Votes: 10 1.1%
  • Miles Teg

Votes: 16 1.8%
  • Other (specify in thread and why)

Votes: 47 5.3%

• Total voters

Pavemaniac

Sep 10, 2019
Interesting quote, translated from an interview in the latest edition of Il Venerdì di Repubblica:

Denis Villeneuve said:
"I wanted the film to be believable, I didn't look for exoticism. I wanted everyday light, not perfect sunsets or sunrises. I wanted it to be accessible and understandable. Only then would viewers focus on the characters and their relationships, without being distracted."

Taken from Twitter

I've read a lot of criticism that the film doesn't look 'exotic' enough and/or that it looks very washed-out and dull. It seems Villeneuve was aware of what would be expected by some with a Dune adaptation but purposely chose not to go down that route.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Interesting quote, translated from an interview in the latest edition of Il Venerdì di Repubblica:

Taken from Twitter

I've read a lot of criticism that the film doesn't look 'exotic' enough and/or that it looks very washed-out and dull. It seems Villeneuve was aware of what would be expected by some with a Dune adaptation but purposely chose not to go down that route.
I agree with his decision.

west

Oct 28, 2017
About the color temperature. Arakkis should have a white sun right? It's mentioned in the books, there is so little water in the atmostphere that the sky is not blue, rather almost black in the day and the sun is white not yellow. So the cold colors in the movie is more correct than the posters.

Oct 25, 2017

Taken from Twitter

Probably the correct choice

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
www.gamesradar.com

Dune 2 is not a sure thing – but director Denis Villeneuve is optimistic

Exclusive: "There’s no such thing as Dune 1 and Dune 2. It’s Dune: Part One and Dune: Part Two," Villeneuve tells Total Film

"There's no such thing as Dune 1 and Dune 2. It's Dune: Part One and Dune: Part Two," director Denis Villeneuve

"So the first thing was to prove that there was a beautiful, popular movie that can exist, and I think that I proved that – everybody at Warner Bros and Legendary, they are 100 percent behind the project. They feel that it would need a really bad outcome at the box office to not have a Dune: Part Two, because they love the movie. They are proud of the movie, so they want the movie to move forward. And they still did half of it. So, you know, I'm very optimistic."

As for Villeneuve, he's currently hard at work on that return trip, praying to the makers that enough people share his dreams. "I'm writing [Part Two] now, and I feel like I'm eight years old again," he says, flashing a childlike grin. "That's very uncommon for me. It's the first time I've experienced it where I'm watching one of my movies, and I have a moment of deep gratitude, of deep joy, and I say, 'Thank you, life, for having allowed me to bring that to the screen.'

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
omg I'm so excited for this damn movie

Bardem as the Fremen Naib Stilgar, so good

Zendaya actually seems to nail it as Chani

I can't get over the casting it's amazing

Mobius 1

Oct 27, 2017
North Point, Osean Federation
yXMMsAJ.png

"I'm 99.87% certain that Epstein didn't' kill himself".

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
So many regional trailers dropping these days with new glimpses of footage. Don't feel the point at posting them all since the movie is 'around the corner' but it's looking fantastic. They really play with scale in this film but also moving-camera shots (and handcam) when they want to bring it closer. There's one scene that looks to be very spoilerific and that's not 1:1 with the book (more due to lack of detail) but looks very promising.
What's interesting this week is that we should get our first in-detail reviews after the movie has its world-premiere in Venice this Thursday. Hype!

Gemüsepizza

Oct 26, 2017
Lmao, just saw this now... what the hell is wrong with those release dates?

Germany / EU:
September 16

USA / UK:
October 22 -> 36 days later

Australia:
December 2 -> 77 days later

Still not sure if I should watch it in theater or wait for the home release. The decision for making part 2 surely won't be just based on box office performance, right? Would be kind of silly in these times...

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017
Still not sure if I should watch it in theater or wait for the home release. The decision for making part 2 surely won't be just based on box office performance, right? Would be kind of silly in these times...

It's Warner Brothers.

It absolutely will be, and they won't acknowledge their own insanity and idiocy as part of the problem either. Sending the film out with release dates like that is sending it out to die.

Video Kojima

Banned
Apr 5, 2020
Just FYI we US and UK folks have to wait another 5 weeks because of James Bond. Meanwhile everyone else gets to watch it Mid September.

Unbelievable.

FarronFox

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Just FYI we US and UK folks have to wait another 5 weeks because of James Bond. Meanwhile everyone else gets to watch it Mid September.

Unbelievable.

Dont think 'everyone else' is quite right.

If you look a few posts up you'll see it seems Australia is set to get it in December. Although a lot of Australia is in lockdown so wouldn't even be possible for those places to probably see it in cinemas there mid September.

OP
OP
luca

luca

Oct 25, 2017
I'm gonna have to keep an eye out for tickets if it really premieres here on September 16.

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if someone at WB thinks the staggered release will help build word of mouth

It absolutely won't, and they know it won't. This will really hurt the film - it's going to be pirated to fuck and back. I honestly think Warner wants this to flop so they don't have to make a sequel at this point.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
It absolutely won't, and they know it won't. This will really hurt the film - it's going to be pirated to fuck and back. I honestly think Warner wants this to flop so they don't have to make a sequel at this point.
Idk why they green lit that show when that's going to flop even harder than the movie smh.

Mobius 1

Oct 27, 2017
North Point, Osean Federation
Even if not staggered, releasing it on HBO Max at the same time means death by piracy. It will be on torrent sites 2 hours after the premiere. WB really is run by imbeciles.

Video Kojima

Banned
Apr 5, 2020
Staggered releases never work and undermine word of mouth. You think Twitter hype will mean anything , 5 weeks later?
Unfathomable to not just release it all on the same day.
Also James Bond will probably get another delay.

Oct 30, 2017
What is the easiest way I can differentiate between Duncan Idaho and Gurney Halleck when reading the book? I struggle to separate them since their roles and demeanors are really similar.

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Apparently the first screening of Dune in Venice (world premiere) finishes in 12 hours 15 minutes from now (1:45 am PT, 10:45 am CEST/local). So that's the first possible moments we can start to see impressions dropping on Twitter.

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
Is it even possible for the general public to buy tix to a TIFF screening? I'd definitely be willing to make the drive but I suspect it's all sold out by now right

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
Hey, guess what's releasing tomorrow?

Hans Zimmer's Dune Sketchbook soundtrack! I hope it's on Spotify. It "features extended, immersive musical explorations of the film score".

Track list:

1. Song of the Sisters (16:25)
2. I See You in My Dreams (18:25)
3. House Atreides (13:54)
4. The Shortening of the Way (11:14)
5. Paul's Dream (7:03)
6. Moon over Caladan (8:34)
7. Shai-hulud (9:47)
8. Mind-killer (11:11)
9. Grains of Sand (5:12)

The actual soundtrack for the movie's out September 17th, and the Art & Soul of Dune soundtrack on October 22nd.

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017
What is the easiest way I can differentiate between Duncan Idaho and Gurney Halleck when reading the book? I struggle to separate them since their roles and demeanors are really similar.

It is amusing how little a character Duncan Idaho is in the first book. Of all the cast, he's the least developed by far. It's fascinating how he ends up in the series.

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
It is amusing how little a character Duncan Idaho is in the first book.

I actually wonder if he has more than a page of dialogue.. He does play an important role but yeah; I remember him being mostly present through references. But given the importance of the character to Paul (especially in later books) it makes sense to have more focus on him in the movie.

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
First impression I believe. This reviewer went immediately from watching Dune to watching Spencer so I guess this is all he had time to write in-between (some other reviewers are now watching Dune second showing after having watched Spencer) :

Bora Horza

Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
Hey, guess what's releasing tomorrow?

Hans Zimmer's Dune Sketchbook soundtrack! I hope it's on Spotify. It "features extended, immersive musical explorations of the film score".

Track list:

1. Song of the Sisters (16:25)
2. I See You in My Dreams (18:25)
3. House Atreides (13:54)
4. The Shortening of the Way (11:14)
5. Paul's Dream (7:03)
6. Moon over Caladan (8:34)
7. Shai-hulud (9:47)
8. Mind-killer (11:11)
9. Grains of Sand (5:12)

The actual soundtrack for the movie's out September 17th, and the Art & Soul of Dune soundtrack on October 22nd.

It's out on Spotify 😀 will listen to it when walking the dog later