• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Seriously, up your VIg to 40. Damage in this game doesn't work like other Souls, it's way higher tuned.

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020
Also find it funny that even with the Mimic just to get the platinum quickly M took 5-6 tries lmao, what a monster

Zeliard

Jun 21, 2019
Oh man, trying to help people beat Radahn in co-op is the real Dark Souls. That's where that boss's difficulty really comes through in a kind of ridiculous way.

Ponyboi gets a bigger HP bar which is rough enough, but the big thing is you don't have access to the horse. That alone makes the fight a million times harder and much more tedious than fighting him solo ("solo").

It's maybe the only fight I can think of in the entire Soulsborne series where summoning help makes the boss like an order of magnitude tougher.

Fire Emblem

Feb 13, 2022
If anyone is doing an INT or a INT/DEX build I recommend the Sword of Night and Flame and Moonveil. Those two weapons have helped progress the game tremendously.

krossj

Dec 4, 2017
I'm amazed by a lot going on but the best parts are the bits that feel like Dark Souls Dungeons like Stormveil and Leyndell

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020
Yeah. I have 45 vigor and am playing a pure melee str build. Been smooth sailing so far. Just got past the capital. I trade blows with bosses, its great. Ill probably go higher as well.
Unfortunately that's the last point the damage felt balanced enough around the soft cap, the next area after the capital the damage spikes up.

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, people need to put way, way more points in Vigor, but even a melee 'tank' build with closer to 2k HP can still be reliably two-shot by most boss attacks. Health wise I feel like you just need enough HP to survive a single hit and take fire/tick damage while you wait for an opening to pop a flask without the boss using it's punish.

Consider an attack that does say, 900 dmg with a 200 dmg burn effect. Someone with 1,200 HP and someone with 1,900 HP both die in two hits. There's no difference. All that matters is surviving long enough to pop a flask so you can survive another hit. And that's where it gets more complicated because their attacks are usually long multi-stage combos, involve AOE and ground hazards, or transition into another attack sequence.

So even if you survive a hit that might kill someone else instantly, you still have to perfectly time when to rise and lose your invulnerability frames and also when to roll away and get them back to avoid being insta-gibbed. There are some situations where even though you can technically survive two hits, it's still an effective OHKO because you can't actually avoid the second source of damage no matter how quickly or slow you get up.

Muetsch

Oct 27, 2017
Radahn is the definition of anti-fun. Just run around for hours summoning stuff 'till I get one shotted by some random meteor. And I'm a pure STR build so I have to rely on the summons. I'm getting 0 enjoyment out of this. I'll keep trying, but at some point I might just shelf the game. -3 points to the game just because of this boss.

I'm playing an almost pure STR build as well and imo your problem comes from all the running around.

Get your summons going and then get in there. Most of his attacks can be dodged or at least most damage mitigated. Also as long as you stay pretty close to him he will never actually shoot the meteors I think. He only shot them at me when I rode away, trying to get some buffs or summons in.

Especially one of his gravity attacks takes several seconds and if you can dodge under him it will give you a window of I'd say 5 seconds every gime.

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020
Oh man, trying to help people beat Radahn in co-op is the real Dark Souls. That's where that boss's difficulty really comes through in a kind of ridiculous way.

Ponyboi gets a bigger HP bar which is rough enough, but the big thing is you don't have access to the horse. That alone makes the fight a million times harder and much more tedious than fighting him solo ("solo").

It's maybe the only fight I can think of in the entire Soulsborne series where summoning help makes the boss like an order of magnitude tougher.
I'd say Midir is another one, the HP can get a bit... Let's say large

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
As much as I'm loving the game, and I'm loving it quite a bit, I'm getting real sick of the catacombs. The amount of bespoke content is really impressive, but it's a bummer to stumble upon a secret cave and realize "oh, it's another one of these."

I got the Mimic summon and jeez, you guys were not kidding about it being broken, lol.

TheWorthyEdge

Oct 25, 2017
Does it still one-shot you? If not then you should be able to see the second half of the fight in a reasonable amount of time and then decide from there if you want to keep going or look for more upgrades. It just has a ton of HP and takes a long time, so if you die it's very discouraging.
Nope! I only tried it once, he's just very tanky then.

Ogawa-san

Nov 1, 2017
Just got to one of those secret endgame areas. Can't-see-shit snowy part followed by invisible assassins, this is DS2 DLC territory.

Ponyboi gets a bigger HP bar which is rough enough, but the big thing is you don't have access to the horse.
Yeah, this makes some bosses SO much harder. It doesn't feel like it's intended, considering you can't mount even in the open world during co-op. It'd be a damn chore to help people outside closed areas.

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
I'm level 64 and maybe 70 hours in and I have no fucking clue what a Rune Arc is. Grants a blessing? Sure thing game.

I have used one spirit ash and can not figure our how the equipment stats page works. Why are there red numbers everywhere?

It took me a few dozen hours to figure out how to shoot a bow, but that was mostly because I didn't realize my greatbow wouldn't shoot normie arrows.

I hit 110 today and I've never used rune arcs.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Any coop veterans here?

Can PS4 players play with PS5? That's the only thing I can think because it sounds like you're doing everything correct. You don't need to activate summoning pools if you have a password enabled so I'm not sure what the issue is.

It can also take 20-30 seconds for a sign to pop up in their game.

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020
Godfrey is endgame? Dude is a chump.
His first phase is really easy, but his second is relentless, even with damage reduction and just one damage taken increase talisman to dodge one of his attacks better he was oneshotting me even though the debuff of the other talisman was smaller than the damage reduction buff

Mandelbo

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah I don't get it. There is one kinda boss that is overturned and she is completely optional. All the main story bosses were pretty reasonable on how to tackle them and didn't feel super bullshit.

Boss fights have never really been the draw to me for these games, but part of it for me is that it's a real big change of pace from the rest of the game. Prior to the last chunk of the game there aren't really a lot of mandatory bosses, you're kind of free to do things in whatever order you want, so the pace is a bit slower and there are generally larger gaps between the properly big fights. After the Fire Giant you get the Duo and Maliketh very close to one another, then straight after that you have Gideon, Godfrey, and the paired fight with Radagon and the Elden Beast with no normal enemies in between them. It's like they backloaded all the mandatory fights, and tbh it got kinda tiresome finishing one boss, walking up a flight of stairs to find another one, then going up yet another small set of stairs to find another boss. Feel like it really would have benefited from shifting some of them around and having more quiet time between them.

Personally they all kind of started to blend together by the end too, aside from Gideon. They're all fast moving, equally effective at long and close range, have huge AoE attacks, hit incredibly hard and generally have fairly small margins for error. I completely appreciate that the bosses have to be harder and more flexible in order to keep up with all the new tools you get given, but I don't particularly find fights like that fun, so it just felt like *a lot* to me. It's probably in part because I haven't played much of anything else since launch, but after pretty much all of those late game fights I was just glad it was over, which definitely wasn't the case with a lot of the earlier fights.

FWIW by this point in the game I was at like 45 VIG or so, which should surely be enough - although I did end up using Morgott's rune for extra health in the FINAL final boss

Biosnake

Oct 25, 2017
Beat Malenia, first boss to give me some trouble. But a very cool and fun fight and finally I got another weapon lol.

Fire Emblem

Feb 13, 2022

I agree. Radahn is actually easier using the in-game summons rather than a co-op summon. His HP is already lager enough with the boosting from co-op.

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020
Boss fights have never really been the draw to me for these games, but part of it for me is that it's a real big change of pace from the rest of the game. Prior to the last chunk of the game there aren't really a lot of mandatory bosses, you're kind of free to do things in whatever order you want, so the pace is a bit slower and there are generally larger gaps between the properly big fights. After the Fire Giant you get the Duo and Maliketh very close to one another, then straight after that you have Gideon, Godfrey, and the paired fight with Radagon and the Elden Beast with no normal enemies in between them. It's like they backloaded all the mandatory fights, and tbh it got kinda tiresome finishing one boss, walking up a flight of stairs to find another one, then going up yet another small set of stairs to find another boss. Feel like it really would have benefited from shifting some of them around and having more quiet time between them.

Personally they all kind of started to blend together by the end too, aside from Gideon. They're all fast moving, equally effective at long and close range, have huge AoE attacks, hit incredibly hard and generally have fairly small margins for error. I completely appreciate that the bosses have to be harder and more flexible in order to keep up with all the new tools you get given, but I don't particularly find fights like that fun, so it just felt like *a lot* to me. It's probably in part because I haven't played much of anything else since launch, but after pretty much all of those late game fights I was just glad it was over, which definitely wasn't the case with a lot of the earlier fights.

FWIW by this point in the game I was at like 45 VIG or so, which should surely be enough - although I did end up using Morgott's rune for extra health in the FINAL final boss
The second phase of the last boss is infuriatingly boring for a melee user especially when you can die if you get bad RNG on the order of attacks

Neki

Oct 25, 2017
Looking at older boss designs from older soul games I can see they're much more slower and telegraphed along with in some cases easier to stagger or lower health bars. This is just a point of view from someone who hasn't played any other FromSoft game besides Elden ring but I don't know if that kind of design would last long as player skill goes up along with the tools available to the player also increases. I guess it's funny because I thought the Elden ring boss design was the norm for souls games but the bosses used to be much more lumbering and more telegraphed based on what I've watched.

silva1991

Oct 26, 2017
Just bear Hourah Loax , delayed attacks extraordinaire. They took the worst aspects of this kind of boss design and put it there. Especially the second phase. Probably my least favorite major boss so far.

Manu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Looking at older boss designs from older soul games I can see they're much more slower and telegraphed along with in some cases easier to stagger or lower health bars. This is just a point of view from someone who hasn't played any other FromSoft game besides Elden ring but I don't know if that kind of design would last long as player skill goes up along with the tools available to the player also increases. I guess it's funny because I thought the Elden ring boss design was the norm for souls games but the bosses used to be much more lumbering and more telegraphed based on what I've watched.

Yep, Elden Ring bosses also did something I'm sure a lot of people will hate but I personally loved. Namely, MMO-like attacks with areas of effect and tells that give you ample warning to run away or jump over. It's a really strange thing for Souls bosses but I thought the implementation was mostly great, bar a few exceptions.

IvorB

Oct 28, 2017
Having had some time to stew my thoughts after finishing the game, I think there are fundamental issues with their design of the open world that really hamper the combat experience. The world is simply too large and too obscured to hide such critical gameplay items and resources behind them with no direction or guidance whatsoever. Rarely do you discover a path to something or a hint guiding you towards something, you literally have to stumble upon its exact location. In comparison to Ghosts of Tsushima, in which I barely ever used my map because the game had such a well-embedded visual language to communicate guidance towards sites of interest (even from long distances), I was constantly referencing my map in Elden Ring just to see if the particular graphics on the map implied that it *should* have something nearby.

This is most apparent with the weapon upgrade system, which is an already bad mechanic turned awful because it is completely dependent on whether you happen to explore specific hidden areas, which are very easily missable in of themselves but which have hidden areas/bodies inside them too. Hell, some areas are not even supposed to be hidden they're just so barely visible that you have to be coming from a specific angle/direction to even see it.

You can very easily get soft-locked out of upgrades because you just don't have enough of a particular number. Moreover, the very system itself is extraordinarily punishing because it forces you to commit to a select few weapons because the cost of trying to raise another to your level to experiment with it is far too high. So the game is constantly dumping all these new weapons on you and all you can think is:

"Gosh, it would be fun to try using that but I don't have the dozens of stones I need to make it remotely comparable to what I'm already using. And even if I did have the stones, it's not worth the risk of not liking the weapon. After all, I get new weapons so frequently that I should probably save them in case I get a really good weapon later on I want to use."

And it's not even a hard problem to address, your smith-forge NPC could very easily give generic hints about the rough locations of caves or mines that might be good sources of stones (e.g. "try looking around the north-east cliffs of X" or "south-west of castle Y"). Ideally you would replace the system entirely and just have boss-related forging tools to freely upgrade all weapons to a specific level. That way you can still gate access to the damage tiers by actual progression.

Along the same lines, the game world is just too large and too 'realistic' to make this kind of discovery reliable. You could safely cut the zone areas down by maybe 30% and still preserve all the sense of space and discovery. But things are so spread out and the assets so samey-looking that your eyes tend to gloss over as you're just riding Torrent back and forth along a cliff wall or ruins trying to find any carve-outs with a torch signaling a cave/tunnel/catacomb.

A good open world is not just about making a huge area and plopping things down in random locations and demanding the player thoroughly scour each and every inch in order to find things. You should be able to get a sense of where things might be just from a vista, and there should visual clues and tells to communicate both when something is far away, but also when something is nearby so you can shift from 'travel' mode into 'searching' mode.

Elden Ring does deliver on a majestic sense of scale and wonder (the entrance to the lakes probably being the biggest 'oh shit' moment) but the Dark Souls games have already been doing that from day one. I really didn't feel like the Open World itself added meaningful mechanical depth to the existing formula besides the novelty of being able to see the different zones in a non-linear fashion. Which is neat, but it also creates risk in that it allows players to access items/resources they normally shouldn't have until much later. In some zones, you can find trash mobs that pose little danger but give a huge amount of souls relative to the zone you're supposed to be in, increasing the risk of being over-levelled in a game that both over-levels you by default and where being over-leveled trivializes the entire middle third.

I gotta say I disagree with this. You have to get off your horse and search. The way it is now everything you find is so much more meaningful and valued. When you find that cave which is tricky to perceive through your thoroughness it feels great.

I really don't want 'the wind' or whatever telling we where to find stuff like Ghosts.

Having said that, there are pointers in the world I think they're just fairly subtle.

This is a world in the style of Morrowind; it's not handing you stuff. Stuff is there if you look for it.

Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't totally address your point, because you still have to find the damn things, but you can find bell bearings that allow you to purchase unlimited amounts of every level of stone (both regular and somber). The only truly limited equipment upgrade resource is the Ancient Dragon stone (and somber version), which is required for final upgrades. If you have enough runes, you can +24 or +9 any weapon in the game, and then elevate the dozen or so that you like best.

I'm not mad at you specifically just the logic of this argument, just a warning because I feel it merits caps lock haha.

NOTHING IN THE GAME HINTS BALL BEARINGS EXIST OR THAT THEY CAN PROVIDE STONES. INTERNET SEARCHES ARE NOT A REPLACEMENT FOR IN-GAME MECHANICS.

*exhales*. Whew. Anyway, did you self-discover the game mechanic of *some* ball bearings providing stones by yourself? And if you did, did you find all the locations by yourself or did you consult the internet for the rest?

Moff

Oct 26, 2017
Yep, Elden Ring bosses also did something I'm sure a lot of people will hate but I personally loved. Namely, MMO-like attacks with areas of effect and tells that give you ample warning to run away or jump over. It's a really strange thing for Souls bosses but I thought the implementation was mostly great, bar a few exceptions.
I definitely noticed that mmo influence as well

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not mad at you specifically just the logic of this argument, just a warning because I feel it merits caps lock haha.

NOTHING IN THE GAME HINTS BALL BEARINGS EXIST OR THAT THEY CAN PROVIDE STONES. INTERNET SEARCHES ARE NOT A REPLACEMENT FOR IN-GAME MECHANICS.

*exhales*. Whew. Anyway, did you self-discover the game mechanic of *some* ball bearings providing stones by yourself? And if you did, did you find all the locations by yourself or did you consult the internet for the rest?

At least one of the stone bell bearings is a boss drop in a relatively early mine dungeon, so it does stand to reason that there would be others.

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020
90h later and I've been able to jump everything except AOE, for some reason if I'm at the peak of my jump I get hit, I decided to just roll through explosions as usual

toadkarter

Oct 2, 2020
If anyone is doing an INT or a INT/DEX build I recommend the Sword of Night and Flame and Moonveil. Those two weapons have helped progress the game tremendously.

I'm really digging moonveil but would you suggest pumping faith to use night and flame? i think it's like 24 FTH requirement if I'm not mistaken, my faith is at 10 at the mo lol

John Dunbar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
some of you nerds give me a lore explanation for this late game thing:

what is the purpose of crumbling farum azula? why do you have to go there after the forge and not just straight for the erdtree?

GasProblem

Prophet of Truth
Nov 18, 2017
I'm playing an almost pure STR build as well and imo your problem comes from all the running around.

Get your summons going and then get in there. Most of his attacks can be dodged or at least most damage mitigated. Also as long as you stay pretty close to him he will never actually shoot the meteors I think. He only shot them at me when I rode away, trying to get some buffs or summons in.

Especially one of his gravity attacks takes several seconds and if you can dodge under him it will give you a window of I'd say 5 seconds every gime.

I'm trying but he just knocks me off my horse in one hit...

I don't know how long I'll keep trying.

Fire Emblem

Feb 13, 2022
I'm really digging moonveil but would you suggest pumping faith to use night and flame? i think it's like 24 FTH requirement if I'm not mistaken, my faith is at 10 at the mo lol
I just got my STR, DEX, and FTH to the required amount put this rest into mind and intelligence. Your normal r1 and r2 scale from all the stats. L2 and R2 scale using faith and the L2 and R1 scale using intelligence.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
oh

the lady in the
liurna or the lake gazeebo that invites you the volcano manor
actually mentions the shortcut to get to
altus plateau without having the medallion.
I didn't notice the first time.

I love how the game actually tells you this type of shit.

Oct 25, 2017

you get the first one from an early game mine...

Oct 25, 2017
At least one of the stone bell bearings is a boss drop in a relatively early mine dungeon, so it does stand to reason that there would be others.
you get the first one from an early game mine...

Did you personally find or explore that location before you learned about it on the internet though? Not whether a player could theoretically do it, did you do it that way? And again, even if you did, did you find the other locations yourself or did you look it up?

I don't mean to be antagonistic but it's not an argument to say it 'could' happen that way. The nature of an open world means most players do not follow a set path so things being available 'early' has nothing to do with whether they are reliably discoverable or signified as critically important.

Saying you need to randomly discover something to learn a mechanic even exists in the game is not justifiable (let alone giving direction on finding the rest of the ball bearings to make the mechanic actually usable). So many players just google stuff or read the wiki and then act like it's obvious in retrospect when it's anything but.

Manu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Did you personally find or explore that location before you learned about it on the internet though? Not whether a player could theoretically do it, did you do it that way? And again, even if you did, did you find the other locations yourself or did you look it up?

I don't mean to be antagonistic but it's not an argument to say it 'could' happen that way. The nature of an open world means most players do not follow a set path so things being available 'early' has nothing to do with whether they are reliably discoverable or signified as critically important.

Saying you need to randomly discover something to learn a mechanic even exists in the game is not justifiable (let alone giving direction on finding the rest of the ball bearings to make the mechanic actually usable). So many players just google stuff or read the wiki and then act like it's obvious in retrospect when it's anything but.

When you reach Roundtable Hold you have the two mummified ladies and one of the options when interacting with them is "offer Bell Bearing." At that point I had no idea what those were obviously but I only had to give them one later to figure out "oh, they're like the ashes in DS3." That's it.

Mar 8, 2018

Yeah I understand that it's frustrating. I did discover a bunch of the stone bell bearings during my playthrough. Not all of them, but I also wasn't super thorough. It was enough to fill in the gaps when I wanted to upgrade a new weapon, because I generally had a good amount of stones.

If I wanted to get them all I would probably have to look them up, but I think most of them can be found in certain types of locations (caves mostly).

toadkarter

Oct 2, 2020
I just got my STR, DEX, and FTH to the required amount put this rest into mind and intelligence. Your normal r1 and r2 scale from all the stats. L2 and R2 scale using faith and the L2 and R1 scale using intelligence.

Sounds good, I might check it out! I love how easy it is to respec in this game, makes trying different types of weapons a lot of fun

Status
Not open for further replies.