• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ricker

Oct 27, 2017
Beautiful Province of Quebec.
Skeleton Militia Ashes

They just keep reviving if bosses don't hit them on the ground. They don't really do squat for damage but constantly annoy bosses for aggro.

Got a frost or bleed weapon?

I am a Samurai,I have a fully maxed Nagakiba and Uchi that have bleed,maybe I change the Naga from left to right hand now,I have Rivers of blood but I would need to respec,same with Moonveil...my problem is probably vigor,3 hits and I am dead...ill post my stats in a few but its mostly Dex/End/Vigor and the last 5 levels I pumped strenght.I am using spinning slash but I could retry the blood one its just the wind up is so much slower then spinning slash...

Last edited:

DPB

Nov 1, 2017
Did they nerf Rock Sling in the last patch? I'm fighting a dragon and it doesn't seem to doing any posture damage anymore, it used to be my go to spell as it would break them in 3 or 4 casts.

Arctic Chris

Dec 5, 2017
Ottawa Canada
All I can say about that is that the boss as the end of Azula is much harder, won't spoil it other than it's pretty much the peak of bosses that don't give you a second to rest
I found the Draconic Knight to be far more difficult. Very narrow area to fight in with few options for a breather. Constantly attempting to stay on the shield side of the knight was exhausting and simply not possible for me depending on where the knight and the horse was positioned. Move away for a potion and get hit with lightning. Staying in constant close combat was very doable with my Strength character with shield and heavy armour. Not so easy with my Astrologer.

I found the next boss quite easy in comparison, once as an Astrologer (with Tiche) and a second run through, as a Strength character, no summons (ash or otherwise). Those three "columns" in the battle area provide great cover for kiting, or simply breathing space to quaff a health potion.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
I stuck with Skeleton Militia Ashes for like 90%+ of the game. Not because they're useful for damage, but because having two enemies that respawn continually unless they're given a deathblow when downed meant I had two additional sources of aggro at almost all times, allowing me to take opportune heavy attacks and poise break. They accompanied my greatsword + shield STR build beautifully.

Until the end game, where I swapped them out for Black Knife Tiche, who just fucking rips the shit out of everything.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
I found the Draconic Knight to be far more difficult. Very narrow area to fight in with few options for a breather. Constantly attempting to stay on the shield side of the knight was exhausting and simply not possible for me depending on where the knight and the horse was positioned. Move away for a potion and get hit with lightning. Staying in constant close combat was very doable with my Strength character with shield and heavy armour. Not so easy with my Astrologer.

I found the next boss quite easy in comparison, once as an Astrologer (with Tiche) and a second run through, as a Strength character, no summons (ash or otherwise). Those three "columns" in the battle area provide great cover for kiting, or simply breathing space to quaff a health potion.

My build was mostly based around blocking with greatshield which didn't really work against him, I think I found him the third hardest in the game behind Mohg at no. 1 then Malenia at 2

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
Chaos2Frozen, we seem to be at the some point in the game. lol. Finally got to Malenia last night for the first time and yeah, she's some shit, in a good way though. I'm not hating battling her. I would say I'm enjoying battling her. Aside from Waterfowl, her first phase feels kinda like the fight against Lady Maria in Bloodborne. Only saw her 2nd phase a few times before hitting the bed and jeez initially that doesn't look like it's going be fun at all. Haha.

lol, I was able to get her to 2nd phase on my own power as a proof of concept, but subsequently I tried summoning Tyche who does speed things up but doesn't necessarily bring me success. One bad decision during waterfowl is enough to ruin the run.

I'm thinking I'll just finish up the rest of the game and then really hunker down and grind her out, only left 2-3 more main story bosses.

venom slime

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
Lisbon, Portugal
Started a fresh run today instead of going for NG+. Gonna preserve my other save for when there's DLC (fingers crossed!).

Went with bandit this time around. Want to make full use of item crafting, greases, bows and whatnot.

Thinking of experimenting a bit with daggers / whips. Want to fully avoid katanas (not really my cup of tea). Anyone got any tips for a dex/arcane build?

Jamesways

Oct 28, 2017
Minneapolis
Started a fresh run today instead of going for NG+. Gonna preserve my other save for when there's DLC (fingers crossed!).

Went with bandit this time around. Want to make full use of item crafting, greases, bows and whatnot.

Thinking of experimenting a bit with daggers / whips. Want to fully avoid katanas (not really my cup of tea). Anyone got any tips for a dex/arcane build?
Dual Twinblade frost bleed works well with dex/arc. But everyone does that aside from katanas.

platypotamus

Oct 25, 2017
Did they nerf Rock Sling in the last patch? I'm fighting a dragon and it doesn't seem to doing any posture damage anymore, it used to be my go to spell as it would break them in 3 or 4 casts.
Seemed fine to me against dragons last night. Make sure you are target locked to their head rather than another body part or it takes more hits to stagger I think

tmdorsey

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 26, 2017
Georgia
lol, I was able to get her to 2nd phase on my own power as a proof of concept, but subsequently I tried summoning Tyche who does speed things up but doesn't necessarily bring me success. One bad decision during waterfowl is enough to ruin the run.

I'm thinking I'll just finish up the rest of the game and then really hunker down and grind her out, only left 2-3 more main story bosses.

My most success has been with my +10 Mimic, of course your right though Waterfowl will ruin a run in a second. I think I've got a pretty good strategy for her so I'm gonna try to grind it out and beat her before getting to the rest of the story bosses.

General question, I really hate looking up stuff and following guides when gaming but man the NPC quests are sooo damn vague in this that I feel I have no choice. Is that what most people are doing? Following guides for the side quests in the game?

Ricker

Oct 27, 2017
Beautiful Province of Quebec.
My most success has been with my +10 Mimic, of course your right though Waterfowl will ruin a run in a second. I think I've got a pretty good strategy for her so I'm gonna try to grind it out and beat her before getting to the rest of the story bosses.

General question, I really hate looking up stuff and following guides when gaming but man the NPC quests are sooo damn vague in this that I feel I have no choice. Is that what most people are doing? Following guides for the side quests in the game?

Yep and even then I messed up a few...I lost track of Blaaid during the whole Ranni quest...I think,someone mentionned a thing I didnt think of doing,not spoiling,but I might go and try that...

I went to the Evergaol where you hear him howl but didnt think of using the snapping fingers emote again,not sure if that was before Ranni or going to Nokron

Deleted member 91227

Feb 4, 2021

Definitely to both. My Mimic was more useful than Tiche for getting past that boss. Still took a lot of attempts and good RNG with getting waterfowl fewer times etc.

The sidequests I don't see how many players would finish many of them without looking things up as they can be very obtuse. These games were always built around wanting players to discover things and share things with each other. I wouldn't suggest playing the whole game with a guide, but definitely think it's wise to look up guides for sidequests, Google things as needed etc. Especially for people like me who'll only do one playthrough.

Barrett2

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Finished the game last night at L175 (I REALLY took my time exploring). Started new game plus, and holy hell I think I can beat it again much quicker this second play through than I was anticipating. Defeated Maragit and Godrick pretty easily. I stuck with Moonveil for most of first playthrough, so for this second run i'm gonna try to mostly use magic. My main hesitation starting new game plus was I wanted to help others fight Malenia a few times, but after seeing how quickly i'm breezing through the early game, I think I can get back to her in a few days. This game rocks.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017

Yeah pretty much.

Initially I try not to rely on it too much but after a few critical misses (I lost my chance to get the magic scorpion tailsman) I decided not to risk it especially now that I'm in endgame.

Dec 12, 2017
Lake of Rot is more like mid-game imo, unless you're doing it after you've completed the capital. You shouldn't really be getting one shot against any enemies there at 40 vigour, coz I had a similar amount of vigour while doing it and never got one-shot by anything. Are you using that trash soreseal? If yes, then flush it down the toilet, especially if you're wearing lighter armour.
Just Juno Hoslow as an example. The fact that NPC invaders get unlimited stamina, unlimited FP, can teleport and break any poise is crazy. I feel like FS saw someone beating DS3 without getting hit and said that's not acceptable

jblanco

Oct 27, 2017
I would suggest doing it the opposite way. I only marked stuff I did not complete/explore/simply got stuck on. That made it very easy for me to find what I had not completed. If something was not even on my map, I knew I had to find the location and complete it. Kept my map clean and easy to find stuff.

This is smart but also.... too late for me lol

Jamesways

Oct 28, 2017
Minneapolis
That seems nice! I used a twinblade for a bit on my first playthrough and it was a lot of fun. Only reason I shelved it was because I eventually got the dark moon gs.

I'll give it a go. Could be useful when I need a bit more reach - thanks!
Godskin Peeler with Eleonora's Poleblade are just monsters with a full Dex/Arc setup. Jumping R1 while duel wielding is really OP. Add in the talismans, gear, and buffs, and you can shred bosses really fast.

xChildofhatex

Oct 25, 2017
Just Juno Hoslow as an example. The fact that NPC invaders get unlimited stamina, unlimited FP, can teleport and break any poise is crazy. I feel like FS saw someone beating DS3 without getting hit and said that's not acceptable
Oh yeah, that asshole... I think I just scraped through in that fight mostly coz he ran out of heals before I did. If you have some fast, delayed tracking spells he's easier than if you take him on using melee weapons.
Bleed weapons make quick work of most humanoid enemies but he's really, really annoying so I had issues with him even with my fully upgraded Bloody Helice and blood godskin stitcher. However, at that point of the game (mountaintop of giants) I had 50 vigour so he wasn't one-shotting me.

Nintenleo

Nov 9, 2017
Italy
Platinumed the game last night, took me 109 hours to go through the game twice (on the second journey I used the trick to activate two endings in a single playthrough).

It's been such a great experience. Ended NG+ at level 205. It's been so weird spending 105 hours in the first playthrough while finishing the game the second time in less than 5 hours.

Marengo

Shinra Employee
Oct 28, 2017
So, how much 'bullshit' is in Elden Ring? By 'bullshit' I mean things in Dark Souls like the curse status effect, Lautrec killing the Ash Maiden, or Orstein & Smough. I'm not sure I can take the grief...

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
Man I'm still pumped about beating M solo. Kinda want to do it again. What a sick fight to grind

tjlee2

Oct 27, 2017
So, how much 'bullshit' is in Elden Ring? By 'bullshit' I mean things in Dark Souls like the curse status effect, Lautrec killing the Ash Maiden, or Orstein & Smough. I'm not sure I can take the grief...

-Curse isn't common. Only a few enemies have it and most instances can be easily nullified.

-No NPC killing npc this time around.

-Plethora of duo bosses, only one is mandatory.

BloodHound

Oct 27, 2017

I'd like to meet the people who completed Ranni's entire questline without looking at a guide.

Oct 29, 2017
I think Maliketh stresses me out way more than Malenia even if I just defeated him after a couple tries lol First phase is really annoying he moved away too much and it can be hard to hit him even i if you ar close

I didn't find them that bad the main problem is that the game clearly expects a certain progression path for the player but the game being so open just means a lot of people won't do it like that lol Overall is just talking to them until they move then finding them again

Dec 12, 2017
Oh yeah, that asshole... I think I just scraped through in that fight mostly coz he ran out of heals before I did. If you have some fast, delayed tracking spells he's easier than if you take him on using melee weapons.
Bleed weapons make quick work of most humanoid enemies but he's really, really annoying so I had issues with him even with my fully upgraded Bloody Helice and blood godskin stitcher. However, at that point of the game (mountaintop of giants) I had 50 vigour so he wasn't one-shotting me.
Yeah, it's just to the point where I'm strafing for a minute for that 5 second window to attack.

AtmaPhoenix

Oct 25, 2017
The Internet
I'd like to meet the people who completed Ranni's entire questline without looking at a guide.

The sad thing is, I feel like Ranni's quest is actually the most straightforward. For a lot of the quest legs, you're explicitly told who you need to find/the region they'll be in and where to go. Finding the people in said region is the hard part.

The worst ambiguous part is when you find the doll and have to keep talking to it at one specific bonfire with no prompting, though.

Jun 24, 2019
It has been slain!!

Putrid Tree Spirit in War-Dead Catacombs can go fuck itself!

giphy.webp

chachee

Oct 27, 2017
I need some sorcery help. I'm about lvl 95, messing around in Leyndall. Up till now, I've mostly been sticking with the pebble for common mobs, rock sling for minibosses and bosses, Loretta's Great Bow when I want to snipe and whatever iteration of Glintblade Phalanx I'm currently rolling with. My functional, post talisman Int is 52 so Comet Azur is out for now. I don't really mess around with the sword spells because the Moonveil is pretttttty good. I'm not even occupying all my Memory Stone slots cause I rather scroll through faster than have more spells.

So, what other spells are part of your must haves repertoire?

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
I can't decide whether to do NG or do a new run.

Any suggestion?
Go into NG+ with all your loot, and try stuff out. You're so overpowered you can have a lot of crazy fun. And you can ignore all the catacombs and focus on smashing through the big bosses.

When that gets old, start a new run. I took my first character to level 300, and now they're retired. My new character will not go into NG+, so i can use them in the DLC.

Avik-G

alt account
Banned
Jul 27, 2021
I need some sorcery help. I'm about lvl 95, messing around in Leyndall. Up till now, I've mostly been sticking with the pebble for common mobs, rock sling for minibosses and bosses, Loretta's Great Bow when I want to snipe and whatever iteration of Glintblade Phalanx I'm currently rolling with. My functional, post talisman Int is 52 so Comet Azur is out for now. I don't really mess around with the sword spells because the Moonveil is pretttttty good. I'm not even occupying all my Memory Stone slots cause I rather scroll through faster than have more spells.

Shard Spiral is an absolute beast. Unlocked it a few hours ago and I am just ripping through everything with it. Has the same sort of range as Pebble but can absolutely melt large bosses and creatures and it stun locks them so they stand still nicely for you as well. Its like a giant win button. Need to finish Selena's quest to get it though.

Selena's questline is worth doing though. You get Shard Spiral and two of the coolest looking armors in the game.

Other than that, my set up is exactly same as yours. I did try Comet Azur but I dont have the infinite FP tear yet and it burned too much FP to be effective. Plus it needs the target enemy to be pretty much standing still.

platypotamus

Oct 25, 2017

I'm about 10 levels higher than you and currently have equipped:

Glintstone Pebble still. I MAY finally give it up soonish... it's just so efficient FP-wise for weak enemies... but FP hasn't REALLY been a concern for me for awhile, the vast majority of the time.
Glintstone Arc still <-- probably the next one to go away
Comet - new, don't use often yet because I use my sword version instead usually but keeping it around for shenanigans with...
Terra Mystica - I don't have the last piece or two to meme combo with comet yet, but they still pair pretty well, and I use this other times sometimes, but mostly I just let my mimic cast it and then take advantage :)
Rock Sling - I will never stop using this, probably, it is too good. Staggers foes often, great damage, great range
Glintstone Blade - The delay on this and fact that you can queue up a bunch makes it super good for a quick gank, and also it can work as an "ambush shot" due to the delay, if you launch some and back up while a big shield jerk is coming at you, he will often pass them up and get shot in the squish back
Oracular Bubble - new, slow, but good damage and minor aoe. May keep around, may replace, not sure.

I also use a fair amount of FP on my Sword of Night and Flame's two sword arts, its version of Comet is currently more powerful than my spell version, and its Fire Slash thing is better than any of my fire sorceries.

Radec

Oct 26, 2017
Did they tweak Radahn again?
Im on ng+2 and the npc summons almost took his health to 50% while I was casting my self buffs lol

Nacho Papi

Oct 27, 2017
Alright Era...let's speculate, TOGETHAAA!

DLC 1: October 2022
DLC 2: March 2023

You think that'll happen?

Will there be a DLC 3 or more?

Draper

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Harrisburg, PA
Go into NG+ with all your loot, and try stuff out. You're so overpowered you can have a lot of crazy fun. And you can ignore all the catacombs and focus on smashing through the big bosses.

When that gets old, start a new run. I took my first character to level 300, and now they're retired. My new character will not go into NG+, so i can use them in the DLC.

Thanks!

Oct 29, 2017
I honestly dropped glintstone pebble super early, there are much cooler spells and it's no THAT good like some people said

Alright Era...let's speculate, TOGETHAAA!

DLC 1: October 2022
DLC 2: March 2023

You think that'll happen?

Will there be a DLC 3 or more?
Two is already optimistic I think lol I can see a single big one or two medium sized... No more than that

Astro Cat

Mar 29, 2019
I'm at the very end of the game now, just have Maliketh, Melania, and the Dragonlord. I've been messing around in there areas and I just can't manage to find any of that. I need to rewatch the FightinCowboy walkthrough videos again, I haven't played it for like 2 weeks.