Status
Not open for further replies.

AOL Power User

alt account
Banned
Oct 4, 2021
Seattle, WA
Damnit. I caved to FOMO, bought this, and I'm already getting close to dropping it after about five hours. This is entirely on me, because I have been burned out on the Soulsborne formula for a while now, but I really thought this would be dramatically different. In reality, so far, it feels like Dark Souls in an open world.

Will the game take a major detour or big shift in direction at any point, or is this a lesson to not cave to FOMO? Thankfully, my friend is willing to buy this off of me for slightly less than I bought it for if I'm not into it.

Edit: I really want to stress that me bouncing off of it has nothing to do with the quality of the game - I'm just exhausted from Soulsborne games.

Manu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Elden Ring has some major arguments in its favor. It's basically Dark Souls 4, and a natural extension of the series since Demon's Souls.

It makes sense, right? We've all wondered, what if Dark Souls was an actual open world? That's Elden Ring. I think it's much closer to a Souls game than Bloodborne is.

But Bloodborne, man. Imagine they just port it to PC and put in on Steam. I'm no marketing genius but it will absolutely kill, especially after after the success of Elden Ring.

Just give me a 60 fps PS5 patch. That's all. It's dumb that I can play the entire series (including DeS thanks to the remake) at 60 fps on PS5 except for Bloodborne.

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020
I think they should keep this design style but tone down the damage done a little.
Also lower the HP like the DSIII bosses, they were easy for me because while they were faster than previous Souls they had only 4000-7000HP until the DLC, that is the sweetspot instead of having 20k and only doing damage with the stomp by the end lmao

En-ou

Oct 27, 2017
Some of the bosses are way overused, IMO.
Its tough to get away from this in open world games unless your dev team is over 1000 ppl or add another 1 to 2 years.
Besides when the gameplay is fun I could fight the same thing 100 times. People forget that video games are a type of thing you repeat many times.

silva1991

Oct 26, 2017
You can't be serious with this shit.

I have to beat Radagon every time I want to fight the beast is BS. They did it so right in Bloodborne with Gehrman/moon presence

And before you tell me about sekiro that was also BS but at least the guy before Ishin days in like 5 seconds. Radagon is a tank with too much health

This ain't it FROM.

This will likely be the first time I summon for a final boss in a FROM game and it sucks.

Enforcer

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Probably my biggest gripe outside of technical issues was the reused bosses. One of the evergoals even used a main story boss lol. I understand this is just reality for such a huge world but I would have rather them reduce the map 20%.

Fleet of Foot

Oct 27, 2017
Springboro, OH
About 40 hours in, I'm kind of let down and kinda feel like quitting. The openess of this game is a double-edged sword. I have so many ways I can go but no indication of which one I should. And now every way I try seems to be wrong.

I've explored a lot. I have found a ton of items, some hidden pretty well. And almost every one I find is disappointing. I constantly find myself picking up an item and thinking "no idea what the hell this even does." I've played all the souls games but this one seems especially directionless. I don't buy the "you can do anything you want!" argument.

Each time I open a chest, it's something I can't use or don't know what it does. I have never had an inventory in a game full of so much useless shit, or stuff that's just inscrutable. I really don't feel like Googling every item I get. I feel so lost at this point with no idea how to proceed. I have a lot of areas of the map open, with a million fast travel points.

Worst is that I come here and read about how the bosses I haven't seen yet are impossible and that makes it feel even more hopeless.

This game is just too big and a lot of it is boring.

Alpheus

Oct 25, 2017
Please coop help. Can't play with my brother!

-He is on PS4Pro, I am on PS5
-We both have PS Plus
-We both set the same password for multiplayer and settings are enabled
-I put a Tarnished Furled Finger sign on the spot
-He attempts to find it via Furlcalling Finger Remedy
-Nothing. We tried it both ways for an hour now.

Why is this so hard???
My buddy and I had this issue after awhile in Limgrave, hasn't occurred since, idk if I past a threshold on zone bosses or level or what but I got the impression the game wanted me to move the hell on to the next zone, so I did XD

Robiin

Oct 26, 2017
I'm at a standstill and can't decide where to conitnue, and instead I end up not playing for some reason.

Can someone help nudge me in the "right" direction, and decide what I should tackle first?

As I see I have four options:
1. Volcano Manor, I have beaten one boss here and can continue onwards but I'm afraid to break the quest (invading NPCs for the lady, I have two marked red on my map in areas I haven't been to. I have also spoken to the lizard lady enough for her and the mom to know that I know what she is)
2. Exploring Caelid. I have been around after getting teleported here early, but not done much except unlocking some grace sites. Got scared because there were a lot of dragons and big guys everywhere.
3. Kill Radahn. Been here and tried him once, got one shot by him turning into a fucking meteor and figured I was underlevelled. That was like 20 hours ago though.
4. Exploring the Capital Leyndell. This is where I am now, but the zone seems to be full of hard-hitters.

I don't know what the game "expects" me to do first, and I have a hard time choosing which wall to bang my head against...

smocaine

Oct 30, 2019
My opinion is starting to sour on this game. It's too big for its own good. The novelty is wearing off. From's camera sucks ass and god knows why they insist on doing camera breaking-sized bosses. The map's size is impressive in scale, but it's samey. The northern area is the map is same geometry as the starting area, but white. Lob off like 1/2 of the map (ridding repeated bosses in the process) and the game would be better for it.
Perhaps From thought players would skip more of the game and make their own tighter experience? Like how BotW has tons of shrines/korok seeds, but players only do a fraction of them. But with how leveled you have to be in the late game, it doesn't seem like it...
The sense of discovery dwindles to the point you're just going through the motions, looting, etc. because of the predictability and repeated content.
The first 20hrs~ were some of the best I've had with a game in ages, though. It was like playing DeS again for the first time...

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020
My opinion is starting to sour on this game. It's too big for its own good. The novelty is wearing off. From's camera sucks ass and god knows why they insist on doing camera breaking-sized bosses. The map's size is impressive in scale, but it's samey. The northern area is the map is same geometry as the starting area, but white. Lob off like 1/2 of the map (ridding repeated bosses in the process) and the game would be better for it.
Perhaps From thought players would skip more of the game and make their own tighter experience? Like how BotW has tons of shrines/korok seeds, but players only do a fraction of them. But with how leveled you have to be in the late game, it doesn't seem like it...
The sense of discovery dwindles to the point you're just going through the motions, looting, etc. because of the predictability and repeated content.
The first 20hrs~ were some of the best I've had with a game in ages, though. It was like playing DeS again for the first time...
Those first 40-50h while surprisingly tough for me were some of the best I've ever had with a game, then it drops off unfortunately imo

KayMote

Nov 5, 2017
Okay, I just need a quick confirmation: I need to go to the acadamy as the next dungeon, but exploring the map brought me to Caria Manor.

Please tell me that this is the actual dungeon AFTER the Acadamy, so I can back out again, because those hands seem simply unkillable for me at this point...

Theecliff

Oct 28, 2017
the crucible knights are such horribly hard enemies/bosses (my heart dropped when they turned up together at the end of a hero's grave as a boss duo) that i've just resorted to hoarfrost stomp spamming them whenever they turn up

Oct 25, 2017
Taiwan
Welp steam thought the game was running for the last 6 hours I was sleeping yet there is no process so this sucks lol.

Weird thing was I the game wasn't running when I went to bed.

AOL Power User

alt account
Banned
Oct 4, 2021
Seattle, WA
Damnit. I caved to FOMO, bought this, and I'm already getting close to dropping it after about five hours. This is entirely on me, because I have been burned out on the Soulsborne formula for a while now, but I really thought this would be dramatically different. In reality, so far, it feels like Dark Souls in an open world.

Will the game take a major detour or big shift in direction at any point, or is this a lesson to not cave to FOMO? Thankfully, my friend is willing to buy this off of me for slightly less than I bought it for if I'm not into it.

Edit: I really want to stress that me bouncing off of it has nothing to do with the quality of the game - I'm just exhausted from Soulsborne games.
Related to my post above, this is making me want to not continue playing. God damnit.

Robiin

Oct 26, 2017
Okay, I just need a quick confirmation: I need to go to the acadamy as the next dungeon, but exploring the map brought me to Caria Manor.

Please tell me that this is the actual dungeon AFTER the Acadamy, so I can back out again, because those hands seem simply unkillable for me at this point...
Academy was easier than Caria Manor, for me - although I did Caria Manor first.

Caria Manor leads to a few big side quests which is nice but Academy is the intended path after doing Limgrave, I think.

Jisgsaw

Oct 27, 2017

I'd say not really no, the first area gives you a good overview of how the game is mechanically.

About 40 hours in, I'm kind of let down and kinda feel like quitting. The openess of this game is a double-edged sword. I have so many ways I can go but no indication of which one I should. And now every way I try seems to be wrong.

I've explored a lot. I have found a ton of items, some hidden pretty well. And almost every one I find is disappointing. I constantly find myself picking up an item and thinking "no idea what the hell this even does." I've played all the souls games but this one seems especially directionless. I don't buy the "you can do anything you want!" argument.

Each time I open a chest, it's something I can't use or don't know what it does. I have never had an inventory in a game full of so much useless shit, or stuff that's just inscrutable. I really don't feel like Googling every item I get. I feel so lost at this point with no idea how to proceed. I have a lot of areas of the map open, with a million fast travel points.

Worst is that I come here and read about how the bosses I haven't seen yet are impossible and that makes it feel even more hopeless.

This game is just too big and a lot of it is boring.
You can press square in the inventory for a description of items.
The only cryptic ones I can think of are some key items, but finding how to use them is part of their quests.

Also I have the impression that complains about bosses are usually from people not using summons, they make most bosses easier. Though i haven't seen the last handful, bosses, maybe thatll cchange.

KayMote

Nov 5, 2017
Academy was easier than Caria Manor, for me - although I did Caria Manor first.

Caria Manor leads to a few big side quests which is nice but Academy is the intended path after doing Limgrave, I think.

Thx then I think I will try either just running by past these hands or just head back into the direction of the Acadamy.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Game just keeps getting bette the further I go. 100 hours in now and I'm about done with Limegrove, Liurnia, and Caelid.

I keep thinking an area is done and I stumble upon a hidden path that opens up into a larger area. Or a unique boss, or a unique dungeon.

This open world is incredible, it's going to make it very hard going back to others

Icarian

May 9, 2018
It seems From has changed how Infusions/Ashes of War work in ER and they're a bit more flexible this time around.

I'm running a Quality build with 10 more DEX than STR, I wanted to take a look at Colossal weapons to change things a bit but I didn't know which one to upgrade so I started to upgrade a couple of them I'm familiar with, Zwei and Greatsword. Default Zwei scales better with DEX while Greatsword has always been a STR weapon but both of them get B/B scaling with a Quality ash (most weapons in ER do), still, One would think that since I have more DEX than STR, scaling on the Zwei would be better but nope, Greatsword gets better + dmg than the Zwei does. Same deal with Flamberge and Claymore, Claymore gets more damage on the stats based side despite the Flamberge being a DEX weapon.

I wonder if that means I can run any weapon I want with a Quality Ash since most of them end up with B/B Scaling as opposed to Heavy or Keen, where depending on the weapon you get B/A/S scaling.

john385

Oct 26, 2017
I need a recommendation for a good Faith build.
I adored the Blessed Mirdan Hammer build way back in Demon's Souls.
A Faith stomping Paladin-like tank that obliterates everything in its path.
Gimme!
Prefered stats distribution for start. Gear not that important (I'm only 5 hrs in).

CupOfDoom

Dec 17, 2017
I'm not sure what they can do because there is a sizable minority of people who hate the complex boss design in ER which is fair but I don't think they can ever go back to DS1 style bosses because the player base just seems too good to be walled by those types of bosses anymore. Maybe the combat system and engine need to be revamped because boss complexity can't keep going up to combat increasing player skill and knowledge (seven games worth at this point) because at some point the bosses will have to become ridiculous in order to stop players from beating them in one or two attempts.
For me, its not so much the complexity of the fights but, that From has one bag of tricks that they use for every fight. Every major boss has; a 12 hit combo, a circle strafe punish, a delayed attack that punishes dodging out quickly, infinite stamina, and an attack that does 80+% of your hp. Individually these are good ways to make fights more interesting/hard but, the fact that so many bosses do all of these makes them exhausting.

It feels like along the way, From forgot that there are other ways to make fights interesting and, that is okay if a boss can be beat without the player dodging perfectly.

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020
If this game gets DLC I hope it's more closed off and focused areas, also please From calm down with the difficulty and don't make every boss a beast

Smashed_Hulk

Jun 16, 2018
If you can take a video of your fight with him, especially one where you can get him to phase 2, people can give you some feedback. If you can't get him to phase 2, then your longest video will do!
I get him to phase 2 consistently now. That's where im having issues when the combo flurries increase. Im level 48 vagabond. 25 vigor, 20 endur, 26 str, 22 dex. Shield & lord straight sword +2. I think i need to see more of his 2nd half patterns and should be able to get him.

Which spirit summon are you using, have you tried Jellyfish?
Wolves. Ill give jellyfish a try

Jisgsaw

Oct 27, 2017
I'm at a standstill and can't decide where to conitnue, and instead I end up not playing for some reason.

Can someone help nudge me in the "right" direction, and decide what I should tackle first?

As I see I have four options:
1. Volcano Manor, I have beaten one boss here and can continue onwards but I'm afraid to break the quest (invading NPCs for the lady, I have two marked red on my map in areas I haven't been to. I have also spoken to the lizard lady enough for her and the mom to know that I know what she is)
2. Exploring Caelid. I have been around after getting teleported here early, but not done much except unlocking some grace sites. Got scared because there were a lot of dragons and big guys everywhere.
3. Kill Radahn. Been here and tried him once, got one shot by him turning into a fucking meteor and figured I was underlevelled. That was like 20 hours ago though.
4. Exploring the Capital Leyndell. This is where I am now, but the zone seems to be full of hard-hitters.

I don't know what the game "expects" me to do first, and I have a hard time choosing which wall to bang my head against...
I'd personally recommend 3, as that unlocks... things. Plus I found it was 1 cool fight.

Status
Not open for further replies.