other region before actually going into Leyndell on my first run.

I fully explored Altus also before the Capital since you kinda have to go through it to get to Leyndell. I'm really curious what the recommended area is after Lurina.

IvorB

Oct 28, 2017
Picked up a Carian knight's sword and this is a beautiful weapon. More than happy with this for melee right now.

Also found Terra Magika and retired Black Flame to focus on pure sorceries.

So, everything's coming along nicely.

katsu044

Mar 1, 2021
canada
Try to bait it after you deal around 25%-30% of damage, then throw some shit at her* from afar. You'll probably be able to outrun the first two parts of attack with ease then dodge away from the third one. At least with me she didn't do it back to back so just repeat the process...

*try to use something that wil hit her because she might just keep dodging indefinitely

For the second phase just pray she doesn't do it lol
yeah i'll most likely grab some knives to just chuck at her

as with a lot of fights its so RNG some times she'd do it at like not even 80% which is almost certain shes gonna do it again which is bad luck others i'd have her sub 40% waiting on it

Oct 29, 2017
yeah i'll most likely grab some knives to just chuck at her

as with a lot of fights its so RNG some times she'd do it at like not even 80% which is almost certain shes gonna do it again which is bad luck others i'd have her sub 40% waiting on it
I have noticed that a good indication that the waterfowl is coming is when you deal around that ~30% of damage she might spin away from you so I would just hang back and bait

Standing still and throwing two projectiles was usually the best way to bait it for me

Ricker

Oct 27, 2017
Beautiful Province of Quebec.
I have no clue where to go in Farum Azula,I have 7 Graces but I keep going in a circle it seems...want to finish this game this week...at 180 hours,level 150,starting to get my fill lol...

I am betting I need to kill that sleeping white Dragon maybe,or is he optional?

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
I have no clue where to go in Farum Azula,I have 7 Graces but I keep going in a circle it seems...want to finish this game this week...at 180 hours,level 150,starting to get my fill lol...

I am betting I need to kill that sleeping white Dragon maybe,or is he optional?

He is optional. The area people get lost is the room with a Crucible Knight there is actually a drop off, I think on the right? If you cant find the Crucible Knight, He is up a staircase from the Dragon Alter Grace. There is a stairwell there that is a little hidden.

John Harker

Knows things...
Oct 27, 2017
Santa Destroy
Margit Shackle to fuck up the chariots in the capital hero grave still works!! Was worried it would be patched out by the time I got here but when a relief, one and done 😅

katsu044

Mar 1, 2021
canada
I have noticed that a good indication that the waterfowl is coming is when you deal around that ~30% of damage she might spin away from you so I would just hang back and bait

Standing still and throwing two projectiles was usually the best way to bait it for me
good to know will continue to chip away at it through out the week since it's the one thing i currently hop on ER right now for, today was the first time i really tried learning it

Hotbug

Dec 3, 2020
I just saw a streamer instant kill G Duo when bleed procced at their halfway point.

I'm getting a number of spooky glitches in Duo co-op tonight including the status proc instakill...but also whatever this is...

We waited another minute and a half then left. :(

Alpheus

Oct 25, 2017
With Bloodhound step remaining untouched adjustments-wise, I honesty think the best way to handle it is to remove it as an Ash of War and somehow make it or quickstep the default roll if you're at low weight cuz what's present now is only gonna eventually feel like a redux to everyone ninja flipping in havel's, if it hasn't gotten to that vibe already, but that's definitely something I disliked in DS1 and was glad to see it adjusted then. IDK maybe it's cuz I dislike most of the high poise body pieces (in terms of looks, but there are some good ones I will readily admit that) but low equip weight feels like it needs something going for it cuz otherwise there's no reason not to stack poise and I say that as someone who likes his mages and battle mages chonky and tanky and bruiser-esque.

But IDK maybe being restricted to lighter pose affair due to your build requiring investments elsewhere or making use of the buffs to damage from specific damage boosting gear, makes how it's currently balanced ok, ugh I hate being of two minds on this sorta thing, the above is how I would definitely try to adjust things at the very least but maybe it would have awful knock on effects like being able to quickstep/BH step and having a offensive Ash of War available simultaneously and maybe that's just too spicy, given that you can do so currently you just have to deal with command queue-ing with regards to weapon swapping your offhand mid combat. (Though that line of thought can go two ways given whether you agree/disagree with the notion that current input queueing feels bottlenecked or whether its fine as it is currently).

Sorry this is kinda out of the blue but figured a decent discussion* could be had on not just Bloodhound Step but maybe small adjustments you'd like to see made in your opinion ofc.

*: Or maybe I'm just overthinking about an Ash of War XD