Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yes, I am a gamer. I'm also a conversative who always chooses the female avatar over a male in most games. Crazy huh?
5367.jpg

---

The word has a shitty connotation so I don't, really. I'd also like to think there's more to what I'm doing with my life than playing video games.

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't identify as a gamer. I'm definitely a gaming enthusiast and I love watching the business side of the industry. But at the end of the day gaming is a throwaway hobby to me much like watching TV or reading books.

Chackan

Oct 31, 2017
Well, yes lol I consider gaming one of my main hobbies, alongside with music, reading, etc.

People just don't go around saying "I'm a Reader" when they read books, otherwise I would be a "Reader" too.

Don't see anything wrong in summarizing a sentence like "I like to play videogames" to just one word.

Naner

Oct 27, 2017
In its most basic sense, gamer means "someone who plays video games". So yeah I'm a gamer. Just because there are asshole gamers around, doesn't mean gamers == assholes.

RadzPrower

One Winged Slayer
Jan 19, 2018
Former gamer...for multiple reasons.

I used to play a lot of games, but wife and kids start taking up what little free time I have, so I'm a weekend warrior mostly.

Plus, "gamer" has a lot of negative connotation online these days, so probably best to distance yourself from that moniker.

Squid Bunny

One Winged Slayer
Jun 11, 2018
I play games, so yes. But I don't really buy into the "gaming culture" thing and all.

Like it was mentioned above, games don't really have a broad description definition of "gamer" the same way "book reader" and "moviegoer" exist for their media. If someone is described a "moviegoer", there is an implication of casual liking of movies (maybe you go to the movies once or twice a month). "Gamers" is a term that describes what we would call "film geeks" or "cinephiles" in film fandom, not just a casual gamer.

Nephrahim

Jun 9, 2018
It seems to me that there are two, separate arguments going on.

One is "Calling yourself a gamer is silly because it's just a hobby. You do lots of other hobbies like read or go to movies." And the second is "I'm not a Gamer because it's became a Misogynistic label."

They seem so separate that having them both in the same topic seems bizarre.

Mattersnotnow

Jan 15, 2018
No. I have no personal definition of what a gamer is and whenever I hear others around me use the term it doesn't seem to be a good descriptor for me and my gaming habits.

Kryst

Banned
Jul 30, 2018
Someone at work asked me if I was a gamer.
I cringed and said no.

Go back to when people who played games were just called nerds or geeks.
Rather be called that than "gamer".

Deleted member 426

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't and I don't think it's a useful term. Gaming is mainstream. There's all sorts of people who game and none of them fit neatly in to one group.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
No - gamer culture is pathetic, and I don't even play enough anyway

I don't identify myself as a skiier, guitarist, drinker, eater, writer, climber, biker etc. These are all hobbies that don't define me and I certainly don't try to adhere to some faux culture within each

hobblygobbly

Oct 25, 2017
NORDFRIESLAND, DEUTSCHLAND
I have other hobbies and interests too, I play games, but my identity is not defined by a single interest of gaming and who I am as being a gamer.

My identity is the sum of who I am, I like nature and outdoor events like mountain biking, I play music, I attend metal gigs/concerts and involve myself in the local scene, I'm part of the local amateur astronomy club, and I attend monthly organised engineering meetups for sharing ideas and meeting new people/connections. I enjoy and do all this regularly. Saying I identify as a gamer is really one dimensional.

So yeah I agree with you, identifying as one thing in particular is silly, because most time when people do this its from an exclusive attitude like that "I Am A Gamer" BS, and nobody asks "what do you identify as" (I'm not talking in the sexuality context, as that's different and valid), people ask what are your interests and hobbies.

Deleted member 5127

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ITT we all pretend we're not on a gaming message board.

It's just a word, no reason to take it so seriously. Trying to distance yourself from it is as cringe as people who make it their core identity.

This is like those gaming shirts threads, I always crack up reading those.

Chackan

Oct 31, 2017
Humm, drja vu on this thread or I already replied to it and don't remember.

Anyway, I like videogames as one of my main hobbies so yes, I identify myself as a gamer.

I just don't identify myself as ONLY a gamer. I am also a casual musician, hiking lover, comic book nerd, cinephile, and more.

I am also a father, husband, and such. Does one of these things sum my whole existence? No, but they all contribute to what I am, so...!

Dunno what is wrong with saying I'm a gamer, really.

Oct 26, 2017
ITT we all pretend we're not on a gaming message board.

It's just a word, no reason to take it so seriously. Trying to distance yourself from it is as cringe as people who make it their core identity.

This is like those gaming shirts threads, I always crack up reading those.

Yep. If you are interested enough in gaming as to be here in a daily basis... congrats, you are a gamer. It doesn't have to mean your 'identity revolves around being a gamer', but you are one.

Oct 25, 2017
I like how y'all are talking about people being cringey because they build their identity around being a gamer, and then also talk about how important it is that people who talk about games on a games message board must be gamers. Methinks you might be too invested in a label.

Gardog

Apr 17, 2018
I would never say "I'm a gamer" because that's just gross.

I won't even discuss videogames with someone unless they bring it up first.

When people ask me about my hobbies I'd be quicker to tell them I watch anime than admit to playing games.

It's a label that has always had a negative stigma and that has only become worse lately.

Davoid

Jun 15, 2018
No...

Hn, I don't really care about the stigma and such, but I definitely don't really relate to people who do (call themselves gamers, I guess. I find even tastes in games between myself and people I know who consider themselves gamers is very different).

I think I spend more time designing and developing games than playing them? I mostly play games to analyze them and take them apart more than to "play them". My job is to make video games and stuff though, so I dunno if "developer" or "gamer" is a bigger thing, then, ha ha ha.

I also spend more time with other hobbies, I guess, like skateboarding or writing music, so I guess "gaming" isn't really the main thing I consider my identity to revolve around.

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
Used to. It was my entire identity up through early college. After that I realized I'd rather not tie myself down to that and be open to other things. Gamer culture also can be rude, abrasive, immature, tactless, misogynistic, dumb, and all sorts of other bad things, so I don't feel too bad about it not being an identity marker anymore. I do miss taking pride in it as a kid, though. When I met a fellow gamer I knew we'd instantly be friends. Things just get more complicated as you get older, I guess.

I post on ResetERA a lot, so I obviously still identify with "gamers" quite a bit. It's still my number one hobby, I still love games, I love talking about games and playing games and writing articles about games on occasion. I keep up with some personalities on Youtube and own some merch. I can't say I'm not a nerd. But I dunno, it doesn't feel right to say I'm a gamer these days. I just like games in addition to the other stuff I do in my life.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
"Gamer" to me was just someone who played and enjoyed videogames. So yeah, I consider myself a gamer even though it's apparently a horrible term now.

I mean, I also consider myself a gym rat because I'm there often and religiously. I have friends that are "beer snobs". Doesn't mean that's your only interest.

Madao

Avalanche's One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
never. i have never called myself any of these geeky poisoned words.

i just say i like games the same way i like movies and music, etc.

Deleted member 10060

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I find it rather pitiful how people refuse to use a word because a bunch of assholes have chosen to rally behind it, effectively handing ownership of it to them on a silver platter.

Also amused by the " I refuse to let a word define me" crowd. It doesn't, but you thinking it does says quite a bit.

Norgler

Nov 13, 2017
I find it rather pitiful how people refuse to use a word because a bunch of assholes have chosen to rally behind it, effectively handing ownership of it to them on a silver platter.

Also amused by the " I refuse to let a word define me" crowd. It doesn't, but you thinking it does says quite a bit.
If we don't want to identify as gamers that should be fine.. I do way more in my life than game.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
If we don't want to identify as gamers that should be fine.. I do way more in my life than game.

If I say I'm a gamer it doesn't mean that is all I do. I've always found this interpretation very odd. I'm a gamer, a runner, a kayaker, a cyclist, a father, a husband, a programmer and so on. No one thing defines me.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
I never fucking identified as a gamer. It's just something I call it to say "I like playing games".

I was a gamer because I play games. That was all it ever meant to me, but I'm a "gamer" no more because cultural movements has decided it's now unanimously associated with its worst actors.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No. I have a lot of hobbies. Even tho gaming is one of my biggest ones. After the hilarious "puddle" Spider-Man nonsese, I'm glad I never did.